PDA

View Full Version : Gamefirst III software still waiting!

Brighttail
10-14-2014, 12:10 AM
Asus has this on their ROG page and it really looks good, would love to use it to help moderate my home network, but as we all know it disables/hinders the LAN driver/device which means it completely makes it useless. It would be nice if someone would get back to us to let us folks know what is the deal for the Hero VII z97 motherboard and this software?

Still waiting! Just even a note acknowledging us to say, "Hey we know it is an issue and are working on it." would suffice.

Thanks,
BT

SpaceNinjaPirate
10-14-2014, 11:01 PM
I was actually about to post something similar but see that at least one other concerned owner beat me to it. I would really like all of the features on this board (for which I paid a premium price) to actually work.

To recap, for the Asus techs that might be perusing this forum. On my brand new installation of Windows 7 64-bit (Maximus VII Hero board), as soon as I install the Gamefirst III app, the network interface appears to function but does not connect to ANY network. It does not get an address from the DHCP server and thus can't communicate on my network at all. As soon as the Gamefirst III app is disabled (as in all services turned off) or uninstalled, the network works fine. I am now currently running without the Gamefirst III app though I wish I could use it as it is functionality I feel I could use.

EDIT: Because the network interface cannot get an address from the DHCP server, I end up with an APIPA address. Without going through all of the hassle to confirm this, it is almost like the GameFirst III app is messing with the network interface on a layer 2 capacity. Either that, or it starts to mess with the routing table or even introduces dumb routing rules like block all traffic by default. Once again, these are just guesses based on my limited knowledge of what the GameFirst III software actually does.

Brighttail
10-15-2014, 12:01 AM
The same thing happens to me, exactly to the letter. The network comes up as "unidentified network". It would be nice for the moderators or Asus tech support folks that actually do read this to at least come forth and say one of the following:

1. Oh this is a problem? We didn't know. We'll get on it.
2. This is a known problem we are working on it.
3. It isn't our software, go bug the manufacturer.

Some kind of response would be awesome!

Dennis L
10-20-2014, 11:39 PM
Still waiting

SpaceNinjaPirate
10-23-2014, 02:22 AM
Gonna add a "me too" on this one because I still see there's nothing new posted and still no new word about whether anyone at Asus even considers this an issue.

Brighttail
10-24-2014, 02:57 AM
This is one of the reasons I bought the Hero VII was for this feature and not only does it NOT work, but ASUS isn't even acknowledging this fact. They are ignoring our repeated questions about this software in the forums which they are supposed to read and patrol. I called customer service and the poor guy on the other end of the phone had no idea what I was talking about. So i guess Asus doesn't care and I'm shocked at this level of indifference. :(

Brighttail
10-24-2014, 04:51 AM
Well i have posted on Twitter and I have emailed Tech support about this issue. We'll see if either of those gets some answers. At this point I'm getting ready to build a new office computer that is going to require some high end items for rendering and was considering the Asus Forumla motherboard, but after having similar issues with the lack of support for my Asus video card, I'm strongly considering moving to an MSI board, which would be a shame because I have had Asus in my computer for the last 10 years. Sadly I'm getting very frustrated at the little things like this that seemingly take forever to get resolved if at all.

Tokens210
10-28-2014, 04:42 PM
Gamefirst is just the GUI you use to shape the traffic as far as I know, the internet adapter is Intel and the software game first runs is Intel related speedcos or something software for their adapters, gamefirst is just Asus's user interface

I'm running the rig in my Sig although I'm currently running a VI series so I have gamefirst II I believe, gamefirst works flawlessly perfect example, I was downloading defiance a 20+GB game, was downloading at 2mb per second, opened gamefirst and set the downloader to highest priority it immediately jumped to 20mb per second

I also have a home networks so I can access my music movies and pictures on all PCs in my household which works fine even with gamefirst

Also an FYI, your board only came with the version that it shipped with, if you clicked the popup saying there was an update and downloaded that without paying that could be an issue, also if you tried downloading a newer version from a different series of board that could also be an issue

Brighttail
10-28-2014, 08:48 PM
Hey Tokens, thanks for your input. I have downloaded all the latest internet LAN drivers and appropriate drivers from Intel and Asus for this motherboard and have looked for any new updates for Gamefirst III which there are not.

I did FINALLY get a response from Asus Tech Support via email and the first thing he wanted me to do was to uninstall the software and completely remove my motherboard from the case and put it on a box?? The only reason you do this is to make sure there isn't some sort of short coming from the case. I'm very surprised at this "advice" as it is not a "shorting" issue, for if it was, then you have about 20-30 other users who have posted who all have the same issues, which is frankly at the low end of probability. But at least it is a response, so I guess that it is a start.

After 10+ years of using Asus equipment and dealing with fairly good customer service through the years, I have to say I'm frankly very disappointed in how this issue has been handled, well not handled basically. Personally I'm getting the impression that no one at Asus really cares about this particular issue for it has taken over 30 days to get even a response, still not a single person from Asus has posted on the ROG forums about it and the fact that they want me to disassemble my computer to take the motherboard out to test a software issue.

Tokens210
10-28-2014, 10:02 PM
I understand the frustrations, hopefully they will address it at some point for you guys and not treat it like the frozen bios issues on the VI series boards (which if you never heard of this issue you can look on the maximus vi series thread and have a good laugh lol) and I know my response wasn't like a fix or anything others may have been looking for i was just simply putting it out there that from what ive seen playing with my gamefirst II was that gamefirst is just the interface, the adapter itself is Intel and the software actually running under gamefirst is speedcos or something like that so I personally would allow rog a little wiggle room for now as it may be gamefirst or it may be one of the other pieces of software or hardware

Again this isn't a fix or anything you'd would love but at least your topic hasent been buried and hopefully you'll get some answers

As for them not caring I personally believed from other things I've seen like the bios clock issues, it seems like recently communication between the Asus teams is lacking, where customer support won't know about issues and won't know anything to tell you except basic troubleshooting like rebooting and such which 90% of us do before we would call lol

Apologies on any crazy misspellings or anything lol recently my phone has decided to autocorrect words spelled correctly with gibberish lol

Brighttail
10-29-2014, 01:12 AM
No worries. I should make clear the person who wants me to take the motherboard out of the case is Tech Support and NOT customer support. Seriously? It blows my mind since I'm very capable with computers. I did all the basic and even advance trouble shooting and this is the best that they can give me?? Not impressed.

HappyBuddhaman
11-11-2014, 12:11 PM
Odd, mine works fine, except for when I click on the Network Monitor tab, then it locks up and doesn't respond at all.

Brighttail
11-12-2014, 04:59 AM
Odd, mine works fine, except for when I click on the Network Monitor tab, then it locks up and doesn't respond at all.

You are a lucky one. There are at least 20 of us who have been asking about this for a while now with zero response. Even technical support has ignored my inquiries about it. :(

Rorshack
11-12-2014, 07:16 AM
Not sure if this pertains to this thread however after installing my hero vii mb along with the software i found i could not open Geforce Experience. This was due to the gamefirst software interfering. I uninstalled gamefirst and voila geforce works perfectly. Just thought i would thread that here in case others have similar issue opening program.

myrz
11-17-2014, 02:10 AM
Glad i saw this thread because I was thinking about buying this board. It scares me that there is little or no support. it's a shame because this seemed to be nice full featured motherboard. back to the drawing board of either ASrock, MSI or gigiabyte. first I will research their customer service reputations. so far I hear ASrock has good support. These boards with so many features and by adding any combination of other hardware installed there can be any number of conflicts. If there is no support, then why bother purchasing! I don't feel like spending days if not weeks trouble shooting. I'd rather be gaming! Asus is a big company and having a satisfactory profit margin maybe is the reason they are not worried about their customers!

Tokens210
11-17-2014, 06:11 PM
Glad i saw this thread because I was thinking about buying this board. It scares me that there is little or no support. it's a shame because this seemed to be nice full featured motherboard. back to the drawing board of either ASrock, MSI or gigiabyte. first I will research their customer service reputations. so far I hear ASrock has good support. These boards with so many features and by adding any combination of other hardware installed there can be any number of conflicts. If there is no support, then why bother purchasing! I don't feel like spending days if not weeks trouble shooting. I'd rather be gaming! Asus is a big company and having a satisfactory profit margin maybe is the reason they are not worried about their customers!

If you use USB devices like flash drive and external hard drives I can say from personal experience the I recently built my rig in my Sig, and built I friend of mine a PC last year using an asrock board, his USB speeds are more then double mine, using USB turbo on my formula I get 30-40MB per second, using his asrock and the same exact flash drive it gets 60-80MB per second, of course this isn't guaranteed and they may have changed there stuff now but it was my experience

Also this would only be a factor if u actually used flash and external hard drives often

myrz
11-18-2014, 01:45 AM
Good to know and thanks! the ASRock z97 xtreme 6 is on sale through newegg and I may consider going with that. This is probably off topic and my apologies for hijacking the thread, but does anyone have info about the killer e2200 lan that comes on the msi boards? I read it's kind of a gimmick, and that most new intel gigabit lans act the same or same benefits? thanks in advance!

Brighttail
11-23-2014, 06:33 PM
No clue, mate.

Tokens210
11-23-2014, 07:54 PM
I've heard the samething, that Intel's Ethernet controller is now on point to what the older cards like killer lan cards and such did

So performance would probly be similar

But I do personally like the new lan controller the vii boards are using now as well, with the chips instead of the tiny tiny hand made parts lol, not sure if other boards have it yet, some probly do

SpaceNinjaPirate
01-01-2015, 07:59 AM
Well, I know I'm necroing this thread, but once again there still has been no word or apparent movement from ASUS on this issue.

Recently ran into another issue where I freshly downloaded the latest version of the AI Suite and it would not run... it would just crash. Rather than go through another round of being ignored by ASUS, I'm done with this board. It's getting ripped out of this machine and replaced with something from MSI. I've had ZERO issues with the other MSI boards I have running in other gaming systems. I thought I'd give ASUS the benefit of the doubt based on the cool new features it had like GameFirst and stuff, but nope... guess it was wasted money when none of the extra features work and ASUS has a history of poor customer service and dragging their feet on bug fixes and supporting software updates.

Sorry ASUS, you had your chance.

Spamjavlin
09-10-2015, 08:36 PM
A year on and it would seem the problem still exists and I'm currently browsing these forums to see if there was ever a fix for this.
Just bought the Maximus VII Ranger mb and gamefirst just kills my internet connection.

Guess I'll just have to live without it but feel it's a disgrace if this ain't been fixed or even looked at by Asus in over a year.

Dr4g0n36
02-16-2016, 11:01 AM
A year on and it would seem the problem still exists and I'm currently browsing these forums to see if there was ever a fix for this.
Just bought the Maximus VII Ranger mb and gamefirst just kills my internet connection.

Guess I'll just have to live without it but feel it's a disgrace if this ain't been fixed or even looked at by Asus in over a year.

Here are in 2016 ona a G752VT equipped with ROG Game first III and the problem still remains (v 1.00.27). Geforce Experience incompatibility and random connection high latency (PC - Gigabit NAS) on a Centrino wifi 7265 AC.