PDA

View Full Version : Which SSD's in G751 and what can you replace them with?

kennycol
10-14-2014, 04:18 AM
I'm looking between the G751JT-CH71 and the G751JT-DH72. Both have the GTX 970M and a 1TB HDD but the DH72 comes with 256GB SSD (2 128GB SSD's in RAID0). From what I've read the SSD's are PCIe M.2 format , which gives them a higher max theoretical speed than you can get with SATA3.

What are the brand and model of the SSD's that are shipping in the G751's that have SSD's and what are their read and write speeds?

Which PCIe M.2 SSD's can we put in this laptop and will we get full speed out of them? Can we throw in two of them and run them in RAID 0 like is being done with the stock 128GB drives in the DH72? Can we toss in two PCIe M.2 SSD's in the CH71 and will they work (and be able to run them in RIAD 0) without adding any other hardware?

Can we throw in aftermarket drives like the SAMSUNG XP941 and get full speed from them?

Thanks for any info people might have!

_
10-14-2014, 07:18 AM
> There's only 1x M.2 slot, the other SSD will be SATA3 based for RAID 0. Personally I would not bother choosing the RAID 0 option, just pick the 1x M.2 SSD option and leave the other space for a large storage HDD.
> We don't ever state brand of M.2 SSD installed because it varies of the life of the product as SSD supply is never guaranteed and sometimes retailers add their own to create a unique G series SKU for their store. Best contact your retailer to check this exactly.
> The G751JT I have on hand has a 256GB XP941 installed. AS SSD numbers are 1115/739 r/w from one of the 128GB partitions.

WhiteEyeDoll
10-14-2014, 01:13 PM
Hey MarshallR,

Can you tell if the ODD in G751JY is replaceable with 12,7 mm slimline caddy to achieve total of 3 ssd/hdd slots.

Also if it is, is the ODD easily removable by unscrewing one screw under the upgrade hatch and sliding the caddy out?

Edit: And is the ODD connected via SATA II or III?

kennycol
10-14-2014, 09:34 PM
Thanks for the info! Just for clarification...

You say that there is 1x M.2 slot...do you mean that just one of the bays is M.2? Or am I just misunderstanding the way PCIe M.2 works? From what it looks like from pictures I've seen (and from all the specs of all the models that ship with SSD's in the machine) there are two drive bays...one has the normal 2.5" SATA3 connection (that ships with a 1TB HDD) and the other has room for two PCIe M.2 cards. The PCIe M.2 bay with two slots is where the G751's with SSD's come with two PCIe M.2 cards in a RAID 0 array, no?

What I would like to know is for a G751 that comes without the SSD drives, will I still have two PCIe M.2 card slots available to me and do I get the full bandwidth of PCIe M.2 (10Gbit/s I think) for each of those cards? Can I have two in there in RAID 0? Can I have two in there and leave them as individual drives?

Someone posted in another thread (that you had responded to earlier Marshall) that "The M.2 slot in the G751JY is achieved via SATA adapter card that takes up one of the two 2,5" slots." ("http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?52551-Pcie-ssd). I really hope that that isn't correct...that the M.2 slot isn't just an adapter on a SATA port. That would limit the bandwidth to SATA3's 6Gbit/s bandwidth rather than the 10Gbit/s you'd get from a true PCIe M.2 port. And the fact that Marshall above posted that the G751 he has on hand has Samsung XP941 SSD's in it definitely strongly suggests that it's a true PCIe M.2 port. It wouldn't make any sense to use that card in a slower SATA3 port (assuming it's compatible...which I haven't looked at). And Marshall said that the "SSD numbers are 1115/739 r/w from one of the 128GB partitions" which is much higher than the 550 that you usually see for read speeds from SATA3 drives.

_
10-15-2014, 01:19 AM
One of the bays has a dual slot: SATA and M.2. I'll be putting pictures up next week.

WhiteEyeDoll
10-15-2014, 01:31 PM
One of the bays has a dual slot: SATA and M.2. I'll be putting pictures up next week.

But is the M.2 handled via SATA or PCIE protocol?

_
10-15-2014, 02:09 PM
But is the M.2 handled via SATA or PCIE protocol?

PCIE x4

kennycol
10-15-2014, 05:19 PM
Sweet! That's what I was hoping/assuming. And even for the G751's that don't ship with SSD's it will still have two ports to plug in PCIe M.2 cards? And will we be able to run those in RAID 0 or as individual drives?

Thanks for all the info Marshall!

kennycol
10-15-2014, 09:33 PM
Oh, also...Marshall you mentioned in another thread that you had to have an adapter for plugging in the PCIe M.2 cards and that you didn't think that the G751's that shipped without the SSD's would have that adapter...do you happen to know if we'll be able to buy that adapter separately? And will it be available soon?

I'd hate to buy a G751 without SSD's and buy a PCIe M.2 card or two along with it...then be left without a way to plug them in. That would be a total bummer.

Joystick
10-15-2014, 10:20 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akjzKO4HfQQ
-> 13:15

I think we misunderstood the word "adapter". It seems the "adapter" is not an adapter plugged to a connector, but just a support for the ssd. Waiting for confirmation.

hmscott
10-16-2014, 12:44 AM
... I think we misunderstood the word "adapter". It seems the "adapter" is not an adapter plugged to a connector, but just a support for the ssd. Waiting for confirmation.

Joystick, the question is, why would you want to plug in a 2.5" drive using SATA III speeds, instead of using the much faster PCIE connection?

Unless all G751's have that PCIE connection even if they are budget versions that come with a 2.5" boot drive, so you could pull the 2.5" drive and install a M.2 PCIE SSD later? I would hope so :)

I would like to see the G751 RAID0 PCIE x 2 layout - does it have another PCIE connector punch-out and cable to the motherboard, or both SSD's share the single PCIE connection back to the motherboard, and how well does the RAID0 scale, hopefully as close to 2x as possible.

The CrystalDiskMark performance for a single M.2 PCIE SSD is great :)
Read/Write
Seq 935.7/674.9
512k 513.5/586.1
4k 25.68/63.88
4k QD32 246.5/196.0

Performance numbers from the Video:

3dmark Fire Strike 8469 - Why not show the other results from the test run, Cloud Gate, Sky Diver, Ice Storm ?

PCMark8 3857

3dmark11 P11237

The G751JY is running cool, CPU 75c and 69c GPU max temps during the 3dmark11 run.

Lubert85
10-16-2014, 05:36 AM
Sweet! That's what I was hoping/assuming. And even for the G751's that don't ship with SSD's it will still have two ports to plug in PCIe M.2 cards? And will we be able to run those in RAID 0 or as individual drives?

Thanks for all the info Marshall!

I would also like and answer on the question about the g751 that dosnt ship with the m.2 ssd, if i could buy one later.

Joystick
10-16-2014, 12:20 PM
Joystick, the question is, why would you want to plug in a 2.5" drive using SATA III speeds, instead of using the much faster PCIE connection?

Who said that? :confused:

1) MarshallR told us that the M.2 PCIE 3.0 x4 connector is using PCIE protocol and not a "PCIE to SATA III"-Frankenstein-thing protocol, so the 6Gbit/s limit is gone. It means a M.2 PCIE SSD must be on your buying list, or already in your future G751 configuration.

2) There is a cheap G751JY configuration in some countries: 16GB of RAM and 1TB HD. MarshallR wrote here http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?52551-Pcie-ssd he doesn't think the "adapter" is shipped if you don't buy the M.2 model. The adapter was misunderstood as an adapter of a connector, but it seems the adapter is just a piece of metal.

3) Buying the cheap configuration is up to you. It could be you already have some DDR3L RAM and a SATA III SSD in your notebook, or you don't need more DDR3L and a SATA SSD. In that case you just need a M.2 PCIE SSD and some piece of metal to build the support.

4) Does the cheap configuration have a M.2 PCIE connector? Maybe now it's the case, maybe in two weeks the connector is gone. The point is MarshallR cannot follow every change of every product in every country, so it's up to you to verify. After all it's you, not MarshallR, who will spend some "kilo-money". But feel free to have a childish behavior and buying without asking to your shop to see the M.2 PCIE connector and then blaming MarshallR. :D

hmscott
10-16-2014, 01:25 PM
Who said that? :confused:
...4) Does the cheap configuration have a M.2 PCIE connector? Maybe now it's the case, maybe in two weeks the connector is gone. The point is MarshallR cannot follow every change of every product in every country, so it's up to you to verify. After all it's you, not MarshallR, who will spend some "kilo-money". But feel free to have a childish behavior and buying without asking to your shop to see the M.2 PCIE connector and then blaming MarshallR. :D

...I think we misunderstood the word "adapter". It seems the "adapter" is not an adapter plugged to a connector, but just a support for the ssd. Waiting for confirmation ( From Marshall ).

Who said that? :confused:...

Joystick, I think that was you :)

_
10-16-2014, 03:00 PM
We will go take pics for an upgrade guide tomorrow afternoon (requires travelling across the city). Article will be up ~Tuesday/Weds. You'll see then :)

Joystick
10-16-2014, 03:38 PM
Joystick, I think that was you :)

I really don't understand how you come to this conclusion.
So you are certain that I said I... "want to plug in a 2.5" drive using SATA III speeds, instead of using the much faster PCIE connection?"
Instead of using a much faster connection on a 2.5" SSD? There isn't faster connection than SATA for a 2.5" SSD. You seem a lot confused, you blend "speed" with "connection", which is not the same thing. I don't follow your reasoning.

If you think that "adapter plugged to a connector" means "adapter plugged to a SATA connector" that is your interpretation, for me it means "adapter plugged to a proprietary or standard connector on the motherboard".

But if you are feeling better if you are thinking I said what I didn't say, feel free to think I said it, because your health is what I care more about.
Sorry I have to go back to my life.

kennycol
10-16-2014, 08:28 PM
That's a great video! Thanks for the link! That definitely looks different than what I had seen before. I must have seen something from the latest G750's or something else. It had a caddy that had two ports on the top.

Either way...from that video I only see one PCIe M.2 port. Does the G751 really support two M.2 SSD cards? Or only one? Maybe the second port is under the top one and the second card goes on the bottom of that little caddy? I guess it's possible but it seems unlikely.

Some of the reports for the G751's with SSD's just state 256GB SSD...they dont' specify that it's two 128's in RAID 0. I thought maybe I had messed up and just assumed it was two 128's in RAID but I just checked one of the ones posted at newegg (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834232199) and it has 24GB Memory 1TB HDD 256 GB (2x128G RAID) SSD listed.

Marshall, can you comment on whether or not there are two PCIe M.2 connections on the G751?

Thanks!

hmscott
10-16-2014, 09:49 PM
...from that video I only see one PCIe M.2 port. Does the G751 really support two M.2 SSD cards? Or only one? Maybe the second port is under the top one and the second card goes on the bottom of that little caddy? I guess it's possible but it seems unlikely.

Some of the reports for the G751's with SSD's just state 256GB SSD...they dont' specify that it's two 128's in RAID 0. I thought maybe I had messed up and just assumed it was two 128's in RAID but I just checked one of the ones posted at newegg (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834232199) and it has 24GB Memory 1TB HDD 256 GB (2x128G RAID) SSD listed.

Marshall, can you comment on whether or not there are two PCIe M.2 connections on the G751?

Thanks!

kennycol, it is confusing, I can't tell if the link for the $2499 model at Newegg is really a RAID0 2 x 128GB as it says, or if that is a listing mistake.

With the G750JH it was easy, at least in the US, there was only 1 G750JH config and it had RAID0 2 x 128GB, no need to double check.

The G750JZ base model had 1 M.2 SATA 256GB SSD on an M.2 SATA to 2.5" SATA adapter board, and only the $2999 G750JZ model had RAID0. But, I have heard of other configs from other countries as well.

The top of the line $2999 G751JY-DH72X listing on newegg doesn't even list a RAID0... only this: 512 GB SSD (PCIEG2) SSD

ASUS ROG G751 series G751JY-DH72X Gaming Laptop Intel Core i7 4860HQ (2.40GHz) 32GB Memory 1TB HDD 512 GB SSD (PCIEG2) SSD NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M 4GB 17.3" Windows 8.1 64-Bit
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834232204&cm_re=G751JY-_-34-232-204-_-Product

It's possible there is no RAID0 configuration for the new G751's, as the single M.2 PCIE is near enough as fast as a dual SSD M.2 SATA.

There was only one cutout in the plastic in Bay 1 for a single PCIE connection, unless there is a config that shares that PCIE connection with a double M.2 PCIE tray, there might only be at maximum a single M.2 PCIE variant in the G751.

hmscott
10-16-2014, 09:56 PM
I really don't understand how you come to this conclusion.
So you are certain that I said I... "want to plug in a 2.5" drive using SATA III speeds, instead of using the much faster PCIE connection?"
Instead of using a much faster connection on a 2.5" SSD? There isn't faster connection than SATA for a 2.5" SSD. You seem a lot confused, you blend "speed" with "connection", which is not the same thing. I don't follow your reasoning.

If you think that "adapter plugged to a connector" means "adapter plugged to a SATA connector" that is your interpretation, for me it means "adapter plugged to a proprietary or standard connector on the motherboard".

But if you are feeling better if you are thinking I said what I didn't say, feel free to think I said it, because your health is what I care more about.
Sorry I have to go back to my life.

Joystick, you missed the subtlety of my response.

It should be translated as: I didn't say that about you, you derived the incorrect conclusion from my original response.

I never said it, or accused you of it, so the only person that said it, was you :)

ReDFoX2200
10-17-2014, 01:31 AM
what is exactly the difference between G751JT-CH71 and G751JT-DH72? is it only the 256GB M.2? There is almost $400 price difference, and only the SSD doesn't justify it.

hmscott
10-17-2014, 01:39 AM
what is exactly the difference between G751JT-CH71 and G751JT-DH72? is it only the 256GB M.2? There is almost $400 price difference, and only the SSD doesn't justify it.

ReDFoX2200, if you want to discuss off-topic items, we really should do it in another thread - do you want to start one?

kennycol
10-17-2014, 02:51 AM
I keep looking at the video posted showing the M.2 SSD bay and I just don't see them putting in two SSD cards in there. I think the retailers have just copy pasted details from the G750 and made modifications to match the G751 differences and they just left the 2x128GB RAID 0 detail in there assuming it was still the case.

I think the G751's only have one PCIe M.2 port/slot available. And I'm guessing that the $1500 model doesn't come with that little caddy to mount the card on. Hopefully it becomes available soon.

WhiteEyeDoll
10-17-2014, 12:48 PM
I just got informed by Asus Finland that every G751JY includes the PCIe x4 M.2 connector. Also if the laptop includes an SSD when its sold it is automatically an PCIe x4 M.2 SSD. Altough the M.2 caddy comes only with the M.2 SSD and not with single drive HDD only models (the connector is still there anyway).

BRSxIgnition
10-17-2014, 08:53 PM
I just got informed by Asus Finland that every G751JY includes the PCIe x4 M.2 connector. Also if the laptop includes an SSD when its sold it is automatically an PCIe x4 M.2 SSD. Altough the M.2 caddy comes only with the M.2 SSD and not with single drive HDD only models (the connector is still there anyway).

What about models without any type of SSD?

There's no definitive news as to whether or not those models come with a second 2.5" drive caddy in that bay or not.

I am personally going to be installing my own 2.5" 512GB SSD in that slot on my G751JT-CH71, so I'd obviously prefer a second drive caddy shipping with all non-ssd G751's.

Richdog
10-20-2014, 01:28 PM
Guys, can someone please confirm that changing the hard drive yourself does NOT result in a voided warranty? itr is a suer-replaceable part so I would hope that this was not the case, and that we are free to upgrade it whenever we choose.

WhiteEyeDoll
10-20-2014, 04:37 PM
Guys, can someone please confirm that changing the hard drive yourself does NOT result in a voided warranty? itr is a suer-replaceable part so I would hope that this was not the case, and that we are free to upgrade it whenever we choose.

The 2,5" bays, ODD and 2 of 4 RAM slots are user upgradeable. Tinkering with them does NOT void the warranty. They are meant to be maintained by the user. Hence the easy to open (one screw) bottom hatch.

Joystick
10-24-2014, 02:44 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVUGGFX4Bx0
(internals from the top starting at 18:50)

-> 21:33
Apparently there are sellers who have no idea what they are sell... Uhm, who are thinking maybe there are 2 SSD PCIE connectors, but they are not sure.

sc00byy
10-24-2014, 04:47 PM
I have a G751JY in hand and it comes with a 256 SSD PCIE. There's only one PCIE connector in HDD tray 1 the other one is a standard SATA in tray 2.

toronto699
10-24-2014, 11:40 PM
http://tech4gamers.com/adata-1tb-m-2-ssd/ not available till 2015 as adata told me today . 4th quater
of 2014 , 4th quarter is here already
I would pay any cost for the M.2 1tb the asus G751 with M.2 512gb is hard to find in Canada

DungeonShredder
10-25-2014, 06:20 AM
my G751jy came with 256gb ssd and 1tb spinner took it apart there is a sata connector on the opposite side of the spinner bay
(2 - sata) and (1 - M.2) can only use 2 at once.

ZerockX
10-26-2014, 05:22 AM
So the easy access one is PCIe, the hidden one is Sata3. Am i right?

Sharobious
10-26-2014, 12:21 PM
There's 2 bays like any G-series. 1 simply shares a PCIe slot as well, meaning you can either use the SATA or PCIe, but not both.

stevenlee
10-27-2014, 02:31 AM
HI
someone has disassembled the Asus G751JY, you can see from the internal pictures, the SSD should be with NGFF port
disassembly here http://www.laptopultra.com/guide/asus-g751jy-disassembly-to-upgrade-ram-ssd-hdd/

FlexBravo
11-14-2014, 04:38 AM
I have arriving tomorrow a G751JT-CH71 from New Egg. This has the 1TB HDD. Will I be able to put in an M.2 PCI-E SSD in one bay for my C: drive and run the 1TB HDD SATA in the other bay as my D: drive?
I'm trying to find out on the forums because if I open the box New Egg charges a 25% restocking fee if I decide to send it back for the PCI-E version.

Zusas
11-15-2014, 07:34 AM
I have arriving tomorrow a G751JT-CH71 from New Egg. This has the 1TB HDD. Will I be able to put in an M.2 PCI-E SSD in one bay for my C: drive and run the 1TB HDD SATA in the other bay as my D: drive?
I'm trying to find out on the forums because if I open the box New Egg charges a 25% restocking fee if I decide to send it back for the PCI-E version.

You can install the M.2 drive, but there is no mount for it with that model as I bought the same one. There have been others that have taped the drive down, but several of us are waiting for an official response. There isn't a way to purchase a mounting brace for it. It comes with a 2.5" caddy.

kenrom
11-16-2014, 05:11 PM
so im also looking to buy:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=9514703&sku=VSU-102776230

and also thinking of getting this

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=9083338&sku=YRU-102499633

will it work?

seagle7
11-17-2014, 08:20 AM
Hello everybody,

Can somebody confirm if both SATA 3 ports on the G751JY are 6Gb/s ?

Because I have installed a RAID 0 array of 2 Samsung EVO 500Gigs and the Intel Raid Storage Technology software shows that one the ports is only
3GB/s while the other is 6Gb/s ; and that would explain why my raid array achieves a one SSD drive performance (560 read and 550 write).

is it an Hardware limitation or a configuration problem?

By the way, my bios is up to date.

hmscott
11-17-2014, 08:37 AM
Hello everybody,
Can somebody confirm if both SATA 3 ports on the G751JY are 6Gb/s ?
Because I have installed a RAID 0 array of 2 Samsung EVO 500Gigs and the Intel Raid Storage Technology software shows that one the ports is only
3GB/s while the other is 6Gb/s ; and that would explain why my raid array achieves a one SSD drive performance (560 read and 550 write).
is it an Hardware limitation or a configuration problem?
By the way, my bios is up to date.

seagle7, I think you have confirmed yours is working at SATA II in the 2nd bay, by your readings. There isn't anything to set in the BIOS or anywhere else.

Can you please post the hwinfo info for the ports? Like this, from hwinfo Inventory for each SSD, showing port speed and running speed, in this case 6gbit/s @ 6gbit/sec:

There have been reports of people testing the same SSD in both bays and seeing both run at 6gb/sec SATA III, and some report running at SATA II.

Thanks for posting the info, sorry to hear your JY has a SATA II port. Where did you purchase it? Region/store?

seagle7
11-17-2014, 09:37 AM
I will post the hwinfo as soon as possible today,

I bought it in France, but it came with an uncomon disk configuration : a 128Gig SSD on the first SATA port and a 1 teraByte HDD on the other one

I have an unused PCIE port for M2 storage and I replaced the original SSD and HDD by 2 Evo SSDs

I will keep you posted

seagle7
11-17-2014, 04:31 PM

So indeed, HWinfo shows that both SATA ports are 6Gb/s but one actualy runs at 3Gb/s

Does someone knows how to use the port at it's full speed?

hmscott
11-17-2014, 04:49 PM

So indeed, HWinfo shows that both SATA ports are 6Gb/s but one actualy runs at 3Gb/s

Does someone knows how to use the port at it's full speed?

seagle7, if the port says it will do 6gbit/sec and it is only doing 3gbit/sec, I would think it is a firmware / compatibility issue with the drive.

You might check to see if there is a firmware update for your drive. The Samsung Magician software should tell you, but you might want to check online directly at Samsung to see if there is a newer version for your SSD - that is an 840 Evo, been out for a while, so there should be firmware updates available.

Did you update drivers on your laptop yet? You could try the Intel chipset driver INF update:

Asus stopped updating their Intel INFUpdate support area, so go directly to Intel to get the latest - currently 10.0.13
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&FamilyId=42&ProductID=816&ProdId=816

The G751 likely comes with the newest Windows 8.1 drivers, but it doesn't hurt to check. There are central support areas for various feature sets, outside the G751 download support areas that are worth checking out.

Here is the list of places I look for updates for my G750JH; the best way to get a stable fully functioning G750/G751 is to update all the drivers / apps to the latest Windows 8.1 release.

The G750JW/JX/JH/JM/JS/JZ download areas haven't had new updates for a while, BIOS updates still happen in your model's support area, so check there from time to time.

The G750/G751/551/500/etc share the same basic hardware components; check support download areas for new hardware for newer drivers.

Asus maintains central support areas for hardware component features common to all products, those areas usually have the latest drivers after new hardware releases, sometimes there is a lag before the newer drivers show up there, so still to new product releases support downloads for the latest drivers.

Asus G751 Support / Download areas - Asus hasn't updated all the versions of these support areas, this link discusses the 3 locations were started independantly and not sync'd/updated through to the latest driver releases - check them all to be sure.
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?55572-Asus-G751-Support-Download-areas&p=461698&viewfull=1#post461698

This G751JM/JT/JY/JL download area has the latest drivers of all the G750/G751 support download areas:

G751 Support / Download Areas - Newest - has all 4 G751 models
http://www.asus.com/Search/?SearchKey=g751

G750 Support / Download Areas - Newest - has the G750JY/JZ/JS/JM/JH models
http://www.asus.com/Search/?SearchKey=g750

G750JX - new support location, updates?
http://www.asus.com/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/ASUS_ROG_G750JX/

G750JW - new support location, updates?
http://www.asus.com/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/ASUS_ROG_G750JW/

Here are the latest Asus posted VGA drivers currently 347.25 ; it's better to get the latest from Nvidia - 347.88

Asus doesn't modify the drivers, they release the identical driver packages as Nvidia releases.
http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=VGA&p=3&s=111

Notebook Audio drivers - Realtek 7443 - current confirmed to work on G751/G750, some G750 users say 7335 works best for them, if you find a newer release version that works, please let us all know which version and G750/G751 model it works on.
http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=Audio&os=30

Notebook Card Reader (realtek) G750 / G751(?)
http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=Card+reader&os=30

Notebook Bluetooth drivers
http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=Bluetooth&p=3&ft=27&os=30

Notebook WLAN drivers (no Intel)
http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=WLAN&os=3

Notebook LAN drivers
http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&s=589&m=LAN&os=&hashedid=n%2fa

KBFilter driver
http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&m=KBFilter&hashedid=n%2fa

Asus Backtracker for Windows 8.1 download
http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&m=Backtracker&hashedid=n%2fa

Asus Backtracker FAQ
http://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1008640/

Asus SmartGesture
http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&m=ASUS+Smart+Gesture&hashedid=n%2fa

Asus Touchpad
http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=Touchpad&os=30

Asus ATK Package
http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&m=ATK%20Package&hashedid=n/a

Asus GPU Tweak for Graphics Cards, currently at release 2.7.9.0 for the G750JW/JX/JH and G751JT/JY
http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=9&m=ASUS%20GPU%20Tweak%20for%20Graphics%20cards&hashedid=n/a

Asus GPU Tweak for Laptops, currently at release v1.0.9 for the G750JS/JM/JZ and other new ROG laptops with Optimus
http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&m=ASUS+GPU+Tweak+for+Laptops&hashedid=n%2fa

Here are the Asus posted VGA drivers, it's better to get the latest from Nvidia - currently 347.88
http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=VGA&p=3&s=111

Nvidia Drivers direct from Nvidia
http://www.geforce.com/drivers

Asus stopped updating their Intel INFUpdate support area, so go directly to Intel to get the latest chipset INF - currently 10.0.26
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/20775/Intel-Chipset-Device-Software-INF-Update-Utility-

For the G750JH/JZ RAID and G751JY PCIE SSD, or if you have implemented RAID, the latest SetupRST.exe is currently 13.6.0.1002
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&keyword=Intel+Rapid+Storage+Technology+%28Intel+RS T%29+RAID+Driver

Hopefully a Microsoft update will kick in the full SATA III throughput for you :)

Tergon
11-17-2014, 05:54 PM
I have more or less the same issue. Bought the G751JY from canada computers, in Newmarket. After returning the G750, had just purchased it. G751 much better unit. I also replaced the spinner 1 Terabyte, Hitachi drive with a Samsung EVO 1 Terabyte drive, ran the firmware and reconditioner utility for the EVO's to fix long term read speeds. I was surprised to find how slow the drive was, then determined the SATA port is only running SATA II, and not Three. Very curious how to get it to run at full speed. Will try updating drivers once I am at home tonight.

seagle7
11-17-2014, 07:25 PM
I'll try to update the firmwares of the EVO, thank you for your help hmscott !

Tergon
11-18-2014, 12:22 AM
Doesn't make sense that the second bay only have a SATA !! controller.

bookedirl
11-18-2014, 02:39 AM
Doesn't make sense that the second bay only have a SATA !! controller.

Is this true for all models? I haven't checked this myself. My previous G750JM I swear two Sata III ports.

seagle7
11-19-2014, 07:41 AM
Ok,

i have dismantled my raid array to update the firmwares of my EVOs, they are up to date, and I tried to install the new intel INF drivers, but the SATA port still shows SATA 6Gb/s @ 3 Gb/s for the second disk. I fail to understand why.

i have checked some forums about that kind of issues, but no solution so far.

My next step is to try a bunch of other disks (SSD and HDD) on the port, to try and see if it can be incompatibility issue. So far, I have tested the 2 EVOs on that port and the results are the same.

If somebody have some clues about it, I am all ears

hmscott
11-19-2014, 08:40 AM
Ok,

i have dismantled my raid array to update the firmwares of my EVOs, they are up to date, and I tried to install the new intel INF drivers, but the SATA port still shows SATA 6Gb/s @ 3 Gb/s for the second disk. I fail to understand why.

i have checked some forums about that kind of issues, but no solution so far.

My next step is to try a bunch of other disks (SSD and HDD) on the port, to try and see if it can be incompatibility issue. So far, I have tested the 2 EVOs on that port and the results are the same.

If somebody have some clues about it, I am all ears

seagle7, did your configuration come with a 1TB HDD? What speed does that run @ in the 2nd bay?

seagle7
11-19-2014, 06:04 PM
seagle7, did your configuration come with a 1TB HDD? What speed does that run @ in the 2nd bay?

I have just finished trying at least 3 different disk and even the original Sandisk SSD it came with on the port, every single unit shows the same 6Gb/s @ 3Gb/s

It is almost like I miss the right drivers on the SATA ports, I am really lost about this

hmscott
11-19-2014, 06:37 PM
I have just finished trying at least 3 different disk and even the original Sandisk SSD it came with on the port, every single unit shows the same 6Gb/s @ 3Gb/s

It is almost like I miss the right drivers on the SATA ports, I am really lost about this

seagle7, it's a mystery. Maybe ask Asus via a Technical Inquiry to help you get the speed up to SATA III speed as advertised by the controller? You have enough data now, images as well, to show them what you are seeing. And ask them for help.

https://vip.asus.com <-- create a login, register your laptop, and file a Technical Inquiry with your images ziped up and attached to the TL.

You may need to request escalation to a manager or Engineer to resolve / provide a solution or answer and that might take a while. Be polite and persistent.

You might also let MarshallRASUS and cl-albert know your case number and briefly explain the issue. A high-lighted image showing the 6gbps @ 3gbps included will help.

Please keep us up to date on what Asus says.

seagle7
11-19-2014, 09:00 PM
As a real Asus fanboy, I already have a the vip membership lol (this is my 5th G series laptop and I'm always pleased)
It's not that big a deal, but I'll do as you suggest, the most important here is to find an explanation, I'll keep you posted,
Thanks for the help anyways, it makes the difference :)

sati747
11-19-2014, 09:48 PM
Just a quick note on the 2nd bay. I have a G751JT-CH71 which comes with only a 1 tb HGST drive in the 1st bay. I bought a Samsung EVO 250 and put it in the first bay, restored the factory image from a USB flash drive to the EVO successfully (created by ASUS backtracker). I then formatted the 1TB and put it in the 2nd bay. It is showing 6Gb @ 3Gb on HWinfo64 (Samsung EVO in the 1st bay is showing 6Gb @ 6Gb). I guess that's just the way controller was designed to work. Please correct me if I am wrong - I meant I want to be wrong. LOL

seagle7
11-20-2014, 07:22 AM
Just a quick note on the 2nd bay. I have a G751JT-CH71 which comes with only a 1 tb HGST drive in the 1st bay. I bought a Samsung EVO 250 and put it in the first bay, restored the factory image from a USB flash drive to the EVO successfully (created by ASUS backtracker). I then formatted the 1TB and put it in the 2nd bay. It is showing 6Gb @ 3Gb on HWinfo64 (Samsung EVO in the 1st bay is showing 6Gb @ 6Gb). I guess that's just the way controller was designed to work. Please correct me if I am wrong - I meant I want to be wrong. LOL

That has been my question since some days now, is what HWinfo64 shows the speed of the driver or the speed of the SATA port. information software are used to display the actual speed/rate/clock with the symbol "@" ; like in " Core I7 4770k @ 3.5Ghz" even windows displays speeds with that symbols, like in this example :

So either HWinfo doesn't follow the rules, or the actual information we read is the SATA port is 6Gb/s capable but running at 3Gb/s with the current disk.

Eitherway, it doesn't give a hint about why it's going half speed.

RaGiNsAnE
11-26-2014, 10:37 PM
Dear seagle7,

Once you got an answer from ASUS I'd highly appreciate if you could post how this can be fixed (or how you could prove that it's not fixable...).
I'm currently thinking about the same upgrade.

Thanks in advance & GL!

sati747
11-27-2014, 12:50 AM
I believe that the "6Gb @ 3Gb on HWinfo64" --- 6Gb refers to the drive and the 3Gb the port as shown in the attachments. (I have a G751JT-CH71)

andreacos92
11-27-2014, 02:29 PM
So... 1st bay is SATA III, 2nd bay is SATA II and the optical drive port is SATA I, correct?

seagle7
11-27-2014, 05:03 PM
Well I got the wrong answer there, they asked me to send the computer in RMA to check if everything is working as it should on the laptop.

I am not going to do it, actualy as I said, the laptop is working well, and I believe the second SATA port is simply on revision II not III like we hoped.

it's a bit sad because I bought a second SSD just for that, I guess I am going to have to wait for the next laptop,

right now, all I can say is the RAID 0 array has some "conventional" 1 ssd performance (~550Mb read and write)

So if you wanted to buy a another SSD for a RAID 0 array, just save your money for something else.

except from that, the laptop is just great as usual with the G series

Joystick
11-28-2014, 08:14 PM
I can live with 4GB of VRAM, but I need more than SATA II on the second port. I put the purchase on standby.

hmscott
11-29-2014, 06:00 AM
Guys, I don't have a G751 to explore, and the photo's don't show enough detail to be sure, but is it possible to unscrew the mount for the SATA connectors between Bay 1 and 2, they span the bridge between the two bays, and swap them between bays?

If they are 1 structure then turn it 180' and reattach, or if they are 2 different pieces independently screwed in then unscrew them and swap them between bays.

Be careful not to pull the cables - they are likely securely clicked in on the other end of the cable to the motherboard, but if you pull too hard they might pop out.

Also, if the cabling is long enough, you might be able to swap ends on the motherboard side. Unplug the 2 cables and swap destinations.

Either route would allow you to swap SATA III from the unusable Bay 1 to the usable Bay 2 - if you have a PCIE SSD in Bay 1 the SATA III connector goes unused.

Please post photo's of your solution, or why it won't work :)

Arnas
11-29-2014, 02:08 PM
Hi mates, what bay is sata 3? One near ram? Or the other near optical drive? I'm talking about g751jt.

sati747
11-29-2014, 06:09 PM
Turn your JT upside down. Open the cover and the bay on the left is sata3 (the ram slots are on top of the bays).

Arnas
11-29-2014, 06:18 PM
Thanks, by the way I don't have it yet. Just asking questions mate☺

seagle7
12-02-2014, 08:39 AM
Guys, I don't have a G751 to explore, and the photo's don't show enough detail to be sure, but is it possible to unscrew the mount for the SATA connectors between Bay 1 and 2, they span the bridge between the two bays, and swap them between bays?

If they are 1 structure then turn it 180' and reattach, or if they are 2 different pieces independently screwed in then unscrew them and swap them between bays.

Be careful not to pull the cables - they are likely securely clicked in on the other end of the cable to the motherboard, but if you pull too hard they might pop out.

Also, if the cabling is long enough, you might be able to swap ends on the motherboard side. Unplug the 2 cables and swap destinations.

Either route would allow you to swap SATA III from the unusable Bay 1 to the usable Bay 2 - if you have a PCIE SSD in Bay 1 the SATA III connector goes unused.

Please post photo's of your solution, or why it won't work :)

But if I am not wrong, that could remove the warranty of the PC. I will post pictures of the bays if someone wants to try your solution, and so you can have a more detailled view of it

hmscott
12-02-2014, 10:44 AM
But if I am not wrong, that could remove the warranty of the PC. I will post pictures of the bays if someone wants to try your solution, and so you can have a more detailed view of it

seagle7, thanks!

Any modifications would need to be reversed if you sent the laptop back to Asus for service - and the important thing is to not make any non-reversible changes - and be careful and don't break anything else while you are in there :)

Joystick
12-02-2014, 11:11 AM
[...] but is it possible to unscrew the mount for the SATA connectors between Bay 1 and 2, they span the bridge between the two bays, and swap them between bays? [...]

I don't think it is possible.

The only solution I can envisage is a rotation of the 2.5" SSD and...

or the rotation of a mSATA to SATA adapter if there isn't space for the connector.

hmscott
12-02-2014, 11:20 AM
Joystick, that 2nd photo is what I was looking for. Aren't those restraining clips holding the SATA connectors in place - they are visible on the crossbar holding the SATA connectors.

The other photo on the right shows the mother board support under that structure, isn't that brass colored circle an attachment point for holding the SATA connector board?

There should be a way to disconnect the structure holding the SATA connectors, and turn them 180', and/or flip them over. For repair purposes alone there has to be a way to unattach the SATA connector(s) :)

What is that brass colored circle near the bridge in the right photo, is that a screw attachment point? It might take removing the other side of the chassis plastic to reveal the rest.

Thanks for taking and posting the photo's :)

Joystick
12-02-2014, 11:49 AM
Thanks for taking and posting the photo's :)

I didn't take the photos (I don't have a G751JY), they're a screen capture from XOTIC PC's video and a MARSHALLR's picture http://rog.asus.com/375732014/g-series-gaming-laptops/gallery-g751-upgrade-guide/

I'm just not giving up the idea of buying a G751JY, especially because the GTX 980mx will probably be available in may, the i7 Broadwell will probably be available in june, and the G752 (in my country) will probably be available in august. Furthermore until 2016 Nvidia is not doing something special and the Broadwell's selling point is "low power", which means that at least until april 2016 there will be no reason to replace a G751JY.

hmscott
12-02-2014, 12:02 PM
I didn't take the photos (I don't have a G751JY), they're a screen capture from XOTIC PC's video and a MARSHALLR's picture http://rog.asus.com/375732014/g-series-gaming-laptops/gallery-g751-upgrade-guide/

I'm just not giving up the idea of buying a G751JY, especially because the GTX 980mx will probably be available in may, the i7 Broadwell will probably be available in june, and the G752 (in my country) will probably be available in august. Furthermore until 2016 Nvidia is not doing something special and a Broadwell's selling point is "low power", which means that at least until april 2016 there will be no reason to replace a G751JY.

Joystick, thanks for posting the photo's all the same :)

Those upgrade thoughts are all good logical thoughts, one thing leads to another, and the key to the problem is that it takes Time for things to unfold. Time you could be using a new laptop, gaming, doing work, learning and expanding your possibilities in life, forward motion is a growth enhancer.

There will be another G751XX coming after that, and after that, and some will be much better, some will be only a little better. But it really takes a doubling of performance, or capacity to make enough of a difference to upgrade. Unless you have the funds to do it more often, and relatives waiting for your laptop hand me downs.

A number of those points of change include totally new hardware, which may or may not deliver on it's projected promise. And as you have seen with the G751, there are growing pains involved in bringing new hardware through production, initial problems temper improvements.

You may want to keep your stable and fast running G751JY through a couple of those hardware improvements.

My G750JH is up to 30% slower in FPS for some games, but I can still play those games and all the other games that come out between now and when I upgrade will be runable on my 780m, I may need to reduce some eye candy, but the games will all play.

That means your G750JY will play those same games with more eye candy and/or 30% faster, no problem between now and the time you decide to upgrade. And, you will have had all that time to use it between now and that upgrade release that finally moves you to change.

What are you gaming on now?

Joystick
12-02-2014, 12:56 PM
What are you gaming on now?

I'm not gaming. I lost my notebook months ago: Bios went crazy (asking password, ...), I removed the CMOS battery (day of pain) and it was ok, but then it went crazy again and it died. My current notebook is garbage, literally. It is a discarded notebook I found in the garbage. I was waiting Maxwell 980m and M.2 SSD, so my suffering was intentional :D

I forgot, G752 will probably have eGPU ability, but I don't need it anymore: an army of AMD CPUs will do the job.

hmscott
12-02-2014, 01:18 PM
I'm not gaming. I lost my notebook months ago: Bios went crazy (asking password, ...), I removed the CMOS battery (day of pain) and it was ok, but then it went crazy again and it died. My current notebook is garbage, literally. It is a discarded notebook I found in the garbage. I was waiting Maxwell 980m and M.2 SSD, so my suffering was intentional :D

I forgot, G752 will probably have eGPU ability, but I don't need it anymore: an army of AMD CPUs will do the job.

Joystick, then whatever you end up getting new is going to be a nice step up :)

There are already eGPU's since the Thunderbolt port came to the G750 series, but so far nothing has taken off. eGPU isn't very portable, and I think the end result would be a weak GPU laptop to carry and an eGPU when back home. That would be cool, but not the same as having it all in 1 chassis. I think I still want the laptop to have a competitive GPU for gaming standalone.

In case anyone missed it, here is the G750 connected via Thunderbolt to the Silverstone external chassis with an AMD video card

SilverStone / ASUS SG Station 2 External Video Card Thunderbolt Enclosure | CES 2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvmntK74OFc

Update:

It looks like Intel killed the idea before it got into production. Here is a petition to Intel to ask them to allow production of such hardware.

Allow Silverstone and Asus to Sell the Asus XG Station 2 and allow Villagetronics to sell the 4th generation Vidock. In essence, allow the sale of affordable eGPU enclosures.
https://www.change.org/p/intel-allow-silverstone-and-asus-to-sell-the-asus-xg-station-2-and-allow-villagetronics-to-sell-the-4th-generation-vidock-in-essence-allow-the-sale-of-affordable-egpu-enclosures

Joystick
12-02-2014, 02:30 PM
We're a little off topic :rolleyes:

Thunderbolt is not a good candidate for eGPU because it's not a PCIE x16 "extension", the only good way is the "Alienware's way", but even Alienware did it wrong: the Alienware 13 is a weak machine ( i5-4210U or i7-4510U). Asus can go really wrong if they think G751JM's (GTX x60m) buyers could be the eGPU's buyers: they're not. G751JM's buyers are changing notebook every 6-12 months, they will not buy a solution which costs as the notebook (box+gpu). G751JY's (GTX x80m) buyers would be eGPU's buyers if the product allowed SLI (basically 2x PCIE x16), but for cost reasons there will not be a SLI eGPU product. So, who are the eGPU's buyers? eGPU's buyers are the Razer Blade buyers, the MSI GSxx buyers. That is what the Asus GX series must be: no dvd/Blu ray drive, no 2.5" ssd, an acceptable gpu (GTX x60m), good cpu and eGPU ability. Zenbooks on steroids.

Thinking that gamers are buying eGPU solutions to avoid buying a new notebook is wrong: in 2016 there will be Intel Skylake, Nvidia Pascal, DDR4, 4K 17" display, ... Thinking a gamer will spend $1k to upgrade an old notebook is no sense: eGPU will not be a patch. That is why Alienware will fail.

Bird Lee
01-15-2015, 06:47 AM
Hi all , I'm in Hong Kong. I'm G751JY is same ploblem.
I'm use Two Plextor M6Pro 1T SSD .... OMG , Raid 0 only 5XX speed.
Reboot power Raid change to AHCI ............. Crazy !!! Set Raid 0 after install Windows again .................. OMG !!!
Use M2 again , slot 2 change 6 SSD HDD .......... all SATA 2 (@3G) .........
G75V & G750 not this problem....... Crazy Crazy Crazy

Solarium
03-10-2015, 10:23 PM
So I plan to use my old mSATA in my previous gaming laptop in an adaptor (http://www.amazon.com/Syba-mSATA-2-5-Inch-Adapter-SY-ADA40050/dp/B007PPZ2I8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1426026155&sr=8-1&keywords=msata+adaptor) to plug into the SATA III @3G, and using the default 1TB HDD in the SATA II slot @6G.

2 questions:

1. Will the mSATA (Crucial M4) work as intended at its full speed?

2. Will the default 1TB HDD be severely impacted by running at the 3G SATA II speed?

Any input would be greatly appreciated, the Asus is in my cart right now :)

Swarmy
03-10-2015, 11:52 PM
1. Yes. You will be getting full 500+ speeds barring adapter slowing it down.
2. No. The mechanical hdd doesnt hit the sata 2 limit, so no worries there.

ciccio80
04-04-2015, 07:19 PM
Hi guys. My problem is even worse. My G751JY (italian version that comes with SSD SATA3 + 1Tb HDD) came without the M.2 connector!!! (the circuits seem to be there but there is no connector).

http://i.imgur.com/RhTlRKX.jpg?1[/COLOR]

Another buyer from Italy (same G751JY mode) has the M.2 slot even if he has a SATA3 SSD!).
I wrote a complaint with Asus, let's see what they respond.

P.S. The motherboard has the 2 screw points, so I was wondering if there is a way I could buy an M.2 PCIe x4 connector and screw it on the motherboard. Would this work?

hmscott
04-04-2015, 09:15 PM
... The motherboard has the 2 screw points, so I was wondering if there is a way I could buy an M.2 PCIe x4 connector and screw it on the motherboard. Would this work?

ciccio80, unfortunately while the screws might hold the part in for soldering, it is unlikely it is a pressure mounted part, I would think it is soldered in place, the "solder dots" you see are the spots needed to accept the connector "wires".

Here is a photo of the G751JH motherboard, and a section with just the M.2 PCIE x4 connector, it's tough to see in that dark notch off the bay, but here it is in the clear:

I would follow through with Asus, maybe they will be nice and swap you a motherboard with the M.2 PCIE x4 connector.

IDK why Asus has been inconsistent with the inclusion of the M.2 PCIE x4 connector - you really can't tell if you are going to get one.

Even the box contents don't tell you if the included SSD is an M.2 PCIE x4 or 2.5" form factor.

The only one I think you can be sure of is the top priced model with the 512GB SSD - but even there I wouldn't put it past some locale to configure a model variation with a 2.5" drive :)

Asus should include the M.2 PCIE x4 connector / circuit with all JT/JY, but you really can't tell until you open it up. There have been JT/JY owners posting both with and without an M.2 connector.

And, what about the JL? Has anyone with a JL opened their's up to see if they have the notch with the M.2 connector in the left Bay?

Also, ciccio80, there are a lot of newer threads on this subject, including how people have found adding an M.2 PCIE x4 SSD of their own is possible, but they can't make it bootable.

Problems Installing Samsung XP941 M.2 SSD on a G751JT
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?59861-Problems-Installing-Samsung-XP941-M-2-SSD-on-a-G751JT&p=489259&viewfull=1#post489259

From that article, comes this suggestion:

"There are some reports online that you can make a M.2 drive bootable by making it a single disk RAID then installing in UEFI mode"

If anyone tries that and it works, please let us know :)

Something to keep in mind if you want a bootable M.2 drive, it may be only possible with the G751 if you get the an Asus M.2 SSD included Model.

Paganus
04-25-2015, 12:47 PM
Is Kingston 120GB M.2 SATA SSD compatible with G751???

hmscott
04-25-2015, 09:54 PM
Is Kingston 120GB M.2 SATA SSD compatible with G751???

Paganus, No.

It says right in the name that it is a SATA interface, not a PCIE interface. The G751's use an M.2 PCIE interface.

The G750's that had M.2 SATA ports could use that drive.

Also, I wouldn't waste the M.2 slot on a 120GB drive, that isn't large enough for a boot drive - at least a 256GB is needed - and for that slot I wouldn't go less than 512GB.

Save up and get the largest one available now so you won't regret it down the road. You would be stuck with the 120GB/256GB down the road when you realize they aren't large enough. Then what are you going to do with the first drive when you replace it?

Also, right now isn't exactly the best time to get an M.2 PCIE drive, there have been lots of new models announced, but they aren't shipping yet, so prices are very high. If you can, wait until June/July when there is more competition in the market.

Please come back and let us know what you end up getting and how it works out for you :)

jinishans
05-27-2015, 01:50 AM
See this thread, we've got finally some answer from a user.

He's installed the latest SM951 M.2 SSD (though he get's only 1400MB/s not 2GB/s as per the spec) and below that he manged to have a 2.5' SSD which is a SATA 3 (6GB/s), both of them in one bay, 2nd bay is SATA 2 (1.5MB/s) and he has installed another 2.5' SSD with a HDD caddy in the CD drive (6GB/s). So, it's pretty much possible and AFAIK this is only Laptop I've seen with PCIe + 970/980M card.

hexaae
05-31-2015, 06:21 AM
Oh God....
I've bought a 1TB EVO 850 for the 2nd bay and found it runs in SATA II @3GB/s only!
SSD 128GB in 1st bay runs in SATA III @6GB/S

There is no fix (driver or whatsoever)???

aeolisio
07-21-2015, 12:43 AM
After searching these forums for a M.2 bracket for my G751JY-DB73X G-Sync I actually made a 3d printed M.2 bracket myself. Well i made 13 versions before i found one that was perfect but its on shapeways if anyone still needs one. It has an open top for heatsinks. It also leaves enough room for the 850 EVO to fit naked. With heatsinks attached i got an average 7 degree drop in crystaldiskmark with the SM951.
http://shpws.me/J8lX

BogdaRog
09-05-2015, 05:00 PM
Only 1400MB/s ? But the M.2 slot is PCIE 3.0 x4... He should get the full speed of that ssd? I'm also thinking of getting this m.2 ssd, but if its not using its full potential I might as well go with some other cheaper m.2 ssd with PCIE 2.0 x4

aeolisio
09-05-2015, 05:22 PM
Only 1400MB/s ? But the M.2 slot is PCIE 3.0 x4... He should get the full speed of that ssd? I'm also thinking of getting this m.2 ssd, but if its not using its full potential I might as well go with some other cheaper m.2 ssd with PCIE 2.0 x4
Theres no reason to resurrect an old thread when we have a search bar that could have shown you relevant info. The sm951 ahci runs at 3.0 x4
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?71603-G751JY-with-Samsung-sm951-pcie-ssd-and-new-bios-208-feedback-requested!/page2

rogdood
11-20-2015, 07:01 PM
Since I've not really understood the way the information is layed out here, I'll try to keep it as simple as possible:
1) I have a 1 TB hdd as the sole drive in my JT, and I intend to keep it, regardless of the slot, as a storage extension
2) I have tons of SATA3 SSDs on offer now, but I'm holding back because I'm not sure whether I could use it or not.

So from 1+2 --> would I be able to use a SATA3 SSD in the slot where the HDD is now (right side, below the RAM) and switch the HDD in the other side, or would the SSD go into the slot that everyone keeps saying it's a SATA2?

I'm confused and not really in the market for extreme performance which comes with the PCIe price... 4-500 MB/s for the SSD is more than enough for me, so is it possible in any way? Is it imperative to have an M.2 form or could I get away with a 2.5 incher?

aeolisio
11-20-2015, 07:53 PM
Since I've not really understood the way the information is layed out here, I'll try to keep it as simple as possible:
1) I have a 1 TB hdd as the sole drive in my JT, and I intend to keep it, regardless of the slot, as a storage extension
2) I have tons of SATA3 SSDs on offer now, but I'm holding back because I'm not sure whether I could use it or not.

So from 1+2 --> would I be able to use a SATA3 SSD in the slot where the HDD is now (right side, below the RAM) and switch the HDD in the other side, or would the SSD go into the slot that everyone keeps saying it's a SATA2?

I'm confused and not really in the market for extreme performance which comes with the PCIe price... 4-500 MB/s for the SSD is more than enough for me, so is it possible in any way? Is it imperative to have an M.2 form or could I get away with a 2.5 incher?
The left side is sata 3 if your looking at the ram on the right. The slot below the m.2. Thats where you want your 2.5 ssd. Some newer models have sata 3 on both sides maybe thats your confusion. The difference between a m.2 pcie and a 2.5 ssd is night and day and i always recommend going with a sm951 instead of any 2.5 drive. The speed difference between a m.2 pcie and a standard ssd is much more then the difference between a ssd and hdd. So if your going to do the upgrade anyway why not spend a little more and give the g751 what it was designed to run with. I have frequently been told by people who bought a 2.5 first and later got the m.2 they wish they had just done the m.2 first and saved that money because it is such a huge difference on everything that loads. Once i did my first pcie it was enough for me to change every system i had over and the performance was enough to get my entire company to switch over to g751s with sm951s. It really is a huge upgrade and i strongly urge you to consider it. Theres nothing quite like pressing the power button and having windows totally booted before you finish sitting down or a game or program that had long load times reduced to just a few seconds. As much as i do like the 850 evo and pro i would never go back to a sata 2.5 drive.

rogdood
11-20-2015, 09:12 PM
I know and that may be the case, however, right now I'm not into stellar performance, but mainly for bang for the buck. My HDD is decent for my needs, even games, but an SSD, be it SATA and not PCIe, would still make a noticeable difference.

rogdood
11-24-2015, 08:17 PM
Well, I got a good deal on a 250 GB Samsung EVO and it runs at 250 MB flat. I'm guessing that's to be expected since It's plugged into the slot right below the RAM? would inverting the HDD and SSD locations, as they are now, improve this? I'm fine with 250 MB also, the system boots near instantaneously, so I can't complain about that.