PDA

View Full Version : g751jy Pcie ssd questions

Lubert85
10-14-2014, 05:13 AM
Hello!

I have preordered the g751jy in norway, but there is still limited information on the actual product.
The only information on the ssd is that it is 256gb m.2 disk. Is this the pcie version. And does all g751jy ships with a pcie ssd?
And the information i got on the store is that it has only 16gb ram. And i cant find in any other country a g751jy with 16gb.

So im a little frustrated with the lack of information i can find out about it.

:-)

_
10-14-2014, 07:11 AM
> M.2 slot is PCIE 3.0 x4
> Not all models have M.2 SSD - you must spec if specifically. Please inquire with your place of purchase to know which SSD specifically.
> M.2 is user upgradable but takes up 1x 2.5" drive slot
> The G751 (like G750/G75) has four SO DIMM slots, but only two are user upgradable. 16GB means 2x8GB are preinstalled so you will have 2x SODIMM slots spare for future upgrade (so the datasheet says).
> The datasheet says 10/100 Ethernet - that's wrong, it's Gigabit.
> .ac wireless is the top spec.

Lubert85
10-14-2014, 09:10 AM
Thank you for that fast answer. It says M.2 on the ssd. But somehow i dont trust all the info on the online store. Because all the pictures is also wrong. And like you mentioned. They also had the info about the ethernet adapter wrong. "Sigh" so im hoping its the pcie version. There are no other versiones available for preorder in norway.

_
10-14-2014, 09:14 AM
Contact your point of purchase and get them to read the info on the box itself. If they want your money they should make the effort!

Joystick
10-14-2014, 01:26 PM
Is there a M.2 PCIE 3.0 x4 slot even when there is not a M.2 SSD (inside a G751JY) ?
In my country I see a G751JY version with only 1TB HD and 16GB of RAM, which is really inexpensive. I mean it has the price of a G750JS (a 870m notebook). I'm considering 2 months of hibernation, but I'm scared it could end as the episode "Go God Go" of South Park.

WhiteEyeDoll
10-14-2014, 05:38 PM
Is there a M.2 PCIE 3.0 x4 slot even when there is not a M.2 SSD (inside a G751JY) ?

The M.2 slot in the G751JY is achieved via SATA adapter card that takes up one of the two 2,5" slots.

Because of that the connection is still made over SATA 3.0 and there is bound to be a corresponding bottleneck there.
Imo you're better off getting a standard 2,5" SSD.

FYI: This informative post (http://rog.asus.com/308552014/labels/guides/ssd-guide-pci-express-m-2-msata-and-sata-express-the-differences-explained/)

_
10-15-2014, 01:20 AM
The M.2 slot in the G751JY is achieved via SATA adapter card that takes up one of the two 2,5" slots.

Because of that the connection is still made over SATA 3.0 and there is bound to be a corresponding bottleneck there.
Imo you're better off getting a standard 2,5" SSD.

FYI: This informative post (http://rog.asus.com/308552014/labels/guides/ssd-guide-pci-express-m-2-msata-and-sata-express-the-differences-explained/)

Actually they are in different places within the 2.5" slot, so you need an adapter. I don't think the adapter is shipped if you don't buy the M.2 model outright though.

Joystick
10-15-2014, 10:02 AM
Different places and a magical adapter... :confused: :confused: :confused:
Are we speaking about a PCI-Express protocol performance (10Gbit/s) or, as WhiteEyeDoll said, are we living in the paleolithic age (6Gbit/s) ?

Joystick
10-15-2014, 03:09 PM
For further information, go here:
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?52546-Which-SSD-s-in-G751-and-what-can-you-replace-them-with

toronto699
10-24-2014, 11:11 PM
http://tech4gamers.com/adata-1tb-m-2-ssd/ not available yet but soon 4th quarter but prob 2015
I would like this M.2 1tb SSD if I had the choice even if very expensive the asus G751 JY with M.2 512 is hard to find

_
10-27-2014, 03:34 AM
Different places and a magical adapter... :confused: :confused: :confused:
Are we speaking about a PCI-Express protocol performance (10Gbit/s) or, as WhiteEyeDoll said, are we living in the paleolithic age (6Gbit/s) ?

PCIE x4 so at least 20Gbit/s.

For those looking at super-sized M.2 drives - remember you are limited to 2280 so cannot use super long 22110 drives.

Richdog
10-28-2014, 08:37 AM
In my country I see a G751JY version with only 1TB HD and 16GB of RAM, which is really inexpensive. I mean it has the price of a G750JS (a 870m notebook). I'm considering 2 months of hibernation, but I'm scared it could end as the episode "Go God Go" of South Park.

I am also buying this model and will upgrade the SSD etc myself.

it's a great price, but I can't help thinking that ASUS have really done some head-scratchingly silly stuff with what I hear about the lack of accessibility of half of the RAm slots, the bizzarre partitioning of the hard-drives, and the fact that all models don't include basic things like the M2 adapter. it's really unnecessary, and confusing for the buyers.

Zip1
10-28-2014, 02:22 PM
Richdog, I don't disagree with your observations but some clarification is warranted.
The RAM slot design has been present for several generations of this computer. At least now if you order a 16GB you don't get 4x4 (I think some G750s had this), you're guaranteed 2x8, with the accessible slots open.
The partitioning is for the most part a Microsoft forced design. I attempted repeated clean installs of 8.1 with one partition and the install overrode my attempts and created several partitions.

I totally agree with your comment about the M2 adapter - Hey at LEAST make it available...

RedHineY
10-29-2014, 06:18 AM
i bought g751jy without ssd, because i had no other option in my country. I bought m.2 separately and only way to fit it there is with a tape, because i cant get hold of m.2 adapter. I am really disappointed asus.

kennycol
10-29-2014, 07:40 PM
RedHineY, I'm assuming (and hoping) that the m.2 caddy will become available for purchase from Asus (and 3rd parties) eventually. Until then hopefully we'll be able to rig something up, as I'm planning on doing the same thing you're doing.

If you come up with a good way to secure the card in there, post some pictures for the rest of us.

Zusas
11-14-2014, 05:17 AM
I know this is a rather simple question, but how does one remove the screws to the HD caddy? I've tried multiple smaller screwdrivers, ones I've built my desktop with, but they aren't budging. I don't want to strip them, but I'm afraid I will if I try much further. Can anyone post what screwdriver they used or size? I'd rather purchase a new screwdriver than to strip these small screws.

_
11-14-2014, 05:49 AM
RedHineY, I'm assuming (and hoping) that the m.2 caddy will become available for purchase from Asus (and 3rd parties) eventually. Until then hopefully we'll be able to rig something up, as I'm planning on doing the same thing you're doing.

If you come up with a good way to secure the card in there, post some pictures for the rest of us.

We're not planning to I'm afraid. 3D printing to the rescue, perhaps.

bookedirl
11-18-2014, 02:43 AM
We're not planning to I'm afraid. 3D printing to the rescue, perhaps.

Hmm.. is it me or does this not sound like a response we shouldn't be hearing....

What's the point of giving us a M.2 slot but not give us any means to support it. It would've made more sense just to eliminate this feature to save money on models not shipping with a caddy and M.2 SSD.......... smh....

Guess I'll have to invest a thousand bucks and start selling M.2 Caddys.

QC_AGENT
11-18-2014, 02:09 PM
Guess I'll have to invest a thousand bucks and start selling M.2 Caddys.

LOL, a friend of mine is a machinist and is equipped to produce metal bracket. I was thinking about the same, since I've got an orignical m.2 bracket in my JY model. Just hope ASUS would not file a copyringht claim on it ;-)

Kaimeratech
11-25-2014, 09:30 AM
The drive bay for the 1tb hdd, is it sata II or III?

I want to buy the Samsung 850 pro to replace the hdd, I want to have the 256 gb pcie for os and 1 tb 850 pro for storage. If it not sata III then I'll will stick with the stock hdd.

fidelity101
11-26-2014, 02:59 PM
Mine is a HGST HTS721010A9E630

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822145881

HGST Travelstar 7K1000 HTS721010A9E630 (0J22423) 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 2.5" Internal Notebook Hard Drive

It's a SATA III drive, 7200rpm, 1TB. So I'm sure your 1TB SATA III SSD drive will work just fine.

On a side note, that Samsung 840 drive you're talking about is $370 on Amazon. That's a LOT of money for a storage drive. Hopefully you're using it for another Operating system or have another good reason to justify the huge drop in coin. :)

Kaimeratech
11-26-2014, 03:51 PM
Thank you for replying :).

jaycalgary
01-05-2015, 06:49 AM
Could you take a sata ssd out of its case so it is smaller and do a 2 way tape job have an M2 sit on top of it or below and run both? A drive like the Samsung 850 looks like a nice small size to fit in there taken out of its case. There wouldn't be any other reason both slots cant be used besides how they are spaced?

MMINC
01-12-2015, 10:44 AM
Hi guys, I finally picked up my G751JY on the weekend, and was a little disappointed to see after booting it up that the two PCI SSD's were not configured in raid 0. Does anyone know of a guide that could help me setup the drives in raid 0? perhaps (if its possible) without having to reinstall the OS? Also does anyone know where the windows serial key is on this machine? I cant find one on mine

hmscott
01-12-2015, 05:51 PM
Hi guys, I finally picked up my G751JY on the weekend, and was a little disappointed to see after booting it up that the two PCI SSD's were not configured in raid 0. Does anyone know of a guide that could help me setup the drives in raid 0? perhaps (if its possible) without having to reinstall the OS? Also does anyone know where the windows serial key is on this machine? I cant find one on mine

MMINC, there is only 1 M.2 PCIE SSD slot in the JY, if it is used it runs too fast compared to the SATA II port in the 2nd bay with your other SSD to run in RAID0. There is no 2 x M.2 PCIE RAID0 configuration available in the G751 because it only supports 1 M.2 PCIE device.

If you have 2 x 2.5" SSD's, you still won't want to do 2 x RAID0 because the left Bay is SATA III and the right Bay is SATA II, which would be an imbalanced RAID0 configuration, and be very slow.

cablebandit
01-12-2015, 06:00 PM
I deleted the extra partition in the m.2 ssd....expanded the size of the 1st partition to 512gb.....that drive is FAST

kmROGFAN
01-12-2015, 07:10 PM
Hi, guys! I don't know if this is the right thread for this question but do you think the m.2 slot would fully support the XP941 successor, the SM951

http://www.storagereview.com/samsung_sm951_m2_pcie_ssd_released

This is the article that caught my eye and I was wondering if it would be compatible with the slot and also if it can reach full speed in it - it's a PCIe 3.0 x4 slot, right?

PCie SSD's are just becoming more popular and they're getting even faster so I wanted to make sure that the M.2 slot will make a future update with these even faster SSDs possible. If so, then the G751 will be able to beat even MSI's Super RAID eventually as this technology matures since the max potential throughput is supposed to be 3.2 GB/s :D

hmscott
01-12-2015, 07:18 PM
Hi, guys! I don't know if this is the right thread for this question but do you think the m.2 slot would fully support the XP941 successor, the SM951

http://www.storagereview.com/samsung_sm951_m2_pcie_ssd_released

This is the article that caught my eye and I was wondering if it would be compatible with the slot and also if it can reach full speed in it - it's a PCIe 3.0 x4 slot, right?

PCie SSD's are just becoming more popular and they're getting even faster so I wanted to make sure that the M.2 slot will make a future update with these even faster SSDs possible. If so, then the G751 will be able to beat even MSI's Super RAID eventually as this technology matures since the max potential throughput is supposed to be 3.2 GB/s :D

kmROGFAN, please do get a SM951 and let us know how it works out :)

kmROGFAN
01-12-2015, 07:23 PM
Hah, I'd love to but I haven't even got the JY yet :D I'll be buying a new notebook next month and I've set my eyes on it but I haven't made the decision yet and I'm just trying to get as much info as I can I guess. I was hoping that somebody else might have had the same idea and tried it out but then again it's too early for that it seems. Thx anyway :D

hmscott
01-13-2015, 02:01 AM
Hah, I'd love to but I haven't even got the JY yet :D I'll be buying a new notebook next month and I've set my eyes on it but I haven't made the decision yet and I'm just trying to get as much info as I can I guess. I was hoping that somebody else might have had the same idea and tried it out but then again it's too early for that it seems. Thx anyway :D

kmROGFAN, that's ok you have plenty of time, the new SM951's are 12-16 weeks out... :)

erreesse
03-14-2015, 12:12 PM
i have read that all G751JY model have M2 connector. many website say that. so i buyed one g751JY for that specific spec.
with immense disappoint i found that there is no M2 connector!!
is just my notebook without this M2 connector?

see photo attached

hmscott
03-14-2015, 12:30 PM
i have read that all G751JY model have M2 connector. many website say that. so i buyed one g751JY for that specific spec.
with immense disappoint i found that there is no M2 connector!!
is just my notebook without this M2 connector?

see photo attached

erreesse, wow, that's new, all the G751JY's reported in the past have had that spot populated with a PCIE M.2 connector... I guess Asus is refining the build process such that they are now leaving the connector off for model builds that don't ship with a PCIE M.2 SSD.

Thanks for letting us know...

erreesse
03-14-2015, 12:51 PM
the build date of mine in 01/2015.
I wrote to the asus support hoping it's just a flaw in my laptop. keep my finger crossed for all weekend!!
you can imagine how is weekend without using and testing this awesome notebook!
but if i have to send it back......there is no other option!
regards

hmscott
03-14-2015, 01:40 PM
the build date of mine in 01/2015.
I wrote to the asus support hoping it's just a flaw in my laptop. keep my finger crossed for all weekend!!
you can imagine how is weekend without using and testing this awesome notebook!
but if i have to send it back......there is no other option!
regards

erreesse, what's keeping you from playing with the laptop all weekend? Or, from doing testing up until the last day you are allowed to return it for a refund?

You might find that the laptop without a PCIE M.2 port is still very usable with the throughput of a SATA III SSD (Bay 1 is SATA III)

If you don't keep this G751JY, you will need to pay up another $500-800 for the model that comes with the M.2 PCIE SSD...that's a lot of $ for better throughput; although that it is 2x faster you likely won't see visible improvement for most gameplay.

I wouldn't waste the time you have with the G751JY you have, there are plenty of things you can do to get to know the rest of the hardware - nice preparation if you do decide to upgrade to the PCIE x4 M.2 SSD model.

You can use Macrium Reflect Free to clone the boot drive and restore to the M.2 boot drive on the new laptop, preserving all your tuning / configuration / installs done on this model :)

Macrium Reflect Free
http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

Please come back and let us know how it works out, and have fun with it while you have it :)

erreesse
03-14-2015, 02:41 PM
The point is : really this model don't have M2 connector ?

Or is just a bug?
Is italy a children of a lesser god???

I'm not thinking of change to another model, because in italy there is no g751 with ssdM2 natively. Asus italy said.

But if i have to send it back, i don't know if make me some trouble if i power it on.
The return/refund policy in italy usually is not easy for the consumer.

But the temptation of turn it on is very very strong :p:p:D

erreesse
03-14-2015, 02:42 PM
The first thinking is to solder the connector!! :D

hmscott
03-14-2015, 03:13 PM
The point is : really this model don't have M2 connector ?
Or is just a bug?
Is italy a children of a lesser god???
I'm not thinking of change to another model, because in italy there is no g751 with ssdM2 natively. Asus italy said.
But if i have to send it back, i don't know if make me some trouble if i power it on.
The return/refund policy in italy usually is not easy for the consumer.
But the temptation of turn it on is very very strong :p:p:D

The first thinking is to solder the connector!! :D

erreesse, now that you say Italy doesn't have an M.2 SSD model option, it does sound like all the G751JY's in your region come without the M.2 connector... Asus does this sometimes, reduces options in some regions, who knows why... local licensing requirements, certification requirements, or some other regional limitations.

Even if you ask Asus support, they might not be aware of that detail... you could call Asus Italy and complain / ask... please let us know what they say.

That part is surface mounted, likely reflow solder, or if there is a hole through component, Wave Soldered.

It's tough to manually solder a component like that.

Also, there might be associated components missing - not installed - not needed if the PCIE M.2 connector isn't installed. The idea is to save $ on manufacturing / parts for functions not installed.

Sorry to hear that the M.2 connector isn't there, or available as a model option. You might consider another source, outside Italy, but watch out for the keyboard type supplied to make sure you can use/read it.

IDK what the return policy is, but before returning it, you could do a Power On F9 reset to reinstall the OS just like it was when it came out of the box - erasing all your changes / installs.

Have fun :)

erreesse
03-16-2015, 02:06 PM
Even if you ask Asus support, they might not be aware of that detail... you could call Asus Italy and complain / ask... please let us know what they say.

i have received an answer from asus.it, it's official that G751JY-T7134H available in italy, is WITHOUT M2 socket.
just to warn all want to buy this notebook in italy.

i also asked if there is G751 with M2 available in italy, but for now , no answer.

regards

kalo86
03-16-2015, 03:44 PM
Hi, I'm Italian and I have the same version of yours, G751JY-T7134H but I have the M.2 socket soldered.
I removed the SSD bracket (the stock one) and the chassis of the Sandisk SSD because I'm going to mount the M.2 bracket and the M.2 SSD (they should arrive soon I hope). I noticed that the Sandisk SSD is very thin and short, so I can leave the SSD SATA3 in the socket and mount at the same time the M2 SSD. Fantastic!
In more the SATA3 SSD is able to stay attached without any need of a screw because it needs to be "forced" to be mounted.

erreesse
03-16-2015, 04:12 PM
well , now i don't know what to say!!!!!

i have email from asus.it saying that there is no g751 in italian market with m2 connector.

i send you a p.m.

diogogmaio
03-16-2015, 04:43 PM
So guys...i bought this italian model and i will receive next thrusday. I'm a bit worried. It will came with a 128gb ssd but i don't know if it's the normal one 2,5 sata ssd or the m.2 ssd. I don't know either if there will be a m.2 connection as stated above with your comments. If there is not an m.2 connector can i buy an adapter to the ssd 2,5 normal connector? it's possible? i just want the m.2 ssd pcie.the normal one i already have an 512gb ssd...

erreesse
03-16-2015, 05:16 PM
keep finger crossed, mine is without M2.

M2pcie is not "an adapter" from SATA to M2 , is different kind of connection, faster than sata3.

keep me updated if your G751JY-T7134H have M2socket.
thanks
regards

diogogmaio
03-16-2015, 06:34 PM
And if there is not that socket i cannot have that technology right? But then can i adapt the ssd sata connection to a mSATA connection? that is better right?

erreesse
03-16-2015, 06:58 PM
1 right
2 there is adapter from m2NGFF > SATA
3 better? i onestly don't know. i think m2Sata is equal to sata3, but i'm not sure.

Nima1976
03-17-2015, 06:15 PM
Hey guys,

I got some problems with my G751jy. There's this 256 GB M.2 SSD preinstalled, which is too small for me. So I got an SATA SSD (Samsung Evo) with 500 GB.
But I can't get the BIOS to allow me an installation on this SSD. Even a new installation on the M.2 is not possible. Windows setup routine says Windows can't be installed on an SSD.
So i tried to change the BIOS into legacy-mode. Problem is, I don't know how.

Can someone tell me how to do this?

diogogmaio
03-20-2015, 04:05 PM
So...finally it came withou the m.2 and the connector...sadly...well...let's buy the 512gb ssd pro evo samsung...it's the best i can put there

hmscott
03-20-2015, 05:21 PM
So...finally it came withou the m.2 and the connector...sadly...well...let's buy the 512gb ssd pro evo samsung...it's the best i can put there

diogogmaio, a good time to rethink the 512GB, and get the 1TB, since there is only 1 SATA III port, the left Bay.

diogogmaio
03-21-2015, 09:28 PM
i hear u men. but i only have money for now to the 512gb ssd....the config will be 24gb ram and 512gb ssd pro samsung + 1TB hdd on the other bay...can u give me some more advice?

jwwpapa
03-24-2015, 04:26 AM
Hello All,
I have a new G751 jy-dh71with the 256gb ssd card sitting sideways in the sata drive bay. I tried to transfer my C: drive to a new Samsung 850 EVO 500gb ssd but it would not work and I had to reinstall the old 256 card. When I booted up it was full of errors and finally after clearing all of them I had only windows 8.1 and all of my programs were gone along with all my data.
What I am trying to do is change over my ssd to the new 850 EVO, get rid of Windows 8.1 (I hate it so much), install Windows 7 Ultimate and dual boot with Ubuntu 14.1. It seems like at every effort I make I meet a road block. I'm getting frustrated badly very quickly now!!!! Any HELP would be appreciated very much.. I am but a novice to fair to good user but getting older now and hard to learn new tricks. If you give me help PLEASE be complete and very clear in your instructions for the before mentioned reasons.
Oops I forgot I also need to know about the driver problem I see mentioned in previous post. All I want is a very fast stable rock solid PC that performs well. I bought this laptop because of it's build and capabilities not for gamming or graphics although that is great I have a machine that looks so good. Someone please help me finish this project of mine!
Most of instruction videos I see are very unclear and the instructors talk with a mouth full of marbles or they repeat or go over the item so many times you get confused because they change what they say in the repetition of explaining the subject.
Thanks to all that read this and to any that respond with clear meaningful instructions.

Nima1976
03-24-2015, 04:06 PM
@jwwpapa
I think I had quite the same problem. Fortunately, the support gave me the right advice.
Download the Asus Backtracker Tool ( http://www.asus.com/supportonly/Backtracker/HelpDesk_download/ ) , put in the EVO and boot from an USB stick with the Backtracker on it (made bootable beforehand with this tool).
Now you can reset the Laptop, which means, Windows will be installed on the EVO.
Be sure the second HDD is not stuck in. The tool will erase this HDD as well.
Now you should be able to install Windows 7 on the now activated EVO. Well, at least I hope this should work.

cyberworldc
03-25-2015, 01:53 PM

I'm quite conflicted on this thing too as an italian. The only G751JY i've found on the net to buy in Italy is the T7134H and it's reported to have at least a 128GB SSD PCIE on-board. I do want to buy one and replace the SSD with a 256GB, wich if i remember well is the Samsung XP941. I am missing something here? Is M2 and PCIE different, or are all the italian shops using foreign data that is incorrect?

diogogmaio
03-25-2015, 02:57 PM
I'm quite conflicted on this thing too as an italian. The only G751JY i've found on the net to buy in Italy is the T7134H and it's reported to have at least a 128GB SSD PCIE on-board. I do want to buy one and replace the SSD with a 256GB, wich if i remember well is the Samsung XP941. I am missing something here? Is M2 and PCIE different, or are all the italian shops using foreign data that is incorrect?

you will not get lucky. There is not a italian model with the m.2 connector. Only one person here had the luck to get one with the adptater. My model came with a 128gb ssd + 1TB HDD. I replaced it with a 512gb ssd pro samsung. It's the best (1tb ssd possibility) I can do. I have in the ssd bay the space to have the connector but it's not there. Thanks.

cyberworldc
03-25-2015, 03:23 PM
Ok, so your model came with the SSD on board, but it's not replaceable, so you replaced your HDD with an SSD. For my purposes i don't think i can do that either because i use some editing programs that i believe will stress the SSD too much for his lifetime.
If i did understand all of that, i guess i'll have no other choice atm but to buy the 128gb model since it's the only italian G751 on the market.

Thanks for your info!

hmscott
03-25-2015, 08:46 PM
Ok, so your model came with the SSD on board, but it's not replaceable, so you replaced your HDD with an SSD. For my purposes i don't think i can do that either because i use some editing programs that i believe will stress the SSD too much for his lifetime.
If i did understand all of that, i guess i'll have no other choice atm but to buy the 128gb model since it's the only italian G751 on the market.
Thanks for your info!

cyberworldc, I wouldn't worry about wearing out the previous, current, next generation SSD's, they have been proven to last much longer than rated:

The SSD Endurance Experiment: Two freaking petabytes - The survivors soldier on to another really big number
http://techreport.com/review/27436/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-two-freaking-petabytes

The SSD Endurance Experiment: Two freaking petabytes - Until the last SSD standing
http://techreport.com/review/27436/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-two-freaking-petabytes/4

There are several other articles leading up to those 2, all worth reading. :)
http://techreport.com/search_google.x?cx=013722762777297270298%3A8y3qir4 a7d4&ie=UTF-8&q=ssd+endurance&sa=

Just like HDD's, optimization helps performance, maybe even more so. The high speed of the SSD sequential vs Random Read/Writte transfer might make the access time added by requiring random reads to get all of a file even more apparent hinderance to performance.

I use PerfectDisk Pro to do a SMARTOptimize on my SSD's every so often, then leave it in SSDOptimize, and leave the Optiwrite and other optimizations on all the time to pre-allocate disk for non-fragmented files.

The difference in performance between a non-Optimized RAID0 on the G750JH/JZ is 700MB read / 450MB write vs 1050MB Read / 600MB Write, that is a big improvement. And, that performance is kept long term with PerfectDisk Pro.

I don't think your editing program is going to move 2 PETAbytes, so I think you are safe :)

PerfectDisk Pro 30 day trial
http://www.raxco.com/home/products/perfectdisk-pro

If you don't already have CrystalDiskMark software, be careful when downloading and installing the current version, it has "hidden" adware. Be sure and select Custom install, and uncheck the adware items... they are not visible during standard install, only Custom!

CrystalDiskMark 3.03b download
http://crystalmark.info/software/CrystalDiskMark/index-e.html

The above CrystalDiskMark run was done right after a PerfectDisk Pro SMARTPlacement optimization + Select All remaining fragmented files and Optimize those. After 3-4 weeks this is the performance degradation even with the automatic optimizations from PerfectDisk Pro enabled - I will need another SMARTPlacement + Select All remaining fragmented files and optimize to get back full performance.

Also, remember when running benchmarks, even disk benchmarks, to stop / exit all other programs and set the Windows Power Plan to High Performance - CPU Min/Max 100%/100%.

Have fun :)

rracres
03-25-2015, 11:09 PM
Thanks hmscott for info on perfectdisk pro. Think i will try it. Looks good.

diogogmaio
03-26-2015, 10:18 AM

Thanks for your info!

the two disks in the bays can be replaced. I have a 512gb ssd + a 1TB HDD

cyberworldc
03-26-2015, 04:21 PM
Thanks Hmscott - that info is really, really helpful! So to say, for a guy like me who encodes 80+ Gb of 1080p per week, this SSD (Or any good ssd to add or replace) shouldn't suffer too much. I've always read this old rumor to not do video encoding or anything too much under that line, for it might just kill your ssd's life. Maybe it's old stuff, when SSD was the really new thing.

Diogogmaio, really? It has two bays? Well that's great to know.
I'm on the way to get this Notebook in April, ordered it, gonna grab it and play some BF4 / Arma 3 like a badass for once : )

hmscott
03-26-2015, 11:20 PM
Thanks Hmscott - that info is really, really helpful! So to say, for a guy like me who encodes 80+ Gb of 1080p per week, this SSD (Or any good ssd to add or replace) shouldn't suffer too much. I've always read this old rumor to not do video encoding or anything too much under that line, for it might just kill your ssd's life. Maybe it's old stuff, when SSD was the really new thing.
Diogogmaio, really? It has two bays? Well that's great to know.
I'm on the way to get this Notebook in April, ordered it, gonna grab it and play some BF4 / Arma 3 like a badass for once : )

cyberworldc, my original C300 is still going strong at 15 TERAbytes of writes, I stopped using it daily after a few years, but it still works great. :)

My current build of my 2 x 128GB M.2 has 8TB read and 7TB writes, 1045 cycles, and 7377 hours uptime in 1.5 years - but that is only about 8 months of the usage, I rebuilt around 10 months in.

My Samsung 840 Pro 512GB has 16.5TB Writes, 1191 cycles, and 9065 hours.

16589GB / 80GB per week = 207 weeks of your work... I think you will be fine :)

You aren't going to wear them out. But that isn't to say you might not have a failure, there are some early mortality failures in any device, so always back up your stuff to 2 geographically separate locations :)

Please come back and let us know how it works out :)

FalloutBoy
04-03-2015, 04:44 AM
Hello, I have a G751JY-T7042H coming I know it has a 256G SSD but don't know yet if its an M2 or not - I hope so but my question is this, is it possible with windows 8.1 on this machine using the ASUS backup software that backs up to USB the recovery partition to place the recovery partition on the mechanical drive - or indeed remove the recovery partition altogether and keep it on a USB memory stick and also make the SSD one drive with one partition with the OS on it?

I don't want to break anything but effectively I want each drive to have 1 partition the SSD with the OS on it and the mechanical with data on it.
If I want something to load quick Ill place it on the SSD but - it will be stuff that doesn't change often.

Thanks in advance.

hmscott
04-03-2015, 04:56 AM
Hello, I have a G751JY-T7042H coming I know it has a 256G SSD but don't know yet if its an M2 or not - I hope so but my question is this, is it possible with windows 8.1 on this machine using the ASUS backup software that backs up to USB the recovery partition to place the recovery partition on the mechanical drive - or indeed remove the recovery partition altogether and keep it on a USB memory stick and also make the SSD one drive with one partition with the OS on it?
I don't want to break anything but effectively I want each drive to have 1 partition the SSD with the OS on it and the mechanical with data on it.
If I want something to load quick Ill place it on the SSD but - it will be stuff that doesn't change often.
Thanks in advance.

FalloutBoy, the Asus OS build defaults to 2 mounted partitions for each drive it finds. The boot drive will also have a recovery partition and likely another support partition of 900mb-1GB.

The mechanical drives are cheap now, you can get a much faster 1TB drive for a little more than $60, and put the original drive on the shelf, next to your USB 3.0 16GB Asus Backtracker recovery flash drive.

Then you have 2 sources for recovery should you corrupt a disk and loose a drive / partition to failure. Also there may be a crucial time you need that USB thumb drive to copy / carry something and if it is the only backup you have you could lose the ability to recover - with the original HDD on the shelf you can always boot on it and make another USB 3.0 16GB Asus Backtracker flash recovery drive.

Also, if you ever need to RMA the laptop, you can pull out your drives and put in the original HDD and send it in to Asus with your personal data drives safe at home.

You can restore to any device, but if you do turn out to have an M.2 PCIE x4 connector, some owners found that XP941's don't want to boot unless they have the Asus firmware on them - they can restore, but the device isn't available as a boot device. The Plextor M6e works, but it is a Gen1 PCIE x2 drive not an Gen2 M.2 PCIE x4 drive so it is slower than the XP941.

The new Gen 3 M.2 PCIE x4 drives are coming, but aren't here yet. They are supposed to fix the booting issue, and run faster as well.

You can put the boot on an HDD, but I don't recommend it, the drives are slow enough as is, but the new ones are constantly APM'ing - parking their heads and powering down - mid game texture/content loads cause games to lag. Use SSD's whenever you can internally, and leave the HDD's external. A nice 2TB cost $69 on sale - USB 3.0 2.5"

After you have created a USB 3.0 16GB Asus Backtracker flash recovery drive you, and have restored to a new SSD/HDD you can then use diskpart command line in an Administrator Window to delete the 2nd mounted partition and any other partitions that come after the C partition, and then add that newly freed up space to your C partition. I now have a 237GB C partition from a 2x128GB RAID0

A couple of warnings about using Asus Backtracker.

When you create the USB 3.0 16GB flash recovery drive, remove any other USB storage you have connected before starting the create. Some have accidentally selected another USB drive and lost their stuff.

When you restore to a new drive in your laptop, remove the 2nd internal drive from the laptop, as well as the external USB drives. Backtracker will reformat and repartition any internal drives it finds...just like it comes out of the box.

Please come back and let us know what you end up doing :)

FalloutBoy
04-03-2015, 09:46 AM
Please come back and let us know what you end up doing :)

Hmm Still trying to figure that out -
As far as I'm aware what I have coming has a 256G SSD and a 2TB spinner - what I don't know yet is what is where on the drives - but -

If the SSD has the OS - I want the OS to stay there, from what I've seen the recovery partition is only 900mb - so ive decided I can live
with that, if the AUS restore software makes it so you have the recovery partition + 2 other partitions what I will probably do is after
ensuring there is nothing important on the second partition on the SSD - I would delete it leaving the recovery and primary partitions
intact with a 3rd unallocated space and then resize the OS drive to take all the unallocated space.

I would turn the spinner into one giant partition too, I have some 3 1TB drives I can back up everything to no problems as well as a
12TB NAS.

My goal is primarily to have the SSD as much as possible as one big chunk not two smaller ones - that's just annoying either with or
without the recovery partition but at 900mb only its all much of a muchness.

Thanks for the Tip on the USB drives - thats important information - hopefully my new baby will arrive in the morning (Saturday) -
darned Easter is holding every thing up.

hmscott
04-03-2015, 01:08 PM
Hmm Still trying to figure that out -
As far as I'm aware what I have coming has a 256G SSD and a 2TB spinner - what I don't know yet is what is where on the drives - but -

If the SSD has the OS - I want the OS to stay there, from what I've seen the recovery partition is only 900mb - so ive decided I can live
with that, if the AUS restore software makes it so you have the recovery partition + 2 other partitions what I will probably do is after
ensuring there is nothing important on the second partition on the SSD - I would delete it leaving the recovery and primary partitions
intact with a 3rd unallocated space and then resize the OS drive to take all the unallocated space.

I would turn the spinner into one giant partition too, I have some 3 1TB drives I can back up everything to no problems as well as a
12TB NAS.

My goal is primarily to have the SSD as much as possible as one big chunk not two smaller ones - that's just annoying either with or
without the recovery partition but at 900mb only its all much of a muchness.

Thanks for the Tip on the USB drives - thats important information - hopefully my new baby will arrive in the morning (Saturday) -
darned Easter is holding every thing up.

FalloutBoy, the recovery partition is 20GB + that 900MB partition, and splitting the rest into 2 partitions leaves little room for the C drive, that is why I combined all the partitions, removing the recovery partition on my 2 x 128GB RAID0.

It sounds like you won't have a drive to put on the shelf, but perhaps you can make one with a 1TB 2.5" internal drive, restore the OS to that drive with the Asus Backtracker flash restore drive.

Then you can replace the 256GB drive and delete partitions and extend the C partition to get what I have, 237GB C partition. It would be nice if it was bigger, but it has worked out fine. I put in a 512GB Samsung 840 Pro as my 2nd Bay drive, and save game installs to it - and VM's as well. I moved my 1TB internal drive to an external USB 3.0 enclosure.

Just a few ideas to get you started :)

Headplant
04-04-2015, 01:20 AM
Attached below is a window capture of the Disk Manager view of my G751JY-DH73-CA - it has 256GB M.2 SSD in bay 1 and HGST 1TB HDD in bay 2.

And this is the diskpart view of the SSD disk partitions:

DISKPART> list part

Partition ### Type Size Offset
------------- ---------------- ------- -------
* Partition 1 System 100 MB 1024 KB
Partition 2 Reserved 128 MB 101 MB
Partition 3 Primary 95 GB 229 MB
Partition 4 Primary 130 GB 95 GB
Partition 5 Recovery 12 GB 226 GB

So the recovery partition is 12GB. Windows Disk Manager does not see the Reserved partition .

Digranes
04-07-2015, 12:52 PM
Hi, I'm Italian and I have the same version of yours, G751JY-T7134H but I have the M.2 socket soldered.
I removed the SSD bracket (the stock one) and the chassis of the Sandisk SSD because I'm going to mount the M.2 bracket and the M.2 SSD (they should arrive soon I hope). I noticed that the Sandisk SSD is very thin and short, so I can leave the SSD SATA3 in the socket and mount at the same time the M2 SSD. Fantastic!
In more the SATA3 SSD is able to stay attached without any need of a screw because it needs to be "forced" to be mounted.

Hey Kalo86
Did you manage to fit both the SSD and the M.2 drive in that slot when you stripped the SSD from its casing? Considering doing the same thing :D

kalo86
04-07-2015, 04:58 PM
Hi! I got the M.2 specific bracket but I don't have the Pcie M.2 SSD. When I get this one I will report my experience ;-)

theGOAT
04-08-2015, 01:07 AM
hello everyone! i have a question, i'm planning to buy the new PCIE 3.0 x4 SM951 SSD from ramcity for my g751jy. anyone here successfully install the said ssd on there machine? is it compatible? will i have any problems installing it? im planning to use the asus backtracker for the installation. any information is welcome! thanks!

hmscott
04-08-2015, 01:21 AM
hello everyone! i have a question, i'm planning to buy the new PCIE 3.0 x4 SM951 SSD from ramcity for my g751jy. anyone here successfully install the said ssd on there machine? is it compatible? will i have any problems installing it? im planning to use the asus backtracker for the installation. any information is welcome! thanks!

Problems Installing Samsung XP941 M.2 SSD on a G751JT
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?59861-Problems-Installing-Samsung-XP941-M-2-SSD-on-a-G751JT&p=489259&viewfull=1#post489259

theGOAT
04-08-2015, 02:15 AM
Problems Installing Samsung XP941 M.2 SSD on a G751JT
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?59861-Problems-Installing-Samsung-XP941-M-2-SSD-on-a-G751JT&p=489259&viewfull=1#post489259

thanks for the quick reply hmscott!

Sanctrum
04-08-2015, 04:34 PM
BAD NEWS!

G751JY currently available at x-kom.pl in Poland ALL DO NOT HAVE Pcie M.2 connector soldered in. SIC!
Even if sold with SSD drive... SIC! It is still only SATA3 and no M.2 connector is present. So it can't be upgraded any more this way.
Also the price is little bit higher than the previous batch that had working Pcie M.2. BBBBLLLEEEE.

I will try to confirm it from a different source... if it true or mistake.

Confirmed. G751JYs available in Poland from March 2015 do not have M2 soldered in.

CLK208MB230K
04-11-2015, 10:58 AM
Good news

Hi guys,
I'm from Germany and I've bought a G751JT-T7095H yesterday.
It has a 2GB Hdd and a 256GB Sata 3 SSD and a big surprise : PCIe M.2 connector

I will pick up some pictures in the evening.

Best regards

Headplant
04-19-2015, 01:10 AM
So I have done an RMA on my 2nd G751JY-DH73-CA and now have a third one. Interesting that this 3rd one has a 15GB recovery partition (as you can see above the other 2 had 12GB) and the data partition is 3GB smaller.

ASUS Backtracker cannot currently record a recovery image to USB thumb drive in FAT32 format because while it splits 8GB inatall.wim image file into 3 smaller asus.swm files, it does not try to split the custom.wim image which is now 4.3GB in size and over the 4GB limit. The first 2 units had S/N starting with F1N0WU..., the current one has S/N starting with F2N0WU.

jinishans
04-22-2015, 06:13 AM
Any idea what's the exact SSD comes with the COSTCO models JY (980M) and JT (970M) in US available now with 24GB RAM. Is that XP941 / SM951 / simple 2.5 SSDs ?

Arkon
04-22-2015, 09:51 AM
Is there a minimum free space you should keep on the ssd? I remember people telling me not to fill my "old" crucial m4 more than half its capacity. So I have 61gb free of 119 total.
The version of the asus g751 that I'm interested in has "only" a 128gb ssd, and I will probably need more than 60gb in the future, when I install windows 10 and all updated software.

Webaia174
05-04-2015, 05:43 AM
La versione in commercio trovata in europa e quella nvme, sulla Asus g751 non viene riconosciuto come di disco di boot acquistate il modello xp941 ahci.

kinetix
05-08-2015, 06:16 AM
Hello guys. I want to build a new PC and I am stuck on choosing the best SSD. I read this article (http://www.techwarn.com/crucial-bx100-vs-mx100-review/) that compares Crucial bx100 vs mx100 . What should I choose ?

Jon G
05-10-2015, 05:26 AM
Hi Goat,
It works if you have BIOS 206 - BIOS 208 but not with BIOS 202 - BIOS 205.
On Ramcity SM951 motherboard compatibility list offers a link to notebook review where a guy with ASUS ROG G751JY purchased an SM951 for an ASUS X99 Desktop build. He said he briefly tried installing it in his G751JY with the BIOS 202 - BIOS 205 could not recognize the SM951 M.2 PCIe 3.0 SSD. He admits that he didn't waste more than five minutes with it and didn't bother to call ASUS ROG G751JY support since he purchased it for his X99 build anyhow.
I was thinking of doing the same thing with my G751JY and cloning the 256GB XP941 to the 512GB SM951 using BPlus M2M to USB 3.0 Adapter/enclosure since Samsung claims speeds of 1600MB/s reads & 1350 MB/s writes on a PCIe 2.0 controller. After reading that post, I need to update from BIOS 202 to BIOS 208 first.
If you take the chance and get it please post your results here. Thanks

hmscott
05-11-2015, 07:49 PM
Hi Goat,
On Ramcity SM915 motherboard compatibility list offers a link to notebook review where a guy with ASUS ROG G751JY purchased an SM951 for an ASUS X99 Desktop build. He said he briefly tried installing it in his G751JY and the BIOS could not recognize the PCIe 3.0 SSD. He admits that he didn't waste more than five minutes with it and didn't bother to call ASUS ROG G751JY support since he purchased it for his X99 build anyhow.
I was thinking of doing the same thing with my G751JY and cloning the 256GB XP941 to the 512GB SM951 using BPlus M2M to USB 3.0 Adapter/enclosure since Samsung claims speeds of 1600MB/s reads & 1350 MB/s writes on a PCIe 2.0 controller. After reading that post not so sure its' compatible without ASUS ROG G751JY BIOS update to support SM951 SSD if ASUS would even consider it? If you take the chance and get it please post your results here. Thanks

Jon G, yes that report was most disheartening, maybe a question should be posed to Asus to get them thinking about it? That would be the first thing, if a bunch of people with G751's asked for support of the SM951's.

https://vip.asus.com <== create a login, register your laptop, file a Technical Inquiry asking for support of the SM951, ask if they are already working on a BIOS update, or if they can confirm it already works with the G751JY 207 BIOS.

Please come back and let us know what Asus says :)

freelancer85
05-15-2015, 03:56 PM
I bought samsung sm951 256 achi version and its work great. i can post pictures if someone want

freelancer85
05-15-2015, 04:03 PM

Reddeer2015
05-15-2015, 07:27 PM
Hi freelancer85,

do you use it as the boot drive ?

Best regards

Jon G
05-15-2015, 08:40 PM
I bought samsung sm951 256 achi version and its work great. i can post pictures if someone want

Great job freelancer85, Like Reddeer2015 asks though, is it your OS boot drive? From your great picture it looks like you purchased a G751 that did not initially have the factory installed OS XP941 SSD with the ASUS G751JY M.2 PCIe SSD Caddy. Are you using the 256GB SM951 as a super fast storage SSD? Either way, great to know it works with the ASUS G751 BIOS 207 perhaps I will try to clone my 256GB XP941 SSD to the 512GB SM951 SSD then swap them out after I update BIOS 202 to BIOS 207. If I were you I would consider using less tape to hold the 256GB SM951 SSD in place though so that it won't over heat. ASUS used two little squares of double sided tape on the underside of my XP941 along with the PCIe Caddy end screw. The double sided tape does not protrude the width of the 80mm PCIe SSD Card ( Probably for thermal cooling integrity). I'll post pictures if you wish and thanks for your posts.

Jon G
05-15-2015, 09:08 PM
Hello guys. I want to build a new PC and I am stuck on choosing the best SSD. I read this article (http://www.techwarn.com/crucial-bx100-vs-mx100-review/) that compares Crucial bx100 vs mx100 . What should I choose ?

The Crucial MX100 512GB SSD is a great Budget SATA 3 SSD, 3 year warranty, 550MB/s Read, 500MB/s Write. I have two of them and they are not much slower than my faster 1TB Samsung 850 Pro which is the best SATA 3 SSD on the market, 10 year warranty, 550MB/s Read, 520MB/s Write and priced accordingly. The Crucial BX100 goes up to 1TB but the Write speed is really slow. If you need 1TB size the Samsung 850 EVO is the best way to go. The 1TB 850 EVO is relatively inexpensive, comes with a Samsung 5 year warranty, 540MB/s Read, 520MB/s Write.

freelancer85
05-16-2015, 07:55 AM

Yes Samsung 256GB SM951 is boot drive.

temp is not problem highest is 82c and that is benchmark. Normal Windows use it is typicaly about 40.

When i bounght my laptop it has 240gb kingston grappy ssd and 1tb hd. Now it is Samsung 256GB SM951and botton on it samsung 830ssd and two 1tb hardisk. on of them is hdd caddy.

Jon G
05-16-2015, 10:20 PM

temp is not problem highest is 82c and that is benchmark. Normal Windows use it is typicaly about 40.

When i bounght my laptop it has 240gb kingston grappy ssd and 1tb hd. Now it is Samsung 256GB SM951and botton on it samsung 830ssd and two 1tb hardisk. on of them is hdd caddy.

Thanks freelancer85. Which BIOS does your G751 use? Did you do a full Windows install on it, clone your OS to it, or simply use ASUS Backtracker to install OS to SM951? Thanks for your response. Take care

freelancer85
05-17-2015, 07:08 AM
Its full install and i use newest bios 207

Jon G
05-19-2015, 04:48 AM
Its full install and i use newest bios 207

Thanks for the valuable info. I'll have to flash my BIOS to 207 from BIOS 202 then I'm going to try cloning my partitioned 256GB XP941 to the 512GB SM951 so I can keep D: my steam games partition intact (using an external BPlus M2M PCIe M.2 -USB3.0 Adapter/enclosure and Acronis True Imaging 2015 Cloning software or some other drive cloning software).

jinishans
05-20-2015, 07:06 PM

Gr8.

I've 3 Qs.

1) Are you using the SM951 as well an 2.5' SSD on same bay (2.5' SSD and above that M.2) ? Is that possible ? If so, how much data transfer your get from both / when using both ? I thought both are connected internally to the MB to same, so would share the total bandwidth. The reason I'm asking is per SM951 reviews, if the BIOS update 207 supports PCIe 3.0 (Gen3) speed should be around >=2000MB/s (per spec and reviews), if you get only only ~1400MB/s, then I feel the BIOS supports only speed upto 2.0 (Gen2), maybe.

2) How even if you've M.2 above and 2.5 below in one bay, there's only one another bay I believe there in both JY and JT. Can you confirm we've a 3rd bay in these laptops ?

3) Can I use the same config on a G751JT, I believe JT and JY both are same except the GC is different. Correct me if I'm wrong.

freelancer85
05-21-2015, 06:20 PM
1) Are you using the SM951 as well an 2.5' SSD on same bay (2.5' SSD and above that M.2) ? Is that possible ? If so, how much data transfer your get from both / when using both ? I thought both are connected internally to the MB to same, so would share the total bandwidth. The reason I'm asking is per SM951 reviews, if the BIOS update 207 supports PCIe 3.0 (Gen3) speed should be around >=2000MB/s (per spec and reviews), if you get only only ~1400MB/s, then I feel the BIOS supports only speed upto 2.0 (Gen2), maybe.

yes same bay both ssd:S

) Can I use the same config on a G751JT, I believe JT and JY both are same except the GC is different. Correct me if I'm wrong.

i think you can
not sure

2) How even if you've M.2 above and 2.5 below in one bay, there's only one another bay I believe there in both JY and JT. Can you confirm we've a 3rd bay in these laptops ?

one hdd is second bay and one is on hddcaddy on dvd drive bay

jinishans
05-21-2015, 10:35 PM

1) Can you check with SSD tools (eg. HD Tune Pro) what's the interface speed for both of these 2 SSD's (2.5' ssd and above M.2 SM951).

one hdd is second bay and one is on hddcaddy on dvd drive bay

2) I believe 2nd bay is SATA II per other Asus form threads, can you check the dvd drive bay is also same SATA 2 or 3.

"per SM951 reviews, if the BIOS update 207 supports PCIe 3.0 (Gen3) speed should be around >=2000MB/s (per spec and reviews), if you get only only ~1400MB/s, then I feel the BIOS supports only speed upto 2.0 (Gen2), maybe."

3) Did you get a chance to check why your SM951 not reaching 2GB/s as claimed by Samsung and few reviews. your views on this please.

freelancer85
05-22-2015, 08:15 AM
1) Can you check with SSD tools (eg. HD Tune Pro) what's the interface speed for both of these 2 SSD's (2.5' ssd and above M.2 SM951).

2) I believe 2nd bay is SATA II per other Asus form threads, can you check the dvd drive bay is also same SATA 2 or 3.

"per SM951 reviews, if the BIOS update 207 supports PCIe 3.0 (Gen3) speed should be around >=2000MB/s (per spec and reviews), if you get only only ~1400MB/s, then I feel the BIOS supports only speed upto 2.0 (Gen2), maybe."

it is sata 3

3) Did you get a chance to check why your SM951 not reaching 2GB/s as claimed by Samsung and few reviews. your views on this please.

i dont know why so slow speed

jinishans
05-26-2015, 04:36 AM
i dont know why so slow speed

Thanks for the screen shot. Both of the SSD's, M.2 (top) and 2.5 (below that) per your setup, are showing SATA 3 (6GB/s), don't know why.

I believe left side of the HD Pro screen is the M.2 ssd drive, still shows the speed as SATA 3 (6 GB/s), though you're getting around 1400MB/s and the 2.5' ssd below your M.2 (in the same 1st bay per your setup), also shows SATA 3 (6 GB/s). As you're already getting 1400 MB/s, HD Pro is not able to find that out is what I feel.

On top of all this, you're NOT getting ~ 2GB/s, per other reviews of SM951 on X99 kind of desktop boards (which is the only one supporting as of today PCIe 3.0 with NVMe I believe. So, either the M.2 port in ASUS laptop is PCIe 2.0 or if it's PCIe 3.0 (per ASUS moderator in this thread) the BIOS is still not supporting 3.0. Need to wait and see if someone else try this out.

I think I need to order one from costco 751JT and try it out :)

Could you pls let us know what's the material (grey color) you've used to separate M.2 and the below 2.5' ssd ?

jinishans
05-31-2015, 07:25 PM

Hi - I just ordered my G751JT, on the way, will receive it by 3rd June. I'll makesure it has the PCIe slot and order SM951 NVMe (http://www.legitreviews.com/samsung-sm951-nvme-m-2-pcie-ssd-review_162219).

Could you pls let me know what was that grey color separator you've used, sorry if this Q is really dumb. I never used such thing. Is that a heat absorber of some kind. Can you or someone suggest.

freelancer85
05-31-2015, 07:57 PM
Hi - I just ordered my G751JT, on the way, will receive it by 3rd June. I'll makesure it has the PCIe slot and order SM951 NVMe (http://www.legitreviews.com/samsung-sm951-nvme-m-2-pcie-ssd-review_162219).

Could you pls let me know what was that grey color separator you've used, sorry if this Q is really dumb. I never used such thing. Is that a heat absorber of some kind. Can you or someone suggest.

No its not dumb question. :) Its is legendary Jesus tape.
My Samsung SM951 is achi version. I think there is achi and MVMe versions.

jinishans
05-31-2015, 08:59 PM
No its not dumb question. :) Its is legendary Jesus tape.
My Samsung SM951 is achi version. I think there is achi and MVMe versions.

Thanks for your quick response. Appreciate that. Yep, I need to check which one'll work ACHI or NVMe on this, not sure I'll even get a NVMe version of SM951.

Sorry for my ignorance again, so you mean to say this is just regular 'Scotch duct tape'. What for you've used it, does it absorb or stop heat getting spilled over to the other SSD ?

freelancer85
05-31-2015, 09:19 PM
Samsung SM951 not getting too hot because its only Windows 8.1 disk and i do not other operations on it. It is hotter when i run Windows updates.
Samsung 830 is only Gta 5 and CSS gaming disk that not stress disk much. Both disk temp are very good. Jesus tape is only separator i dont think it is nothing else. Hope you understand my bad english.

jinishans
06-01-2015, 04:17 AM
Samsung SM951 not getting too hot because its only Windows 8.1 disk and i do not other operations on it. It is hotter when i run Windows updates.
Samsung 830 is only Gta 5 and CSS gaming disk that not stress disk much. Both disk temp are very good. Jesus tape is only separator i dont think it is nothing else. Hope you understand my bad english.

Ok I thought it might need some heat dispenser kind of stuff, which is what you've. Thanks anyways for the clarification.

kalo86
06-01-2015, 07:10 PM
Hi, is there a way to understand if a SM951 is ACHI or NVMe? Thank you!

freelancer85
06-02-2015, 09:46 AM
Look model code.
NVMe version: model:MZ-VPV
ACHI version: model:MZ-HPV

AQUASTEVAE
06-03-2015, 02:59 AM
Look model code.
NVMe version: model:MZ-VPV
ACHI version: model:MZ-HPV

can the g751jy take advantage of the nvme performance boost? if so, where can you buy the nvme version of the SM951?

UPDATE: i have possibly found a place to get the NVMe SM951, for cheaper than Amazon is selling the MZ-HPV one for. i will know within a day or two. let me know if any of you want the information.

AQUASTEVAE
06-03-2015, 03:10 AM
nm as it wouldn't allow me to delete this.

jinishans
06-04-2015, 02:51 AM
can the g751jy take advantage of the nvme performance boost? if so, where can you buy the nvme version of the SM951?

UPDATE: i have possibly found a place to get the NVMe SM951, for cheaper than Amazon is selling the MZ-HPV one for. i will know within a day or two. let me know if any of you want the information.

Can you pls share the link/site for the same.

Matthew_88
06-04-2015, 11:13 AM
Is the new SM951 ssd compatible with G751JY? Asus working on it? ? ? I read forums there are some problems between the products...

jinishans
06-04-2015, 05:26 PM
Yep, Read this thread, 8/9th pages, you'll get more details.

Space Paste
06-05-2015, 04:10 AM
Is the new SM951 ssd compatible with G751JY? Asus working on it? ? ? I read forums there are some problems between the products...

As long as you purchase the AHCI version of the SM951 SSD it will work just fine. The NVMe version will not work unless ASUS introduces NVMe support in a future BIOS update.

AQUASTEVAE
06-05-2015, 06:14 AM
.http://www.megamac.co.uk/products/samsung-512gb-sm951-m-2-nvme-pcie-3-0-x4-80mm-ssd-mzvpv512hdgl-00000

the above url is where i found it, but i have decided not to pursue it, as NVMe doesn't work on our model yet, and i don't trust asus to get us an updated bios any time soon, or if they did, that it would work properly.
so i just decided to order the 500gb ahci version on amazon. i should have it within the next five days.

i have a related question for those who have done it. what is the easiest, and best way to transfer your current os to a new ssd?
my plan, at the moment, is to install the sm951, do a fresh install of win 10 on it, partition it, and then restore a macrium disk image of my current os. but i am open to better solutions if any of you guys have any.

jinishans
06-05-2015, 06:55 PM

I just got my 751JT and it does have same way both SATA 3 port and PCIe M.2 in same bay, but, when i use a regular 2.5' SSD, i couldn't insert M.2 ssd on top of it (kind of bumpy above 2.5' ssd). Just wanted to check with you this. Are you using the regular 2.5' ssd in that bay or any special think ssd (i don't know one exists) as i don't want to break my M.2 ssd.

Space Paste
06-05-2015, 07:49 PM
I just got my 751JT and it does have same way both SATA 3 port and PCIe M.2 in same bay, but, when i use a regular 2.5' SSD, i couldn't insert M.2 ssd on top of it (kind of bumpy above 2.5' ssd). Just wanted to check with you this. Are you using the regular 2.5' ssd in that bay or any special think ssd (i don't know one exists) as i don't want to break my M.2 ssd.

Unless pictures are posted showing how that setup appears, it's hard to say what was done to accomplish a full 2.5" SSD + M.2 SSD setup.

I don't know if you've seen other solutions on this forum, but a common one I'm starting to see is purchasing a Samsung 850 EVO no bigger than 256 GB due to the small form factor of the PCB, removing it from its shell and inserting it directly into the SATA III connector. The size of the 2.5" drive when stripped from its shell will leave the M.2 SSD with breathing room of its own. One user reported that the connection seemed like a solid fit and did not feel the need to modify the M.2 SSD caddy to fasten the stripped 2.5" SSD with screws.

If you don't need a SATA III 2.5" SSD beyond 256 GB then that might be your best bet.

kalo86
06-05-2015, 08:43 PM
Hello, I think I can share my experience regarding the specific M.2 bracket.
I have got the italian version of G751JY which brings the Sandisk SSD SATA3 128GB.
I bought the M.2 bracket, mounted it on my G751, removed the plastic shell from the Sandisk SSD and mounted it on the SATA3 port. Simple and rock solid since the SSD is very light and short. There is not need to use any screws to fix the SSD SATA3. So I confirm what @Space Paste wrote previously.

Edweird
06-05-2015, 09:10 PM
Wait...you BOUGHT the M.2 bracket? They are available where you live?

Please share.

Space Paste
06-05-2015, 10:15 PM
I, too, am curious how you managed to purchase an M.2 bracket. A lot of G751 owners who are still fortunate to have the M.2 connector despite not having an M.2 SSD are probably foaming at the mouth to know what your source is.

Did this M.2 bracket somehow come from ASUS, or is it an aftermarket variant? Also, did it include any thermal tape for the M.2 SSD like the stock configurations that come with one do?

AQUASTEVAE
06-06-2015, 05:53 AM
ok, for several of you who have questions, here is how i did it. first i bought a samsung evo 1tb ssd, and took it out of its case. then i took the pcie ssd drive off of the bracket. under the bracket was two sticky tabs, that i used to bufferthe bottom of the pcie drive on the bottom of the drive bay. i plugged in the pcie drive, with no bracket, and put the sticky tabs under it for support. then i placed the 1 tb sata ssd into its slot on top of the pcie ssd, with only a slight piece of electrical tape between the two drives for separation. then i taped the outward edge of the sata ssd to the bottom of the drive bay laterally, and ran another piece of electrical tape along the bottom of the drive bay in the opposite direction over the first one, so it will not become loose. the two drives work perfectly together, and i can put four drives in the notebook now. i have a crucial m100 in the second drive bay, and am thinking about putting another ssd in the blueray bay, as i almost never use the blueray drive for anything.

Reddeer2015
06-06-2015, 10:23 AM
@Edweird

Hi,

here you can buy the M.2 bracket :

http://www.asusparts.eu/en/Asus-13NB06F1M04011

Best regards from Germany
Reddeer2015

Edweird
06-06-2015, 10:51 AM
Holy... thank you so much! There's a lot of people that want this. Now to find that tape they use to prop up the M.2 drive. With shipping, that comes to over 30 euro for me, quite expensive for a bit of metal :)

Reddeer2015
06-06-2015, 11:00 AM
Yes, it's expensive but it is the only place to buy it at the moment.

Where do you live ?

Edweird
06-06-2015, 11:03 AM
Bulgaria :)
(I'm not sure why my Country/Region did not show up on my last post.)
The price is actually more than my daily wage and I get almost three times the minimum pay.
That's not that bad when you think about it but setting money aside is hard enough even without wanting to buy upgrades for your already expensive laptop. Still, thank you for the link, it will help out a lot of people on this forum.

Rep given accordingly.

Reddeer2015
06-06-2015, 11:10 AM
It's a little bit crazy with this Asus Parts Shop, because you ( Bulgaria ) and I ( Germany ) have to pay more, than buyers from the U.S..
The shop is located in Sweden . Very strange !

jinishans
06-07-2015, 12:15 AM
Unless pictures are posted showing how that setup appears, it's hard to say what was done to accomplish a full 2.5" SSD + M.2 SSD setup.

I don't know if you've seen other solutions on this forum, but a common one I'm starting to see is purchasing a Samsung 850 EVO no bigger than 256 GB due to the small form factor of the PCB, removing it from its shell and inserting it directly into the SATA III connector. The size of the 2.5" drive when stripped from its shell will leave the M.2 SSD with breathing room of its own. One user reported that the connection seemed like a solid fit and did not feel the need to modify the M.2 SSD caddy to fasten the stripped 2.5" SSD with screws.

If you don't need a SATA III 2.5" SSD beyond 256 GB then that might be your best bet.

@Space Paste - I didn't do M.2 over 2.5' drive, it was done by @freelancer85 (https://rog.asus.com/forum/member.php?223509-freelancer85) and he's posted an image of how he did it in this same thread page #8 (https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?52551-g751jy-Pcie-ssd-questions/page8) and you can see the image he's shared here (https://rog.asus.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=49276&d=1431705770) as well. @Freelancer85 was kind enough to quickly respond to share few more details on how much bandwidth he's got in M.2 and 2.5' ssd below that in the SAME BAY in pages #8, 9 and 10. He was the 1st to have both in SAME BAY I believe shared his experience and I've ordered G751JT from costco.com after his confirmation, just to the laptop 2 days back. He just used some regular Tape to separate them.

Issue is, when I try to use the same way the M.2 drive is slightly slanting ontop of 2.5' ssd, I don't want to start the laptop having the M.2 drive like this way, wanted to check how he's done it. Looks like he's not seen mail from this forum last few days, so no response.

But, I'm glad we've lot of folks using G751 following / subscribed to this thread, got lot of suggestions now. Being the 2nd BAY is just SATA 2, I badly want to go with the way @Freelancer85 has done it, both 2.5' ssd and M.2 ssd in the SAME BAY, without breaking the M.2. More suggestions r welcome, I'm really new to M.2 and not done anything like suggested by others (ripping the shell of 2.5' ssd which might void the warranty of 2.5' ssd as well.

There seems to be yet another issue.

My GT-CH71 doesn't have a M.2 connector. I was just wondering is it possible to still fix a M.2 ssd or it's not advisable, in which case I just've to return it.

Also, i just saw in another thread this model in some batch doesn't come with the M.2 connector and some has it. Is there a list we've comes with M.2 connector or it's just by luck, especially for GT-CH71.

kalo86
06-07-2015, 06:21 PM
Hello guys,

I bought the M.2 bracket on this online shop: http://www.asusparts.eu/it/Asus-13NB06F1M04011
I am a lucky owner of a G751JY (Italian model) with the empty M.2 socket. For this reason I bought the specific socket, I mounted it and now I am waiting for a good offer about the Samsung XP941 256GB.
The "nice" thing is that is possible to mount the Sandisk SSD SATAIII 128GB without any frame (only the logic part) with the M.2 bracket.

Space Paste
06-08-2015, 12:44 AM
@Space Paste - I didn't do M.2 over 2.5' drive, it was done by @freelancer85 (https://rog.asus.com/forum/member.php?223509-freelancer85) and he's posted an image of how he did it in this same thread page #8 (https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?52551-g751jy-Pcie-ssd-questions/page8) and you can see the image he's shared here (https://rog.asus.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=49276&d=1431705770) as well. @Freelancer85 was kind enough to quickly respond to share few more details on how much bandwidth he's got in M.2 and 2.5' ssd below that in the SAME BAY in pages #8, 9 and 10. He was the 1st to have both in SAME BAY I believe shared his experience and I've ordered G751JT from costco.com after his confirmation, just to the laptop 2 days back. He just used some regular Tape to separate them.

Issue is, when I try to use the same way the M.2 drive is slightly slanting ontop of 2.5' ssd, I don't want to start the laptop having the M.2 drive like this way, wanted to check how he's done it. Looks like he's not seen mail from this forum last few days, so no response.

But, I'm glad we've lot of folks using G751 following / subscribed to this thread, got lot of suggestions now. Being the 2nd BAY is just SATA 2, I badly want to go with the way @Freelancer85 has done it, both 2.5' ssd and M.2 ssd in the SAME BAY, without breaking the M.2. More suggestions r welcome, I'm really new to M.2 and not done anything like suggested by others (ripping the shell of 2.5' ssd which might void the warranty of 2.5' ssd as well.

Oh, you're right. I forgot about those pictures a few pages back; my bad. It looks somewhat clean, but I don't trust myself to accomplish the same thing with that much tape. That, plus I don't think it would be good to use that much in the first place, but what do I know. I guess I just hate tape. lol

I'm curious if it's possible to fabricate a ventilation-friendly solution for a M.2 SSD + 1TB SSD in the same bay that doesn't require obtrusive modifications, or if it's been done already.

There seems to be yet another issue.

My GT-CH71 doesn't have a M.2 connector. I was just wondering is it possible to still fix a M.2 ssd or it's not advisable, in which case I just've to return it.

Also, i just saw in another thread this model in some batch doesn't come with the M.2 connector and some has it. Is there a list we've comes with M.2 connector or it's just by luck, especially for GT-CH71.

Yikes...I think you're unlucky. It appears to be random and I don't think there is a specific model where the M.2 connector is guaranteed to be absent. Edweird was one of the fortunate owners to receive one in a G751JY-T7065D post RMA. I believe some have the connector fresh out of the box, too. Who knows why they're not being built consistently.

I'd return it and, if possible and you have the money to spare, go for a model that comes with an M.2 drive.

chris.crybaby
06-16-2015, 08:00 PM
Hello guys,

I bought the M.2 bracket on this online shop: http://www.asusparts.eu/it/Asus-13NB06F1M04011
I am a lucky owner of a G751JY (Italian model) with the empty M.2 socket. For this reason I bought the specific socket, I mounted it and now I am waiting for a good offer about the Samsung XP941 256GB.
The "nice" thing is that is possible to mount the Sandisk SSD SATAIII 128GB without any frame (only the logic part) with the M.2 bracket.

Has anyone whose G751JY came without any SSD managed to get an SSD working in the M.2 socket on PCIE?
Mine came with 1TB HDD only, I haven't opened the user accessible area yet but I'm thinking of purchasing an M.2 SSD but want to make sure it's possible to get it working first. Any recommendations in terms of brand/model?

kingjezdi
06-19-2015, 01:09 PM
maybe u can buy the ASUS ROG G751JY T7162H, i have this one, with M.2, but ask first there before buy...

or u wait for the G750, with 980M 8 GB Graphic, removeble Battery

http://www.emag.ro/laptop-gaming-asus-cu-procesor-intelr-coretm-i7-4710hq-2-50ghz-haswelltm-17-3-full-hd-24gb-1tb-2-x-128gb-ssd-blu-ray-nvidia-geforce-gtx-980m-8gb-free-dos-black-g750jy-t4036d/pd/D8DZWBBBM/

https://www.alternate.be/ASUS/G750JY-T4009H-BE/html/product/1157367

Tindreal
06-22-2015, 05:20 PM
I had an m.2 connector (I have the msot expensive model in my country) but when it came back from RMA I noticed that my m2 connector is missing and the tech guys swapped my mb with one that does not have m2.

Do I have right to complain ?

kingjezdi
06-25-2015, 05:39 PM
try to complain !!!
i mean u had an better MB, now one withoug m.2! the repair shop has to deal with the complaint!

chriscrybaby
07-01-2015, 12:35 PM
Could somebody please confirm if the Kingston SSD HyperX Predator 240GB M.2 SHPM2280P2/240G is compatible with the G751JY (I also ordered the upgrade bracket) And also let me know what to look out for when buying m2 PCIE SSD to asure compatibility? Please I'd really appreciate any help.

winylka
07-02-2015, 09:26 AM
Anyone knows if Asus will support NVMe on G751 models?

elucidated
07-07-2015, 11:16 PM
So this is an old thread, but I managed to put 3 HDD's in the G751JY
1 M.2 Sata
1 SSD in Drive Bay 0
1 Normal HDD in Drive Bay 1
Windows Explorer shows all 3 without any issues and booting etc is working as it should be.

jinishans
07-08-2015, 02:41 AM
1 M.2 Sata
1 SSD in Drive Bay 0
Windows Explorer shows all 3 without any issues and booting etc is working as it should be.

Are you booting from M.2 ?

Why you've put M.2 SATA when G751JY supports M.2 PCIe Gen 3 (4 times faster than M.2 SATA) ?

d0r1n
07-11-2015, 03:28 PM
i can put m.2 sata3 ssd on g751jy?
i thought that only pcie ssd work on that port,please confirm

hmscott
07-13-2015, 02:12 AM
1 M.2 Sata
1 SSD in Drive Bay 0

elucidated, which Asus laptop are you speaking of?

The G750JH/JZ/JY have the M.2 Sata interface, and the G751JT/JY's with the M.2 socket are all PCIE x4.

And, this is the G751 forum, so your M.2 Sata story doesn't really fit here :)

alex_markov
07-15-2015, 04:16 AM
At the beginning i had no M2 slot soldered :( , after RMA slot is in place (USB's are steal not working :( ) But when i plug my SM951 in it, laptop cant pass beyond ROG logo in BIOS, disk led is flashing for nearly a minute then shuts down :( . In service, they do not know what's going on (on top of this motherboards they have are without M2 slot :( ) so now i have expensive piece of hardware (Samsung SM951 - with installed OS on it from other laptop) i have no where to use :(

FalloutBoy
07-18-2015, 02:39 AM
I have an G751JY - I am presently seeking two items.

1) A PCIe M.2 SSD replacement for my 256G M.2 >= 480G that will work with the G751JY, I had read somewhere that only AHCI mode drives work
is this correct?

2) A tray to replace the Internal BD drive with another SSD or HD.

I am also considering adding a drive into the bay with the M2. SSD obviously this will need to be another SATA SSD which I believe is doable.

Recommendations would be welcome.

AQUASTEVAE
07-20-2015, 08:35 PM
i have four ssd's in my g751jy. my main boot ssd is the samsung sm951 pcie 3 x4 512gb. i have it in the same bay as my samsung 1tb 840 evo. while
i am satisfied that i have them in there very well, i would like to check the temps on them, but have forgotten which software they previously spoke
about which they used to do so. if anyone on here knows the best software to do this, WHICH THEY'VE USED, please let me know. too much conflicting info on google.

and falloutboy, there are several threads on here about the setup in the first drive bay, with the sata ssd and the pcie ssd. i have it going, and it isn't very hard to do. just take the brackets off of both.

jemmos
07-23-2015, 09:03 PM
Just finished a massive post on this subject, and don't really feel like retyping it all, link at bottom of post.

Suffice to say, on the matter of speed, you're never going to hit 2GB/s. All our lovely G751 use the The Intel® 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset which only supports 8 Gen2 PCIe lanes.

4x Gen2 PCIe @ 5Gbit lanes will give you a theoretical max of 20 Gbit or 1600 MB/s. Now, because it is still using the Sata and AHCI interface though a 4x PCIe channel, you have 20 to 30 % overhead as well Bringing you down to 1120-1280 range on a Gen2 PCIe device like the XP941.

The fact that your getting 1400 MB/s @ only 8% overhead with the 951 is impressive, I know nvme overhead is supposed to be around 3-5%
"This next part is a guess, but perhaps because the 951 is Gen3 and can be ahci or nvme its seeing a bit of the benefits in overhead reduction, even if not full supported, the protocol is backwards compatible. I'll have to check if it has a new ahci revision or not,."

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?57954-Samsung-XP941-256GB-owners-please-post-your-AS-SSD-Benchmarks&p=521311&viewfull=1#post521311

elucidated
07-24-2015, 01:55 AM
Sorry - I'm using the M.2 PCIe card and booting off it,
I have a G751J model.

elucidated
07-24-2015, 01:57 AM
Yeah my bad on that.
The system came with the M.2 PCIe as the System Drive. (I just thought M.2 was the standard - I didn't think about the interface)
Yes, I'm booting from it.
I have a 1Tb SSD that I had to take out of it's shell to share the same space as the M.2 PCIe

AQUASTEVAE
07-24-2015, 09:41 PM
no message...

aeolisio
07-26-2015, 05:37 AM
you can buy a 3d printed M.2 tray here on shapeways
http://shpws.me/JcEy
or check this thread for pictures
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?71609-G751JY-DB73X-and-other-G751-s-M-2-bracket-3d-printed-and-heatsinked

fidelity101
07-26-2015, 10:43 PM
Is there a 3d printed bracket designed to hold two drives in a single bay on the G751JY? I'm looking for a simple setup (but not tape or glue) so I can just drop another SSD inside Bay 1 and be ready to load GTA 5 in half the time. I was thinking about a 250Gb drive as I'm not sure anything large can fit?

I'm looking at this drive:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-SSD-mSATA-256GB-Solid-State-Drive-PM851-MODEL-MZ-MTE256D-/291516297654?

aeolisio
07-27-2015, 12:03 AM
There is enough room to put a 850 evo 250gb with the cover removed in the first bay with this tray. I have installed it for 3 coworkers in that configuration. The 850 doesnt need any additional reinforcement the sata port holds it well enough, only the m.2 needs its own tray. If you wanted one for looks you would have to send me some measurements of the naked 850 and ill design it but i don't use one in my own G751 because the SM951 is so much faster across pcie there is no point is using a standard SSD for anything.

borkri
07-31-2015, 08:57 PM
Just a quick question regarding the ssd in the G751jy, the samsung mzhpu512hcgl 00005 disk.... on my old laptop I had one evo800 or something ssd and ran it with the samsung magician software to optimize it with windows ...

Are there any such software for this laptop when runninng windows 10 ? Or is it at all needed?

Any advice/settings and such to get optimal out of the ssd and the hdd would be appreciated

b.

aeolisio
08-01-2015, 01:36 AM
Just a quick question regarding the ssd in the G751jy, the samsung mzhpu512hcgl 00005 disk.... on my old laptop I had one evo800 or something ssd and ran it with the samsung magician software to optimize it with windows ...

Are there any such software for this laptop when runninng windows 10 ? Or is it at all needed?

Any advice/settings and such to get optimal out of the ssd and the hdd would be appreciated

b.
magician does very little for the oem m.2 drives trim support is done through the windows optimize and defragment tool under drive properties. Just optimize after you finish your first installs and it will trim on its own when needed after that. If you need any windows 10 install help go here https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?72650-How-to-upgrade-to-windows-10-upgrade-and-clean-install-simple-guide

jinishans
08-03-2015, 03:50 PM
Hi All

I've a quick Q. I've a 751JT, thinking it'll have M.2 drive, but, it doesn't even have a connector, not sure why they left that part bare openly available for us without the connector in Bay 1. Why couldn't they provide with a connector at least. Now, by the time I realize JT doesn't have the connector, costco.com removed the product listing for JY today morning, now both JT and JY aren't available.

My question is, can someone tell me, is there a way to install the M.2 connector and use an M.2 drive in my 751JT or it's no way possible ?

pls suggest.

fidelity101
08-03-2015, 07:28 PM
There is enough room to put a 850 evo 250gb with the cover removed in the first bay with this tray. I have installed it for 3 coworkers in that configuration. The 850 doesnt need any additional reinforcement the sata port holds it well enough, only the m.2 needs its own tray. If you wanted one for looks you would have to send me some measurements of the naked 850 and ill design it but i don't use one in my own G751 because the SM951 is so much faster across pcie there is no point is using a standard SSD for anything.

Thank you for answering the question and apologies for the long delay. I just found a deal on ebay I couldn't refuse (500GB Samsung EVO for $150) so I grabbed it. The question now is, can it fit in the primary slot or is it to large? I recall reading something about someone making it fit but I'd rather not have a glue/tape situation going.

aeolisio
08-04-2015, 03:03 AM
Thank you for answering the question and apologies for the long delay. I just found a deal on ebay I couldn't refuse (500GB Samsung EVO for $150) so I grabbed it. The question now is, can it fit in the primary slot or is it to large? I recall reading something about someone making it fit but I'd rather not have a glue/tape situation going.

You helped me before regarding mounting a 250GB drive, but I found a great deal on the 500GB and couldn't pass it up. Do you think your mount would allow me to install both...or could you modify the mount to install both? I've read up on the differences between HDD's and SSD's on SATA 2 and it's still an incredible upgrade so worst case scenario I'll just replace the 1TB HDD in Bay 2. It would be very nice to simply add the third drive however and use it to store all of my video games...so GTA5 doesn't take 5 minutes to load. :)
i can modify the mount and release a new one on shapeways. You will have to of courseremove the 500gb ssd from its case for it to fit and install it first it wont be connected to my mount but it will be stable on its own. Theres no way to connect it to my mount because they install differently.

aeolisio
08-04-2015, 03:04 AM
Hi All

I've a quick Q. I've a 751JT, thinking it'll have M.2 drive, but, it doesn't even have a connector, not sure why they left that part bare openly available for us without the connector in Bay 1. Why couldn't they provide with a connector at least. Now, by the time I realize JT doesn't have the connector, costco.com removed the product listing for JY today morning, now both JT and JY aren't available.

My question is, can someone tell me, is there a way to install the M.2 connector and use an M.2 drive in my 751JT or it's no way possible ?

pls suggest.
you could have it soldered on but a shop somewhere but it wont be cheap.

aeolisio
08-04-2015, 05:05 AM
Here are the modified versions to fit a second ssd in bay 1 thats larger than the 850 evo 250gb i highly recommend you use one of the other brackets if possible if you are just installing the m.2 by itself or are using a 850 evo 250gb as the second drive in the same bay.
an open top for heatsinks
http://shpws.me/JtU4
covered top for no heatsinks but more rigidity
http://shpws.me/JtUm
link to all of my brackets
https://www.shapeways.com/shops/aeolisio

fidelity101
08-07-2015, 10:44 PM
I ordered the bracket with top cover (no heatsinks) for rigidity and I got impatient as it still shows an estimated ship date of 8/18...so I decided to install everything before the bracket arrived. I used the little rubberish blue square pieces that were attached to the metal bracket holding the PCIE drive in place as spacers between the PCIE drive and the 500GB Samsung SSD drive. I also used a piece of doubled sided foam tape (1/8" thick) to hold the 500GB drive level before installing the PCIE drop on top of it (with the little blue squares keeping them separated.

This probably isn't the smartest option but I was impatient. I have been running the system for 24 hours now and both drives are hovering around 30-32C. The 500GB SSD drive is now about 30GB shy of being full as I transferred all of the video games over to it. GTA5 use to peg the HDD at 100% for a few minutes while the game loaded and during each cut scene or transfer. Now the SSD drive goes to about 20% at the highest and the load times are much faster...I'm a happy camper! :) I'll pull things apart once the 3D printed bracket shows up and take pictures of the installation. I would like to thank aeolisio for taking the time to make that bracket...I'll be a lot more confident moving the laptop around once I have a bracket holding the PCIE drive in place.

fidelity101
08-18-2015, 11:51 PM
So I took my laptop on a little trip and decided to open up the bottom plate to make sure the PCIE drive was still attached...it wasn't! I can't thank aerolisio enough for making this 3D mount! Here are some pictures showing the PCIE drive installed over a 500GB Samsung 850 SSD drive. Before this mount was received, I used the stock foam tape...which was a bad idea as even the slightest tap would dislodge the drive.

aeolisio
08-18-2015, 11:55 PM
So I took my laptop on a little trip and decided to open up the bottom plate to make sure the PCIE drive was still attached...it wasn't! I can't thank aerolisio enough for making this 3D mount! Here are some pictures showing the PCIE drive installed over a 500GB Samsung 850 SSD drive. Before this mount was received, I used the stock foam tape...which was a bad idea as even the slightest tap would dislodge the drive.

Your very welcome i only made them to help people and protect those pcie M.2s. Can you post those pics in the bracket thread for me so it can be consolidated.
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?71609-G751JY-DB73X-and-other-G751-s-M-2-bracket-3d-printed-and-heatsinked

jinishans
08-31-2015, 10:31 PM
Just wanted to check with you guys again.

I've got G751JT, but it seems not having a connector for M.2 though there's provision in the bay. Is this a one off issue/I should return and get a different unit or by default JT model does NOT have the M.2 connector and only JY model comes with it ?

Can someone suggest whether it's possible to add the PCIe/M.2 Connector (there's option for M.2, in Bay 1), not sure whether it's advisable. Someone in another thread mentioned it would cost more, but, my Q is whether it's possible to Add a M.2 connector in that spot, then I can try adding a M.2 drive in my JT.

aeolisio
08-31-2015, 10:37 PM
Just wanted to check with you guys again.

I've got G751JT, but it seems not having a connector for M.2 though there's provision in the bay. Is this a one off issue/I should return and get a different unit or by default JT model does NOT have the M.2 connector and only JY model comes with it ?

Can someone suggest whether it's possible to add the PCIe/M.2 Connector (there's option for M.2, in Bay 1), not sure whether it's advisable. Someone in another thread mentioned it would cost more, but, my Q is whether it's possible to Add a M.2 connector in that spot, then I can try adding a M.2 drive in my JT.

No shop i can think of will solder a m.2 connector on that and any that will will not only void your warranty but be expensive. Some people have RMAed g751s that didnt have the connector and got lucky with new motherboards with connectors so that might be your best bet.

jinishans
08-31-2015, 11:15 PM
Tx for your quick update. I'll go the RMA route.

aeolisio
09-01-2015, 12:24 PM
No problem good luck. Message me if you need any help after.

Edweird
09-04-2015, 08:20 PM
I'm one of the lucky people aeolisio mentioned. Then again, I don't know of anyone else.
Worth trying. Maybe one day we'll get G-SYNC enabled motherboards, too, hmm?

aeolisio
09-04-2015, 11:03 PM
I'm one of the lucky people aeolisio mentioned. Then again, I don't know of anyone else.
Worth trying. Maybe one day we'll get G-SYNC enabled motherboards, too, hmm?

The longer you wait the better the odds as they may eventually run out of non g sync stock or they may have produced far more than they expected defects for. I have seen asus upgrade an entire laptop when they didnt have the exact board to replace instead of offering a slightly different variation but i wouldnt count on it.

joshindaphils
09-09-2015, 05:27 AM
No shop i can think of will solder a m.2 connector on that and any that will will not only void your warranty but be expensive. Some people have RMAed g751s that didnt have the connector and got lucky with new motherboards with connectors so that might be your best bet.

Regarding finding a shop to do the service it depends where you are, I can go to a mall here and there are literally rows of guys with SMT gear that would take the job for ~$10USD. You can get doner parts on AliExpress for about ~$8USD. If you are stateside, then yah good luck, outside of your good suggestion there is always a skilled friend / hobbyist that could take it on, perhaps a lot more willing if risk is waved.

Any time I do something like this for a friend it is under the caveat that they assume they are not getting the machine back and I am free to take a hammer to it (not that I would) the point being I am glad to help out but don't be pissed at me if it doesn't work out.

Edweird
09-23-2015, 01:53 PM
For anyone who isn't aware - the Samsung 950 PRO M.2 NVMe is coming out next month and it comes with its own NVMe driver. And yeah, it beats the SM951 for speed. 2500MB/s sequential read speeds. O.o
$199 for the 256GB model, pretty good deal.

I'm guessing it's gonna be either this or the SM951 NVMe in the G752.
It'd be nice if this new drive could be used as a boot drive on the G751...

aeolisio
09-29-2015, 01:46 AM
For anyone who isn't aware - the Samsung 950 PRO M.2 NVMe is coming out next month and it comes with its own NVMe driver. And yeah, it beats the SM951 for speed. 2500MB/s sequential read speeds. O.o
$199 for the 256GB model, pretty good deal.

I'm guessing it's gonna be either this or the SM951 NVMe in the G752.
It'd be nice if this new drive could be used as a boot drive on the G751...
The move to V-NAND is nice and was expected on the sm951 release. After much whining and coaxing i managed to get one shipped out and should arrive the 30th. Since it is supposed to be released later in october its not exactly ahead of the mark but its still a few days before linus gets his so hopefully ill have some benchmarks by next week for anyone interested. I doubt its a noticable improvement but the availability and easier warranty should win over some people.

joshindaphils
09-29-2015, 01:23 PM
The move to V-NAND is nice and was expected on the sm951 release. After much whining and coaxing i managed to get one shipped out and should arrive the 30th. Since it is supposed to be released later in october its not exactly ahead of the mark but its still a few days before linus gets his so hopefully ill have some benchmarks by next week for anyone interested. I doubt its a noticable improvement but the availability and easier warranty should win over some people.

In another post you mentioned using NVMe disk in our g751s, but searching has failed me. I would love to grab the 1TB version of the 950 when it pops up next year, but it doesn't look feasible unless NVMe support is some form is available.

If you could please correct my interpretation of your post or give me a clue as to how this can be done (link, etc)

Thanks!

Edweird
09-29-2015, 02:55 PM
iirc, 751 refuses to boot off NVMe, only AHCI ones?

joshindaphils
09-29-2015, 05:36 PM

This is my understanding as well, however Aeolisio's post over here https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?59142-G751JY-M-2-SSD-Compatibility&p=538293&viewfull=1#post538293 indicates that it has been done.

I'm not familiar with what hangups there would be using the drive other than some educated guesses. I just don't get to play with a myriad of hardware like I used to sadly (and not so sadly hehe). I would love to know if this is a plausible purchase so I can budget for it.

aeolisio
09-30-2015, 11:48 PM
In another post you mentioned using NVMe disk in our g751s, but searching has failed me. I would love to grab the 1TB version of the 950 when it pops up next year, but it doesn't look feasible unless NVMe support is some form is available.

If you could please correct my interpretation of your post or give me a clue as to how this can be done (link, etc)

Thanks!

It would be so much easier if people just messaged me i dont check every thread every day.
Yes we did get 1 951 nvme to boot in a g751. No it wasnt easy and involved way more work then the 5% speed increase we saw in testing. I have no intention to do it again or making any kind of walkthrough because it will just lead to people having issues. I still get messages asking how to make the ahci version run at full speed and everytime i give advice i get "well i dont want to do all those steps what else can i do" or "that sounds too complicated." I am not the first one to make nvme boot work just check out some walkthroughs on how people got it to boot on unsupported desktop boards and custom drivers that plus some time on google will lead anyone who is capable enough to do it themselves. Its totally not worth it the performance is negligible and for our laptops there is no perceivable battery savings. The 950 was supposed to arrive today at the office but fedex cant do their job on a timely basis so i should see it tomorrow and the included driver should theoretically make a win 10 install simple but then again we were all promised a sm951 nvme driver that never appeared.

aeolisio
10-26-2015, 08:08 PM
The 950s boot at best only 80 percent of the time and after spending over a hundred hours on it ,amy of which with samsung on the line i am taking a step back until another driver revision comes out. I suggest other people wait on a 950 purchase unless you like those odds. Even when running it doesnt benchmark as fast as the sm951 in ahci nor is it as stable but that no doubt is also driver related. Windows also has a problem with trim on it. As it stands we cancelled out 950 orders and just ordered more ahci sm951s at the office. Hopefully a few weeks will get a working driver.

minh_83
10-26-2015, 08:21 PM
Hi!

i have samsung sm951 but cant have it boot on my laptop g751jt. i cant even come in bios... the hdd led just blinking and some minute i restart the laptop...

can anyone help or give me some tips or have i miss something? i have the lateste bios install also..

regards.

aeolisio
10-26-2015, 09:41 PM
Do you have the AHCI or NVME version? make sure you installed windows correctly from a usb.
Heres a basic guide for ahci install thats very easy
https://www.ramcity.com.au/blog/how-to-install-windows-8.1-on-the-samsung-xp941-ss/138296
if you mistakenly bought the NVME your sol as i wouldnt walk anyone through that nightmare again.
Look at the stick it should say MZ-HPV if its AHCI if it says MZ-VPV iuts a NVME version

minh_83
10-27-2015, 12:40 AM
Do you have the AHCI or NVME version? make sure you installed windows correctly from a usb.
Heres a basic guide for ahci install thats very easy
https://www.ramcity.com.au/blog/how-to-install-windows-8.1-on-the-samsung-xp941-ss/138296
if you mistakenly bought the NVME your sol as i wouldnt walk anyone through that nightmare again.
Look at the stick it should say MZ-HPV if its AHCI if it says MZ-VPV iuts a NVME version

Hi I have ahci version...

I have seen that video... But not working for me...

Regards

aeolisio
10-27-2015, 04:01 PM
Well you have done something wrong or you have a defective pcie slot. Make sure you remove all other drives when installing and follow the guide exactly. I have done quite a few with never an issue. Perhaps your using an older usb that isnt formatting properly.

minh_83
10-27-2015, 11:44 PM
Well you have done something wrong or you have a defective pcie slot. Make sure you remove all other drives when installing and follow the guide exactly. I have done quite a few with never an issue. Perhaps your using an older usb that isnt formatting properly.

The only thing I haven't tried is that I removed the second hdd when I tried install my sm951 but I use sandisk USB extreme something USB 3.0 drive.. But I will try remove or sent it back and check my pce

warryabel
10-28-2015, 08:07 AM
hi at all!
my os is on ssd sandisk. when i use the ssd toolkit there is a option in german its called auffrischen in english refresh? what does this option mean? refresh the gui/information or the cells on ssd?

styling100
10-30-2015, 11:31 AM

Have you followed the RMA route? Which motivation have you used to open the RMA and to let they replace the motherboard?

aeolisio
10-31-2015, 06:14 PM
Have you followed the RMA route? Which motivation have you used to open the RMA and to let they replace the motherboard?
There is no guarantee a rma will get you a new motherboard if thats what your trying to ask. You can say the pcie is defective but if they test it and find it to be working you will likely just find yourself with a factory reset and without your laptop for weeks.

styling100
10-31-2015, 09:18 PM
There is no guarantee a rma will get you a new motherboard if thats what your trying to ask. You can say the pcie is defective but if they test it and find it to be working you will likely just find yourself with a factory reset and without your laptop for weeks.

I know it, but jinishans has a G751JT without connector for M.2, so he would like to open an RMA hoping that support will replace the motherboard with another that has M.2 connector. But I think that is not possible to open an RMA saying "My G751JT doesn't have M.2connector" so I was asking jinishans which motivation he used to open that RMA..

minh_83
11-05-2015, 08:05 PM
Well I can tell that Samsung new 950 pro is not working on my asus g751jt.. Same problem with the sm951..

aeolisio
11-09-2015, 06:57 AM
Well I can tell that Samsung new 950 pro is not working on my asus g751jt.. Same problem with the sm951..
The 950 has driver issues and the sm951 in Ahci works fine so its youre install or your motherboard.

Arnas
11-10-2015, 05:54 PM
Hi guys, i am going to buy Samsung 850 evo, but i dont remember which is sata 3? 53549 one below ram or the other one? Thanks.

aeolisio
11-11-2015, 03:03 AM
Hi guys, i am going to buy Samsung 850 evo, but i dont remember which is sata 3? 53549 one below ram or the other one? Thanks.
sata 3 is the optical sata one is left sata 2 is right and the pcie is pcie not sata.

Arnas
11-11-2015, 04:57 AM
sata 3 is the optical sata one is left sata 2 is right and the pcie is pcie not sata.

So i need to put ssd on left side to get full speed and hdd below ram right? Bit noob about this, thanks.

aeolisio
11-11-2015, 06:37 PM
So i need to put ssd on left side to get full speed and hdd below ram right? Bit noob about this, thanks.
In most cases yes but in some newer models you could get full speed on either side. To be safe just install on the left side.

Arnas
11-11-2015, 06:49 PM
In most cases yes but in some newer models you could get full speed on either side. To be safe just install on the left side.
Thank you my friend,:) Have a good week mate.

aeolisio
11-11-2015, 06:50 PM
No problem good luck with it.

kenrom
11-29-2015, 10:31 PM
Hey guys so i just bought the G751JY-WH71(WX) from newegg last week that comes with 128gb SSD + 1 TB 7200RPM drives... i went ahead and bought the following SSD:

Samsung 500GB 850 Evo M.2 SSD from here (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1123190-REG/samsung_mz_n5e500bw_850_evo_500gb_m_2.html)

Thing is.... i`m not seeing it in my BIOS at all... :( i spent about 15 minutes in the bios disabling and enabling stuff to see if anything would happen....NOTHING!!!!

also im not seeing this option in me BIOS53874 this is screenshot from a youtube video showcasing the G751JY-DH71

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akjzKO4HfQQ

can someone please help me :(

BobbyDooval
12-02-2015, 03:22 PM
Hi everyone. Newbie Alert- I have just ordered a ASUS G751JT-T7250H. It comes with a 1TB HD and a 128GB SSD. Can I simply swap the 128GB SSD for a Kingston Digital 480GB SSDNow V300 upgrade kit (using the kit included)? Thanks.

SergeantJay
12-04-2015, 04:43 AM
Hey guys so i just bought the G751JY-WH71(WX) from newegg last week that comes with 128gb SSD + 1 TB 7200RPM drives... i went ahead and bought the following SSD:

Samsung 500GB 850 Evo M.2 SSD from here (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1123190-REG/samsung_mz_n5e500bw_850_evo_500gb_m_2.html)

Thing is.... i`m not seeing it in my BIOS at all... :( i spent about 15 minutes in the bios disabling and enabling stuff to see if anything would happen....NOTHING!!!!

also im not seeing this option in me BIOS53874 this is screenshot from a youtube video showcasing the G751JY-DH71

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akjzKO4HfQQ

can someone please help me :(

First, have you updated your bios? Update 206 states it adds a second PCIe SSD
http://www.asus.com/us/Notebooks/ASUS_ROG_G751JY/HelpDesk_Download/

Of course I recommend updating to 211 (the latest)

If you watch the video, you can pause it and get the part number of the installed SSD. It turns out it's a Gen 2 AHCI/PCIe based ssd. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147366

The ssd you bought is a sata based ssd. That could have some thing to do with it. It can get confusing, but there are
nvme/pcie ssd's (newest), Gen 3
ahci/pcie ssd's (middle), Gen 2
or ahci/sata ssd's (older, even though it fits in the same m.2 slot) if I'm not mistaken, all variations can come in the form of a m.2 slot.

motherboards (or bios, or efi) these days are either going to support ahci or nvme or both. If both are available you'd have to set the right one as active from within the bios/efi. (nvme is starting to become more available. nvme is faster than ahci)
the drive itself will be nvme/pcie, ahci/pcie, or ahci/sata based (pcie either way is faster than sata)

I'm not quite sure what motherboards or slots are cross compatible, (as far as the m.2 slot goes) but I'd say it's safe to say that if you bought an ahci/pcie ssd (non sata) it would be compatible. I'm not sure if a Gen 3 nvme/pcie ssd would work or not for this particular pc. My guess is it would not since the motherboard doesn't support nvme.

jbayko
12-11-2015, 06:01 AM
Background
I originally bought a GL752VW but returned it because of all the M.2 incompatibility BS with that model and because I found an attractively priced alternative...
I ordered a G752JT-WH71 - due in about 5 days - with an empty left hard drive bay and an HDD in the right bay.
To fill the left bay, I also ordered a Samsung SM951 PCIe AHCI SSD, which I am going to install myself.
I do not have a purchased licensed copy of Windows. I am relying on the OEM installation of Windows on the ordered laptop.

Assumptions
Based on reading this forum, due to a known problem with Windows / AHCI, various methods of cloning the existing HHD to the new SSD will not work. This problem is so prevalent that it is cited on the AHCI Wikipedia page (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Host_Controller_Interface). Therefore, I need to do a fresh install of Win 10 on the SSD - not clone Win 8.1 to the SSD and upgrade to Win 10. A fresh install will be cleaner anyways, especially considering the need to upgrade Windows.
While Windows 10 media can be downloaded from the MS website, it will not function without a valid Product Key (activation code).
Based on my experience with the prior GL752VW, the OEM installation of Windows 8.1 on the laptop will not have a Product Key injected in the BIOS for retrieval and use.

Question

If I need a Product Key to install and activate Windows 10 and the laptop doesn't include a Product Key, what do I do? I'm hoping someone here has done this before and can tell me that either my assumptions are wrong or it's a simple fix.

The way I see it, one of Microsoft or ASUS will need to help me out here, because if not:

Microsoft is sending a message that Windows does not support upgrading OEM laptops with AHCI complainant hardware, and
ASUS didn't really sell me an upgradable laptop with an OS. They sold me an upgradable laptop without an OS or a laptop with an OS that cannot be upgraded.

Thanks in advance!

aeolisio
12-11-2015, 08:47 AM
Background
I originally bought a GL752VW but returned it because of all the M.2 incompatibility BS with that model and because I found an attractively priced alternative...
I ordered a G752JT-WH71 - due in about 5 days - with an empty left hard drive bay and an HDD in the right bay.
To fill the left bay, I also ordered a Samsung SM951 PCIe AHCI SSD, which I am going to install myself.
I do not have a purchased licensed copy of Windows. I am relying on the OEM installation of Windows on the ordered laptop.

Assumptions
Based on reading this forum, due to a known problem with Windows / AHCI, various methods of cloning the existing HHD to the new SSD will not work. This problem is so prevalent that it is cited on the AHCI Wikipedia page (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Host_Controller_Interface). Therefore, I need to do a fresh install of Win 10 on the SSD - not clone Win 8.1 to the SSD and upgrade to Win 10. A fresh install will be cleaner anyways, especially considering the need to upgrade Windows.
While Windows 10 media can be downloaded from the MS website, it will not function without a valid Product Key (activation code).
Based on my experience with the prior GL752VW, the OEM installation of Windows 8.1 on the laptop will not have a Product Key injected in the BIOS for retrieval and use.

Question

If I need a Product Key to install and activate Windows 10 and the laptop doesn't include a Product Key, what do I do? I'm hoping someone here has done this before and can tell me that either my assumptions are wrong or it's a simple fix.

The way I see it, one of Microsoft or ASUS will need to help me out here, because if not:

Microsoft is sending a message that Windows does not support upgrading OEM laptops with AHCI complainant hardware, and
ASUS didn't really sell me an upgradable laptop with an OS. They sold me an upgradable laptop without an OS or a laptop with an OS that cannot be upgraded.

Thanks in advance!
Let me try to make it simple.
Upgrade your 8.1 to 10 on the original drive. start win 10 and connect to the internet download some updates and verify it.
I actually wrote the first win 10 upgrade guide on here just no one ever stickied it so you can follow what applies to you here
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?72650-How-to-upgrade-to-windows-10-upgrade-and-clean-install-simple-guide
like the command wmic path softwarelicensingservice get OA3xOriginalProductKey.
Once you have upgraded and connected you will be verified for win 10 and when you install the CORRECT edition on a new drive from usb and connect to the internet it will register. You could also use a program to grab your win 10 product key once its installed.

jbayko
12-11-2015, 07:01 PM
Upgrade your 8.1 to 10 on the original drive. start win 10 and connect to the internet download some updates and verify it.
I actually wrote the first win 10 upgrade guide on here just no one ever stickied it so you can follow what applies to you here
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?72650-How-to-upgrade-to-windows-10-upgrade-and-clean-install-simple-guide
Once you have upgraded and connected you will be verified for win 10 and when you install the CORRECT edition on a new drive from usb and connect to the internet it will register. You could also use a program to grab your win 10 product key once its installed.

Awesome...thank you for the quick reply! Hopefully this goes pretty smoothly.

kenrom
12-15-2015, 01:02 AM
First, have you updated your bios? Update 206 states it adds a second PCIe SSD
http://www.asus.com/us/Notebooks/ASUS_ROG_G751JY/HelpDesk_Download/

Of course I recommend updating to 211 (the latest)

If you watch the video, you can pause it and get the part number of the installed SSD. It turns out it's a Gen 2 AHCI/PCIe based ssd. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147366

The ssd you bought is a sata based ssd. That could have some thing to do with it. It can get confusing, but there are
nvme/pcie ssd's (newest), Gen 3
ahci/pcie ssd's (middle), Gen 2
or ahci/sata ssd's (older, even though it fits in the same m.2 slot) if I'm not mistaken, all variations can come in the form of a m.2 slot.

motherboards (or bios, or efi) these days are either going to support ahci or nvme or both. If both are available you'd have to set the right one as active from within the bios/efi. (nvme is starting to become more available. nvme is faster than ahci)
the drive itself will be nvme/pcie, ahci/pcie, or ahci/sata based (pcie either way is faster than sata)

I'm not quite sure what motherboards or slots are cross compatible, (as far as the m.2 slot goes) but I'd say it's safe to say that if you bought an ahci/pcie ssd (non sata) it would be compatible. I'm not sure if a Gen 3 nvme/pcie ssd would work or not for this particular pc. My guess is it would not since the motherboard doesn't support nvme.

Thank you very much for the info

jbayko
12-17-2015, 08:32 AM

Okay, so the laptop unexpectedly came with Win 10 installed, not Win 8.1. I think Win 8.1 was on a different build I was considering ordering :(

Now I'm not sure what to do anymore, since I cannot take the simple approach you suggested of upgrading from Windows 8.1 to 10. Any suggestions?

Jon G
01-10-2016, 12:59 AM
Any one with the G751JY notebook that has the OEM Samsung XP941 AHCI PCIe x4 lanes M.2 SSD & wants to upgrade their system to the faster OEM Samsung SM951 AHCI PCIe x4 lanes M.2 SSD you will have to swap out drives (install SM951 into PCIe x4 lanes M.2 SSD slot first and do a usb flash clean install of either Windows 8.1 or Windows 10, then install ASUS G751JY notebook drivers in order to successfully upgrade your G751JY's XP941 PCIe x4 lanes AHCI M.2 Gen 2 SSD to the SM951 PCIe x4 lanes AHCI M.2 Gen 3 SSD.
I unsuccessfully tried to clone contents of my 256GB Samsung XP941 AHCI PCIe x4 lanes OS SSD to a new 512GB OEM Samsung SM951 AHCI PCIe x4 lanes M.2 SSD via a BPlus U3M2M external PCIe x4 lanes M.2 SSD to USB 3.0 Adapter/enclosure using paid version of EaseUs Todo Backup Home 9.0 ( recommended on the Ramcity website with instructions on how to clone contents of your system drive to an OEM Samsung XP941 AHCI PCIe x4 lanes M.2 SSD ) and the clone failed at 9 - 20 minutes into it 3 times in a row. I have the latest BIOS 211 on my G751JY notebook using Windows 8.1 OS and wanted to keep my steam games, etc. from the D: Data partition on the 256GB Samsung XP941 SSD & simply clone it all over to the new 512GB OEM Samsung SM951 SSD but no luck! The new 512GB OEM Samsung SM951 AHCI SSD was even correctly initialized & GPT formatted prior to the failed clone. Perhaps the clone would work to another Gen 2 Samsung XP941 PCIe M.2 AHCI SSD but not to a Gen 3 Samsung SM951 PCIe M.2 AHCI SSD.
I had to remove the 256GB Samsung XP941 OS SSD first, then install the new 512GB Samsung SM951 SSD, boot notebook to UEFI Windows 10 64-bit usb flash and clean install Windows, then I installed ASUS G751JY notebook drivers to SM951 to successfully upgrade G751JY M.2 SSD & get it all working.

kidfromhell
02-25-2016, 09:40 PM
Hey guys, I recently upgraded from 750JX to the 751JY-DB71. I bought it off from Amazon and I was surprised to see that it had SM951 256GB installed by default with the regular 1 TB drive. I searched everywhere and I was told that the 751JY comes with a XP941 and I got to see nobody getting a SM951 by default. Is that I'm the only one who got that or did ASUS started using them at the last batch before they moved to the G752 series?

Joeypogs
04-02-2016, 03:50 AM
Hi man. I have the g751jy version with the samsung xp941 256gb m.2 ssd installed. I'd really like to populate my extra 2.5inch ssd connector in the same bay as this m.2, What do you suggest a compatible drive to use? preferrably highest capacity. That sandisk ssd you used there what kind of model is that and what's the storage? thanks man!

Jon G
04-02-2016, 07:51 AM
Hi Joeypogs,
I haven't populated the drive bay 1 w/ an SSD (removed from its' case) connected to
SATA3 Adapter in G751JYs' drive bay 1 (left bay) where my
512GB OEM Samsung SM951 PCIe 3.0 AHCI M.2 OS SSD is also. I ran a 5" SATA 3 Extension
Cable from Drive bay 1 SATA3 Adapter fed under SATA Bridge to the
1TB Samsung 850 Pro Storage SSD in my drive bay 2 to ensure it runs at SATA 3 6GB/s.
I've seen somewhere on this forum (a while back) where someone managed to squeeze a
1TB Samsung 850 EVO removed from its' case into that drive bay 1 slot along w/ their
PCIe AHCI M.2 SSD. I can't find the thread though and not 100% sure a 1TB 2.5" SATA 3 SSD
removed from its' case would fit in drive bay 1 along w/ the PCIe M.2 SSD?
However, in aeolisio's G751- M.2 bracket 3d printed and heatsinked thread on page 3
he has pictures of his G751JYs' 500GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD (removed from its' case)
connected to the drive bay 1 SATA 3 Adapter along w/ his 256GB OEM Samsung SM951
PCIe 3.0 AHCI M.2 OS SSD inside one of his 3d printed M.2 brackets. So for sure, you
can fit at least a 512GB SATA 3 SSD in there (removed from its' case) along w/ the
PCIe M.2 SSD.
For pictures go to:
rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?1609-G751-M-2-bracket-3d-printed-and-heatsinked/page3&highlight
=aeolisio
or type aeolisio in the search and find thread; G751 M.2 bracket 3d printed and heatsinked on page 3.

As far as SATA 3 SSD's go, any brand will work, depends on your budget and whether you're looking
for a higher priced, performance SSD or a lower performance, economy SSD? Go to Anandtech.com and/or
Tomshardwarereview.com. Both sites list 2016 Best SSD's for the money and offer numerous SATA 3 SSD
reviews of all major brand SSDs' along w/ SSD performance charts.
Also note that once you remove the case from any Manufacturers' 2.5" SATA 3 SSD you void any limited
warranty it came with.

iwantspeed
05-14-2016, 02:51 AM
Hello i have an asus g751jy with bios version of 2.11 and a pcie slot installed. i'm confused after reading multiple threads will a 950pro work or not as a boot drive?

Jon G
05-14-2016, 07:03 AM
Hi iwantspeed,
The G751JY only works with PCIe Gen 2 & Gen 3 (AHCI) M.2 SSDs' not the newer PCIe Gen 3 (NVMe) M.2 SSDs'.
The best available PCIe Gen 3 (AHCI) M.2 SSD for booting the G751JY is the 512GB/256GB OEM Samsung SM951
PCIe Gen 3 (AHCI) M.2 SSD. Unfortunately, the retail Samsung 950 Pro SSD is PCIe Gen 3 (NVMe) M.2 SSD and
PCIe Gen 3 NVMe M.2 SSDs' are unsupported by the latest G751JY AS211 BIOS.

Blackwind
05-27-2016, 03:49 PM
Hi iwantspeed,
The G751JY only works with PCIe Gen 2 & Gen 3 (AHCI) M.2 SSDs' not the newer PCIe Gen 3 (NVMe) M.2 SSDs'.
The best available PCIe Gen 3 (AHCI) M.2 SSD for booting the G751JY is the 512GB/256GB OEM Samsung SM951
PCIe Gen 3 (AHCI) M.2 SSD. Unfortunately, the retail Samsung 950 Pro SSD is PCIe Gen 3 (NVMe) M.2 SSD and

BAH was considering a purchase of a NVMe and that answers my questions. Thanks and glad I read this.

iwantspeed
07-12-2016, 12:14 PM
Hi iwantspeed,

I need to replace the drives in my g751jy i have already upgraded to windows 10 without making a recovery disc with backtracker am i boned?

styling100
07-22-2016, 08:12 AM
I followed the procedures described here (http://www.win-raid.com/t871f16-Guide-How-to-get-full-NVMe-support-for-Intel-Chipset-systems-from-Series-up.html) in the first post and in the winyl's post (starting from a backup of the original BIOS, I deleted Mtftpd6d, added NvmeExpressDxE and flashed with afuwinx64) and now the SM951 512gb NVME (MZVPV512HDGL) in my G751JY boots without any problem in few seconds! ;)

Jon G
07-27-2016, 08:22 PM
I followed the procedures described here (http://www.win-raid.com/t871f16-Guide-How-to-get-full-NVMe-support-for-Intel-Chipset-systems-from-Series-up.html) in the first post and in the winyl's post (starting from a backup of the original BIOS, I deleted Mtftpd6d, added NvmeExpressDxE and flashed with afuwinx64) and now the SM951 512gb NVME (MZVPV512HDGL) in my G751JY boots without any problem in few seconds! ;)

It would be nice if ASUS provided owners of the G751JY notebooks a BIOS update which supports booting to PCIe 3.0 NVMe M.2 SSD. This is the one
thing that dead ends owners of the G751JY from upgrading to the newer, larger capacity, faster PCIe 3.0 NVMe M.2 SSDs'. It would also be helpful
if in the new BIOS update ASUS fixed the low PCIe 3.0 AHCI M.2 SSD sequential READ of 1600 MB/s (not even close to rated 2150 MB/s) most
G751JYs' can only get.

alexgontijo
07-30-2016, 05:50 AM
Hi guys!!!

My first post in the Forum! :cool:

I purchased a used G751JY-T7159H in Germany, it is the model with 4720HQ, 256GB SSD, 16GB RAM, GTX 980M 4GB.

But in the deal the old owner wanted to delete all his data, and he deleted all the partitions too. So I lost the hidden 15 GB backup partition and had to install from zero. I'm using the latest BIOS 211, and I couldn't boot from USB to install Windows 10 in a UEFI. It doesn't show on the options, only the SSD, but without system, it boots straight to the BIOS every time.

So I had to change do legacy and install in the old BIOS way (I could choose all the options (USB, Bluray, etc) which are unavailable in UEFI mode). But the boot time takes 5 times more... I want the UEFI back!

Can anyone help me cloning the 256 GB SDD and uploading in my Cloud Storage?

My plan is to clone back someones partitions scheme, with GPT mode, change the BIOS, than boot in UEFI and then perform a clean restore. Sounds good?

If anyone has a better idea I would love to hear.

Thank you very much!

Alex

alexgontijo
08-03-2016, 12:35 AM
Hi again guys!

I have managed to install the right way and now I got the UEFI boot again! No need for this crazy and large operation! Lol!

Regards,

Alex

TheKnight
11-13-2016, 10:17 AM
Hello guys. I'm not entirely sure if this is the right place to post my questions but long story short I want to swap out my HDD for an SSD but I don't know if it's compatible or not. If you're interested here's the link to my post * * *https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?88800-G751JY-T7132H-Questions-about-swapping-HDD-for-an-SSD&p=616401#post616401 *I would highly appreciate it if you could check it out and give me your feedback. I'd prefer you replying on my post directly but here is good as well. Thank you for your time.

Jupes
12-08-2016, 03:09 PM
I've been looking for a Samsung SM951 512GB AHCI SSD, but they are getting difficult to locate and the prices are getting out of hand. Are there any other options that might work? I would REALLY like a 1TB SSD, but would be happy just to find a good 512GB SSD at this point. This is to replace the 256GB SSD in the left-drive of a G751JY.

Thank you,

J

Jon G
12-10-2016, 07:52 AM
I've been looking for a Samsung SM951 512GB AHCI SSD, but they are getting difficult to locate and the prices are getting out of hand. Are there any other options that might work? I would REALLY like a 1TB SSD, but would be happy just to find a good 512GB SSD at this point. This is to replace the 256GB SSD in the left-drive of a G751JY.

Thank you,

J

Out of curiosity I recently browsed a few retailers to look at the prices for the 512GB OEM Samsung SM951 PCIe AHCI M.2 SSD and like you state, they're getting harder to find, and the few that are for sale are now over $700 US which is nearly double what I paid for mine Dec. 31, 2015.
Luckily I bought it when I did and upgraded my G751JYs original 256GB XP941 to the faster, larger capacity 512GB SM951PCIe AHCI M.2 SSD for only $365 US on Amazon US website via Platinum Micro. 7-8 months ago they were selling for around $329 US. What a difference a year makes, now Samsung is only producing the latest PCIe NVMe M.2 SSDs for OEMs & Retail market & no longer producing M.2 AHCI SSDs for OEMs
(PCIe AHCI M.2 SSDs are end of life - legacy hardware, no SSD manufacturers produce them any longer).
I found only 1 512GB OEM Samsung SM951 PCIe AHCI M.2 SSD on amazon.com US currently selling for $711 US (plus $4.60 shipping US only). The seller is Electronics World & they list only 1 in stock. Our G751JYs only support two OEM Samsung PCIe AHCI M.2 SSDs, the gen 2 OEM Samsung XP941(supported by all ASUS G751JY BIOS AS202 - AS211) & the gen 3 OEM Samsung SM951 (AHCI version only & provided you have ASUS G751JY BIOS AS206-AS211) as you already know. No other PCIe M.2 SSD brand or models are supported with our G751JY notebooks. If you're not planning on upgrading to a newer model, expensive, high end gaming/mobile desktop replacement notebook for another 2 years or longer and don't mind spending the $711 US, I'd go ahead and buy it if I were you. In a few more months they'll probably no longer be available for sale anywhere. Samsung will not be producing them for OEMs ever again. Our only other option is to bite the big one, spend thousands and upgrade to a brand new notebook that uses the upgradable PCIe NVMe M.2 SSDs. Then we can buy the newest, fastest, larger capacity, retail PCIe NVMe M.2 SSDs like the Samsung 960 Pro NVMe M.2 SSD 512GB $339 US/ 1TB $629 /2TB $1299 US or cheaper Samsung 960 Evo NVMe M.2 SSD or the higher priced, slower performing OCZ (Toshiba) RD400 NVMe M.2 SSD 512GB $279.99 / 1TB $704.99 on amazon.
It's all about supply & demand and since we're stuck w/ only 2 OEM Samsung PCIe AHCI M.2 SSDs supported by our G751JYs that are no longer in production we're screwed! This is why I was hoping ASUS would provide owners of G751JY notebooks one last BIOS update w/ support for M.2 NVMe SSDs. I'm not sure if M.2 NVMe is supported by our G751JYs legacy Intel Broadwell CPUs & our legacy Intel HM87 express chipset on our mainboards, which is probably why ASUS hasn't provided owners of the G751JY notebooks a BIOS supporting M.2 NVMe SSDs? Lack of M.2 NVMe SSD support is one of the few things about the awesome ASUS ROG G751JY notebooks other than the drive bay 2 SATA 2 adapter that is too bad for us.

Svan
01-11-2017, 01:28 PM
Hi Jon G,

Go check here : Win-Raid Forum (http://www.win-raid.com/t871f16-Guide-How-to-get-full-NVMe-support-for-Intel-Chipset-systems-from-Series-up.html)

Check in that post the "Clover-EFI Bootloader Method" too. That one doesn't require flashing bios.

Just found this post too : G751JY-NVME-Support-950PRO (https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?82037-G751JY-NVME-Support-950PRO)

I asked @Linux86 to share the bios with me. If it's really working will be able to use SM951 NVMe and SM961 NVMe (Will have to find out if this model can be used at full speed) . Will link on this post if i got the bios.

SM951 (512GB) : Max sequential (MB/s) Read 2150 - Write 1500
SM961 (512GB) : Max sequential (MB/s) Read 3200 - Write 1700

Cheers.

bmbk2017
07-01-2017, 03:45 PM
not sure if anyone still in this topic, but i managed to install MZVPV256HDGL in my Asus G751JT. Followed the Win Raid method.

Reading 1700 MBPS / Writing 1300 MBPS.

Pretty interesting mod.

kaufen
10-17-2017, 10:20 AM
Can I simply swap the 128GB SSD for a Kingston Digital 480GB SSDNow V300 upgrade kit (using the kit included)? Thanks.

chris_tronic
01-29-2018, 10:25 PM
Hello, I'm Christian from Germany. I have some good News for all ASUS G751 owners , that want to run a NVMe SSD on the M.2 Socket (must be built in already)
Recently there was an Ebay Offer for a SM951 512GB NVMe PCIe SSD. I couldnt resist and bought it.
Before, I already have a SM951 AHCI 512 GB HDGL-0001L (from Lenovo) which was running quiet good on my Win7.
But unfortunately it runs only 1500 Read / 1200 Write (Specs are 2200 read/1500 write). I found out after some research, that the Lenovo SM951 has an inbuild limitation. Thats why I bought the SM951 512GB NVMe.
And than the big hassle started..
The new SM951 NVMe wasnt recognized by the BIOS. So I upgraded to BiosVer 211. Same Situation. No SSD recognized.
Than i was reading about Implementing a DXE Driver Modul in Fernandos WinRaid Forum.
I injected the DXE Driver in my BIOS and now my new NVMe SSD is recognized by the BIOS and is bootable as well.

The hole BIOS upgrade is really simple, as long as you know what your doing.
I will make a step by step Guide for the implementation in the coming days.
Its really very simple, but it costs me some time to find out.

After this I cloned my Win7 from the old AHCI SSD to the new NVMe SSD.
Next Problem --> Bluescreen Fail 0000000x7B . Win7 doesnt provide any NVMe Drivers nativly.
The clue is: Before Cloning, you must install a NVMe Controller Driver by Hand on the old Win7 running System . After installing the Driver
you clone the System to your NVMe SSD and start. Voila--> Win7 running on SM951 512Gb NVMe

And now after all: I realised I have the HM87 PCH that only provides PCIe Port 5 in Gen 2. --> no 2200 read :(
The card itself does... but the Controller not... what the ****....
Now I have same situation like before.. Maybe someone of you found out how to get the Controller (Lynx PCH Port 5 ) working in Gen 3.
Answers appriciated.
Now have speeds on the SM951 NVMe (1660 read / 1200 write) ... same like before:(:(

chris_tronic
02-12-2018, 09:03 PM
I made a quick simple guide , how to upgrade your BIOS for NVMe Support. You really dont need to be afraid. My NVMe Drive works without problems,
once the BIOS is upgraded.
So there is not much profit in speed, because the HM87 Chipset can only support PCIe x4 Gen2 .. you will stay at 1600 MB/s read and 1400 MB/s write, but you dont need to pay a crazy amount of mony for buying a AHCI compliant PCIe SSD, that is even slower and older.
Be smart and make BIOS Mod (update). If you have any questions, feel free to contect me ...
Have fun:

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?99677-ASUS-G751-JY-BIOS-211-NVMe-Upgrade-Guide-Step-by-Step&highlight=asus+g751+nvme

Christian K.