PDA

View Full Version : G750JZ - Where can I find my missing 2nd HDD caddy?

Shurigan
10-17-2014, 07:37 PM
Hi guys,

I recently bought a G750JZ with just one hdd, which I planned to upgrade on my own with an SSD, bought separately.

It has been a pleasure discovering that here in Italy Asus doesn't equip G750s with a second free caddy for an additional HDD.
It has been even better when they told me that the only way to have it from them is to buy it in bundle with an HDD.

It's incredible that they treat this way a customer which have bought one of their more expensive products for a piece of metal worth 15€... above all because in every other country probably I would have received it from the beginning or at least I could have bought it without having to pay also for an HDD which I don't need.

So, now I have to find it in another way, since I am not going to spend my money on such a stupid customer policy, that's for sure.

1- left and right caddies are equal, is it correct? Something I read on the internet put this doubt in my head. Also, JZ has the same caddy as JM, JS etc. etc.?

2- Do you know an e-shop or something else in Europe where I can buy it? I would avoid buying it from US if possible.

3- Is there any of you here in Europe which has an unused caddy and is willing to sell it? That would be a good deed. :D

4- My last resort would be... can't I make it on my own? Come on, it's just a piece of metal! What do you think?

hmscott
10-17-2014, 09:21 PM
Shurigan, I have had to do without a caddy before, and I was able to plug in the disk and put a piece of soft compressible foam between the top of the drive and the plastic cover. Make it thin - at least not wide - you don't want to cover the disk in foam as it will hold the heat in. I got a piece slightly longer than the disk to tuck under the end - it was thin foam - as the distance between the disk top and the plastic cover is small.

You should be able to order a caddy from many places in Europe, hopefully someone with experience ordering in Europe will respond :)

Prostar Computer
10-17-2014, 11:00 PM
1. Yes, they're "universal" in that sense.

2. Not specifically, no. Your best bet may be independent sellers on eBay or the like.

3. :(

4. Dream big! You have one to base your own design on, at least.

Shurigan
10-17-2014, 11:47 PM
Thanks to both of you. :D

Probably I made a step forward.
Can you confirm me that this is the G750's caddy?
http://us.estore.asus.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=3018
It should be the same that hmscott already linked to me in another topic, but I cannot check because that link doesn't work anymore.

It was impossible to find on other shops, but then I noticed that it has attached a code called "SKU code" and looking for that I have been able to find it.
However, the lowest price that I got in Europe is approximately 36 dollars (shipment included)... not so fair considering the item. So, I'm still unsure whether to try to make it. My gf is an architect, she would design it on CAD in 2 minutes and with that file the lab where she usually cuts woods and other stuff for her scale models should be able to make it very easily. A drill would conclude the work. :D
I think that if this would cost few euros I will try it just for fun. :D

hmscott
10-18-2014, 12:07 AM
Thanks to both of you. :D

Probably I made a step forward.
Can you confirm me that this is the G750's caddy?
http://us.estore.asus.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=3018
It should be the same that hmscott already linked to me in another topic, but I cannot check because that link doesn't work anymore.

It was impossible to find on other shops, but then I noticed that it has attached a code called "SKU code" and looking for that I have been able to find it.
However, the lowest price that I got in Europe is approximately 36 dollars (shipment included)... not so fair considering the item. So, I'm still unsure whether to try to make it. My gf is an architect, she would design it on CAD in 2 minutes and with that file the lab where she usually cuts woods and other stuff for her scale models should be able to make it very easily. A drill would conclude the work. :D
I think that if this would cost few euros I will try it just for fun. :D

Shurigan, for metal work it is a very labor intensive job for small quantities, and expensive tool-wise for large quantities. $22.50 represents mass quantity price. $36 represents small batch price. Either as a small batch purchase from the large mass manufacturer or a small batch build of their own design.

Think of it as a minimalist solution. You are trying to mate 4 points on the laptop with 4 points on the harddisk. You can do that with 1 large piece, 4 smaller angle brackets, or 2 pieces that span the disk from side to side, all to attach to the harddisk so that when it plugs in to the bay SATA connector the bracket ends rest on and over the holes provided in the Bay to secure the harddisk.

4x a single L bracket of the correct size and with the correct hole dimensions should do nicely.

If you do end up building it from scratch, please share the final template, model / cnc / 3D printing instruction files to recreate the brackets.

Have fun :)

toutou57
10-18-2014, 11:20 AM
Hi,

I went to HDD Caddy to get mine for a second storage for my G550: very quality, easy to fit and specific for many G5&G7 series.