PDA

View Full Version : Questions about G750JM purchase! (SSD model/manufacturer and others)

trimito
10-18-2014, 02:51 PM
Hi All!

First post here, but I really like these forums based on what I've read so far, good quality threads. Keep up the good work! :)

So, I'm actually looking for a notebook (doing programming, some VMs, games from time to time), looked over some MacBooks, but in the end I found one good one:
ASUS 17.3 'G750JM-T4117D, FHD Processor 2.5GHz Intel Core i7-4710HQ Haswell, 16GB, 1TB + 256GB SSD, GeForce GTX 860m 2GB, Black

Full specs (translated from Romanian): http://bit.ly/106VwMT

I do have a couple of questions, which I hope I could get an answer:

1) Does anyone have any details on who makes the SSDs? And what model/inteface?
2) Does the SSD use one of the two HDD slots or it's placed into the M2 SATA port?
3) Is the GPU "problematic" with the Optimus thing? I don't play games (too much) but it's good to know before-hand, just in case I found a better notebook.
4) I saw that the new G751 series will (or did they already?) be on the market. Does it make sense to wait for them or not? Again, I'm not that interested into the graphics performance (at all - the on-board one would be just fine IIRC).

Thanks a lot!

Darnassus
10-18-2014, 03:06 PM
The SSD is Liteonit 240GB+ The model number is LCS-256M6S

Yes. Slot 0. There is no MSata slots on the motherboard.

You can tune through the NVIDIA CONTROL PANEL of what you want the card to run on exclusively by making profiles. Would take 5-10 minutes of your time then it's done.

I would wait for the 751, only because I'm a total gamer, in your case, the JM should be fine.

The G751 cards, featuring the 900m's apparently excel so far, they're nearly comparable to their desktop counterparts. That's if you want real power, of course.

Arnas
10-19-2014, 09:12 AM
Hi mates, I want to buy g750jm so badly, but I heard so bad things about this laptop:(. Are that power state failure is solved? How about cpus reaching 100c and those vertical lines and other screen problems? Optimus is also evil! Why Nvidia dont give a option to disable it completely? They definitely heard our opinions, but nothing was done. Optimus is a trash for now!!! Those great laptops are built for power and not for battery life. Yes on paper it is great, but in reality it have a lot of issues. Please answer those questions ☺. Thanks.

hmscott
10-19-2014, 10:18 AM
Hi mates, I want to buy g750jm so badly, but I heard so bad things about this laptop:(. Are that power state failure is solved? How about cpus reaching 100c and those vertical lines and other screen problems? Optimus is also evil! Why Nvidia dont give a option to disable it completely? They definitely heard our opinions, but nothing was done. Optimus is a trash for now!!! Those great laptops are built for power and not for battery life. Yes on paper it is great, but in reality it have a lot of issues. Please answer those questions ☺. Thanks.

Arnas, Asus just released a new line of G751 laptops, without Optimus :)

The G751JM might be a better choice for you, check it out.
http://www.asus.com/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/ASUS_ROG_G751JM/

New forums, for G751 =>> G771, G751, G551 and GX550 Gaming Notebooks
http://rog.asus.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?198-G771-G751-G551-and-GX550-Gaming-Notebooks

Arnas
10-21-2014, 04:33 AM
Heya, I buy g751jm, but in my country those laptops showing ony 2015 1st quarter. Retailers said that. Sorry for my not perfect English☺.

hmscott
10-21-2014, 07:06 AM
Heya, I buy g751jm, but in my country those laptops showing ony 2015 1st quarter. Retailers said that. Sorry for my not perfect English☺.

Arnas, do you have something else to use between now and the G751 release in your country? It is so close, it might be worth waiting, especially if you are concerned about G750JM before you even buy it...

Arnas
10-21-2014, 09:53 AM
Yeah I have, maybe I can realy wait☺. New design, new ips display and no optimus. I'ts gonna be worth it.