PDA

View Full Version : Notes before buying G751 series

_
10-20-2014, 03:25 AM
Somethings to look out for in addition to our upgrade guide (published on Weds 22nd Oct):

> When buying an SSD model, take note that it's SATA or PCIE. PCIE is 2x faster than SATA. Only models with M.2 pre-fitted will be supported with an M.2 bracket. We will not provide upgrade support for models purchased without M.2 initially sorry.

> M.2 slot supports up to PCI-E 4x cards (like XP941)

> Only one of the drive bays has an optional M.2 slot. Both have SATA ports. You cannot run 2x 2.5" SSD + M.2 for example, but you can run 2x 2.5 inch or 1x 2.5 inch + 1x M.2. (The G771 can run 2x 2.5" + M.2 however!)

> The left drive bay (when flipped over) with both M.2 + SATA ports is the primary.

> Optical drive is held in by a single screw and uses a standard mobile SATA port.

> Remember to buy DDR3L (1.35V memory) when upgrading.

> You only have access to two SO-DIMM slots, so if you want to max out your memory (32GB) you have to buy a 16GB model to start with.

> You do not have access to the WiFi module.

> GTX 860M model is the only one with touchscreen.

> All models use IPS Full HD displays. 120/144Hz displays are supported over HDMI/DP (VG248Q for example).

> Four display outputs can all be used at once: laptop display + HDMI, DP and d-sub together.

> Each suffix-SKU (-DS/-CH/etc) spec is decided by country/retailer, not ASUS - please contact them, rather than ASUS, to confirm specific spec details. "what memory?" "what SSD?" etc

Arnas
10-20-2014, 10:04 AM
Is g751jm cost same as g750jm or more? Touchscreen is present on all g751jm models? or it is touch and mate? For me touchscreen is win, because it is glosy! Even the best matte display wont be anywhere near the quality of average glossy display. Thank you for answers☺

Richdog
10-20-2014, 01:29 PM
Guys, can someone please confirm that changing the hard drive yourself does NOT result in a voided warranty? itr is a suer-replaceable part so I would hope that this was not the case, and that we are free to upgrade it whenever we choose?

BRSxIgnition
10-20-2014, 06:24 PM
Is the Optical drive in the G751 a 12.7mm or 9.5mm drive?

I plan on buying a hard drive caddy for the optical drive, since I hardly ever use DVDs.

What size do I need to get for my future G751?

_
10-21-2014, 05:47 AM
Guys, can someone please confirm that changing the hard drive yourself does NOT result in a voided warranty? itr is a suer-replaceable part so I would hope that this was not the case, and that we are free to upgrade it whenever we choose?

It does not result in voided warranty. It is in the user serviceable area.

_
10-21-2014, 05:48 AM
Is the Optical drive in the G751 a 12.7mm or 9.5mm drive?

I plan on buying a hard drive caddy for the optical drive, since I hardly ever use DVDs.

What size do I need to get for my future G751?

Richdog
10-21-2014, 09:19 AM
Hi Marshall,

Thanks for the rpely, much appreciated! Another question(s):

1) Does the following modle of G751 have an SSD also, or is it literally just a 1TB drive?
2) What type of SSD slot does it have, SATA or PCI-E?

ASUS Notebook 17.3" G751JY-T7018H http://www.microspot.ch/msp/product/notebooks/0000925744/asus-notebook-17.3-g751jy-t7018h/detail.jsf

Cheers,

Rich.

_
10-22-2014, 08:15 AM
1) Please contact the retailer. It looks like just a 1TB HDD.
2) Every model has both sockets, but unless it comes with a PCIE M.2 SSD you won't a get PCIE M.2 bracket. Please confirm with the retailer direct if it comes with a second HDD bracket inside for a SATA SSD also if it only ships with 1 drive.

Vicerox
10-23-2014, 12:18 AM
Will there be a model that has a replaceable battery?

http://rog.asus.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/g751-upgrade-guide-batt.jpg

The integrated battery, seems like a poor decision.

_
10-23-2014, 01:54 AM
Integrated batteries are increasingly the norm for notebooks due to modern design constraints, and the fact that we find few people come to us to buy replacements outside of business contracts, AND there are a lot of poorly made 3rd party ones that can damage the product.

The G771 series has a removable battery if you really must have one.

th3d0ctor
10-23-2014, 06:50 AM
Hi ! I've got a few questions regarding the battery . Let's say the battery is drained . I plug it to AC and it will keep charging until it reaches 100% . But what happens after that ? The laptop's going to keep running on AC ? When's the next charge going to start ? We all know batteries drain after a while if not used . Is the laptop going to keep the battery in a 99% - 100% discharge-charge cycle ? Or is it possible to manually set a percentage at which the recharge occurs ? Also , in the case of a 100% charged laptop , plugged to AC , is it possible for the laptop to use the battery during AC usage ?

Vicerox
10-23-2014, 04:44 PM
I do not believe, I've seen any replicas of the ROG laptop batteries. Besides, if the battery dies within 2 years the G751 machine is finished. Not a great investment.

Unfortunately, the G771 sacrifices the entire design/specs of the G751 to provide a replacement battery.

Everything from the reliable ROG touch pad, to the heating system and GPU options are gone in the G771.

I wish ASUS ROG would consider a release of a 15 inch model (with a replacement battery), based on the G751 design. :(

I intend to upgrade from a G55VW and this is a hard pill to swallow.

Sharobious
10-24-2014, 07:13 AM
Somethings to look out for in addition to our upgrade guide (published on Weds 22nd Oct):

> When buying an SSD model, take note that it's SATA or PCIE. PCIE is 2x faster than SATA. Only models with M.2 pre-fitted will be supported with an M.2 bracket. We will not provide upgrade support for models purchased without M.2 initially sorry.

...So "Upgrade support" = an M.2 bracket? Meaning I either have to purchase the $2500-3000 version for a bracket or rig something up? Is that a joke? When will "Support" be available for me to safely utilize a feature that comes with the laptop? They did the same B.S. with older models as well. If Asus wanted to penny pinch or get a little extra cash from consumers; fine, but to not have it available at all for an undetermined amount of time is pathetic.

Richdog
10-24-2014, 07:59 AM
...So "Upgrade support" = an M.2 bracket? Meaning I either have to purchase the $2500-3000 version for a bracket or rig something up? Is that a joke? When will "Support" be available for me to safely utilize a feature that comes with the laptop? They did the same B.S. with older models as well. If Asus wanted to penny pinch or get a little extra cash from consumers; fine, but to not have it available at all for an undetermined amount of time is pathetic.

That is really poor service. :(

Dr. Tyrell
10-24-2014, 09:05 PM

+1 , it's just silly.

tului
11-03-2014, 01:43 PM

Surely some will turn up on ebay.

mscoms
11-03-2014, 08:28 PM
Do you have Any of ASUS N751 G751 OR G771 With FHD IPS Glossy Screen
Because I really hate matte display AND I will be forced to buy LENOVO Y70

MHaensel
11-05-2014, 03:02 AM
The Best Buy G751JM touch-screen (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-17-3-touch-screen-laptop-intel-core-i7-8gb-memory-1tb-hard-drive-black-silver/8618931.p?id=1219357513890&skuId=8618931) model is rumored to have a glossy display. You might call them to confirm, or check in person if there's a BB near you.

ndrelim
11-14-2014, 11:39 AM
Hello Sir,

I purchased g751jt, but it comes with dvd drive. is there any possibility for me to upgrade it to blu-ray in the future ?
Thankyou

Mublur
11-15-2014, 04:12 PM
There is no information regarding compatible memory types for the G751 on Kingston's website. Does anyone know if KVR16LS11/8 is compatible (it is 1,35v)?

Also Corsair memory finder lacks G751JY and the entire G751 series.

Also, since only 2 ram slots are directly accessible, how hard is it to tear down the laptop in order to change dimms in the lower slots?

Mublur
11-15-2014, 04:57 PM
That video had no information regarding compatible ddr3l sodimms NOR information on the bottom dimm slots

Of course everyone knows how to upgrade the slots on the bottom, they are on just about any ROG model behind the same kind of panel and besides the instructions are found on the manual as well

I am just wondering, how can asus sell a g751 model with "3 free slots" up to 32 gigs with only 8 populated, if you are only allowed to access the 2 slots under the cover without voiding your warranty. how can anyone ever upgrade to 32 if disassembling all the exterior and lifting up the keyboard voids the warranty?

This complaint applies to for example ASUS G751JY 17,3"FHD 4710HQ/GTX980/8/1000/W8.1, ASUS G751JT 17,3"FHD 4710HQ/GTX970/8/256SSD+1000/W8.1 and ASUS G750JZ 17,3"FHD 4710HQ/GTX880M/8/750+8SSD/BT/W8.1

Mublur
11-15-2014, 05:23 PM
lol, perhaps you should refrain from answering unless you have some *information* regarding my questions? of course i have browsed through the videos where they tear the thing down showing how you can access the ram sticks under the keyboard.

i own a g75vw and have been very happy with it. you don't have to get butthurt because i'm asking a completely justified question: how does asus expect me to add 3x8gb of ram to a g751 model which has 4 slots of which just ONE has a 8 gig stick without voiding the warranty?

if i wanted an overpriced slab of aluminium from apple, why would i be here?

QC_AGENT
11-16-2014, 01:53 PM
I don't get the whole problem about the RAM. My understanding was that the computer already has 3 x 8 Gb and a slot available. So you just add 1 x 8 Gb to reach 32. Whats the big controversy?

Mublur
11-16-2014, 02:43 PM
I don't get the whole problem about the RAM. My understanding was that the computer already has 3 x 8 Gb and a slot available. So you just add 1 x 8 Gb to reach 32. Whats the big controversy?

Well, the problem is that where I live, the shops seem to offer only models with 8gb preinstalled and 3 empty slots. This applies to models: G751JY-T7015H, G751JY-T7004H and G751JT-T7010H which are sold in the nordic market.

So if opening up the entire chassis for accessing the one free slot under the keyboard voids the warranty, I don't understand how it can be sold as "up to 32gb with 3 free slots".

It seems funny, though I think buying one 16gb stick and one 8gb stick should work without any hiccups when installed to the bottom "user serviceable slots".

Also, wondering whether the kingston ddr3l cl11 ram compatible with g750 works also with 751 :)

Thanks for any hints on these issues!

QC_AGENT
11-16-2014, 03:49 PM
My local Asus retailer did not even had any G751, I ordered it from NewEgg. However, if your local store sell ASUS Laptop they certainly can service it as well and install it for you. It's unfortunate to pay for the labor but it preserves the warranty

QC_AGENT
11-16-2014, 05:31 PM
What is the motherboard type embedded in the G751-JY? Z87 or Z97 kind? Can we have more information in this matter?

Mublur
11-17-2014, 02:14 PM
QC_AGENT: I think it is Mobile Intel HM87 Express Chipset, so a year older than Z97 with 2,7W tdp

Krysiul
11-21-2014, 09:51 AM
Hello. I am considering buying G751JY and I have several questions:

1. With no nVidia Optimus available, is there a simple way (or any way for that matter) to manually switch between the GPUs during normal work, or is the Intel GPU never used in practice?

2. I understand that there is no simple way of replacing the battery; still, is there any way for the user to replace the battery if needed, even if it voids the warranty? Or do I have to take the laptop to the service every time I need to replace the battery with the new one?

3. What is the warranty period for the battery?

Thanks for your time.

sa_stilom
11-21-2014, 10:19 AM
Please, urgent, is it possible to install 2x2.5 SSD in RAID0 Mode ???

QC_AGENT
11-23-2014, 02:28 PM
Please, urgent, is it possible to install 2x2.5 SSD in RAID0 Mode ???

Stilom, I don't believe so. There is two separate drive bay and I don't think they can give you a raid arraw. However, one of the two drives bay has a m.2 socket working at full speed, making any RAID 0 configuration irrelevant.

QC_AGENT
11-23-2014, 02:43 PM
Hello. I am considering buying G751JY and I have several questions:

1. With no nVidia Optimus available, is there a simple way (or any way for that matter) to manually switch between the GPUs during normal work, or is the Intel GPU never used in practice?

2. I understand that there is no simple way of replacing the battery; still, is there any way for the user to replace the battery if needed, even if it voids the warranty? Or do I have to take the laptop to the service every time I need to replace the battery with the new one?

3. What is the warranty period for the battery?

Thanks for your time.

Hello

1. Desactivating the GPU is no longer relevant. I tested The G751JY to have an autonomy of 4 hours on battery at full power setting while surfing on the web and working a word document.

2 and 3. For replacing the battery, you have to go to an Authorized Asus services. No one tried to remove the battery yet, so we don't know how it can be done, and it appears irrelevant for now. I owned a G73 and a G75 for two years each and the battery never got tired. I wished to have a second one for a better autonomy on long trip but even with a spare, I would had have an authonomy of 3 hours (1.5 each) and my bag would have weighted 20 pounds...so I never bought a spare. This G751 is way much efficient. I would not be worried about the battery. The Laptop is under a 1 year intenational warranty.

andreacos92
11-23-2014, 03:18 PM
Hi, a question about the G751JY.

Considering a 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD configuration, how can I know (before purchase it of course) if the SSD is 2.5" Sata or M.2 PCIe?
In the specifications there is no information about it.

Thanks in advance,
Regards

irablumberg
11-23-2014, 08:51 PM
Actually, don't use the m.2 socket then you can mount a standard 2.5" SATA drive in that space. In addition, you have a second standard 2.5" SATA drive slot. Thus, you could install 2 x 2.5" SSDs and run them in RAID 0 or 1. However, as QC_AGENT noted, this would likely reduce rather than increase performance since the m.2 socket runs at PCIe speed rather than SATA speed. Thus, you are much better off simply ordering a configuration with a decent size m.2 SSD or adding one later. Also, there are only a total of 2 hard drive slots, so if you do 2 x 2.5" SATA SSDs, then there is no room for an internal hard drive (if that matters to you).

andreacos92
11-23-2014, 11:06 PM
Thank you, but I know all this. :)

Obviously I would prefer the M.2 PCIe SSD, but how can I be sure that the laptop will come with a M.2 SSD and not with a 2.5" SATA SSD?

QC_AGENT
11-23-2014, 11:46 PM
Hi, a question about the G751JY.

Considering a 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD configuration, how can I know (before purchase it of course) if the SSD is 2.5" Sata or M.2 PCIe?
In the specifications there is no information about it.

Thanks in advance,
Regards

You don't. We all discovered it from removing the back plate and having the pleasure to contemplate it. Seriously, I first learned it from a webzine reviewing the product. The 751JY 256 SSD + 1Tb Hdd is m.2 powered. You have to believe it first and buy it as an act of faith. If it turns out not m.2, then your are not a true believer.

andreacos92
11-24-2014, 10:21 AM
You don't. We all discovered it from removing the back plate and having the pleasure to contemplate it. Seriously, I first learned it from a webzine reviewing the product. The 751JY 256 SSD + 1Tb Hdd is m.2 powered. You have to believe it first and buy it as an act of faith. If it turns out not m.2, then your are not a true believer.

So, let's hope :/

"He that lives upon hope will die fasting." [Benjamin Franklin]

sa_stilom
11-24-2014, 11:37 AM
Stilom, I don't believe so. There is two separate drive bay and I don't think they can give you a raid arraw. However, one of the two drives bay has a m.2 socket working at full speed, making any RAID 0 configuration irrelevant.

Thank you for your reply. Then I'll just go for 1xSamsung 850 2.5" Pro 500GB + existing 1TB 2.5" HDD 7200 RPM.
Will that work out? I mean, as I understood it should be possible to have 2x2.5" drives + 1x2.5" in DVDRW slot with adapter, but I will leave DVDRW there.

QC_AGENT
11-24-2014, 08:58 PM
Thank you for your reply. Then I'll just go for 1xSamsung 850 2.5" Pro 500GB + existing 1TB 2.5" HDD 7200 RPM.
Will that work out? I mean, as I understood it should be possible to have 2x2.5" drives + 1x2.5" in DVDRW slot with adapter, but I will leave DVDRW there.

Well, irablumberg is stating that it is possible to get a RAID configuration from the 2 x 2.5" SATA Bay. And, yes you can certaily get a third drive slot from the Optical Drive. However, your are better in anycase to get a m.2 disk there. You can easely secure it yourself w/ foam and tape, even if you don't have the ASUS braket. It will still be faster than any SATA RAID.

Krysiul
11-28-2014, 05:08 PM
Are there some limitations regarding HDMI connection (or connection via other ports: VGA/Thunderbolt)? Might some monitors/TVs be incompatible? I've read some posts written by people who get black screen while trying to connect the laptop to a TV or an external monitor via HDMI or have other problems while trying to do it. I've also read that HDMI output is not for an external monitor, but for TV specificaly and might not work for monitors. Is that true?

Sanctrum
11-28-2014, 09:55 PM
Integrated batteries are increasingly the norm for notebooks due to modern design constraints, and the fact that we find few people come to us to buy replacements outside of business contracts, AND there are a lot of poorly made 3rd party ones that can damage the product.

The possibility of fast battery removal is ESSENTIAL to save the laptop from any damage in case of accidental flooding (with cola, beer, wine, water, etc.)!!!
My old gaming laptop in its 4 years history has been flooded two times by my wife. Without my fast reaction and battery removal I would end with the bricked unit…
Looks like ASUS wants us to “enjoy” G751 till the first accident with beer 

dapogz
12-07-2014, 01:24 PM
The possibility of fast battery removal is ESSENTIAL to save the laptop from any damage in case of accidental flooding (with cola, beer, wine, water, etc.)!!!
My old gaming laptop in its 4 years history has been flooded two times by my wife. Without my fast reaction and battery removal I would end with the bricked unit…
Looks like ASUS wants us to “enjoy” G751 till the first accident with beer 

i agree with you.. should at least put a mechanical switch or an easy to detach cable that is accessible on the service bay, to cut power directly from the battery to avoid short on a water damage. This is an SOP on all electrical devices in a case of a water damage..

I think i can mod this to add a mechanical switch to cut power from the battery directly ;)

Sanctrum
12-07-2014, 08:29 PM
I think i can mod this to add a mechanical switch to cut power from the battery directly ;)

I was thinking the same way. The problem is I can't spot any disassembly guide of G751 yet. Or just how the battery attachment cord looks like and where it is connected. Some pictures... or better step by step pictures :D Till then, I will restrain from buying G751 or maybe I will consider G750JY or other producer's laptop with gtx 980M instead.

Death12312
12-11-2014, 02:44 AM
Hey, I was debating spending the extra money for M2 SSD since I heard the 1500 dollar edition doesn't include a M2 Adapter. Although I heard that the M2 is done through a Sata 3 adapter bottlenecking the speed? Is that the case? If so, is there a point to M2 over SATA3? Or does it operate at full speed?

How much will I notice M2 vs SATA3? Also is it XP941 M2 SSD?

cablebandit
12-11-2014, 07:41 AM
Hey, I was debating spending the extra money for M2 SSD since I heard the 1500 dollar edition doesn't include a M2 Adapter. Although I heard that the M2 is done through a Sata 3 adapter bottlenecking the speed? Is that the case? If so, is there a point to M2 over SATA3? Or does it operate at full speed?

How much will I notice M2 vs SATA3? Also is it XP941 M2 SSD?

From my research it seems the m.2 drive is PCIEx4....as well as the interface in the Asus....how much you will notice....no idea but it is twice as fast as sata III.....yes it is a xp941 drive

2Fast4U
12-16-2014, 03:44 PM
will it be possible to run instead of OS Win8.1 a Win7 on the G751? if yes, where do I get the drivers for it? thanks in advance!

kanecvr
12-20-2014, 11:01 PM
Hi guys. To answer a few questions since I got my machine (G751JY with 1TB HDD and GTX980m) last week and have been toying with it ever since:

1. Battery is built in to the machine, but it's easy to remove. It's hidden under the metallic cover behind the LCD screen at the back of the laptop between the two exhaust ports. The cover can easily be pulled of by removing four screws under the laptop. It comes right out, together with the speakers. Bad design choice, since I and many others prefer to carry two batteries when traveling.

2. Temps are not that impressive. Video card goes up to 79-80C witch is high in my book. My aging Precision M6700 with HD 7970m never went over 70C even when overclocked to 950mhz @ 1v. Asus should have cut breathing holes directly under the two fans, so they can suck in fresh air from the bottom. I;ve done this to several notebooks and it drops temps by 6-10 degrees! Even more if you use a coolpad! As it is, the cooling system recirculates the hot air over the heatsinks when temps go over 65-70C. I'd mod the case myself but I don't want to void my warranty.

3. If you have the 8GB version like me, Asus includes only one stick of 8GB under the keayboard in a non user serviceable area. You can purchase another 8GB stick and install it in the two accessible bays, or you can take the palmrest off and remove the pre-installed sodimm - but that will void your warranty. MAKE SURE TO BUY 1.35V DDR3L!!!! The CPU gets quite hot if you use 1.5v modules.

On that note I wish Asus would have put a big freaking sticker on it with a warning to use only 1.35v modules before I went and bought a dual channel Corsair Vengeance 1833 1.5v kit. Now I've wasted my money and have to live with the crappy single channel memory unltill I can afford to buy a second one.

I also wish they would have added 2x4GB in the user serviceable area instead of 1x8gb - I don't need more then 8GB for gaming. 32GB is a bloody waste of money. I would have went with 4x4GB sticks later on if I felt the need for more memory.

4. Performance of the GTX 980m is incredible. Faster then the DESKTOP GTX 770 and 5% slower then the DESKTOP GTX 970. Fastest mobile GPU i've ever tested. Very happy with my purchase

5. Cheapest laptop with 4710m and GTX 980 i could find in my country. Spent ~2000$ NEW on it in contrast to the 1800 euro I spent on my REFURBISHED Dell Precision M6700 + HD 7970m GREAT JOB ON THE PRICING ASUS!

6. CPU can be overclocked using Intel Extreme Tuning utility. You can up the power limit and set turbo to 3,5GHz on all cores! Very nice.
Don't update from BIOS version 220. You will lose the ability to set the CPU to 3.5GHz - you will only be able to set 3.4

7. You don't really need the M2 bracket to install an M2 SSD. I bought a 128gb Micron (with generic pci-e interface) for my laptop and secured it with thick double sided tape. Bad move on asus's part not supplying the bracket tough. The're doing the same thing that they did when I bought my ASUS Transformer T100TAL. I wanted the 3G version (I can't find use for a tablet if it doesn't have 3G), but it doesn't come with an HDD like the non-3G version does. There is no version with both 3G and HDD in the keyboard available. At first I tough the keyboard has the HDD slot in it but it's unpopulated -wrong. I also cant BUY a dock with a HDD because ASUS doesn't sell it separetly.

Also, the fact that you can't add both the M2 SSD and two HDDs is a huge waste (the M2 slot takes intersects the first HDD). I'll come up with a solution to this somehow - probalby using an M2 riser card.

8. You CAN install WINDOWS 7 on it - all the drivers work perfectly (download all asus Win 8.1 drivers and the graphics driver from the nvidia homepage) - but you will lose some functionality. I bought a copy of win8 with my laptop (altought I would have liked asus to ship it with Windows 8 With BING x64 - it is free for OEMs) and installed it, the bought Start8 for 4$ and got the START menu back + removed the metro interface.

NOTE: Please try to install windows IN UEFI MODE! Boot times are significantly shorter!!! My machine takes 2-4 seconds to cold boot.
To do thins, you need an 8gb flash drive, a copy of windows 7 or 8 and RUFUS witch you can get free from the net. Instructions on how to make a UEFI bootable USB drive can be easily found on the net.

Asus also supplies a DRIVER CD - uncommon these days. Keep it in your optical drive when you install Windows 8, and it will load the ASUS ROG splashcreen and loading animation for Windows startup, as well as the wifi and LAN drivers.

Overall, I'm happy with my purchase. If I had to change anything, I'd mod the bottom of the case so that the fans can suck clean air from outside. But I guess I'll have to wait till my warranty expires - and I don't foresee any problems regardless of this issue.

Hope this helps!

Sanctrum
12-21-2014, 08:31 AM
@kanecvr, Thx great post.
Could you please take and post some pictures regarding battery removal. Have you tried removing it or someone just told you how to do this?

kanecvr
12-21-2014, 11:08 AM
@kanecvr, Thx great post.
Could you please take and post some pictures regarding battery removal. Have you tried removing it or someone just told you how to do this?

I haven't messed with my machine, I don't want to void my warranty. The laptop we tore down belongs to a friend who spilled coffee on it and destroyed the keyboard - so he's warranty was all ready void. The ASUS Service center was nice enought to sell him a replacement keyboard without forcing him to have it replaced there and pay for labor. I replaced the keyboard on his machine, and took some pictures of the battery and laptop without the palmrest.

It's because I was able to test his laptop that I decided to by a 751JY for myself. I also have a short video showing how much cooler the machine is in 3D whith the palmrest off. (59-60C in Unigine Heaven vs 71-72C with the palmrest on.

As you can see from the second picture, both the CPU and GPU are soldered onto the mainboard. The CPU uses intel's FCBGA1364 package, so it's not replaceable, and neither is the GPU.

This is all I have. I haven't actually removed the battery since all I needed to do is replace the keyboard, and I didn't remove the mainboard either to show you the other side -> and I am NOT opening mine up until the warranty expires.

As far as I can tell, the battery is held in place using double sided tape, and connected to the mainboard via the multi color cable you can see in the top-middle right under the asus logo in the second picture. Should be easy to replace yourself - a 10 minute job by my estimates.

Sanctrum
12-21-2014, 01:36 PM
Thank you kanecvr. What a grate contribute to the community!
Do you think that it would be possible (any space available?) to solder some battery power off-on switch? Looks like there is little space...

kanecvr
12-21-2014, 02:52 PM
No, it would be impossible since the battery is connected via a 9 pin connector. That would risk breaking either the battery or the mainboard.

If you REALLY need to remove the battery you could unplug it, but that means taking off the palmrest. Best to just leave it be - it should last at least 12 months, 24 if you're lucky (that's how much my M6700 battery lasted and Dell laptops have notoriously bad batteries). A new battery for the ROG G751 can't cost more then 100 euro, and you can replace it yourself.

Below is my definite PRO/CON list regarding the G751 series. This is directed at ASUS:

What I like:
+ The Price / Performance ratio is possibly the best on the market.
+ Great keayboard
+ Overclocking abilities
+ Great Performance
+ Good battery life for a high spec machine with no Optimus
+ Great LCD screen! Mine came with an LG-Phillips IPS Pannel that runs at 75Hz.

What I don't like:
- CPU is soldered onto the motherboard. If it were to overheat for an extended period of time, the solder holding it on the mainboard could be damaged, meaning the whole mainboard becomes useless, as well as the CPU. If the CPU was socketed, this would not happen. Then again, the Core i7 4710HQ is quite a lot cheaper then the equivalent socketed (G3) cpu, the 4710MQ. Having the latter would have probably bumped the price up by at least 150-200$ - and since the 4710HQ is balzing fast, it's not really worth it, so I'm gonna take ASUS's side on this one.

- No MXM III B Slot. This is a big dissapointment for me, and I will issue this as a WARNING to potential customers:
BUY THE VERSION WITH THE FASTEST GRAPHICS, THE GTX980M!!! YOU CANNOT UPGRADE IT LATER!!! You can however upgrade the ram, and add an SSD or HDD, blu-ray, whatever. Keep this in mind when you purchase the laptop. Also keep in mid that the 860M is not a suitable card for gaming. Don't be fooled into thinking it's good enough, it's not. http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-860M.107794.0.html While it may be sufficient for some games ran on low-medium right now, it a year or so it will be completly obsolete. Try to go for the GTX 980M or at least the GTX 970. A good business practice would have been to provide an MXM III B slot, and for ASUS to sell video cards for their laptops.

- Cooling sistem is mediocre. Two simple breathing holes underneath the fans would have made a lot of difference.
- Audio quality could have been a lot better. It's nice and loud as it is, sound quality isn't stellar. God knows the's plenty of space inside the G series to install good speakers.

Despite all the cons and complete lack of upgradability where it counts (GPU / CPU), you can safely assume this machine will have good performance and satisfy your gaming needs for the next two or more years, IF you get the G751JY with the GTX 980M. It's so worth it.

dapogz
12-22-2014, 03:27 AM
No, it would be impossible since the battery is connected via a 9 pin connector. That would risk breaking either the battery or the mainboard.

Deym.. Battery was too tight, unlike the Dell Vostro, which we manage to add a switch, well if the battery was not that hard to unscrew, well that is fine with me :) thanks for the pics kanecvr

-to be honest i really dont like the keyboard layout, because of the shadowplay/steam button location and the too dim red backlight, if only there's a way to disable the shadowplay and steam button, i think its ok..

is it posible? to use the g750 keyboard on the g751? just wondering if it fits :D

kanecvr
12-23-2014, 11:10 AM
Deym.. Battery was too tight, unlike the Dell Vostro, which we manage to add a switch, well if the battery was not that hard to unscrew, well that is fine with me :) thanks for the pics kanecvr

-to be honest i really dont like the keyboard layout, because of the shadowplay/steam button location and the too dim red backlight, if only there's a way to disable the shadowplay and steam button, i think its ok..

is it posible? to use the g750 keyboard on the g751? just wondering if it fits :D

I don't think you can fit the G750's keaboard - it's kind of integrated into the palmrest and the palmrest has a different shape.

I also hate the shadowplay key, but I love the dim keyboard backlight.

Nafura
12-28-2014, 03:03 PM
What is the difference ?

ASUS ROG G751JY-T7016H (90NB06F1-M00160)
ASUS ROG G751JY-T7066H (90NB06F1-M00880)

have these models a pcie ssd?

kanecvr
01-01-2015, 10:56 AM
If specs say it's got an SSD, it's PCI-E. I haven't heard of any models with a SATA SSD, and the G751 doesn't have mSATA.

SDEagle
01-05-2015, 10:19 PM
If specs say it's got an SSD, it's PCI-E. I haven't heard of any models with a SATA SSD, and the G751 doesn't have mSATA.

Thanks for providing so much of info based on your experience on G751, kanecvr!

Just Confirmed (from ASUS rep.) that the ASUS ROG G751JT-CH71 (that comes with 1TB HDD only), has an empty SATA SSD slot (which I'm planning to fill in with Samsung 850 Evo, later)

dapogz
01-06-2015, 04:57 AM
Thanks for providing so much of info based on your experience on G751, kanecvr!

Just Confirmed (from ASUS rep.) that the ASUS ROG G751JT-CH71 (that comes with 1TB HDD only), has an empty SATA SSD slot (which I'm planning to fill in with Samsung 850 Evo, later)

we got the same config brother... :D cheaper tham m.2 but almost as fast.. still boots at 4-8 sec

SDEagle
01-06-2015, 05:43 PM
we got the same config brother... :D cheaper tham m.2 but almost as fast.. still boots at 4-8 sec

You bet! :cool:

horndog
01-09-2015, 02:07 AM
Hello all, I have just ordered a new beast and cant wait to get it next week. I am not a gamer but rather will use the Laptop for buiness instead.
Can anyone tell meif and how I can change the color of thr BACKLIT for thr KEYBOARD. I called tech before the purchase, they asured me that it can be change but wont tell you how????? What the hell man...So if any of your guys can help I would be very thankful. Here is what I got.

Asus G751JY-DH72X

Operating System
Genuine Windows® 7 Ultimate, 64bit, English, with Multi Language Support - $190.00
Recovery Media (returns system back to factory state)
Recovery USB Flash Drive - $25.00
Processor
4th Generation Intel Core i7-4860HQ Processor, 2.4 GHz (Max Turbo Frequency 3.6GHz), 6MB Smart Cache
Video Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 980M with 4GB GDDR5
Thermal Paste
IC Diamond on CPU + GPU - $35.00
LCD Panel
17.3" 1920 x 1080 IPS Full HD (16:9) LED Backlit Antiglare Type Display w/ Wide Viewing Angle
System Memory (RAM)
32GB Dual Channel DDR3L at 1600MHz (4 x 8GB)
M.2 PCIe SSD
Asus specified 512GB PCIe M.2 SSD
2.5 Inch HDD Bay
Samsung 850 Pro Series (3D VNAND Tech) SATA3 6Gb/s 256GB SSD - installed by HIDevolution - $220.00
Internal Optical/2nd HDD Bay
Dual Layer Blu-ray Reader (BR-ROM, DVD+-RW, CD-RW) - installed by HIDevolution - -$30.00
Wireless Cards
Killer™ Wireless-AC N1525 ac/a/g/n 2x2 NGFF - installed by HIDevolution - $60.00

hmscott
01-09-2015, 01:17 PM
horndog, a couple of notes on your selections :)

1) Don't do Windows 7, it's not supported on the G751, and you won't get full function for your laptop / peripherals. Windows 8.1 runs fine with the G751, and you can add a couple of small apps to bring back the Windows 7 desktop experience - ClassicShell and 8gadgetPaack

http://www.classicshell.net/

http://8gadgetpack.net/

2) While the Killer Wireless-AC N1525 is the future cool card to have, there are lots of problems being reported by MSI and other owners that had the N1525 installed. Your provider may have worked out a good driver/config for the N1525.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/networking-wireless/762767-killer-n1525-wireless-ac-5.html#post9793918

If you end up with the N1525 please let us know how it works, and with what router, as those of us with the 1202 have been waiting for the 1525 to stabilize.

Again, unless you have software that won't run on Windows 8.1, only runs on Windows 7, there is no reason to get one of the highest spec newest laptops with an OS about to go into non-support.

Please come back and let us know how it works out :)

horndog
01-12-2015, 12:42 PM
HM...
Thank you for the heads up I had no idea. I really appreciate you setting me straight, and its not to late to change. As I said I dont know what the Hell is going on , I just wanted a better computer for work. Thanks man.

Non - Support....Windows 7

I didnt even thaink about that....Damn
Nice to have friends

horndog
01-12-2015, 12:48 PM
I will most definitely do my part and give updates and reports to show my appreciation. Its being built now and will recieve it in about 10 days out.

horndog
01-12-2015, 12:56 PM
Question.....

Can the Red Backlit on the keyboard be changed to a different color???

How can it be changed??

Thank you guys.

dapogz
01-12-2015, 01:55 PM
Question.....

Can the Red Backlit on the keyboard be changed to a different color???

How can it be changed??

Thank you guys.

No, you cant change the color .. You can only change the Backlit Dim but not the color

hmscott
01-12-2015, 05:59 PM
HM...
Thank you for the heads up I had no idea. I really appreciate you setting me straight, and its not to late to change. As I said I dont know what the Hell is going on , I just wanted a better computer for work. Thanks man.

Non - Support....Windows 7

I didnt even thaink about that....Damn
Nice to have friends

horndog, the 1525N is the future, just not sure it is stable now. Definitely don't do the default Intel 7260 as it has a lot of incompatibilities Wifi wise

Also, the Intel USB chipset running in the G751 is only doing USB 2.0 speed - due to Intel stopping driver support of those chips past Windows 7 - and the Microsoft drivers are the problem - they only do USB 2.0, there is a thread about this affecting external/internal USB based Wifi devices:

G751 - AC WLAN only at 7 MB per sec!?
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?55158-G751-AC-WLAN-only-at-7-MB-per-sec!&p=459544&viewfull=1#post459544

There was a hope of patching the Windows 7 drivers to load into Windows 8.1, which worked for my G750JH, but so far 2 G751 owners tried but get driver loading error 10's
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?55158-G751-AC-WLAN-only-at-7-MB-per-sec!&p=464477&viewfull=1#post464477

Not sure if there is a way around this at this point, until Microsoft fixes the USB 3.0 drivers. For most internet connections the speed will be ok, but if you want to do fast LAN Wifi file sharing, you should plan on running ethernet.

horndog
01-12-2015, 07:19 PM
HM...
Operating System corrected
I have upgraded to Window 8.1 Pro

and from the:
Samsung 850 Pro Series (3D VNAND Tech) SATA3 6Gb/s 256GB SSD
to the
Samsung 850 Pro Series (3D VNAND Tech) SATA3 6Gb/s 512GB SSD

godbold
01-13-2015, 02:44 PM
Hello everyone.I'm considereing buying G751JY.Can anyone tell me what is the difference in performance between the I7 4710hq and I7 4860hq in this laptop.I know that 4860hq has higher turbo clock speed 3.6 GHz vs 3.5 GHz for 4710hq.Is it worth to take 4860HQ

sk3tch
01-13-2015, 04:04 PM
Hello everyone.I'm considereing buying G751JY.Can anyone tell me what is the difference in performance between the I7 4710hq and I7 4860hq in this laptop.I know that 4860hq has higher turbo clock speed 3.6 GHz vs 3.5 GHz for 4710hq.Is it worth to take 4860HQ

There is almost zero difference in terms of the G751 - which focuses on gaming.

The 4710HQ uses the Intel HD Graphics 4600 and the 4860HQ uses the Intel Iris Pro Graphics 5200 (~2x as fast as the 4600).

Intel comparison link:
http://ark.intel.com/compare/76089,78930

Leptoid
01-14-2015, 02:02 AM

it is actually the 9mm one... the 12 is too big. I know... I listened to people and bought the 12mm only to find out it was too big. 9mm is a tight squeeze.

horndog
01-31-2015, 06:57 AM
This is with out a doubt one of the finest machines I have ever had the Pleasures to touch.....

I say GOD DAMN, that's one fine *****......

Not one issue everything worked, right out the box, online connection NO problem. Thanks guys for the help.........

Sanctrum
01-31-2015, 06:44 PM
This is with out a doubt one of the finest machines I have ever had the Pleasures to touch.....

I say GOD DAMN, that's one fine *****......

Not one issue everything worked, right out the box, online connection NO problem. Thanks guys for the help.........

Please write its manufacturing date...

kanecvr
02-04-2015, 07:27 PM
After a couple of months of use, I'm convinced the G751JY has serious SSD compatibility issues. When I bought the thing, I installed windows on a 120 Kingston V300 I bought along with it. There were some minor issues due to the RIDICULOUSLY LIMITED BIOS, but finally got it up and running.

I didn't buy the SSD version because ASUS was asking for ~20% more money for a 512GB SSD I don't need and 24GB of SINGLE CHANNEL (3x8GB) ram I don't want - If Asus sold a version with 120/256GB SSD + 2x8GB of ram, I would have gone for that.

About a month ago, I pulled out the 256GB Liteon LAT-256M2S from my Dell Precision (witch now uses a Micron C400 mSATA SSD), wiped it, and stuffed it in my G751JY - but surprise surprise, the Asus will not boot off it in UEFI mode. Legacy mode works fine, but when I try to boot of it in UEFI or install a UEFI OS on it, the laptop boots directly to BIOS. I could start up win8 setup, select the SSD to install on, but as soon as the PC restarts, it will show the BIOS screen. If I install Win8 in legacy mode, it will boot up just fine.

I decided to write about it today, as I wanted to install a copy of Windows 10 Dev Preview on a 64Gb Kingston V200 I had lying around - guess what - SAME ISSUE, but this time, I'm having trouble getting the laptop to detect the V200 at all!

There's clearly something wrong with the G751. The machine will sometime boot into BIOS and fail to detect my SSD until I shut it down by holding the power button and turn it back on again -this with the Kingston V300 I've been using. It happens 1 out of 10 times while turning the machine on.

horndog
02-12-2015, 09:48 AM
Please write its manufacturing date...

Where can I find this info.??? Excuse my ignorance.....

Sanctrum
02-12-2015, 06:35 PM
Where can I find this info.??? Excuse my ignorance.....

There is a small "sticker" at the bottom side of the case. There is a month and year printed out.

Nole3000
02-18-2015, 06:54 PM
There is no information regarding compatible memory types for the G751 on Kingston's website. Does anyone know if KVR16LS11/8 is compatible (it is 1,35v)?

Also Corsair memory finder lacks G751JY and the entire G751 series.

Also, since only 2 ram slots are directly accessible, how hard is it to tear down the laptop in order to change dimms in the lower slots?

It is not too hard, if you show some skills. First gently pull out all rubber seals over the screws. Than unscrew them, and flip it bottom down. Make sure that all screws are out, before. Than use some plastic card, credit card alike and take off the back cover, behind the screen lid. Try not to scratch any surface. After you remove it, open the lid, and startting from right corner, facing the lid, using credit alike card, separate cover from the base, slowly and gently, one by one plastic latch at the time, all the way to the other corner, to the left side. DO NOT PULL COVER WITH KEYBOARD UP IMMEDIATELY!!! This is important, since there are 4 flat cables connecting keyboard, front led panel, touchpad, and power button with the motherboard below. Lift it slowly up, and try not to rip the cables. There you will see two hidden RAM DDR3L slots. If you do everything correctly you will finish upgrading within 20-30 minutes, and if you take care you will not leave any trails and scratches. I did it this way. My G751JY was with just 8Gb, now it has 32Gb. I seen before this upgrading notes, so I decided also to buy a model with M.2 SSD of 256Gb and 1Tb HDD, however, I replaced second HDD with Samsung's 1Tb SSD to avoid rotating disks inside moving unit. It works flawless. In future I want to use another M.2 slot that is hidden under the motherboard, and not so easy to approach. It should be ripped apart completely, but I simply love to do it :-) as guyz from XOTIC PC, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVUGGFX4Bx0 , at 18,44 you'll se how it looks opened. Glad if I helped somehow. I love ASUS, and after my poor experience with Toshiba's Qosmio X870 Black Widow, this is fantastic feeling to have an ASUS in hands again.

JarekCyphus
02-20-2015, 07:25 PM
Will there be a model that has a replaceable battery?

http://rog.asus.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/g751-upgrade-guide-batt.jpg

The integrated battery, seems like a poor decision.

Especially after the power problems the G750 series keeps popping up with.

ing.federico.rossi
02-20-2015, 11:47 PM
In future I want to use another M.2 slot that is hidden under the motherboard, and not so easy to approach. It should be ripped apart completely.

Really??? I have searched very site and forum I know to have confirmation! But I found none... are you sure a second M.2 slot exists, buried somewhere?

Medicius
02-27-2015, 11:39 PM
Hi.
I have ASUS G751JY with one 8GB memory stick installed (two user accessible slots are empty).
Is it worth buying another 8GB stick of RAM for 80€ just because I would run on dual channel? Would I get any % on performance?

hmscott
03-01-2015, 04:19 AM
Hi.
I have ASUS G751JY with one 8GB memory stick installed (two user accessible slots are empty).
Is it worth buying another 8GB stick of RAM for 80€ just because I would run on dual channel? Would I get any % on performance?

Medicius, you can use a component inventory program like hwinfo64, AIDA64, speccy, etc to see what slot's are filled and with what. I use CPU-Z SPD tab, it's quick and focused.

Then I order an additional part of the same make/model if it is 8GB part, if 4GB I order an 8GB from the same make/model family. It's just easier to get the exact same component to match what is already installed.

It's worth it to know I have maximum compatibility - and since they are usually the same make/model as Macbook Pro parts I can get tested pulls - cheaper and known to work.

With the G751, it seems to be more tolerant of similar spec parts of different make/model, so you might get away with bargain brand parts - but why? $2000+ for a new laptop, and people worry about saving $20 on memory :)

If you only have 1 SODIMM, and 3 free slots, you are an excellent candidate for replacing all 4 SODIMM's at once with some awesome 2133mhz memory, these have been reported to work in the G751/G750:

G.SKILL Ripjaws 32GB (4 x 8G) 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3L 2133 Laptop Memory Model F3-2133C11Q-32GRSL
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231776

It's down to $299 for 32GB, pretty awesome stuff .

Please let us know what you end up getting and how it works out :)

Buckeye8084
03-05-2015, 02:48 PM

I was planning on purchasing the G751JT-DH72 that already has an SSD pre-installed. I don't know what type of of SSD it is (m2 pcie, sata) Is there a better benefit of going with the CH-71 and installing a Samsung SSD instead? I know the price is $300 difference in the models. Thanks

Edit: I believe I found the information that the DH-72 comes with a Sata 3. My question now is do all G751 series come with a M.2 pciE connector at least for upgrade? I still would appreciate some input about the benefit of others changing the stock ssd from sandisk to a samsung.

Northforge
03-07-2015, 09:54 AM
No matter what I do I can't escape the stutter when playing games both online and offline. Already exchanged one G751JY for another, and it persists here too. Spent 10 days of time consuming livechats and forum searching for solutions. Why does this gaming laptop come so unusable for gaming?

Ellian
03-13-2015, 12:21 PM
Hi everyone. These laptops look great!
I'm considering buying a G751JM-T7041H (which comes with just one 1T HDD), do all models have 2 HDD slots so I could add a SSD later on?

Thank you in advance.

benjmyers1
03-13-2015, 01:26 PM
yes

erreesse
03-14-2015, 12:30 PM
.... My question now is do all G751 series come with a M.2 pciE connector at least for upgrade? I still would appreciate some input about the benefit of others changing the stock ssd from sandisk to a samsung.

on my experience, not all G751 have M2 connector, my G751JY-T7134H (is original asus italy) DON'T have M2 socket.
with my great disappointment, i choose this G751 specifically for M2 !!!, i found this bad surprise!!

Chaios
04-09-2015, 07:38 AM

II "really must" have a removable battery. I opted for ordering a G750JZ through Amazon. We are not Apple people. We are gamers and hardware geeks. We don't care what the increasing norm is. This is your market. Innovate, don't imitate.

ciccio80
04-10-2015, 12:13 PM
Hi I recently bought a G751JY (128Gb SSD sata3 + HDD 1Gb).
Unfortunately my laptop seems to have arrived without the M2 connector (the circuits are there on the motherboard, but there is no "physical" connector). Now For the things I do a SATA 3 SSD is more than enough to handle everything.
Still I would like to know if anyone else got their G751JY without the M2 connector (not talking about the alluminium bracket to hold it in place, mind you ;)

http://i.imgur.com/aGQuGEp.jpg

erreesse
04-10-2015, 02:58 PM
Unfortunately my laptop seems to have arrived without the M2 connector (the circuits are there on the motherboard, but there is no "physical" connector). Now For the things I do a SATA 3 SSD is more than enough to handle everything.
Still I would like to know if anyone else got their G751JY without the M2 connector (not talking about the alluminium bracket to hold it in place, mind you ;)

me too , see my previous post.

Sanctrum
04-10-2015, 07:42 PM

I have got mine G751JY at Poland also without the M2 connector. I bought it 2 days ago. The batch March 2015

robysettimo
04-14-2015, 08:43 AM
First of all sorry for my poor english :(
i have just bought this awesome laptop, but i have 2 problem:
1) The left USB are unusable with big file because they continue to disconnect ( i have read several post and in several forum but i did not find any cure for that)
2) also if in the asustore the 7134h release (italian version) is indicated WITH BR writer, my laptop has a combo that only read the BR. I wrote to Asus support and they refuse to help because they said that on a second asus website it is specified as writer. First of all in 3 different ASUS site ( included ASUS.com) it is defined as BR writer, but anyway how is possible that a top computer born for gaming but also for graphic could be equipped with only a BR writer??
if i am around, how can i burn large HD file???
This is really absurd to me. Does anyone have the same problem?
thanks in advance and ciao

kingjezdi
04-20-2015, 05:05 PM
has someone here installed his own G751JY, Windows 8.1 with Recovery or with Media Creation Tool, which one is better?!
sry for my english :)

grandmachine
04-22-2015, 03:43 PM
Just ordered a ASUS ROG G751JY-DH71 and it should be arriving by Friday. Is there something other than the sound issue that I should know about the laptop and stuff listed in the first page?

Thanks!

wanted5
04-22-2015, 04:50 PM
Hi,

I ordered one G751jy - T7019D (with 8 GB memory). Can someone tell me this model how comes originally? with 1x8 GB or 2x4 GB.
The seller told me it has 2x4 GB and I'm afraid they are changed the origanal ram to a cheeper one.

So, this model comes with 2x4 GB?

blausand2
04-24-2015, 11:55 AM
Should be stated here or even more prominently, that

This model
* does NOT support RAID 1, 5 or 10.
* SPDIF is NOT electrical, only optical (mini-TOSlink)
* DRIVERS are NOT provided other than for Windows 8.1 !!
* ASUS does NOT make any efforts to really explain "Which functionality comes (exclusively) with what bloat software component."

Sorry, that's just not the league the hardware is playing in, ASUS!

hmscott
04-24-2015, 05:32 PM
Should be stated here or even more prominently, that
This model
* does NOT support RAID 1, 5 or 10.
* SPDIF is NOT electrical, only optical (mini-TOSlink)
* DRIVERS are NOT provided other than for Windows 8.1 !!
* ASUS does NOT make any efforts to really explain "Which functionality comes (exclusively) with what bloat software component."

Sorry, that's just not the league the hardware is playing in, ASUS!

blausand2, Asus, like other manufacturers, make high end highly technical products that require a high level of technical expertise to truly understand and take full advantage of them.

For most people, including me, it is a long process of many years of learning what to look for, and find it, when checking out the specs on hardware - what it really has - and often you need to actually open it up to know for sure :)

Your list isn't even that bad, all those items are clearly mentioned in one form or another, or assume knowledge of previous generations of ROG laptops that have been using the same methods / components as the new release(s).

* does NOT support RAID 1, 5 or 10. ==> It's a laptop, you should be happy it supports any RAID method at all; RAID0 is enough - supplying the 1 most desired feature - performance.

* SPDIF is NOT electrical, only optical (mini-TOSlink) ==> This has been an industry standard for a long time in laptops, dual function analog/digital socket - and has been well known and documented for many years now. Get a mini-TOSLINK adapter and enjoy :)

* DRIVERS are NOT provided other than for Windows 8.1 !! ==> stop using old technology and move into the current day, Windows 8.1 is about to become old news and Windows 10 will be current - are you really going to be one of those diehard XP guys and die clutching memories? It's so easy to stop being young and stop learning new things, catch yourself doing that and stop it early on - it's much more rewarding and beneficial to learn to adapt and use the new OS's rather than stay stuck in the past.

* ASUS does NOT make any efforts to really explain "Which functionality comes (exclusively) with what bloat software component." ==> Noone does, you need to learn these new things yourself through experience. There isn't enough time to train every new user personally, it is up to you.

Your description of Asus can be the same for any other high tech company product. The onus is on you to learn it and use it effectively, Asus just makes it for your use :)

hexaae
05-31-2015, 07:39 AM
Please add to first post that 2nd bay is SATA II @3GB/s, not SATA III 6GB/s as the 1st one on the left.

X-Gear
06-02-2015, 04:16 AM
* SPDIF is NOT electrical, only optical (mini-TOSlink) ==> This has been an industry standard for a long time in laptops, dual function analog/digital socket - and has been well known and documented for many years now. Get a mini-TOSLINK adapter and enjoy :)

All this time I never fully understood this "dual function" port even though my last three laptops included it so I've only ever plugged in headphone cables. Reading this post I did a little bit of research and got my "Ahhhhhh Haaaaa" moment. Picked up this TOSLINK adapter from Best Buy to utilize the optical input of my Logitech Z590's and am now enjoying the sweet digital output from my G751JY...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/audioquest-toslink-to-3-5mm-mini-optical-adapter-black/6225006.p?id=1219202967009&skuId=6225006

Thank you hmscott!

kstil
06-06-2015, 05:03 PM
Hi all I am a bit confused. I was about to purchase G751JY over the G750JY because of the IPS display but then I found this

according to the specs they advertise in Greece u get

G750JY
Monitor 17,3 IPS LED 1920 x 1080, Intel Core i7, 4710MQ - 2.5 GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 980M - 8 GB, RAM 16 GB DDR3L SDRAM, HD 1 TB 7200rpm,
2 SSD (2 x 128 GB), Blu-Ray (Write)

G751JY
Monitor 17,3 17.3" 16:9 IPS FHD (1920x1080) anti-glare, Intel Core i7-4710HQ - 2.5GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GTX980M - 4GB GDDR5, 16GB DDR3L,
HD 1TB 7200RPM, 1 SSD (128 GB SSD), Blu-Ray (Write)

The price difference is only 150euro (G750JY is more expensive), which would u buy and why ????

Thanks in advance

jinishans
06-07-2015, 03:41 AM
I have got mine G751JY at Poland also without the M2 connector. I bought it 2 days ago. The batch March 2015

I too just got my GT-CH71 couple of days from costco, it doesn't have a M.2 connector. I was just wondering is it possible to still fix a M.2 ssd or it's not advisable, in which case I just've to return it.

clockworksatan
07-09-2015, 12:03 PM
It's interesting that there's a few people saying that they're dissappointed with the cooling abilities of the G751 and that it just recirculates warm air when it gets warm. There's even talk of modding it by cutting holes below the fans!

The whole reason why the G751's cooling is superior to just about every other laptop on the market is that it doesn't fall into the trappings of old-fashioned laptop design by making it draw cool air from intakes on the bottom of the machine. If you get some thin paper (tissue, tracing paper, etc) and hold it to the ports on the sides and the keyboard, notice how it sucks the paper in? Yep, the G751 draws cool air in from the top and sides of it - not the bottom, and then expels it through those big red vents at the rear. I'm not sure if there's another laptop that's designed in this way, but it's absolutely brilliant and I highly doubt that it recycles any of that warm air being pushed out of the vents.

Cutting holes in the bottom of it would be like drilling holes in your car's exhaust and would just reduce the effectiveness of the cooling system.

tteksystems
07-20-2015, 06:25 PM
I haven't messed with my machine, I don't want to void my warranty. The laptop we tore down belongs to a friend who spilled coffee on it and destroyed the keyboard - so he's warranty was all ready void. The ASUS Service center was nice enought to sell him a replacement keyboard without forcing him to have it replaced there and pay for labor. I replaced the keyboard on his machine, and took some pictures of the battery and laptop without the palmrest.

It's because I was able to test his laptop that I decided to by a 751JY for myself. I also have a short video showing how much cooler the machine is in 3D whith the palmrest off. (59-60C in Unigine Heaven vs 71-72C with the palmrest on.

As you can see from the second picture, both the CPU and GPU are soldered onto the mainboard. The CPU uses intel's FCBGA1364 package, so it's not replaceable, and neither is the GPU.

This is all I have. I haven't actually removed the battery since all I needed to do is replace the keyboard, and I didn't remove the mainboard either to show you the other side -> and I am NOT opening mine up until the warranty expires.

As far as I can tell, the battery is held in place using double sided tape, and connected to the mainboard via the multi color cable you can see in the top-middle right under the asus logo in the second picture. Should be easy to replace yourself - a 10 minute job by my estimates.

Does ASUS offer an accident warranty where you are? At the time you posted this message, I think less than a year has elapsed since the release of the G751 so I was thinking there should be some sort of warranty coverage still available, no? Since ASUS offers a 1 year international warranty I would expect that your friend would have 1 year of coverage for any type of failure that would have taken place no matter what the cause and no matter where he is located. I'm just curious if that would have been a possible way out of it

You know, honestly, if people have their machine for a month or so and spent alot of time putting it through the paces, and there are no issues or problems, most times the computer/laptop/component is solid and warranty for defects or premature failures is not usually common. Breaking it down, It is the accidental damages, the lightning strikes, or in very rare instantances, the defects/premature failures, and in that order, that requires us to fall back on the warranty coverage. Asus giving the 1 year accident coverage seem like a good way to deter people from opening up the laptop and accessing unauthorized areas. I read alot of people that will not tamper with certain areas of a laptop internally because they don't want to void the warranty. Sorta keeps people from trying to mess with things that perhaps ASUS does not want you to know. This way, any upgrades that require access to unauthorized areas, at least within the first year, will most likely push many people to pay authorized ASUS technicians. I can almost bet there is some basis to what I am saying. But it "is" just my observation, is all.

Alot of people are always anxious to find out who has opened up a new model laptop to decipher the design and you can even see how many people actually search for these specific things using search statistics online. It's really amazing how people can follow which trends are getting alot of attention. As soon as someone makes a YouTube video with the tear down and rebuild of a new laptop model like this, there will be a huge following. It might be a good way to attract enough people to earn yourself enough hits to get a sponsor. Plus, you will develop a cult following if you do it on a regular as you could become the trusted resource for everyone to turn to when new models are released and if you develop a complete guide for end users to see the internal makings of all of the top rated laptops made within a 5 year block, I imagine there is a great opportunity for an online resource that could actually make money if you have enough hits to your info articles. Anyone want to talk about starting a business? I have a vast interest in these type of things.

Anyway, the heat build-up on the gaming laptops with high end video are suffering without good cooling. It's a pity the warranty is affected over something we might do to modify & correct a design flaw. I'm not sure I understand the logic behind the designs sometimes but truth be told, this ASUS ROG design on the G751 works better to keep cool when compared to all other laptops of this calibur. If the highest powered video is not required, the G751 is extremely capable of keeping cool"does" have much better cooling. But, Once the GTX980m is in the equation, the heat of the laptop becomes more evident. But other manufacturers suffer more than the ASUS G751.

At least ASUS gave end user access for some things but alot of manufacturers are slowly taking away our ability to manage simple upgrades. Batteries being internal as well as other limitations that require a certified technician are far too exaggerated. I understand they want to keep our grubby little hands out of the cookie jar because some people do actually foul up their computers by accessing these unauthorized areas and then try to RMA their screw up. They can't very well lable it "off limits to those who are not capable" so they kinda ruin it for alot of the people who can successfully tear down and rebuild a laptop unit without incident. Anyways, I am just blurting our alot of my perceptions based on around 30 years of what I've witnessed since the inception of the personal computer, laptops, and the hardware evolution. I remember ASUS as a company of choice for those of us who wanted to have the best. Custom builds gave us more control over the hardware within a system and once ASUS they started building computers and laptops, I was hopeful that trend would continue. But, I can imagine many investors and corporate savvy businessmen for ASUS have crunched numbers to minimize overhead and maximize profits and RMAs are not generating profit. Hell, they do not even generate revenue. It is a cost that can sometimes destroy a company if not handled properly. There are many factors when dealing with an RMA> the chance of keeping or losing a customer while paying an employee or employees to help try and solve an issue without having to invest anything else except time. Once hardware is deemed faulty, then there is the return process which cost money from the time it is shipped back to the manufacturer, to pay the employees to receive it, test it/toss it or whatever, process the RMA replacement/repair, then ship it back. ASUS was not always as big as they are now. In fact, I never expected them to be this big. I always felt they would be like a custom guitar luthier who offers only the best to those who were willing to shell out the money. But they have risen. Boy have they. I think they have proven themselves to be at the top of the mountain with hardware components since the beginning but they now have such a fantastic line of products, from laptops, desktops, and even tablets and phones. Samsung is big, but ASUS is being pitted against them on some levels and that's really pretty awesome.

AFTER the sale is when a companies true colors really stand out. They begin to crack down on things while defining what is considered the worthy RMA entitled to service and or repair/replacement. I used to be able to return an ASUS motherboard without any resistance and vendors were always willing to accept returns of ASUS products because of the easy time getting replacments. Now the RMA, as with many companies, is met with resistance so they may evaluate all the details to determine whether or not the end user has broken any rules in the lengthy legal agreement they have paid lawyers to write up, so as to protect themselves from beiong liable for every last known possible failure. These days, a defective product is not defined by the end user in the way it used to be years ago. Now, you spend 5 hours on the phone with a tech support agent who has less knowledge than you and they read from a written script that rpompts them to jump to anyther section based on our results when we follow their instructions. We've come a long way since those early days of ASUS the almighty. I do still respect them for alot of great products. But, they've refined themselves. We have to play the game now. And sometimes, we don't always have the best options to choose in a product design because the manufacturer has limited our ability to have too much control of the innerworkings of these modern devices. Well, that was a trip down memory lane. I sure hope nobody is offended. It was not meant to call out any comments or judge anyone. I was just re-living my early days of jumping on the ASUS band wagon and how I have been faithful to use alot of their products since the very beginning. I highly respect this latest offering of laptops. It's about time they finally put the IPS screens on the gaming systems. I think cooling in the gaming laptops needs some refinement though. It's not as good as it should be.

aeolisio
07-21-2015, 12:42 AM
After searching these forums for a M.2 bracket for my G751JY-DB73X G-Sync I actually made a 3d printed M.2 bracket myself. Well i made 13 versions before i found one that was perfect but its on shapeways if anyone still needs one. It has an open top for heatsinks. It also leaves enough room for the 850 EVO to fit naked. With heatsinks attached i got an average 7 degree drop in crystaldiskmark with the SM951.
http://shpws.me/J8lX

unnamedno.21
07-27-2015, 06:15 PM
hi there,
i am thinking about purchasing ASUS ROG G751JT-T7012H. Notebook has the hybrid SSHD 1000GB + 8GB SSD cache disk in stock and i would like to upgrade it with SSD, so i would have SSD and HDD disk.
Problem is, that i do not know if there is free 2.5 slot (or M.2 slot) for second HDD / SDD or not.
I wrote to seller support, who informed me, that there is one free slot, so no problem. I also wrote to same seller support but in another country - same notebook model and they said me, that there are not free slots for HDD or SSD disks.
So, what is the truth about that?
Is there possibility to upgrade it with SSD or not ?
Sorry for my english.
Thanks.

aeolisio
07-27-2015, 09:35 PM
A quick search showed this user saying he did have a m.2
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?67840-Asus-G751JT-T7012H-ssd-hdd-upgrade-questions&p=512305&highlight=G751JT-T7012H#post512305
You will need the bracket though, if it doesnt come with a m.2 ssd it wont come with the mounting bracket. I make a 3d printed version. You can read about it here,
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?71609-G751JY-DB73X-and-other-G751-s-M-2-bracket-3d-printed-and-heatsinked
or order it here
http://shpws.me/JcEy

unnamedno.21
07-28-2015, 07:39 PM
Thanks for the informations.
M.2 seems pretty good, but i also would be really happy with classic 2.5 SATA SSD, so are there 2 slots for 2.5 HDD / SSD or not ? All informations are unverified.

aeolisio
07-28-2015, 11:21 PM
Yes there are 2x 2.5 sata bays but nothing will be anything near as fast as the pcie m.2. Buying a g751 and only using the sata 3 bays instead of the m.2 pcie slot is like buying a Ferrari and having a honda civic engine put into it to save money on gas.

unnamedno.21
07-29-2015, 04:38 PM
yes, i understand and agree.
M.2 is pretty fast - however, m.2 pcie disk is circa 2x price of M.2 sata or 2.5 SATA, and i do not have unlimited budget.
thanks for the informations, i am still considering MSI GT70, or GT72 laptop - similar parameters and price, but ASUS looks better.

aeolisio
07-29-2015, 05:07 PM
yes, i understand and agree.
M.2 is pretty fast - however, m.2 pcie disk is circa 2x price of M.2 sata or 2.5 SATA, and i do not have unlimited budget.
thanks for the informations, i am still considering MSI GT70, or GT72 laptop - similar parameters and price, but ASUS looks better.
I deal with a lot of systems and i have found MSI to be lacking in quality control. I have swapped lots of gt72 dominators and gt80s for g751 for coworkers already so do your research and read some amazon reviews or something. You really only need 256GB of pcie for the programs and games you actually use and you can use your 1TB hard drive for storage. The 256 can be had for less that $200. Either way good luck.

unnamedno.21
08-14-2015, 07:15 PM
One more question.
Do all G751 versions have M.2 PCIe slot, or are there also M.2 SATA ?
I would like to order M.2 SSD before my new G751 will arrive, but do not know which one to order.
How to check that information ?
Thank you

aeolisio
08-14-2015, 07:58 PM
One more question.
Do all G751 versions have M.2 PCIe slot, or are there also M.2 SATA ?
I would like to order M.2 SSD before my new G751 will arrive, but do not know which one to order.
How to check that information ?
Thank you
some versions of the G751JT-CH71 dont have the slot at all as well as some international versions but if it has the slot it will always be pcie. If you are going to order a pcie i recommend the samsung SM951 and you will need a bracket. I made a 3d printed bracket and you can find pictures and info here.
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?71609-G751JY-DB73X-and-other-G751-s-M-2-bracket-3d-printed-and-heatsinked

unnamedno.21
08-15-2015, 06:00 PM
some versions of the G751JT-CH71 dont have the slot at all as well as some international versions but if it has the slot it will always be pcie. If you are going to order a pcie i recommend the samsung SM951 and you will need a bracket. I made a 3d printed bracket and you can find pictures and info here.

thank you, i am going to order G751JT-T7012H - can somebody confirm information about M.2 slot ?
compatibility question - would M.2 SATA disk work in M.2 PCIe slot ?

bracket thing - what about original brackets ? i have checked your 3D printed versions ( http://www.shapeways.com/shops/aeolisio ), awesome, but with shipping to my country it is quite expensive....
and what about heat sink - is that necessary ? i do not know temperature behaviour of this disks.

aeolisio
08-15-2015, 06:59 PM
thank you, i am going to order G751JT-T7012H - can somebody confirm information about M.2 slot ?
compatibility question - would M.2 SATA disk work in M.2 PCIe slot ?

bracket thing - what about original brackets ? i have checked your 3D printed versions ( http://www.shapeways.com/shops/aeolisio ), awesome, but with shipping to my country it is quite expensive....
and what about heat sink - is that necessary ? i do not know temperature behaviour of this disks.
No sata will not work in a pcie.
A bracket is necessary unless you buy a g751 with the included m.2 and bracket or find the oem bracket elsewhere but its twice the price of mine. Heatsinks are helpful as both the xp941 and sm951 have thermal throttling issues with the g751 but some people dont bother and thats why they see decreased performance and will probably see decreased lifespan. Think of it like buying a new car and removing the radiator. Samsung does not include a heatsink as it is an oem product and they rely on manufacturers to make one. They do have a recommended heatsink design in the manuf spec sheet for both the 941 and 951. Its up to you but considering the heatsinks are less than $2 on ebay and your paying hundreds for a drive its kind of silly to not put them on. I use these heatsinks in all the g751s from work and they were $1.19. If you choose the 256 drive you will just need 1 pack but any drive larger will require 2 packs as there will be modules on both sides. My bracket allows for heatsinks on both sides but the oem bracket does not as it attaches with a pad on the bottom in two places and does not tansfer any significant heat itself.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/231115994776?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

unnamedno.21
08-16-2015, 08:19 AM
i understand importance of cooling, but i am new in this M.2 SSD thing - thanks for explanantion.
so, i am going to wait for my G751, open it and check the M.2 slot - then i will order SSD, your bracket and heatsink.
I want 250/256 GB SSD drive, so which one ofyour brackets is suitable ? - there are 4 brackets so i am a bit confused :)

aeolisio
08-16-2015, 09:40 AM
i understand importance of cooling, but i am new in this M.2 SSD thing - thanks for explanantion.
so, i am going to wait for my G751, open it and check the M.2 slot - then i will order SSD, your bracket and heatsink.
I want 250/256 GB SSD drive, so which one ofyour brackets is suitable ? - there are 4 brackets so i am a bit confused :)

This one fits any size m.2 drive and is the best design and the one i personally use and install for coworkers
http://shpws.me/JcEI
feel free to message me with any questions.

unnamedno.21
09-02-2015, 10:16 PM
hi,
so i am owner of new G751JT T7012H :)
Here are few photos of hard drive bays https://www.dropbox.com/sh/uxhzbeggtf6hkg6/AAAfJCoOmdzNHHYnLs8rqL0Ja?dl=0
Can somebody confirm M.2 PCIe slot in my laptop ?

aeolisio
09-03-2015, 01:15 PM
hi,
so i am owner of new G751JT T7012H :)
Here are few photos of hard drive bays https://www.dropbox.com/sh/uxhzbeggtf6hkg6/AAAfJCoOmdzNHHYnLs8rqL0Ja?dl=0
Can somebody confirm M.2 PCIe slot in my laptop ?
Yes that is a m.2 pcie port that will work with any samsung xp941 or sm951 ahci m.2 though i strongly recommend the sm951 as it is far faster.

unnamedno.21
09-03-2015, 03:37 PM
Yes that is a m.2 pcie port that will work with any samsung xp941 or sm951 ahci m.2 though i strongly recommend the sm951 as it is far faster.

There is i bit problem with availability of these types of SSD disks in my country.
Samsung SM951 looks as the best choice for me.
Soon, i am going to offer the SSD and the bracket - one more question, is there possiblity to put SSD into laptop without bracket - temporarily, because i guess bracket will arrive one or two weeks later than my SSD. Is there a screw fot attachment or something ?
Thank you :)

aeolisio
09-03-2015, 04:44 PM
There is i bit problem with availability of these types of SSD disks in my country.
Samsung SM951 looks as the best choice for me.
Soon, i am going to offer the SSD and the bracket - one more question, is there possiblity to put SSD into laptop without bracket - temporarily, because i guess bracket will arrive one or two weeks later than my SSD. Is there a screw fot attachment or something ?
Thank you :)
No there is not. You could tape it in there but you risk damaging the drive and the port as well as overheating the drive.

unnamedno.21
09-03-2015, 07:30 PM
Understand.
Heatsinks - do you have any photos ?
Where should they be attached, how many heatsinks, how to attach them - thermal glue / thermal tape ?
Thank you ! :)

aeolisio
09-04-2015, 02:20 AM
Understand.
Heatsinks - do you have any photos ?
Where should they be attached, how many heatsinks, how to attach them - thermal glue / thermal tape ?
Thank you ! :)
There are photos of the 15mm heatsinks in the m.2 thread
i prefer 19x19x5mm for the top and you only need some on the bottom if you using larger than a 256 sm951 the bottom ones need to be 19x19x3 or smaller. I used 20x20x1mm thermal adhesive pads and just trimmed them also from ebay. If using 19x19s you will just need 4 for the top. If installing a 512gb sm951 youll want 8 total
Heres the link for the top ones i use http://www.ebay.com/itm/231115994776?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Heres the 19mms installed.

Megatron63
09-09-2015, 01:45 AM
Hello, everyone! Just bought the ASUS G751JL yesterday from Best Buy and I'm pretty pleased, so far. Prior to that, I bought the GL771J - but hated the dark keyboard, side exhaust fan, and lack of touch-screen. Anyway, my wife stopped me from returning the GL771J and laid claim to it ("where's MY gaming laptop?). Okay, I have a dumb question coming from a non-typer - HOW do you turn on the NUM Lock key on the G751JL? I tried pressing the shift key, alt key, and ctrl key... but, nothing! Help a lost gamer, will ya?

Update: Never mind - I figured out it was the fn key + num lock!

aeolisio
09-09-2015, 03:24 AM
Hello, everyone! Just bought the ASUS G751JL yesterday from Best Buy and I'm pretty pleased, so far. Prior to that, I bought the GL771J - but hated the dark keyboard, side exhaust fan, and lack of touch-screen. Anyway, my wife stopped me from returning the GL771J and laid claim to it ("where's MY gaming laptop?). Okay, I have a dumb question coming from a non-typer - HOW do you turn on the NUM Lock key on the G751JL? I tried pressing the shift key, alt key, and ctrl key... but, nothing! Help a lost gamer, will ya?

Update: Never mind - I figured out it was the fn key + num lock!

Congrats on your purchase. The g751 is far superior to the 771 but be aware we are a few months away from a g752 not that theres anything wrong with a g751 i just wanted to make you aware so you dont have buyers remorse later when you cant return it. Some great upgrades for the g751 are g skill 2133 ram and a pcie SM951 when/if you want to go down that route. Cooling pads are not necessary but i use one myself and most cases wont fit but the asus rog 17+ backpacks work well. Please do a search before you make a new thread most questions have been answered elsewhere.

Tobi94
09-10-2015, 10:09 PM
Since I didn't want to open a new thread for this matter I thought this existing one would be suitable. I am gonna buy the G751 JY soon as it just seems to be the best option for that price range. I read about these sound issues, ips glow (which is obviously common in these kind of panels) and i am wondering to what severity this "issues" can be seen and if i need to spend some time fixing certain stuff before I can actually use this product.

toronto699
09-10-2015, 10:40 PM
I have 2 G751JY-DH72X I have no issues , the audio should already be fixed in a new unit it was a driver issue , as for the ips glow my two G751jy are perfect, Great Machines Very Happy and if there are ever an issue many good people here to help u out

aeolisio
09-10-2015, 11:29 PM
Since I didn't want to open a new thread for this matter I thought this existing one would be suitable. I am gonna buy the G751 JY soon as it just seems to be the best option for that price range. I read about these sound issues, ips glow (which is obviously common in these kind of panels) and i am wondering to what severity this "issues" can be seen and if i need to spend some time fixing certain stuff before I can actually use this product.
We have over 30 g751s at the office none of which have any problems that were not solved by updating drivers. Be aware the g752 is coming out in a few months and the g751 will probably drop in price then so you may want to wait.

Tobi94
09-11-2015, 02:10 AM
Thanks for the replies! I appreciate them. Speaking of drivers/updates would I get a g751 jy with the latest bios already installed if i purchase one now or do I have to take care of that by myself? Even with Asus' bios update tool which seems to make this whole process easier there is still a slight chance of failure isn't it?

toronto699
09-11-2015, 02:37 AM
I would think at this time of year u would get the most recent bios, depends on manufacture date of unit , G751 is almost year old now fewer and fewer updates , stable laptop , bios is easy to update u should not have any issue. when time comes before loading drivers etc u can always ask here in this forum for step my step instructions someone in the asus forum will help u for sure.

aeolisio
09-11-2015, 02:59 AM
Thanks for the replies! I appreciate them. Speaking of drivers/updates would I get a g751 jy with the latest bios already installed if i purchase one now or do I have to take care of that by myself? Even with Asus' bios update tool which seems to make this whole process easier there is still a slight chance of failure isn't it?
You will probably have to do a few yourself like the 209 bios it can take weeks to months from production to being shipped to stores or customers online. Use the winflash tool and you shouldnt have a problem.

Tobi94
09-18-2015, 10:13 PM
I am exspecting my unit to be delivered by tomorrow or Monday and then will have a look on my own if it is worth to buy such a laptop for gaming. Although I am becoming increasingly more concerned about issues concerning heat development which would require me to perform actual changes on the cpu (speaking of undervolting) which would not make me feel really comfortable since I exspect a somewhat working cooling system when paying a decent amount of money.

Nevertheless I am excited to see how it will perform :p

aeolisio
09-18-2015, 10:27 PM
I am exspecting my unit to be delivered by tomorrow or Monday and then will have a look on my own if it is worth to buy such a laptop for gaming. Although I am becoming increasingly more concerned about issues concerning heat development which would require me to perform actual changes on the cpu (speaking of undervolting) which would not make me feel really comfortable since I exspect a somewhat working cooling system when paying a decent amount of money.

Nevertheless I am excited to see how it will perform :p
You have been confused by posts about other models. The g751 has no heat issues at all. The 551 and 771 are more compact versions that have thermal issues under heavy load.

Tobi94
09-20-2015, 01:58 PM
Okay so I got my unit yesterday and already did some testing in terms of certain games while monitoring the loads and temps. So far I am pretty impressed. The GPU itself barely goes over 60 Degrees whereas the CPU did not exceed 70 Degrees. I did not play for several hours now which I probably will do in the following days but considering these stats are from a laptop I have to say I am really satisfied so far. The only real issue I have come across is that whenever I hit the play-button on a youtube video or want to launch a game on steam I hear a slight crackle sound (I am using headphones). I updated to the latest RealTek audio driver but the problem still persists. I read about similiar issues here but from what I saw this mainly involved the built-in speakers which I never really use.

Is there a fix for this when using headphones or is there even potentially something wrong with my unit? During gaming I did not notice this crackle until I played Hitman Absolution where it would occur a few times in missions.

bululu
11-25-2015, 04:08 AM
Tobi94, did you disable the NVIDIA Sound devices in the device manager?

BobbyDooval
12-02-2015, 03:38 PM
Hi everyone. Newbie Alert- I have just ordered a ASUS G751JT-T7250H. It comes with a 1TB HD and a 128GB SSD. Can I simply swap the 128GB SSD for a Kingston Digital 480GB SSDNow V300 upgrade kit (using the kit included)? Thanks.

edmak1804
01-15-2016, 02:18 PM
I know you posted this quite awhile ago, im considering getting a G751JYWH71WX, and since I do not need a DVD drive this looks to be an option, but i have a question
When using this caddy, does it literally add an additional hard drive to my computer? (IE: This model has an HDD, and a SDD, would this give me 2x HDD and an SDD?)

Julskey
01-16-2016, 01:17 AM
If you swap the optical drive for an ssd or hdd, then you have option for 3 hdd/2.5ssd plus one m.2 ssd assuming you install the 3d printed ssd caddy already discussed in this forum.

Jon G
01-16-2016, 05:57 PM
On the G751 series the 2nd Drive bay only has SATA 2 port and the option to remove DVD/CD tray using a 2.5" drive caddy connects to an SATA 1 port. Seems like a waste to use 2.5" SATA 3 SSD's attached to those last two ports.

TriSarme
02-12-2016, 07:57 AM
Can anyone advise me on how to properly install an SSD alongside a HDD? I currently have the 1TB that came with JT Model, and Samsung EVO. I installed the EVO into the left bay because of the SATA 3 - if I understood correctly, only the left bay has it, and it's much faster then SATA 2 on the right bay. The problem is the 2nd caddy doesn't fit well with the HDD, basically just the caddy is screwed, and the HDD is not secured firmly, and I fear it might cause problems.

Is there a different caddy I could buy or something, or maybe install the HDD instead of optical drive, from what I gather it won't affect its' speed?

(And yes, I googled, but couldn't find anytihing.)

TriSarme
02-16-2016, 10:21 AM
Really, no one? I can't be the only one with this issue :(

jvinton206
03-16-2016, 05:32 PM
Is this still a problem? Probably not after 5 months.

MrRuckus
03-16-2016, 05:53 PM
If I remember right, I used a nerf bullet with the plastic cone chopped off for securing my SSD in one of the HDD trays in my G750. Honestly as long as you get something to hold the SSD secure against the sata port, thats all you need. Just something to fill the gap and allow the lid to screw back on. Normally the laptop should never really be jarred or thrown around where it could be a problem. Even a piece of cut Styrofoam should do the trick just fine. This was never an issue for the way I had mine hooked up and it was that way for a couple years before I sold it.

duongthienz
09-05-2016, 06:36 AM
I just bought a G751JT-CH71 laptop and almost maxed out my hard drive. I just want another HDD because i dont have any intention to use SSD. Im thinking of getting this:
https://www.amazon.com/HGST-Travelstar-2-5-Inch-Internal-0J22423/dp/B00B4QESVQ/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1473056025&sr=8-4&keywords=hgst#Ask
Do you guys think it will work?