PDA

View Full Version : G750JZ Hard Drive Partitioning

EagleJoust
10-21-2014, 03:02 AM
Just got the JZ and just want to confirm the hard drive partitioning (since it seems odd to me:
C: Half of 256 GB Solid-state drive - I guess meant for just operating system and other programs
D: Half of 1TB 7200 HD
E: Half of 1TB 7200 HD
F: Half of 256 GB Solid-state drive - for games?

I think I would have just preferred C: all 256GB SSD and D: 1 TB Hard Drive

Darnassus
10-21-2014, 04:30 AM
Right click My Computer, Manage, Disk Management and find your disks. Right click delete the second volume ( to the right ) then extend the first volume out to fill the empty space

If your SSD is showing as two wholly different drives then it's a RAID which you need to change somehow else.

Symho
10-21-2014, 10:59 AM
Right click My Computer, Manage, Disk Management and find your disks. Right click delete the second volume ( to the right ) then extend the first volume out to fill the empty space

If your SSD is showing as two wholly different drives then it's a RAID which you need to change somehow else.

Hi Darnassus,

when I delete the second volume the contents in the hardisk will be erased too? Thx!

Darnassus
10-21-2014, 11:39 AM
Hi Darnassus,

when I delete the second volume the contents in the hardisk will be erased too? Thx!

Yes it will. However extending the volume with your data already inside to fill the empty space is 100% fine.

Do a backup if not confident.. something COULD go wrong.

Symho
10-21-2014, 12:32 PM
Yes it will. However extending the volume with your data already inside to fill the empty space is 100% fine.

Do a backup if not confident.. something COULD go wrong.

Thank you!
So if I had understood all data must be saved with backup, not only the data in the second volume (D) but in the first too (C), right?

Darnassus
10-22-2014, 06:25 PM
Thank you!
So if I had understood all data must be saved with backup, not only the data in the second volume (D) but in the first too (C), right?

If you feel inconfident, yes back up the entire drive.

But NO. Only the data in the SECOND Volume which you ate DELETING will lose data.

The FIRST Volume which you EXTEND is 100% fine.

I only say backup the drive, because I do not trust undoing partitions if you have sensitive information. The chance of failure is probably like 0.01% but I just prefer not to take any risk.

hmscott
10-22-2014, 07:26 PM
Just got the JZ and just want to confirm the hard drive partitioning (since it seems odd to me:
C: Half of 256 GB Solid-state drive - I guess meant for just operating system and other programs
D: Half of 1TB 7200 HD
E: Half of 1TB 7200 HD
F: Half of 256 GB Solid-state drive - for games?
I think I would have just preferred C: all 256GB SSD and D: 1 TB Hard Drive

EagleJoust, yeah it's weird isn't it, Asus loves to split drives into 2 mounted partitions, even when it makes the C drive way too small.

The first thing to do is to get a USB 3.0 16GB flash drive to create a recovery flash drive to use to restore your main drive in case the RAID0 goes bad or merging partitions causes a problem. You can download Asus Backtracker here to create the USB 3.0 16GB Flash drive:

Here is the latest Asus Backtracker for Windows 8.1
http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&m=Backtracker&hashedid=n%2fa

After you have the flash recovery backup you can remove and combine more partitions and get a full size C drive - I did it for my JH.

This is after combining the C and F partitions of the RAID0 and the D and E partitions of the 1TB HDD

And, after deleting the recovery partitions (after making and testing my 16GB Asus Backtracker recovery flash drive)

You will notice the 512GB Samsung 840 Pro replaced my 1TB HDD in the 2nd Bay - and I tested my recovery flash drive against it (pulled my RAID SSD's first!) and I have since removed the partitions and combined the space into 1 partition. The 1TB HDD is now in a USB 3.0 external enclosure.

The 1.1GB space in front of the mounted partition can't be combined, only space after the mounted partition can be absorbed.

As Darnassus says, be sure and backup personal data first before doing the work, and create the Asus Backtracker USB 3.0 16GB Flash recovery drive too :)

Please come back and let us know how it works out :)