PDA

View Full Version : G73jh Memory TIming/Speed issues.

Verdict
10-21-2014, 02:39 PM
I am having the weirdest problem with my G73jh. I have 8GB of ram, one stick, is patriot and not the manufacturer brand but the same speed. Whenever I start from a cold boot, the memory timings in HWiNFO64 show the normal 9-9-9-24 timings.

However, if I restart after starting from a coldboot HWiNFO 64 will then report the timing of 8-9-9-24. I thought this was just a bug but whats also strange is the system 'feels' faster, it could be placebo, but everything loads quicker. Also, windows experience index will actually go from 7.4 to 7.5 when its in this state.

I am running Chastity VBIOS and the 213 Official BIOS.

I am assuming this is some sort of bug within the 213 bios? Why does it go faster after a restart?

I searched the internet and found one other person reporting this a while ago:http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/658838-lf-kingston-2gb-ram-module-g73jh.html#post8472078

Could someone chime in maybe? I know this laptop is a dinosaur now though.

billyray520
10-23-2014, 09:09 PM
I just did a restart after a cold boot and my timing is still 9-9-9-24. I can't say I notice any kind of speed up after a reboot either. I have the same vBios and Bios. My 8 GB of RAM are all original to the machine (4 X 2 GB sticks), and all matched, I presume.

BTW, I don't think these G73jh are dinosaurs (not yet) I am still running a couple of 386 machines, along with a 486, a Pentium 3, Pentium 4, and Core 2 duo. So these Core I-7's are still pretty modern in my book! ;)

I don't know how you are getting 7.4-7.5 Windows WEI. Are you running Windows 7? I get 7.0, and always have been. (SSDs in both bays too.) :confused:

Verdict
10-24-2014, 04:08 PM
I just did a restart after a cold boot and my timing is still 9-9-9-24. I can't say I notice any kind of speed up after a reboot either. I have the same vBios and Bios. My 8 GB of RAM are all original to the machine (4 X 2 GB sticks), and all matched, I presume.

BTW, I don't think these G73jh are dinosaurs (not yet) I am still running a couple of 386 machines, along with a 486, a Pentium 3, Pentium 4, and Core 2 duo. So these Core I-7's are still pretty modern in my book! ;)

I don't know how you are getting 7.4-7.5 Windows WEI. Are you running Windows 7? I get 7.0, and always have been. (SSDs in both bays too.) :confused:

Well, usually people replace PCs in a three year time frame. I am unable to due to finances at this time. I was basing my dinosaur statement on that. Especially with gaming PCs, they start to become obsolete around the 4 year mark or at least have issues playing SOME games.

Also, to clarify the Windows Experience Index score I am talking about is SPECIFICALLY the "Memory calculations per second" adjusting from 7.4 - 7.5. My overall score is 5.9, due to the 5,400 RPM stock HDD. Sorry I wasn't more specific.

Further, when you restart are you watching the timings in HWiNFO64 or another program like CPU-Z? This is only viewed in HWiNFO64 for me. I know that it could be argued it is a bug in the program. However, that wouldn't explain the index changes or the other guy on notebook forums having the same situation..

Lastly, do you run Chastity vBIOS OD or OD2. I had to use OD due to OD2s MD5 not matching.

Thanks!

billyray520
10-24-2014, 08:37 PM
I'm running Hwinfo64 v.4.24 Just did another restart and the memory timing stays the same. I have OD2 vBIOS and BIOS 213, like you. I see what you mean about the WEI now. The main thing that makes me feel like my G73jh is a dinosaur is that it doesn't have USB 3.0! I guess some people replace PCs in 3 yrs. but I need that much time just to get used to a new one! ;) I have Catalyst v. 13.9 so I feel reasonably up to date!

Verdict
10-24-2014, 08:48 PM
I'm running Hwinfo64 v.4.24 Just did another restart and the memory timing stays the same. I have OD2 vBIOS and BIOS 213, like you. I see what you mean about the WEI now. The main thing that makes me feel like my G73jh is a dinosaur is that it doesn't have USB 3.0! I guess some people replace PCs in 3 yrs. but I need that much time just to get used to a new one! ;) I have Catalyst v. 13.9 so I feel reasonably up to date!

14.4 catalyst here. They have 14.9.1 but all of those drivers have a ton of issues atm. Well, I am not sure what makes my system do it.

danielangelov
11-24-2014, 02:42 PM
Can you give me good source for 14.4 catalyst? I have no HDMI sound with the new ones ...