PDA

View Full Version : Just got my G751 980m

DungeonShredder
10-23-2014, 08:52 PM
was spamming all Canadian stores till I saw it up NCIX was first think I had one ordered within a hour of it going up
took 6 days to get to me from Vancouver BC I'm in Owen Sound area Ontario
very nice quiet computer can't say much more than that at the moment.
pretty much just updating drivers and windows.
speakers seem loud and clear.
the location of the record game button is in a very bad spot should never be anything close to the escape button like that.
hope it can be disabled or add a shift click to make it work
a little upset on how cut up the hard drives are.
the 256G ssd is cut into 93gb OS C: drive with a 121gb Data D:
the 1tb drive is cut in half 456gb each.
would like to know where the recovery drive is so I don't destroy it joining everything back up
also waiting on a Pelican 1495 case.

will update when I've played with it more.

hmscott
10-23-2014, 09:57 PM
was spamming all Canadian stores till I saw it up NCIX was first think I had one ordered within a hour of it going up
the location of the record game button is in a very bad spot should never be anything close to the escape button like that.
would like to know where the recovery drive is so I don't destroy it joining everything back up

DungeonShredder, congrats on the new G751JY! :)

So far noone has reported using Asus Backtracker to backup their recovery partition on to a 16GB USB 3.0 flash drive, but that is what you can do to preserve the recovery partition before deleting and combining partitions to get a max sized C partition. Watch the lettering too, my G750JH had the C/F partitions on the RAID0 SSD and D/E partition on the 1TB - make sure you are deleting the correct partition :)

Here is the latest Asus Backtracker for Windows 8.1
http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&m=Backtracker&hashedid=n%2fa

How To Manage Partitions on Windows Without Downloading Any Other Software
http://www.howtogeek.com/101862/how-to-manage-partitions-on-windows-without-downloading-any-other-software/

For protected partitions, which Asus started doing a while ago, you need to use the command line version: First the basic commands, then the full command list, including how to delete a protected partition.

Delete a partition or logical drive
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc738489%28v=ws.10%29.aspx

How to Delete an OEM Partition
http://www.disk-partition.com/blog/how-to-delete-an-oem-partition/

DungeonShredder
10-23-2014, 10:28 PM
thank got to go out and get a usb stick then
Diablo 3 maxed detail 1080p 215 fps with minor tearing guess the screen can't handle over 100fps
locked in 60 fps is fine with me

hmscott
10-23-2014, 11:16 PM
thank got to go out and get a usb stick then
Diablo 3 maxed detail 1080p 215 fps with minor tearing guess the screen can't handle over 100fps
locked in 60 fps is fine with me

DungeonShredder, you can create a custom resolution in the Nvidia Control panel, and some have reported running at 100hz - but there is some ghosting like "burn-in" that disappears after changing the image to another - with some delay. You could try 85hz / 75hz / etc to find the sweet spot - faster refresh with no "burn-in" ghost.

I know it is a pain to suggest this, but it is necessary - at least for now as it is early in the G751 life and there isn't any previous experience that counts yet - you need to test the USB Flash recovery drive with a restore - to make sure it works.

The way I did it in my G750JH was to remove the 2 M.2 SATA SSD's (I numbered/labeled them) and did a restore to the 1TB drive. You have a it a bit easier, you just need to pull the tray with the M.2 PCIE SSD, and restore to the 1TB drive.

That way you know for sure that the recovery flash drive will work - there have been a few reports of people that thought they had successfully created the recovery flash drive with Asus Backtracker only to find out when restoring that the USB drive wasn't compatible and the restore failed - and they had tried to restore to their original drive - and the partitions were blown away during the restore - yipe!

Please come back and let us know how Asus Backtracker works for you, creation and restore :)

You could also use Macrium Reflect to Clone the boot drive - all partitions including the recovery partitions - to another drive as a backup copy - in case Backtracker doesn't work yet.

Macrium Refleect Free
http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

I have heard that Asus Backtracker doesn't come installed on the G751, it might not be supported yet...but download the latest version and give it shot :)

sc00byy
10-24-2014, 12:55 AM
You can just use built in app like "Create a recovery drive" (just search for recovery drive in start menu). I'll create a copy of your recovery partition. Then you will be able to do whatever you want with your drives. Be sure to test your recovery with another drive before whipping it. This method is working just great on my now old G750JY.

hmscott
10-24-2014, 01:26 AM
You can just use built in app like "Create a recovery drive" (just search for recovery drive in start menu). I'll create a copy of your recovery partition. Then you will be able to do whatever you want with your drives. Be sure to test your recovery with another drive before whipping it. This method is working just great on my now old G750JY.

sc00byy, when you made the recovery drive, did you use a flash drive or an HDD? How much space did it use on the backup it created? How large of a flash/HDD drive did you use?

Does it build a bootable flash drive that you can use to restore to a new SSD/HDD, including the recovery partition?

What did you restore to for the test?

How does this method compare to the Asus Backtracker method?

I don't have a recovery partition on my boot drive, recovered the space into my C partition, so when I run it the option to access the recovery partition is greyed out as it should.

Your's is the first attempt that has reported as working, so please give us a step by step to create and restore :)

DungeonShredder
10-24-2014, 02:34 AM
All good still have to hit staples and get a USB drive aiming at a 32 - 64g USB3 so it's not like watching grass grow
I'll try both out. I'll give the custom refresh rate a go as well

hmscott
10-24-2014, 05:44 AM
All good still have to hit staples and get a USB drive aiming at a 32 - 64g USB3 so it's not like watching grass grow
I'll try both out. I'll give the custom refresh rate a go as well

DungeonShredder, FYI - Asus Backtracker only creates at most a 20GB partition for the backup and leaves extra space unformatted - I tried a 32GB / 64GB / 256GB - all the same thing - only used 20GB.

And, it only uses about 14GB of the formatted space, so I go with 16GB USB 3.0 drive - and I spend a little extra for the fastest / newest.

Even with 16GB there is enough room for a 7-zip'd copy of C:\eSupport :)

Richdog
10-24-2014, 07:27 AM
Just to be clear, is it going to potentially affect warranty if I wipe the HD's and install a copy of Windows 7 Pro that I have? As long I do nothing to damage the hardware then everything should be ok, right?

hmscott
10-24-2014, 07:38 AM
Just to be clear, is it going to potentially affect warranty if I wipe the HD's and install a copy of Windows 7 Pro that I have? As long I do nothing to damage the hardware then everything should be ok, right?

Richdog, Asus is a bit picky about supporting the hardware running software it doesn't install and support. Asus doesn't have Windows 7 drivers for download for the G751, and since Windows 7 is nearing end of life, it isn't likely Asus will support Windows 7 on the G751 - but you can ask them.

It isn't that they won't support the warranty, it is that they will install Windows 8.1 on the laptop when they get it in for support.

If you want to install Windows 7, you will be on your own - Asus won't be able to help you unless you run on Windows 8.1 and have the problem there.

You might want to set the Asus OS SSD/HDD aside for hardware support, and use a new SSD/HDD to install/run Windows 7.

If you ask Asus, please come back and let us know what they say :)

DungeonShredder
10-24-2014, 09:29 PM
okay C: drive my ssd has 5 partitions I would like to leave the recovery partions alone and just delete the storage one and merge it with the os drive is this possible without deleting the os? that would give me a 210gb main drive I can live with that.

already deleted the partions on the 1 TB drive and merged them
made a recovery usb stick have yet to test
okay just used administrative tools Deleted the D drive partition
and extended C into it without losing the OS

hmscott
10-24-2014, 10:12 PM
okay C: drive my ssd has 5 partitions I would like to leave the recovery partions alone and just delete the storage one and merge it with the os drive is this possible without deleting the os? that would give me a 210gb main drive I can live with that.

already deleted the partions on the 1 TB drive and merged them
made a recovery usb stick have yet to test
okay just used administrative tools Deleted the D drive partition
and extended C into it without losing the OS

DungeonShredder, looks good :)

I did the same thing the first time, made sure everything was working in steps/stages and then took out the drive and put in a spare SSD to do the restore test, ran from that for a while, and then did it for real again on my RAID0 SSD's.

Richdog
10-28-2014, 12:03 PM
Richdog, Asus is a bit picky about supporting the hardware running software it doesn't install and support. Asus doesn't have Windows 7 drivers for download for the G751, and since Windows 7 is nearing end of life, it isn't likely Asus will support Windows 7 on the G751 - but you can ask them.

It isn't that they won't support the warranty, it is that they will install Windows 8.1 on the laptop when they get it in for support.

If you want to install Windows 7, you will be on your own - Asus won't be able to help you unless you run on Windows 8.1 and have the problem there.

You might want to set the Asus OS SSD/HDD aside for hardware support, and use a new SSD/HDD to install/run Windows 7.

If you ask Asus, please come back and let us know what they say :)

That's actually a logical idea... I will put the HD in a draw safely and go back to it if I ever need to.

Ok so a follow-on question... will I be able to then use the license key from my original ASUS install (which I presume can be found pretty easily via software) to install a fresh copy of the OS? I don't want to screw around cloning and re-partitioning the original drive, I just want to do a 100% fresh install on a new SSD. :)

kronos992
12-09-2014, 01:06 PM

Mind if i ask how the Pelican case is working out for you? I just picked up my G751 and will be deploying over seas early next year, so i'd like to pick up the same case before then, just want to make sure it has enough padding to protect it once you fit it to the laptop.

HulkSmash
12-09-2014, 05:32 PM
DungeonShredder, you can create a custom resolution in the Nvidia Control panel, and some have reported running at 100hz - but there is some ghosting like "burn-in" that disappears after changing the image to another - with some delay. You could try 85hz / 75hz / etc to find the sweet spot - faster refresh with no "burn-in" ghost.

I know it is a pain to suggest this, but it is necessary - at least for now as it is early in the G751 life and there isn't any previous experience that counts yet - you need to test the USB Flash recovery drive with a restore - to make sure it works.

The way I did it in my G750JH was to remove the 2 M.2 SATA SSD's (I numbered/labeled them) and did a restore to the 1TB drive. You have a it a bit easier, you just need to pull the tray with the M.2 PCIE SSD, and restore to the 1TB drive.

That way you know for sure that the recovery flash drive will work - there have been a few reports of people that thought they had successfully created the recovery flash drive with Asus Backtracker only to find out when restoring that the USB drive wasn't compatible and the restore failed - and they had tried to restore to their original drive - and the partitions were blown away during the restore - yipe!

Please come back and let us know how Asus Backtracker works for you, creation and restore :)

You could also use Macrium Reflect to Clone the boot drive - all partitions including the recovery partitions - to another drive as a backup copy - in case Backtracker doesn't work yet.

Macrium Refleect Free
http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

I have heard that Asus Backtracker doesn't come installed on the G751, it might not be supported yet...but download the latest version and give it shot :)

Hey hmscott, I heard that switching the refresh rate might damage the screen. I don't know if that is a myth or not, but I did want to try creating a custom refresh rate, just didn't do it because I heard that. Is it 100% safe?

hmscott
12-13-2014, 04:32 AM
Hey hmscott, I heard that switching the refresh rate might damage the screen. I don't know if that is a myth or not, but I did want to try creating a custom refresh rate, just didn't do it because I heard that. Is it 100% safe?

HulkSmash, someone with a registered G751JT/JY should pose the question to Asus, as I did for the G750 series and the ChiMei panel. For my question about the ChiMei, Asus said it was ok to set the refresh between 60hz-100hz, and that I could do it long term. There were a few back and forth emails, but there is the main question restarted/asked again, and the response:

ASUS CASEID=RWTM20130722XXXXX Please click here if you wish to reply this mail!
Dear hmscott,,

Thank you for contacting ASUS Customer Service.
My name is XXXX and it is my pleasure to help you with your problem.

For the first question, it is OK to set the rate at 60-100hz.But you may feel the screen is flashing.

For the second one, it won't be negative for your laptop.Acturally, you can choose any rate among 60-100hz.

For the third one, the refresh rate of 85 means the image is refreshed 85 times in a second.

Welcome to refer Troubleshooting & FAQ for ASUS products in ASUS website:
http://support.asus.com/servicehome.aspx?SLanguage=en

If you continue to experience issues in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us.

An email survey will be sent to you within the next 5 days. Please be sure to rate the service I provided to you today.

Best Regards,
XXXX
ASUS Product Support Team
812-282-2787

DISCLAIMER - All statements, written, illustrated -graphics or any type of content/information present within these emails (s) are considered "off the record"/ confidential and not for publication. All information contained is direct privileged communication between the sender and recipient.
This content cannot be posted, used, copied or replicated in any way without direct consent from the sender.

If you are not the intended recipient, you may not review, copy, or distribute this message. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by e-mail and delete the original message.

---------- Original Message ----------
Sent : 2013/7/22 15:58:13
To : "techsupport@asus.com"
Subject : Re:Re:Re:Re:<TSD> Notebook G750JW [ID=RWTM20130722XXXXX]

[CASEID=WTM20130722XXXXX]

HI XXXX, thanks for the reply, no problem about the earlier mix up, I assume you deal
with hundreds of emails a day :-)

1) I would still like to know if it is ok to set the refresh rate at 85hz, 90hz, or 100hz, as
the image display and the motion in graphics programs improves.

2) Is there anything negative about doing it? Will it generate too much heat in
components, etc. I realize the default setting is 60hz, but since it is possible to set
higher, and it looks better, I would like to set it higher than 60hz. I also realize this
isn't a 120hz supporting panel, but it works up to 100hz.

3) Will the LCD panel electronics update the LCD faster than 60hz. If I set it to 85hz
is it updating 15 times more per second than at 60hz?

If you can forward this on to an engineer familiar with the design / operation I will be
happy to wait for the answer. If you are that person, please let me know :-)

Thanks XXXX!, Scott
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With an IPS display the refresh increase has side effects on persistence and burn-in so it is a valid question for the G751 IPS vs the G750 TN ChiMei.

If you or someone else asks Asus, please post their final response, it took me several emails before I got someone that could get an answer together. :)