PDA

View Full Version : RamDIsk help

Brighttail
10-24-2014, 04:59 AM
Hey all,

So I see this wonderful "new" feature (okay not so new) called Ram disk. I have some knowledge of what it is supposed to accomplish and have looked it up a bit using the old google resource.

I have dual SSD in raid 1 format handling my games and was wondering if there would be any discernible different from running it normally or setting up a Ramdisk partition of 6gigs or so (i have 16) for my games like ESO / Starcraft II / Everquest 2?

I know how to create a Ramdisk partition but have no idea how i would point my games to it if this indeed would increase performance. So is it worth it or is it just a flashy, not needed item?

jab383
10-24-2014, 04:43 PM
The ROG RamDisk can create junction points whereby the data/programs/etc in a disk folder is all copied to the RamDisk, then any reference to the disk folder is handled by the RamDisk. RamDisk also backs up its contents and restores them at reboot. Junction points may be a convenient way to set up access to your games.

I have used it in that way for several purposes. Two examples: ROG Realbench runs a little faster from RamDisk; Photoshop handles hundreds of photos through several steps of processing much faster than from HDD.

Performance increase depends on how much the disk used in the process. A program like Realbench that loads data into RAM then crunches on it will only speed up the disk access. Photoshop uses lots of those in transferring between programs for various steps of processing. YMMV.

Hope this helps

Jeff

Dr. Zchivago
10-24-2014, 05:28 PM
My experience with games like ESO, BF4, WoW, CS:GO, and Skyrim has been that there is no distinct improvement with games loaded to RAMDisk instead of my SSD. I don't do A/V editing, so I can't speak to that. I also have seen no discernible improvement having Realbench run from the RAMDisk over SSD (I have tested MANY times).

What I will say (I use DataRAM RAMDrive, not ROG RAMDisk) is that with my Windows/software/web browser caching directed entirely to the RAM Disk, the system, as a whole, feels MUCH faster. I also have a base boot-image of necessary temp files that is loaded to the RAM Disk at start-up, and so all cached files are lost at each power cycle - but, all web-based and software related load times do not suffer in any way that I have noticed. The benefit is that I cut down on writes to my SSD.

Ultimately, I can say with certainty that, as long as peripheral interface (SATA, IDE, whatever) cannot compete with RAM speeds, I will always have a RAM Disk partition for temp files, at least. Mine is 6 GB now, but that's because I also have all downloads sent to a folder in the RAM Disk too. For Windows/browser/software caching, no more than 2 GB would really be necessary right now.

Z

Brighttail
10-26-2014, 09:01 PM
Hi there,

Thanks for the reply. I kinda figured that I wouldn't see much performance difference in my games, except maybe with loading times so that is fine. I really like what you did with the cache/temp files and would like to mirror this. So how to do it?

Obviously I have to create the Ram Disk Partition.. it will be given a drive letter like 'R'. So how do you set a juncture point? Do i have to go into a program like Firefox and set it where all cache goes to drive: R ? Same with temp files? I would definitely want to set it that on reboot it would save this material.

jab383
10-27-2014, 03:34 PM
ROG RamDisk GUI has a tab for setting its associations by junction point. It does all the work, including save and restore at boot. Note that shutdown has to be normal for the backup to be saved. When I crash an overclock, the benchmark in ramdrive isn't saved. I suggest reading the doc, installing and trying it.

Jeff

Brighttail
11-05-2014, 07:03 PM
Thank you very much!