PDA

View Full Version : Considering buying an ASUS G751JY but had a bad experience with ROG G750JX :(

ddnoc
10-24-2014, 04:45 PM
Hey guys,

My current Asus (g750 jx) had some problems and I am currently waiting to get a refund for it.

After submitting an rma for my Asus G750jx they couldn't fix it and took 3 attempts at replacing the motherboard which didn't solve the problem (It is 49 days old and bought it on September 5th of this year). I am now considering buying an MSI laptop because I am afraid of the issues I may have if I buy another Asus.. I know not everyone has had a bad experience with their ROG models but I haven't had a good experience with Asus service in Canada.

I use this computer mostly for work using applications like autocad and 3d software, as well as some minor gaming on my free time (This is my first gaming laptop so I don't know what games I will end up playing).

I have been considering these two models that I have been looking at and was wondering what all you guys think, this Asus is really tempting but I'm not sure if I should go for it or get the MSI I have been looking at.

Here are the models:

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=710_577_1199&item_id=075938

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=710_577_1199&item_id=075999

I have an after market ssd and both these models are capable of having 2 hard drives so I am not worried about space issues if I get the MSI.

Thanks a lot to everyone for helping me and using your time in advance I appreciate the help because I am torn between the two. Sorry If this isn't the right place to be posting this I'm new to this forum, I posted in the general discussion but thought it would be better here.

hmscott
10-24-2014, 08:34 PM
Hey guys,

My current Asus (g750 jx) had some problems and I am currently waiting to get a refund for it.

After submitting an rma for my Asus G750jx they couldn't fix it and took 3 attempts at replacing the motherboard which didn't solve the problem (It is 49 days old and bought it on September 5th of this year). I am now considering buying an MSI laptop because I am afraid of the issues I may have if I buy another Asus.. I know not everyone has had a bad experience with their ROG models but I haven't had a good experience with Asus service in Canada.

I use this computer mostly for work using applications like autocad and 3d software, as well as some minor gaming on my free time (This is my first gaming laptop so I don't know what games I will end up playing).

I have been considering these two models that I have been looking at and was wondering what all you guys think, this Asus is really tempting but I'm not sure if I should go for it or get the MSI I have been looking at.

Here are the models:

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=710_577_1199&item_id=075938

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=710_577_1199&item_id=075999

I have an after market ssd and both these models are capable of having 2 hard drives so I am not worried about space issues if I get the MSI.

Thanks a lot to everyone for helping me and using your time in advance I appreciate the help because I am torn between the two. Sorry If this isn't the right place to be posting this I'm new to this forum, I posted in the general discussion but thought it would be better here.

ddnoc, it isn't really a fair component comparison, the MSI is a 970m and the Asus is a 980m, you really need to compare like configurations - even if one comes out costing more at one vendor - then find a vendor with the best deal for each laptop, and then compare the prices.

If you had a bad experience with Asus, then it might be time to try MSI. Both are good laptops, and both have about equal chance of turning up a lemon.

There haven't been enough deliveries of either to register a trend of failures/ successes. But, I haven't heard of a bad one yet for either brand.

If it was me I would go with the Asus, but I have had 5 good ones in a row, so I am of a clear mind in my choice.

You need to consider the possibility of branching out and experiencing more options. I liked my MSI, it was too noisy for me and the BIOS didn't support enabling VM options at the time, so I had to return it, but otherwise it functioned ok.

I am much happier with my G750JH now, and my G750JW then - the MSI came out first with Haswell / 965m and it was first available by a month or so, and an easy choice over the Lenovo at the time.

Please come back and let us know what you end up getting :)

ddnoc
11-07-2014, 01:25 PM
I have sent my laptop into square trade to be repaired, I have been without it since October 14th (2014) and am still waiting for them to let me know if it can be fixed or if I will be given my money back.

If I get my money back I would be willing to try another asus (preferably a higher model) around 2100-2400 Cad$ comparable to the MSI I was considering the ASUS G751JY

Does anyone know someone I can contact from asus? My laptop has been in repair longer then I have even owned it for..

hmscott
11-07-2014, 10:05 PM
I have sent my laptop into square trade to be repaired, I have been without it since October 14th (2014) and am still waiting for them to let me know if it can be fixed or if I will be given my money back.

If I get my money back I would be willing to try another asus (preferably a higher model) around 2100-2400 Cad$ comparable to the MSI I was considering the ASUS G751JY

Does anyone know someone I can contact from asus? My laptop has been in repair longer then I have even owned it for..

ddnoc, Square Trade isn't Asus, and I don't know how Square Trade operates, but 1 month sounds like a good time to escalate your case at Square Trade and ask them to refund your money - most places like that have a "timeout/max time to repair" limit that once reached you can request a refund.

Did you order through Amazon, that is where I have used Square Trade before for my Kindle's. For the 1 replacement I had to get from them it took 3 days.

Square Trade is supposed to fix your laptop, not send it to Asus:

http://www.squaretrade.com/laptop-warranty

"5-Day Service Guarantee & Free Shipping We’ll repair your item in five business days or less after we’ve received it, guaranteed. We'll also pay for shipping to and from our repair center."

And, they have a 5 day guarantee. I think you have a good case to get your refund now.

If Square Trade is telling you the laptop is in repair at Asus then ask Square Trade for the identifying info - repair case number - or whatever they call it, so you can contact Asus directly, but only do this if Square Trade refuses to refund your money.

Then file a Technical Inquiry with Asus and that info from Square Trade to identify your repair case inside Asus.

https://vip.asus.com <== create a login, register your laptop (your receipt / paperwork / email of sale should show the serial number), and file a Technical Inquiry stating the problem and asking for an ETA for repair and what they are waiting to get to complete the repair.

But, I don't think Asus is supposed to be involved in Square Trade warranty repair.

Asus warranty is concurrent with the Square Trade warranty, and if you wanted it fixed rather than refunded, I would have sent it to Asus first for repair if the Asus 1 or 2 year warranty was still in effect... good to know for next time :)

Please come back and let us know how it works out :)

ddnoc
11-07-2014, 10:41 PM
I have brought it into asus first and they tried to fix it with 3 different motherboards and couldn't so after a 2 week period I picked it up and sent it to square trade to get a refund but they insist that they can fix it and need to look at it before giving me my money back. As far as I know the guy today told me if they dont have parts for it they will let me know monday if I will be getting a refund or not.

I have never had a problem with asus before and I have 3 computers from them and a monitor and am happy with them.

I am just worried about buying another one and this happening although I know that its a small chance and that its unpredictable.

hmscott
11-08-2014, 12:56 AM
I have brought it into asus first and they tried to fix it with 3 different motherboards and couldn't so after a 2 week period I picked it up and sent it to square trade to get a refund but they insist that they can fix it and need to look at it before giving me my money back. As far as I know the guy today told me if they dont have parts for it they will let me know monday if I will be getting a refund or not.

I have never had a problem with asus before and I have 3 computers from them and a monitor and am happy with them.

I am just worried about buying another one and this happening although I know that its a small chance and that its unpredictable.

ddnoc, what is the problem Asus and SquareTrade are trying to fix?

After that many repair failures Asus should have offered to replace the laptop with a refurb of the same or upgraded model, but maybe they did and you decided to opt for the refund from SquareTrade?

Maybe escalate up, call in and ask for a manager as your service from SquareTrade is currently unacceptable, they are not meeting their promise for 5 day resolution, and it has now gone to far and you need a refund and no more time wasting.

I have had 7 Asus ROG laptops, and only the first, a G2S developed a fault in the GPU board and it was replaced and returned to me in 3 days. But, as you have found a failure to solve is another issue for both support solution providers - it may be confusing things with the 2 providers - maybe next time find and purchase the Asus 2/3 year extended warranty - you don't have to purchase it from the seller, you can get it from any Asus dealer that offers it as a separate item.

If SquareTrade isn't coming through, and you purchased from Amazon, try digging up your order info online at Amazon, and complain to Amazon using the SquareTrade purchase order info that they aren't meeting their promises and have Amazon intercede.

For the Kindle the Amazon Kindle support negotiated the replacement from SquareTrade - I didn't even need to deal with Square Trade directly. This is sounding like your best choice, if not Amazon then the seller that sold you the laptop and the SquareTrade coverage.