PDA

View Full Version : G750JW having issues merging unallocated drives

vinhdiezel
10-25-2014, 03:25 AM
I just upgraded my laptop with a SSD and tried using my 1tb hdd for mass storage and the issue I'm having right now is trying to get all of that 930gb worth of hdd space back together! This is a picture of how it looks and the message I'm getting when trying to extend the partition. Any help would be appreciated. For some reason when I use the ASUS backtracker program to recover both my HDD and SSD it seems to always split into 2 partitions and with my SSD it was easy to merge the 2 partitions but impossible to do on my 1tb HDD which I'm trying to use as mass storage for games.

http://i58.tinypic.com/xm0i0h.jpg

vinhdiezel
10-25-2014, 04:07 AM
Well I seemed to have fixed the problem myself by using a program called Aomei Dynamic Disk Manager convert that 1tb hdd from Dynamic Disk to Basic Disk and so I restarted. Once I restarted I ran Disk Management again and was finally able to delete volume and create a new volume with all of my space in one.

hmscott
10-25-2014, 04:21 AM
Well I seemed to have fixed the problem myself by using a program called Aomei Dynamic Disk Manager convert that 1tb hdd from Dynamic Disk to Basic Disk and so I restarted. Once I restarted I ran Disk Management again and was finally able to delete volume and create a new volume with all of my space in one.

vinhdiezel, looking at both drives partitioning, they are both set up as boot drives. If you are booted on Disk 1, and you are combining partitions on Disk 0, you actually should just reformat Disk 0 and use all the 1TB as 1 volume.

Questions?

GottiBoi55
10-26-2014, 12:47 AM

Why did you change your factory drive from "basic to Dynamic Disk" in the first place?
I can see you was trying to keep the "Recovery Partition" in place on the factory installed HDD.
But if you made the 'BackTracker USB" already you can wipe the drive clean.
I agree with using a partition dedicated for game installs, today's games take up way too much valuable SSD space on a small SSD setup.

vinhdiezel
10-26-2014, 04:17 AM
vinhdiezel, looking at both drives partitioning, they are both set up as boot drives. If you are booted on Disk 1, and you are combining partitions on Disk 0, you actually should just reformat Disk 0 and use all the 1TB as 1 volume.

Questions?

That was my intentions hmscott :), all is well now that I was able to revert Disk 0 from Dynamic back to Basic.

This is what Disk Management looks like now.
http://i59.tinypic.com/m8k588.png

vinhdiezel
10-26-2014, 04:21 AM
Why did you change your factory drive from "basic to Dynamic Disk" in the first place?
I can see you was trying to keep the "Recovery Partition" in place on the factory installed HDD.
But if you made the 'BackTracker USB" already you can wipe the drive clean.
I agree with using a partition dedicated for game installs, today's games take up way too much valuable SSD space on a small SSD setup.

The change on Disk 0 from Dynamic Disk is already there when I had finished my recovery with the SSD and plugged the HDD back in on the 2nd bay. My intentions was to wipe the 1tb hdd of all recovery partitions since like you already mentioned, I already have the backup USB made via ASUS backtracker.

hmscott
10-26-2014, 04:37 AM
That was my intentions hmscott :), all is well now that I was able to revert Disk 0 from Dynamic back to Basic.

This is what Disk Management looks like now.

vinhdiezel, that looks nice.

Now that you have tested the flash recovery restore against the 1TB, you can delete the 2 partitions to the right of the C partition, and get all that extra space for game installs :)

vinhdiezel
10-26-2014, 04:56 AM
How would I go about doing that with disk management? Or would I need to download a different software to remove those 2 partitions to the right of C partition? Any suggestions? :)

hmscott
10-26-2014, 05:19 AM
How would I go about doing that with disk management? Or would I need to download a different software to remove those 2 partitions to the right of C partition? Any suggestions? :)

vinhdiezel, Windows provides the software already. You use an Admin CMD shell to run diskpart using the override option.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc730824.aspx

I gave a detailed answer with an example you can reference for deleting protected partitions here:

Anyone knows how to merge C & D disk/drive into one?
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?51245-Anyone-knows-how-to-merge-C-amp-D-disk-drive-into-one&p=433539&viewfull=1#post433539

vinhdiezel
10-26-2014, 07:54 AM
vinhdiezel, Windows provides the software already. You use an Admin CMD shell to run diskpart using the override option.

technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc730824.aspx

I gave a detailed answer with an example you can reference for deleting protected partitions here:

Anyone knows how to merge C & D disk/drive into one?
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?51245-Anyone-knows-how-to-merge-C-amp-D-disk-drive-into-one&p=433539&viewfull=1#post433539

Thanks hmscott! I have extra 20gb of unallocated space added ro my 217gb space which is now 237gb :) I just hope nothing ever happens to my USB or I'm screwed lol.

GottiBoi55
10-26-2014, 08:18 PM
Well, looks like you have all under control now.
Good thing you worked it out, good job!

BTW: I have my 1TB HDD setup with two partitions, one partition is strictly for game installs, and the second partition for Data.

hmscott
10-26-2014, 08:28 PM
Thanks hmscott! I have extra 20gb of unallocated space added ro my 217gb space which is now 237gb :) I just hope nothing ever happens to my USB or I'm screwed lol.

vinhdiezel, I keep my flash recovery drive taped to the inside of my G750JH box so it won't walk away :)