PDA

View Full Version : P9X79 : drivers, Win 8.1 and Asus drivers download page

mach128x
10-26-2014, 09:36 PM
Gents,

First and foremost this is on a perfectly fine P9X79 Pro running Win 8.1 Pro x64 (was on W7 before). Oh and I love Asus hardware; Asus mobos are my go-to. Now that being said...

Your drivers packages are a mess, Asus.

The issues I'm having concerns the drivers that I'm getting from Asus (no issues with those I get straight from Realtek & Intel) :

Atheros AR3011 Bluetooth

ASMedia USB 3.0 Controller

ASMedia ASM1061 SATA Controller

Marvell 88SE9128 SATA Controller

First of, it had been a while since I last visited the driver download pages, but boy, are they a complete mess!!
Some drivers can be found under Win 8, some under Win 8.1 ; same hardware device has different driver versions depending if you're looking on the basic P9X79 driver page, the Pro's, Deluxe's or the WS'.

After spending some time searching for the latest of everything, I ran into further issues when time came to install.
The executable setup in the driver packages (AsusSetup.exe) doesn't always work.
For example :
- The ASMedia SATA setup fails with "Error: Path 'C:\Program Files (x86)\ASM106xSATA\Driver' not found. DPInst.exe [...] ". I had to manually install it through Device Manager.
- The Marvell 9128 setup runs, but after reboot the Device Manager shows that it's still using Microsoft's own storahci.sys (a.k.a "Standard SATA AHCI Controller"). I found the driver files in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Marvell" so I tried the manual install route again; it finds the driver but fails to install it.
- The Artheros Bluetooth setup just does nothing. It launches but that's all, no GUI, no popup, no nothing. Device Manager still has it as an "Unknown Device". No manual install possible since I don't have the actual driver files.

This is the first system I built to ever have issues with drivers installation. I have been able to download and install drivers from Asus without problems in past years.

Asus, please point me to driver packages that work for the Marvell 9128 and Artheros bluetooth.
And please, please, get your drivers download system back in order.

Thanks

BTW, wouldn't it make everyone's life easier, including Asus employees whose job is to update all those many individual mobo driver download pages, to just have one driver page per mobo family with all the variations (LE, LX, PRO, Deluxe whatnot) side by side in a nice table and pointing to the very same zip files cause in the end they all use the same devices ? Right now each mobo version seems to be updated independently, and as we see it's a complete time-consuming mess.

toronto699
10-26-2014, 10:53 PM
its the same for everything asus , out dated drivers , drivers available for W7 but not W8 even though the driver is for W7 and W8 asus cant get its act together. ive never seen anything like the asus driver mess . how do they stay in business , look at the support costs this must have. I guess it keeps people employed that's a good thing

mach128x
10-29-2014, 10:20 PM
Mods,
I just read the New Software Forum sticky (should've done this beforehand).
Accordingly, I would suggest that thread be moved over to the TUF and ASUS Motherboards [Intel] forum please.
Thanks in advance !!

mach128x
10-31-2014, 02:52 AM
After some more digging I found something of interest on the P9X79-E WS drivers page.
Under the SATA branch there's this file : RAID_VER20140224.zip (2014/03/14).

1- Marvell 88SE9128 SATA 6G Controller
I successfully installed the driver found in the subfolder : RAID_VER20140224.zip\RAID_VER20140224\Marvell\Driv er\Disk\amd64\
Driver details :

mvs91xx.sys v1.2.0.1032
mvxxmm.sys v1.0.0.1202
mv91xxm.dll v1.0.0.2

Note : the setup exe inside the archive, 'RAID_VER20140224\RAID_VER20140224\Marvell_Win81\A susSetup.exe' DOES NOT WORK. I got the same error as the previous versions of the driver sourced from Asus.

2- Asmedia 106x SATA Controller

I successfully installed the driver found in the subfolder : RAID_VER20140224.zip\RAID_VER20140224\ASM\Win81\Dr iver\scsi\amd64\
Dirver details:

ahcipp64.dll v1.0.0.1
asahci64.sys v2.0.1.916