PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Speed Available

Greatwhitewing
10-27-2014, 08:51 PM
Not knowing a lot about the various 802 revs/versions what's a realistic "best case" wireless download speed for a g750JM? I have the Broadcomm adapter.

I mean by best case is if there is an adequately fast wireless router in very close proximity. I know distance and traffic has an impact. What's the best speed I can reasonable expect on a consistent basis?

My internet provider is upping my speed to 60 MBPS and I get that with a cable connection now but currently I am getting say 12-15 MBPS over my current wireless. Just wondering what I can expect if I get the latest/greatest router. If the absolute best I can get is say only 20 it's not worth it but if 50 is possible might be worth a new router.

My current router is only G, not an N router.

I am using speedtest.net for my testing.

Any recommendations under $100?

Maxter
10-28-2014, 11:31 PM
I'm running a router G as well. If you choose the best wifi channel, you might be able to run at 22 MBPS up and 22 MBPS down. Some new routers have the capacity of going 50/50 or even more (I think the dual bands can). The wifi card in the laptop is compatible with the latest technology. Truth is unless you are always downloading/uploading stuff, you don't really need such high speeds. When you are gaming online, the most important thing is ping, the amount of information transmitted is rather small (1-2 MBPS maybe). Therefore, if you buy the latest router, you'll see faster downloads (big files), but your gaming experience will be the same (provided your routers are configured optimally).

Greatwhitewing
10-29-2014, 08:22 PM
I'm running a router G as well. If you choose the best wifi channel, you might be able to run at 22 MBPS up and 22 MBPS down. Some new routers have the capacity of going 50/50 or even more (I think the dual bands can). The wifi card in the laptop is compatible with the latest technology. Truth is unless you are always downloading/uploading stuff, you don't really need such high speeds. When you are gaming online, the most important thing is ping, the amount of information transmitted is rather small (1-2 MBPS maybe). Therefore, if you buy the latest router, you'll see faster downloads (big files), but your gaming experience will be the same (provided your routers are configured optimally).

I get what you're say Maxter and and probably right. We are sharing some files among "homegroup" computers and that can be slow and clog up regular web browsing. I do download some big files occasionally but not all the time.

I also do some work at home with my laptop workstation, high end CAD work and a faster connection would help there quite a bit. Work puter is HP Z-book with SSD and a very nice Nvidia card. Very comparable to these ROG puters but my programs are really helped with cable like speeds.