PDA

View Full Version : G751 non-replacable battery discussion

aucman
10-30-2014, 11:30 AM
Hi!

So as i am familiar the battery in new rog g751 is not replaceable. I also know that asus did that because it simplifies the design.

but....

If I will spend 2500$ on a laptop i think i will have this laptop at least 4 to 5 years. And even if after that time I do buy new laptop I still want the old one to work normaly.

Are these batteries any better than let say 5 years ago? I bet that after 4 years of constantly charging and recharging the battery will get depleted. So at that point your only chance in this laptop to work is to constantly have it plgued in in AC adpater.

Please somebody enlighten me on this problem.

Sagi
10-30-2014, 08:02 PM
It can be replaced if needed.. Just unscrew it.

Zip1
10-30-2014, 09:40 PM
OK, question; if I remove (unscrew) the battery and place the parts on a shelf (I run from AC most of the time), will the computer operate normally?

hmscott
10-30-2014, 10:14 PM
It can be replaced if needed.. Just unscrew it.

Sagi/aucman, there are screws near the battery area, but we don't know if that will release the battery, you may need to remove the whole bottom cover to get at the battery area. Have you seen a video showing the dis-assembly to access the battery? Please post a link.

We don't know if it is user replaceable yet. We don't know if we can buy a replacement. If the battery dies outside of warranty we don't know if we can get a replacement then either.

hmscott
10-30-2014, 10:20 PM
OK, question; if I remove (unscrew) the battery and place the parts on a shelf (I run from AC most of the time), will the computer operate normally?

Zip1, at this point we are supposed to trust the charging circuit to maintain the battery long term, without removing it. That is likely why Asus made it non-user replaceable as they believe it will work long term without issues.

There is no evidence that supports removing the battery helps prolong it's life. Sitting on the shelf it is discharging, and if left there long enough it can be damaged from not maintaining a charge. It is safer under charging management than sitting on the shelf discharging.

I would be more worried about damaging the laptop during dis-assembly than I would about losing the battery.

If you are worried about the battery, I would a get a longer term support contract, I know I will be getting one from Asus and from the seller.

Joystick
11-01-2014, 05:38 AM
A G751JY on battery mode is like a Ferrari pulled by one horse. If you are worried about the battery, you are buying the wrong notebook.

Sanctrum
11-28-2014, 09:46 PM
The possibility of fast battery removal is ESSENTIAL to save the laptop from any damage in case of accidental flooding (with cola, beer, wine, water, etc.)!!!
My old gaming laptop in its 4 years history has been flooded two times by my wife. Without my fast reaction and battery removal I would end with the bricked unit…
Looks like ASUS wants us to “enjoy” G751 till the first accident with beer :)

Darnassus
11-29-2014, 03:40 AM
My thoughts exactly, Sanctrum.. the moment I heard the battery wasn't removable I instantly thought. 'Well, obviously that's just another future bottleneck and a reason to make us buy a new laptop when the battery dies.'

I totally agree with battery removal being essential, especially when I want to do a hardware reset, which I do near the end of the week to keep my unit conditioned.

When I get my hands on a G751 I'm soooo going to dismantle that thing and look at the battery.

hmscott
11-29-2014, 05:04 AM
Sanctrum/Darnassus, those are all excellent points, which for some reason weren't thought through by Asus. I asked these questions early on, and didn't get much traction.

They feel that if the power switch is off, the laptop power is removed from the motherboard, making it safe for adding/removing RAM/DISK.

They asked why would you want to do a power reset? Why would you want to clear the CMOS, when you can select Restore Defaults from the BIOS.

We need to tell Asus via Technical Inquiries, Feedback, how unworkable a non-removable battery is for an ROG laptop.

The only reason Asus gave for making the battery non-removable was that there wasn't much demand for additional batteries from users. So they thought that meant we weren't taking advantage of the removable battery feature. Asus didn't think we might only want 1 removable battery, but they were wrong.

If they restore the removable battery, I think we should all purchase at least 1 extra battery for it, I buy 1 as a backup in case the first one fails, or I need extended battery time for a trip. I used to get 2 extra for a total of 3 for when I traveled more, but don't really need the extra battery time.

But, I do remove the battery every time I work on it, to remove all power from the laptop.

If you aren't happy about not having a removable battery, let Asus know :)

tului
11-29-2014, 06:51 AM
Bought the JT, would rather the removable. Next model please fix.

peusa
12-18-2014, 08:55 PM
If aren't happy about not having a removable battery, let Asus know :)

I AM PISSED that I've bought this laptop and gave money to ASUS for such disgrace... $3000 and I can't even remove the battery.

dapogz
12-19-2014, 08:24 AM
The possibility of fast battery removal is ESSENTIAL to save the laptop from any damage in case of accidental flooding (with cola, beer, wine, water, etc.)!!!
My old gaming laptop in its 4 years history has been flooded two times by my wife. Without my fast reaction and battery removal I would end with the bricked unit…
Looks like ASUS wants us to “enjoy” G751 till the first accident with beer :)

as Sanctrum was saying, removing the battery to cut any kind of power on the laptop is ESSENTIAL in a case of water accident to avoid any further damage on the laptop,

a non-removal battery is also a good design, which gives more space for other components, better cooling system, but the issue here is not the non-removal component but the non-removal powersource(i dont know how to say it).. i wish they should at least put a mechanical switch to cut any power from the batter in a case of a water flood ;)

my old Dell Vostro also has a non removal battery, but we added a switch to it, because it is prone to being flooded (Clumsy Me), it works fine,

if only i can view on how to dismantle or open it, a video perhaps, i can work my way there.. :o

I also put my laptop on the rice bin when it is flooded just like my phone ;)

NitroX
12-20-2014, 08:26 AM
Dapogz: Yeah, well, rice won't help too much if the water shorts the circuits right the moment they get in contact with the battery. And you also have much better solutions for getting the moisture out of your flooded devices. Check this experiment: https://www.gazelle.com/thehorn/2014/05/06/gazelles-guide-water-damage-truth-rice-galaxy-everything/
As for the battery, I don't really know what to say. I don't usually keep my drinks too close to the laptop... After all it is a very expensive piece of equipment and I don't want to risk anything. So, even if you have a removable battery it is still better and smarter to keep liquids away from your laptop.
On the other hand, I really dislike the fact that ASUS makes 1 step forward with the performance and 2 steps backwards with the design... I would have expected more from this G751 series. I would really like to hear their opinion about the questions people address on this forum.

zsalab22
12-24-2014, 10:41 AM
I generally do not use battery in a laptop in case it is plugged in. When I travel somewhere (maybe once a month), then I can put in the battery. Batteries have a 6 month warranty, and they also do not live forever. The battery of my (old) G75 and (even older) G73 are still in perfect condition. Non replaceable battery will be regularly charged even in case I do not use it!

I guess we will be really angry once the warranty will be over and the battery will die. In this case the laptop will charge the battery constantly, not only increasing power consumption but also a potential fire hazard (!!!).

All together, this is a MAJOR FAILURE for the G751 design and I cannot recommend this laptop to anyone because of this stupid issue - its like buying a timed bomb for your bedroom.

kanecvr
12-26-2014, 09:02 PM
Here is a picture of the battery. It's under the rear plastic cover that houses the two speakers. Replacing it is easy to DIY, but in case of a spill like you guys said, there could be trouble.

Then again I replaced the keyboard on my friend's machine (he spilled on it) and the liquid did not reach inside.

As you can see, you need to remove both the plastic cove behind the LCD AND the palmrest and keyboard assembly, as the battery's cable goes under the LCD and plugs into the mainboard. It's the larger multi colered cable in front of the asus logo, on the top-middle part of the mainboard.

NitroX
12-26-2014, 09:54 PM
@Kanecvr: Wow, dude! You should definitely make a video tutorial on how to dismantle the G751 and maybe change/add memory to the default slots, or how to clean fans and repaste the CPU/GPU.

kanecvr
12-28-2014, 10:07 AM
Well, It didn't cross my mind when I first did it, and I'm not taking mine apart (still has warranty), but if I get another G751 in the shop I'll defensively make a teardown guide and post it.

fabrimacator21
12-31-2014, 01:17 PM
*THREAD HIJACK*do you think it may be possible to upgrade from a 970m to a 980m down the road if needed/wanted?*HIJACK OVER*

redouane
03-13-2015, 03:58 AM
*THREAD HIJACK*do you think it may be possible to upgrade from a 970m to a 980m down the road if needed/wanted?*HIJACK OVER*

Sorry but our main concern right now is battery removal.... Wish that Asus will give us some information about this real issue 😟😟

1337brian
03-13-2015, 06:05 PM
So does dismantling it in this manner automatically void the warranty? Did you notice any stickers etc. when removing the casing?

The reason I ask is there is a loose part inside my case and Asus told me to take it to geek squad to have them open it up. I'm considering a return at this point as my machine is literally 3 days old and already being told to have geek squad disassemble it.

kalkethar
03-31-2015, 08:52 AM
Do the Mashine works correctly without the Battery?

joshindaphils
03-31-2015, 10:31 AM
So does dismantling it in this manner automatically void the warranty? Did you notice any stickers etc. when removing the casing?

The reason I ask is there is a loose part inside my case and Asus told me to take it to geek squad to have them open it up. I'm considering a return at this point as my machine is literally 3 days old and already being told to have geek squad disassemble it.

More discussion arround disassembly here: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?59354-G751JY-Disassembly-Pics

To save you a bit of reading, no there are no stickers / indicators that you have opened up the laptop. So long as you don't mess anything up no one would be the wiser, but DO IT AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Also had a loose bit inside of mine, you very well could of had the same issue as me; the CMOS battery is taped to the motherboard, the tape came undone. If your loose piece is ALWAYS in the same general area (you can check the pics in the above linked thread) Is is likely the CMOS battery, it is only a nuisance as it is all wrapped in heat shrink tubing.

To bring it back on topic there are additional battery pics in my thread as well.

Sanctrum
03-31-2015, 02:34 PM

That's a really good question!

Clintlgm
03-31-2015, 03:34 PM
I wouldn't expect any thing further from Asus on this issue, its working for them for so many different models and types of units. It will be the same as the USB 3.0 left ports, and sound on these gaming notebooks. The vast majority of units and not having issues and complaints pretty much only come from us that use gaming notebooks. The vast majority of users will not even think about the whether the battery is removable or not

seelenamt
05-12-2015, 02:25 AM
I'm thinking of getting the G751JY-DH72X, I was just wondering if the fact the battery hasn't been removable has been a major issue for anyone.

Also, has the battery maintained most of its capacity (I know it's only been a few months, but I might as well ask)

supertoad
05-12-2015, 05:07 PM
I made a tutorial on another website, if you need to disassemble your laptop :o
http://portables4gamers.com/forum/topic/25112-tuto-d%C3%A9monter-compl%C3%A8tement-son-g751/

joshindaphils
05-12-2015, 10:18 PM
I made a tutorial on another website, if you need to disassemble your laptop :o
http://portables4gamers.com/forum/topic/25112-tuto-d%C3%A9monter-compl%C3%A8tement-son-g751/

Looks to be a great guide. Nice work. Any change for a ROG Forum English translation?

supertoad
05-13-2015, 01:17 AM
I can try but i don't speak English very well :/ , and google translations are not perfect .

joshindaphils
05-13-2015, 02:15 AM
I can try but i don't speak English very well :/ , and google translations are not perfect .

Your english seems better than what google translate would do for sure. If you want to send me an English draft I am willing to edit it for you.

Just let me know via PM if you would like to do this and I'll send you my email address.

NitroX
05-13-2015, 07:07 AM
I'm thinking of getting the G751JY-DH72X, I was just wondering if the fact the battery hasn't been removable has been a major issue for anyone.

Also, has the battery maintained most of its capacity (I know it's only been a few months, but I might as well ask)

The fact that the battery isn't removable is not a major issue unless you are going to spill something on your notebook. But seriously now ? I think that avoiding to spill drinks on your laptop should be more important that having the option to remove the battery if you ended up with a coca-cola glass spilled on your keyboard. I saw people that were actually complaining that they won't be able to remove the battery if something spills on your laptop... There might be also an issue with Hibernation+ The non removable battery when you wanna change HDD/DDR or disassemble your unit because it seems that the notebook will remain in a stand-by sort of state. But that is solved quickly by disabling the Fast Boost+Hibernation feature in Windows, or by shutting down the laptop by using Windows Key + X (which will allow a full shutdown of the notebook). Leaving these behind, there are no other disadvantages for using a non-removable battery.

As for the battery wear level, I can say that the battery is conserving very well. I have bought the laptop in December 2014, and since then I have only reached 3-4% battery wear level. In the first 1-2 months the wear level has increased much faster (from 1% to 4%) but for more than 3 months the wear level hasn't changed much. I am constantly keeping the laptop plugged and very rarely I am using it on battery. In fact, this kind of usage might be overkill since I won't actually benefit from that battery capacity anyways if I'm always plugged in to AC power, but I like keeping my electronics in top shape :D.

If you want more info's I am glad to share them with you.
About the

Duder
05-25-2015, 09:34 PM
This is a no go for me. Just another example of ASUS not caring about their customers. These are not bargain bin machines and I'm tired of being treated like they're doing me a favor. Just try and find out which RAM slots are paired. SMMFH

Clintlgm
05-26-2015, 01:05 AM
Well you only have access to two slots, you might deduce from that, that those 2 slots would be paired? Also you could use Hwinfo64 to read your RAM and see which slots are empty. I'm just guessing but most Asus G series notebooks that don't come fully loaded have the 2 slots you can't get to filled and in Hwinfor64 you can clearly see that they are running dual Channel. Maybe they changed something for the G751?

ladylindis
05-28-2015, 04:09 AM
Got the JY as a present from my fiance in march, would have loved the option to remove/ have extras/be able to switch out my battery.

paulb_kw
06-22-2015, 06:32 PM
Posted 06-22-2015

The G751JT battery, it;s removal and replacement.
Took me quite awhile to track down this forum thread.
Got my G751JT about a week ago and learning the battery
is listed by Asus as Non User serviceable was disappointing.

I admire the fact the poster of the tutorial is capable in more
than one language, however, because the text is in French
I am at a duel disadvantage. I cannot speak or understand French
and I’m also visually impaired or what is called, legally blind.

My concern is acquiring the knowledge of the “correct”
method to disassemble and replace the battery in this
pesky G751JT laptop.
Some of the posted photo images are helpful but accompanying
text in English would have made it possible to proceed.

I asked AsusTek to provide that information on another thread in the Asus
forum but from what I’m hearing, I will not hold my breath waiting.
Taking certain electronic items apart ( disaemble) without the correct
method and/or disassembly order can often lead to very unsatisfactory
results including unrecoverable system wide failure.

As I mentioned in my post at:
Http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?55946-G751JT-Battery-Replacement
- If / when word about ROG laptops with non user serviceable batteries, makes it’s way
into the various reviews, what do you think will happen to sales?
That knowledge would have deterred my purchase and sent me looking at other makes and models.

Cheers folks,
Paul - aka paulb_kw or Pkw

sawtoothscream
06-28-2015, 10:29 PM
Should i avoid getting a G751JL-BSI7T28? None replaceable batteries worry me. Spending over a grand and not being able to swap a part that will be dead in a few years bugs me.

Can the batteries be found? are all the ROG models like this? thanks

paulb_kw
07-06-2015, 03:26 PM
If I pay, lets say, $25.00 would the person who made the tutorial "consider"
English text with all those photos. Perhaps mention if the Screws on the
bottom, under the rubber plugs, get removed. If the warranty was expired
and the battery was dead, I was just say "what the f and opener up.
After all, Freedom is just another word, for nothing left to loose.
Cheers, an hope US members had a great 4th of July 2015

miziekp
07-21-2015, 03:52 AM
Asus has some pretty good splash proof design with their laptop.last time, my A43S got a lot of water on it while I was gaming (my roof fly off, it was raining thunderstorm outside) and I quickly dismantle the battery thank to it's good battery placement design. I quickly dismantle the laptop after wiping all the water from my screen and keyboard and I can say all inside parts are still dry. It was the same when my sister accidentally spilled a whole glass of orange juice while she was watching movie with it. So, in any case of emergency, with unremovable battery, I'd say just turn over the laptop quickly and press that power button fast then wipe it dry. But, if you use your laptop for work and gaming, you'll surely experienced a lot of unpluging and plugging your laptop to AC especially when you have to bring your laptop here and there for a brief moment or to your boss' room. Which, in my case, really reduce the battery capacity and life by a lot.

mpgioia
03-13-2016, 02:59 PM
Umm... Ok.. so I've had my G751JY for a year and, like all other batteries.. aka chemistry is horrible.. it has slowly degraded to the point of 45 or 30 minutes runtime..
I don't want to remove it for hard reset or anything.. I want to remove the battery to buy another OEM one .. to get it's life back .. and re-assemble.
Are we saying I can't do that.. as there are no orderable spares (user serviceable) for an OEM G751JY battery ? ... :/

mpgioia
03-13-2016, 03:04 PM
Your english seems better than what google translate would do for sure. If you want to send me an English draft I am willing to edit it for you. Just let me know via PM if you would like to do this and I'll send you my email address.

Did you guys ever work on an english translation.. i'm happy to help...

vesak
05-31-2016, 07:22 AM

G751 works fine without battery! Tested it, no efficiency problems.

zaka2630
07-29-2016, 10:18 AM
I perfectly understand the concern of some people owning a laptop with a non-user serviceable battery. But would you want to sacrifice its entire portability for the sake of constantly being plugged in?
I know this is a gaming laptop and is supposed to be always plugged for a maximized gaming experience, but I'm pretty sure most don't just own it for gaming: There's work, studies and pretty much all stuff requiring the use of the laptop anytime, anywhere.
Just my 2 cents, I was just passing by because this thread came to my search bar (for some reason xD). I'm a proud owner of the GL552VW and the removable battery is... Heaven.

maru321
08-02-2016, 06:27 AM
Good Morning,

So i just discovered this thread last night and translated the guide someone made. I followed every instructions cleary and assembled it again after removing the battery.
The issue for me is after doing this i have an fps drop in dota2 (20 fps drop) and csgo (30fps drop) , I play on both with max settings.

Is there any settings i need to change or did i touch something in the mobo by mistake? also i overclocked my g751jl already to +150 / +374 offset and the max temp i was getting before removing the battery was only °66.

I will try to remove the overclocking later and see if it changes anything, also every setting in the advance power options i have already tweaked.

Sorry for reviving this thread but any input would be helpful

warryabel
08-02-2016, 07:08 AM
Good Morning,

So i just discovered this thread last night and translated the guide someone made. I followed every instructions cleary and assembled it again after removing the battery.
The issue for me is after doing this i have an fps drop in dota2 (20 fps drop) and csgo (30fps drop) , I play on both with max settings.

Is there any settings i need to change or did i touch something in the mobo by mistake? also i overclocked my g751jl already to +150 / +374 offset and the max temp i was getting before removing the battery was only °66.

I will try to remove the overclocking later and see if it changes anything, also every setting in the advance power options i have already tweaked.

Sorry for reviving this thread but any input would be helpful

you know that when overclocked, the system need the battery because the adapter cant transfer enough power!

maru321
08-02-2016, 09:46 AM
you know that when overclocked, the system need the battery because the adapter cant transfer enough power!

removed the overclocking. still getting the same fps :(

my main point is i'm getting lower fps than my normal fps ( before overclocking ).

what you are trying to say is its normal to lose performance when removing the battery and going straight to the Adapter power?

maru321
08-02-2016, 10:02 AM
G751 works fine without battery! Tested it, no efficiency problems.

did you change something in particular?

warryabel
08-03-2016, 09:17 AM
removed the overclocking. still getting the same fps :(

my main point is i'm getting lower fps than my normal fps ( before overclocking ).

what you are trying to say is its normal to lose performance when removing the battery and going straight to the Adapter power?

possibile? i think yes when using modded vbios...

maru321
08-15-2016, 07:16 AM
possibile? i think yes when using modded vbios...

This may sound weird but yeah the issue was resolved after the windows 10 anniversary update. I'm back to my overclocked fps before

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/13367885

and the benchmark results also came back to my orig overclocked results.

Thanks for the time anyways .

empire3010
12-07-2016, 09:22 PM
Hello,

Where do you buy the battery from? I'm looking to get one but can't find one.