PDA

View Full Version : Hold Out For SLI 980m

MikeHawk
10-31-2014, 01:41 PM
Dear ASUS.

You may have my dollars if you make a sli 980m

I wish to cook eggs on my laptop while playing planetside 2, this is a dream of mine. please be my make a wish sponsor.

Thank you from the future where it is sunny and warm. :cool:

Good bye.

_
10-31-2014, 02:36 PM
Right now we don't do SLI notebooks because a) the heat and weight goes up up up up up up up (a big chunk of weight is b/c of the copper cooling) b) battery life goes down the ****ter c) negative feedback from reviewers about drivers. You might as well buy a small form factor PC if you're gonna be plugged in all the time.

I wish to cook eggs on my laptop while playing planetside 2, this is a dream of mine.

Actual LOL

toronto699
10-31-2014, 06:12 PM
http://www.sagernotebook.com/index.php?page=product_info&model_name=NP9377-S SLI at a great cost
the asus top of the line G751-JY-DH72X is a better option than SLI in my opinion , im waiting for one to be delivered with a few upgrades , waiting to hear from retailer if the G751-JY-DH72X supports the 4940MX processor
Tip read the Sager forums

Sagi
10-31-2014, 07:10 PM
http://www.sagernotebook.com/index.php?page=product_info&model_name=NP9377-S SLI at a great cost
the asus top of the line G751-JY-DH72X is a better option than SLI in my opinion , im waiting for one to be delivered with a few upgrades , waiting to hear from retailer if the G751-JY-DH72X supports the 4940MX processor

I love the fact that they don't mention anything about their cooling system :rolleyes: I could imagine it would struggle a bit.. Can't wait to see a review tho :D

hmscott
10-31-2014, 09:35 PM
Right now we don't do SLI notebooks because a) the heat and weight goes up up up up up up up (a big chunk of weight is b/c of the copper cooling) b) battery life goes down the ****ter c) negative feedback from reviewers about drivers. You might as well buy a small form factor PC if you're gonna be plugged in all the time.

MarshallR, I had the W90Vp-X1, and I still think it was one of the best laptops Asus ever made :)

The only part that needs to get ironed out was the driver support.

At the time it was workable, at least I didn't have a problem with the update schedule, but Asus needed to keep providing modified drivers to keep up with ATI releases. If you can work out with ATI/Nvidia to get the support built in to General releases by ATI/Nvidia I think it would be a great laptop for Asus to release.

I really miss that 18.4" screen :)

ASUS W90 Series W90Vp-X1 NoteBook Intel Core 2 Duo T9600 (2.80GHz) 6GB Memory 320GB HDD ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4870 X2 18.4" Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220503

MikeHawk
11-01-2014, 12:24 AM
You might as well buy a small form factor PC if you're gonna be plugged in all the time.

I've been on the edge of just building a micro-atx travel tower (BitFenix Prodigy) just to get the extra power.

I travel 5 days out of the week for work and it's just been nice to stuff my g75-3d in a backpack and go.

I will more than likely just nab one of your single GPU 980m's.

Doubt it will fry an egg though! :confused:

MikeHawk
11-01-2014, 12:30 AM
The only part that needs to get ironed out was the SLI driver support.)

I didn't realize sli had such a driver problem. sounds like something to steer clear of maybe?

hmscott
11-01-2014, 01:08 AM
I didn't realize sli had such a driver problem. sounds like something to steer clear of maybe?

MikeHawk, I think Asus knows better now, and could pull it off - they went with a custom implementation at the time that precluded using the ATI driver releases directly - it ended up getting worked out - I bought a while after release so I missed all that fun.

Asus would do better this time, right Asus? :)

Joystick
11-01-2014, 05:14 AM
If a 980M SLI version was available, students and professionals would not buy this version, because buying 2 desktop pc is cheaper. Only hardcore lan party people should buy a 980M SLI notebook, but truly hardcore lan party people have a desktop pc. So only desktop pc haters would buy a 980M SLI version.

hmscott
11-01-2014, 06:15 AM
If a 980M SLI version was available, students and professionals would not buy this version, because buying 2 desktop pc is cheaper. Only hardcore lan party people should buy a 980M SLI notebook, but truly hardcore lan party people have a desktop pc. So only desktop pc haters would buy a 980M SLI version.

Joystick, one's own practicalities are often not the practicalities of others.

The W90 was no more expensive than the first Asus G2S I bought, the price was high, like $3500, but so were MacBook 17"'s at the time - also $3500+

Relative cost vs value, it just has to beat that. It might be that isn't possible any more, but even so an Asus SLI 980m would be a better buy than an Alienware or Sager version - and likely more reliable.

Toting around a desktop + monitor + keyboard + mouse + every thing else is a lot more hassle than carrying a laptop bag.

Moving your laptop around the house to different rooms, inside and out, is easier with a laptop too.

I bought the W90, and so did a lot of other people - in fact we bought out the supply Asus made and the used price was held high for a long time. It was a very popular and very fast laptop that even with it's issues - that all laptops have in one form or the other - it was still in great demand.

Even if you don't think you would want one, I think a lot of people would buy it.