PDA

View Full Version : Help! G751JT-CH71 Keyboard backlight isn't working! - found the cause on mine...

kennycol
11-01-2014, 06:11 AM
D'oh! I just got my new Asus ROG G751JT-CH71 today and right off the bat I've got a problem. The keyboard backlighting won't light up! Ever since I got it it hasn't lit up at all. :( The rest of the laptop feels great so far and I really like it, but I haven't really done much because I don't want to invest any time on this thing if I'm going to have to send it back because of the keyboard lighting.

I've tried the normal Fn + F4 (keyboard brightness up) and once I enabled the on-screen display it would show the image of the keyboard and with the brightness increasing until max. And I've played around with Fn + F3 (dimming keyboard brightness). I've contacted Asus tech support and they've had me reinstall the ATK drivers, the Intel Chipset drivers, and the Keyboard Filter Driver. None of it has made any difference. I've rebooted the machine several times during the whole process.

Anyone have any ideas of what I can try? I REALLY don't want to send this thing back, but no way am I going to keep it without working backlighting for the keyboard. That's a required feature of a laptop for me.

Thanks!

kennycol
11-01-2014, 05:18 PM
Can anyone who has a G751 verify that their keyboard lighting was on by default and it's only Fn + F4 and Fn + F3 that controls the lighting levels?

kennycol
11-01-2014, 05:19 PM
Oh, and my caps lock light is working...if I turn that on the light under the caps lock key lights up. So I don't think it's something like not getting power to those LED's.

kennycol
11-01-2014, 11:43 PM
Oh, one more tidbit of information. I read several threads on this forum about people having similar issues with their G750. Someone that was helping with one case suggested that the person either shutdown and start or just restart their machine while watching the keyboard for backlighting. They said that if the backlighting worked hardware wise it would flash as part of the starting/restarting process. So I tried that. Sure enough, no lights came on at all except for the caps lock enabled light. BAH!

Could someone who has a G751 whose keyboard backlighting works verify that shutting down your computer and restarting it does indeed cause not just the caps lock enabled light to light up, but all the keyboard lights? Please?

Sagi
11-02-2014, 12:18 AM
I can only verify that my G75VX did that - Have you tried to reinstall the driver?

kennycol
11-07-2014, 01:30 AM
Ya. Working through Asus tech support they had me reinstall the ATK driver, the Keyboard Filter driver, the Intel Chipset driver, and one other that I can't remember right now. They also had me reset BIOS to factory defaults and then reset the whole laptop to factory defaults No luck. Still no lights. After all of that they told me to either send it in for repair or send it back to where I bought it.

I shipped it back today. /sob

They're out of stock on them and have no ETA that I could find.

hctisme
12-09-2014, 12:09 AM
Hopefully I can find some help here... I just bought the g771jm and it is really frustrating that the keyboard doesnt light up at login. after login it does. But that doesnt help in a dark room trying to logon. Anybody including techs know how to fix this.

romantico3pe
12-09-2014, 04:35 AM
Hopefully I can find some help here... I just bought the g771jm and it is really frustrating that the keyboard doesnt light up at login. after login it does. But that doesnt help in a dark room trying to logon. Anybody including techs know how to fix this.

no way to fix that, that's the way it was designed

hmscott
12-09-2014, 05:46 AM

hctisme, I run without the G750JH keyboard back-light most of the time...my wireless keyboard doesn't have a back-light either.

When I use a back-lighted keyboard I tend to look at the keyboard, when I use a non-lighted keyboard I don't look down and I type much faster with fewer errors.

I just powered off, and powered up to be sure, but with my G750JH the keyboard back-light comes on a few seconds after power up, and turns off when the login screen comes up - I have it disabled.

Isn't it strange, I want it off all the time, and it comes on at power up for login, you want it on all the time and it won't come on until after login.

Maybe try disabling the keyboard back-light after it comes on, login in and then reboot, see if the keyboard light comes on at power up like mine. Then you can enable it when it turns off after login...

If that doesn't work, keep a flashlight around.

I keep a small 3 cell AAA LED flashlight on the desk with me, I also have a USB powered light in my bag that I can snake over the keyboard for dark computer rooms.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=3+cell+AAA+LED+flashlight&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3A3+cell+AAA+LED+flashlight

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=usb+powered+light&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Ausb+powered+light

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=sr_kk_1?rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Ausb+powered+lamp&keywords=usb+powered+lamp&ie=UTF8&qid=1418103986

Please come back and let us know what you work out :)

janusz
05-03-2015, 03:06 PM
Of the top, I got my G751JT few days ago and the backlight on the key board started with the start of the PC. Unfortunately, once started browsing the backlight disappeared for good. Getting to this forum showed me that Fn4 can make it happen again and Fn3 can trim it back. Could not find it in the 0409_E9655_A.pdf manual using common words like "backlight" etc.. - frustrating as it was, the forum gave me the Fn3/4 - thank you, as for the original post - I think that laptop has a hardware fault and need to be returned for a fix.

blip99
01-03-2017, 09:39 PM
I had my laptop for a year or so. The backlight never worked, but after a support call I decided I couldn't be bothered.

But I found the cause today as I opened the laptop to try to blow some dust out of the fans, since I imagined that it make more racket than usual. I actually also thought that I could check the cables while doing it, as I have been slightly bothered after all...

Anyway, the ribbon cable was snapped off at the connector, and as it was not in the right place, it was also screwed through by one of the screws that fastens the keyboard, cutting off one of the leads rather neatly.

Not sure what to do though... probably just continue to be slightly miffed...

Armesis
01-05-2017, 02:52 PM
Hopefully it'll be fine after a replacement, my keyboard had the same problem and they swapped it with a new one. Works fine now, but im still scared to use it in fear it'll go bad again lol.