PDA

View Full Version : Steam key open desktop mode?

Exostenza
11-01-2014, 11:05 PM
There is no official way to change the steam key from big picture mode to something more preferable. Xemax has come up with a method in post 13 (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?53229-Steam-key-open-desktop-mode&p=462624&viewfull=1#post462624) where you can manually change what the key does with a hex editor. I will provide the original file and the already edited one for everyone here. Please read Xemax's post so you understand what to do.

All credit goes to Xemax

The files can be downloaded here. (https://www.asuswebstorage.com/navigate/s/1018219D693C429AA461623D004BA389Y)

hmscott
11-02-2014, 12:35 AM
I really like the addition of a steam key although it is useless to me if it only opens big picture mode as I rarely use big picture. Is there a way to make it open steam in desktop mode or is this key going to be fairly useless for me?

Exostenza, I don't have a G751 to play with yet, but you could try Alt+F4 as in normal Steam exit Big Picture mode.

Also, the G751 comes with a Asus ROG MacroKey to remap keys, again I can't check if the Steam key shows up for editing, but you could give it a try.

I don't know if the Asus ROG MacroKey Utility is already installed, but if not, here is the download area for the G750JY, and a snippet showing where it is.

G751JY download area
http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&m=G751JY&hashedid=LYuLg2456gbkV5dw

If you can edit the Steam Key, please post what you edited it to to get the right function :)

Exostenza
11-02-2014, 02:16 AM
Thanks for the quick reply! I have looked at the MacroKey program and it only has options to change the m1-3 keys and not the steam key. Using alt+f4 to exit big screen mode defeats the purpose of a steam key as it just adds more steps than opening it up on my own. It's not a huge deal, but it seems like a massive oversight for Asus to make their steam key open up the application in the mode that most people hardly use.

Again, though, thanks for the reply.

hmscott
11-02-2014, 02:53 AM
Thanks for the quick reply! I have looked at the MacroKey program and it only has options to change the m1-3 keys and not the steam key. Using alt+f4 to exit big screen mode defeats the purpose of a steam key as it just adds more steps than opening it up on my own. It's not a huge deal, but it seems like a massive oversight for Asus to make their steam key open up the application in the mode that most people hardly use.
Again, though, thanks for the reply.

Exostenza, you can ask Asus directly for a fix / workaround here:

https://vip.asus.com <== create a login here, register your laptop, and file a Technical Inquiry with your question.

Please come back and let us know what Asus says :)

Exostenza
11-02-2014, 04:26 AM
Exostenza, you can ask Asus directly for a fix / workaround here:

https://vip.asus.com <== create a login here, register your laptop, and file a Technical Inquiry with your question.

Please come back and let us know what Asus says :)

I asked them and will update when I get a response.

Thanks

Exostenza
11-03-2014, 06:24 PM
Great support from Asus here guys!

"What do you mean the big picture mode?

This key is used to launch the Steam application when your system is on or running."

Such knowledge...

hmscott
11-03-2014, 10:20 PM
Great support from Asus here guys!

"What do you mean the big picture mode?

This key is used to launch the Steam application when your system is on or running."

Such knowledge...

Exostenza, the first level support isn't as technical as the next few levels, unless it is in their book of answers it may be outside their experience and that is the kind of response you would get.

Try again and politely ask for an escalation to a manager or support engineer with experience in the new G751 release.

Again, their first language may not be your native language so when you write up the question you need to put in connecting detail that we would not normally need.

Expound on the Steam button, what it does and what the various modes for starting Steam can be. Eexplain that you need Steam to come up in a different default mode, and let them know what mode that is - and that you would like the option to be able to change the default mode of Steam for the Steam button. You can tell them you tried the new Asus MacroaKey Utility and it doesn't let you edit that button just the 3 Macro Keys, etc.

The more detail you give them, the more they will have to work with when trying to get a level or two higher engineer to come through with a real answer.

This is a new product for Asus, and as much detail as they put in the Tier 1 answer book, things like this will be added over time - you are at the cutting edge of technology, and in fact both you and the 1st/2nd Tier support people are on the same playing ground, they are learning as you are learning.

This is a good skill to learn, as it is true for all new product releases, and working with cutting edge technology for a long period of time teaches you this is a team effort for both the Supplier and the client :)

Good luck :)

Exostenza
11-03-2014, 10:30 PM
Exostenza, the first level support isn't as technical as the next few levels, unless it is in their book of answers it may be outside their experience and that is the kind of response you would get.

Try again and politely ask for an escalation to a manager or support engineer with experience in the new G751 release.

Again, their first language may not be your native language so when you write up the question you need to put in connecting detail that we would not normally need.

Expound on the Steam button, what it does and what the various modes for starting Steam can be. Eexplain that you need Steam to come up in a different default mode, and let them know what mode that is - and that you would like the option to be able to change the default mode of Steam for the Steam button. You can tell them you tried the new Asus MacroaKey Utility and it doesn't let you edit that button just the 3 Macro Keys, etc.

The more detail you give them, the more they will have to work with when trying to get a level or two higher engineer to come through with a real answer.

This is a new product for Asus, and as much detail as they put in the Tier 1 answer book, things like this will be added over time - you are at the cutting edge of technology, and in fact both you and the 1st/2nd Tier support people are on the same playing ground, they are learning as you are learning.

This is a good skill to learn, as it is true for all new product releases, and working with cutting edge technology for a long period of time teaches you this is a team effort for both the Supplier and the client :)

Good luck :)

You are absolutely right and although I did expound on my question, I did not do as much as you have here. Thanks for the detailed reply and suggestions. I will try and be more specific and make better connection in my next email if the issue is not understood. I was kind of put off because the quickest google of "steam big picture" would have answered their question for them instead of having to ask me. If I was technical support I would most definitely try a google search before asking the client.

hmscott
11-04-2014, 01:14 AM
You are absolutely right and although I did expound on my question, I did not do as much as you have here. Thanks for the detailed reply and suggestions. I will try and be more specific and make better connection in my next email if the issue is not understood. I was kind of put off because the quickest google of "steam big picture" would have answered their question for them instead of having to ask me. If I was technical support I would most definitely try a google search before asking the client.

Exostenza, surprisingly many many companies limit employee access to the internet, except for allowing certain url's and functions. google is usually one of those blocked - managers think it defocuses the employee from the assigned path they are supposed to use to represent the company... weird, right? :)

It is a Tier or two up, or within the management support realm where google searches and creative thought and action is allowed beyond the scripted paths.

I am not saying that it is that way at Asus, I don't know, but it has been this way at many client sites for front line support, so just a heads up that what you can do, what you think they can do, and what they can actually do might be very different.

Take it slow and methodical, and don't assume to much on their part, give them as much information as you can to work with internally to get this resolved.

You are giving the the resource they need to make the inquiry and successfully escalate it internally , as they likely can't research it themselves at their support level. You are giving them the reason for their manager or next tier to get involved, to sell them on devoting time to a solution.

Let us know how it works out :)

rexizam
12-27-2014, 12:12 AM
Hello guys, recently i had to re-install steam on my G751JT and since then the Steam button is completely useless, it's not working at all. Hopefully we will get an update on customising the steam button :/

fidelity101
12-27-2014, 12:46 AM
I would really like to see an application that lets you customize those buttons...i'd make the one above the 7 key work as a NUMLOCK key.

Does anyone use the program that key activates? What's the purpose of it? Also, why would I want a Steam key when I can just type hit the windows key and type STEAM...doesn't seem to hard.

Exostenza
12-27-2014, 04:51 PM
I would really like to see an application that lets you customize those buttons...i'd make the one above the 7 key work as a NUMLOCK key.

Does anyone use the program that key activates? What's the purpose of it? Also, why would I want a Steam key when I can just type hit the windows key and type STEAM...doesn't seem to hard.

Why would you do that when you can just have have a quick launch button of it in the task bar? Hitting windows and typing steam every time seems like an awful waste of time. The dedicated steam button would be a HUGE step up for you.. lol! Too bad the key only opens big picture mode which makes it useless to us! BOOOOOOOO

xemax
01-01-2015, 10:20 AM
Make a copy of "c:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\ATK Package\ATK Hotkey\hcontrol.exe". Open the copy with a hex editor and search for "bigpicture"44806

Replace it with "games" or other from following list https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Steam_browser_protocol
Copy the modified hcontrol.exe to "c:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\ATK Package\ATK Hotkey" and overwrite/rename the old file.
Now restart your laptop.

BigDRim
01-01-2015, 12:46 PM
Worked perfectly thank you so much!

Nafura
01-01-2015, 04:53 PM
i cant override the original file.
when i save the file with hex Editor, the file Icon is gone.
when i remane the original file and copy the modified file in the Folder, hotkeys dont work after restart.

BigDRim
01-01-2015, 05:03 PM
Are you sure to have the exact same thing as the pictures above? (Specially look at the middle panel.)

FreeWedgies
01-01-2015, 11:59 PM
I just got my G751 and would LOVE for the steam button to launch desktop mode. I really dislike full-screen mode.

edit: I just tried the above hack. I can't overwrite the file because its "in use by another process"

FreeWedgies
01-02-2015, 12:48 AM
Works perfectly now! thanks @xemax !!

note: you need to open task manager, and end the process HControl. the file you are trying to edit is running in the background and needs to be closed before you can overwrite it.

Exostenza
01-02-2015, 05:31 AM
We should get this file in dropbox or something equivalent and get this on a sticky.

xemax
01-02-2015, 10:25 AM
I have it uploaded here https://www.asuswebstorage.com/navigate/s/1018219D693C429AA461623D004BA389Y

Nafura
01-02-2015, 11:36 AM
works great ty

Exostenza
01-02-2015, 03:41 PM
I have it uploaded here https://www.asuswebstorage.com/navigate/s/1018219D693C429AA461623D004BA389Y

Thanks for the fix and thanks for the files, although I already made my own and uploaded them with a link in OP.

I put your post number in OP just now in case my files ever go down.

HulkSmash
01-02-2015, 04:23 PM
MarshallR, someone should sticky this!!!!

xemax
01-02-2015, 05:41 PM
Thanks for the fix and thanks for the files, although I already made my own and uploaded them with a link in OP.

I put your post number in OP just now in case my files ever go down.

Ok, thank you!

cyber1000
01-18-2015, 03:16 PM

thanks mate, it worked just fine ^^

folzo
01-18-2015, 06:00 PM

It's perfect ! Thank you !

melbell
06-30-2015, 11:52 PM
I know I'm resurrecting an old thread here, but I wanted to post this in case anyone else has the problem I did.

After I edited the file with a hex editor and restarted, my Steam button didn't work at all. So I tried running the hcontrol.exe since it didn't automatically start, and I got an error that stated that this app cannot run on this PC. No idea why, never figured it out.

The only thing I was able to do was to download the already edited file that you guys uploaded (thanks for that, btw) and then I restarted and it's working fine.

rhufus
08-22-2016, 04:00 PM
I went into Steam SETTINGS; IN-GAME and INTERFACE and turned off the big picture mode in both. Now when I use the Steam key it starts steam normally.

Gps3dx
08-22-2016, 06:22 PM
There is no official way to change the steam key from big picture mode to something more preferable. Xemax has come up with a method in post 13 (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?53229-Steam-key-open-desktop-mode&p=462624&viewfull=1#post462624) where you can manually change what the key does with a hex editor. I will provide the original file and the already edited one for everyone here. Please read Xemax's post so you understand what to do.

All credit goes to Xemax

The files can be downloaded here. (https://www.asuswebstorage.com/navigate/s/1018219D693C429AA461623D004BA389Y)

Hi there all thread contributors.
I really do admire your willingness to contribute to this community - it is important, very welcome and not so much prevalent these days.

You are indeed very right in writing that there isn't any Asus official tool to remap the steam and any other special key + fn keys.
I support your call to ASUS as well for an OFFICIAL solution.

My I suggest just a tiny lesson learned through my years in this forum... sometimes ( most of the time in my experience ) a solution or answer to a "new" problem was already submit and discussed in this forum.
either by using the internal forum search engine or google with the postfix of "site:rog.asus.com/forum" should return the answer.... again, in most cases.

Just so you don't say that my suggestion wasn't specific, please look at my sig for the guide "HOW TO CONFIG FN+key Inc. "ShadowPlay", "Steam" | REMAP "ROG" as "NumLock"" (https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?p=538722#post538722).

I admit that your wish to reconfig the steam button can be done indeed by hex editing...
But, ask yourself if it isn't more comfortable to do so with a GUI based solution that can let you reconfig the "steam" key ( plus many other fn keys+camera+ROG keys ) without breaking the head on whether the EXE hex editing was done to the letter without being currupt at the end, PLUS the ability to reconfig that and other *special* buttons to whatever long PATH/action/key remap that you'd might want tomorrow.
I've put several hours in several days into re-coding & enhance that solution's (aka AsusNbKeys ) features from a deprecated solution that was offered many years ago to an old ROG laptops since (+-) the days of G51JW with only win7 compatibility.
( so that nowadays it was tested on G751JT and i'm sure it works also for G752 serie and other as well WITH WIN10 support ! )

P.S - I really don't mind what you do with that button... just wanted to let you ppl know of AsusNbKeys solution since nobody mentioned that.

Gps3dx
08-22-2016, 06:33 PM
MarshallR, someone should sticky this!!!!
I totally agree with you that the solution for the steam key rebinding might need a sticky.... BUT, and please let me explain:
That subject&soluion was already published at least 1 year ago in other main thread (https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?56496-G751-How-to-change-the-Steam-Shadowplay-buttons-and-Backlight-timeout-settings), and AFAI remember it was sticky thread till latest forums merge.
Since then the admins joined many sticky threads from the various joined forums into one useful sticky thread such as this one I linked (https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?83713-G750-G751-G752-Series-Useful-Threads), which includes a link to that thread that was start more then 1 year ago, that is called:

G751 How to change the Steam, Shadowplay buttons and Backlight timeout settings (https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?56496-G751-How-to-change-the-Steam-Shadowplay-buttons-and-Backlight-timeout-settings)

Thus, IMHO, there isn't any need for new sticky, as the subject was discussed intensively before the creation of this thread and that mentioned thread above is already sticky in sticky ( a lot of glue going on here ) :rolleyes: