PDA

View Full Version : Asus G751JM (Best Buy Model) GPU upgradability?

httuner
11-02-2014, 06:10 AM
So, I've been away from the forums for quite a while, someone said I was dead, well I am back from the dead haha. If it even matters, I got married and life happened lol, I sold my last gaming laptop G75VX which I loved and modified like crazy.

So I've been away anyhow I so happen to run into a BestBuy the other day and found this neat looking new Asus Gaming laptop and was blown away! like whoaa TOUCHSCREEN GAMING LAPTOP! Oh F**** yeah!

Anyhow to my findings Asus has released the GTX 980m versions of this LAPTOP TOO but they don't have a touch screen from what I've seen and I really like the idea of the touchscreen, plus the higher end model just cost too much. I think majority of the cost come from the other options like 16,24,32GB of ram! plus the SSD's. (Ram and SSD are so much cheaper to buy aftermarket than to have it come with the laptop, Asus, Alienware and so on like to charge extra $$$$ for these simple upgrades you can do yourself for much much less)

The best buy version has the lower end( or should I say the mid grade GPU) GTX 860M which seems extremely good but not AWESOME good like the GTX 980m. So my real question is, Has anyone opened this laptop up and check to see if perhaps maybe just MAYBE, its upgradable, like forsay the GPU isn't part of the motherboard(soldered on).

I would really like to know because if I can upgrade the GPU myself(someday) I would love to pull the trigger and purchase the G751JM model from best buy and upgrade it from there (Of course I'll have to wait until I can find a suitable 980m GPU for it, unless Asus is willing to sell me one)

The easiest way is, I wish ASUS would allow me to build and customize my own Asus G751 laptop :)

guvadc
11-02-2014, 01:41 PM
I have this model. Someone mentioned egpu i another thread ,don't know if that is realistic or not.

Ginseng
11-02-2014, 02:09 PM
Hi, I don't have this laptop but it seems both CPU and GPU are soldered and not upgradable

toronto699
11-02-2014, 02:25 PM
cpu and gpu are soldered as I checked in trying to upgrade the cpu in the g751 jy-dh72x not possible

Clark
11-02-2014, 11:24 PM
As a previous G75 owner (RIP due to it going tumbling down the road with my ducati) I needed a new lap top and I was in the same boat. Was looking at the asus with the 980m along with some other ones but when I was in best buy, I saw the new Asus in the flesh. I was pretty impressed with how it looked, Better card than my 660m, and the touchscreen is what sold me. I never thought I would want touch screen but now that I have gotten used to it, I think I would trade the lower graphics card for the ability to touch the screen. I was bummed as the 980m has some pretty fantastic performance but it was an upgrade for me regardless.

Clark
11-02-2014, 11:26 PM
Oh but my main point, I will take a look at how its soldered as I am pretty handy when it comes to soldering. My question would be with compatibility and maintaining its touchscreen abilities (which I hope it would not affect)

_
11-03-2014, 02:54 AM
Most of the cost comes from the GPU. They are serious $$$$. Look at how prices of premium desktop parts have pushed upwards in the last few years and it's the same in mobile.

nlaky21
11-21-2014, 01:22 PM
the jm has a dedicated graphics card, not integrated