PDA

View Full Version : Recertified G73JH-BST7 Steps to get it running right?

sirdrumalot
10-27-2011, 05:06 PM
hey guys i just got my recertified G73JH-BST7 from newegg.com. so i have no recovery discs or anything. ive been reading threads and trying to get all the info i can on the steps i need to do. so far i've know i need to get a clean install of windows, flash a new bios, update drivers. but not really sure of all the steps and programs ill need. i read charitys reference list but my question is do i need everything in there, like all of the utilities etc. a step by step list of what needs downloading and what to use would really help me figure out the best way of doing this. thanks so much i really appreciate any help anyone can give. thanks

xeromist
10-27-2011, 07:45 PM
I would grab all of the drivers that are applicable to your hardware. Obviously you don't need stuff for a different model. As to the software? You do need the ATK package to make the function keys work so I'd get that. You also need power gear 4 if you want to use the hard button to change performance modes. The most important thing is to have the wireless driver on a flash drive if you don't have an ethernet connection. After that you will be able to download and install everything over wireless. Windows will actually find drivers for most things but I'd get the latest ATI driver and the Realtek audio driver because the default Windows drivers suck.

Brian@ASUS
10-28-2011, 04:50 AM
be sure to do the VBIOS update: http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?519-G73Jh-GSOD-Vbios-Update

sirdrumalot
10-28-2011, 06:39 AM
I would grab all of the drivers that are applicable to your hardware. Obviously you don't need stuff for a different model. As to the software? You do need the ATK package to make the function keys work so I'd get that. You also need power gear 4 if you want to use the hard button to change performance modes. The most important thing is to have the wireless driver on a flash drive if you don't have an ethernet connection. After that you will be able to download and install everything over wireless. Windows will actually find drivers for most things but I'd get the latest ATI driver and the Realtek audio driver because the default Windows drivers suck.

thanks man. so pretty much ill lose all those things when i flash and ill need to reinstall what you posted to get them back. also i just noticed you're in sacramento, hahah im in elk grove. :)

sirdrumalot
10-28-2011, 06:45 AM
be sure to do the VBIOS update: http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?519-G73Jh-GSOD-Vbios-Update

thanks brian. also i just read that chastity's help and resource page are on hold till further notice. that page was like a golden ticket...is there another good place to find a lot of those links? it was super convenient.

xeromist
10-28-2011, 06:41 PM
thanks man. so pretty much ill lose all those things when i flash and ill need to reinstall what you posted to get them back. also i just noticed you're in sacramento, hahah im in elk grove. :)

Perhaps I've seen you at one of the Intel LAN's. It's hard for me to match handles to faces.

thanks brian. also i just read that chastity's help and resource page are on hold till further notice. that page was like a golden ticket...is there another good place to find a lot of those links? it was super convenient.

She'll be back. In the mean time I would go direct to the manufacturer's website for driver related things. It's a few more steps but you're certain to get the latest & greatest that way.