PDA

View Full Version : How do you turn on number lock on the g751jy???????????? [solved]

AQUASTEVAE
11-07-2014, 02:18 AM
what's up guys. i just received my g751jy, and it is an excellent piece of hardware. but, as always, asus just has to do something ridiculously stupid with these machines, and the number lock key missing is the newest iteration. i am looking all over and can't find out how to set the number lock to on. i went in the registry, and changed the keyboard value to 2, didn't help. so i really need to know if anyone has figured this out, as it is extremely frustrating to not be able to use my number keypad. thanks!

hmscott
11-07-2014, 05:07 AM
what's up guys. i just received my g751jy, and it is an excellent piece of hardware. but, as always, asus just has to do something ridiculously stupid with these machines, and the number lock key missing is the newest iteration. i am looking all over and can't find out how to set the number lock to on. i went in the registry, and changed the keyboard value to 2, didn't help. so i really need to know if anyone has figured this out, as it is extremely frustrating to not be able to use my number keypad. thanks!

AQUASTEVAE, consult page 42 of the G751JY English Manual - might be a different page on your language/model G751.

Using the numeric keypad
The numeric keypad on your Notebook PC can be used for numeric
input or as pointer direction keys. Press Shift + Num Lck to toggle between using the keypad as number keys or as pointer direction keys

You can download the manual here:

http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&m=G751JY&hashedid=LYuLg2456gbkV5dw

As always, RTFM => Read That Fine Manual :)

AQUASTEVAE
11-07-2014, 05:23 AM
AQUASTEVAE, consult page 42 of the G751JY English Manual - might be a different page on your language/model G751.

Using the numeric keypad
The numeric keypad on your Notebook PC can be used for numeric
input or as pointer direction keys. Press Shift + Num Lck to toggle between using the keypad as number keys or as pointer direction keys

You can download the manual here:

http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&m=G751JY&hashedid=LYuLg2456gbkV5dw

As always, RTFM => Read That Fine Manual :)

thanks a lot. it didn't work as that says, but it did make me take a closer look at the keys, which did help me get it done. the "home" key has num lk in small letters under it, and after trying several combos (since shift didn't work) i found that pressing the fn key and the home key switched it. thanks again!

hmscott
11-07-2014, 08:25 AM
thanks a lot. it didn't work as that says, but it did make me take a closer look at the keys, which did help me get it done. the "home" key has num lk in small letters under it, and after trying several combos (since shift didn't work) i found that pressing the fn key and the home key switched it. thanks again!

AQUASTEVAE, is your keyboard the English (American) keyboard layout, as described in the English Manual?

If so please let Asus know that their manual needs updating to match the shipping keyboard layout.

https://vip.asus.com <== create a login, register your laptop, and file a Technical Inquiry

Or, if you have a non-English keyboard, maybe the layout is different? If so, which Language manual is the correct one for you, and does it correctly indicate the method you posted?

Glad to hear it is working for you :)

Juanita
01-15-2015, 11:08 AM
Hi, so I know where the key is, the problem is it does not turn on. So I can't use my keypad? Also tried the fn + home buttons. But nothing happens. Help please!

cl-Albert
01-16-2015, 05:39 PM
Hi, so I know where the key is, the problem is it does not turn on. So I can't use my keypad? Also tried the fn + home buttons. But nothing happens. Help please!

Hi, sorry not sure what the problem is, so have more questions if you can provide more details.

1. Expect your home/numlock and 'Fn' keys should be physically okay, but thought you may want to double-check if necessary.
Does the 'home' key work when used as a 'home' key (it should take you to the beginning of the line/document?)?
Does the 'fn' key work when used for other functions like fn+f11 or fn+f12 to change the volume?

2. Does the numlock light comes on when pressing Fn+home?

3. Are you using the original ASUS Windows image and what version of Windows are you using (Win7 or Win8, etc.)?

4. If you're using Windows, do you see the ATK package installed under 'Programs and Features'?

If it's any easier, you may also want to check with your local ASUS support, but feel free to discuss and hopefully we can figure it out.

Arnas
01-20-2015, 09:12 AM
Instead of shift+num lck, i need to press fn+num lck. That for me was effective:).

southerncalm
05-07-2015, 07:53 PM
That fine manual is wrong. Need a reprint
when pressing shift and ROG key together AS STATED in the manual it DOES NOT toggle numbers
It launches the Gaming Center
get it right in print BEFORE you push the print please
wondering how many more small things are waiting
but overall i love the laptop so far