PDA

View Full Version : G751JT-CH71 + Other Model ISSUES?

BRSxIgnition
11-07-2014, 03:33 AM
Hi,

I've been lurking on quite a few G751 related threads, and I've come across the fact that tons of the people who have ordered them have gotten their machines with issues. I've seen everything from:

Dead Pixels in the center of the screen.
Improper thermal pasting jobs leading to temps of 110 when gaming.
Fizzy Sounding, Punched In, Disconnected, and Loose Fitting Speakers.
Improperly placed keyboard keys. (Leading to clicking problems)
Broken Trackpad Buttons, Misaligned Trackpads. (With Palmrest)
etc.

This is very worrying and I don't see why so many QC issues are arising from this release.

It's even worse that I've ordered a G751JT-CH71 and will be picking it up Monday... I swear if I have any or even multiple of these issues..

Jeffri
11-07-2014, 12:45 PM
Dude that's a freakin bad news for me!!
I'm extremely worried now, cause I've ordered not one but TWO G751JT-CH71 (one for me & other for my brother) should be delivered on November 12.
Please post your experience here as soon as you check it out, I hope you don't face any defects or whatsoever. it would be horrible

guvadc
11-07-2014, 02:56 PM
Sorry to here the issues. I got the G751JM from BB and its been great, now issues ......yet

Sagi
11-07-2014, 08:51 PM
Sorry to here the issues. I got the G751JM from BB and its been great, now issues ......yet

If you haven't had any problems yet, that's a really good sign :) The best of luck with it the next few years.

BRSxIgnition
11-08-2014, 07:21 AM
I'll be picking up my G751 tomorrow (Sunday), I've marked down all the issues I've seen online and will be checking all of them before I return home.

If I get a good unit, I'll post about it - it should help, with all this negativity flying around already.

If not, I'll have to open up an Amazon Return and I'll post about that too...

Does anyone know about any portable program to stress the GPU/CPU temps? I've seen a complaint about cooling problems leading to temps of 110, so if I can test that with a portable program, that would be beyond great,

Sagi
11-08-2014, 02:07 PM
I'll be picking up my G751 tomorrow (Sunday), I've marked down all the issues I've seen online and will be checking all of them before I return home.

If I get a good unit, I'll post about it - it should help, with all this negativity flying around already.

If not, I'll have to open up an Amazon Return and I'll post about that too...

Does anyone know about any portable program to stress the GPU/CPU temps? I've seen a complaint about cooling problems leading to temps of 110, so if I can test that with a portable program, that would be beyond great,

Just download MSI afterburner and play a game like BF4 for 20-30mins on a 64player map - That should tell you if it's running too hot or not :) You will be able to track the temperatures of the CPU and GPU while playing.

BRSxIgnition
11-08-2014, 04:52 PM
Just download MSI afterburner and play a game like BF4 for 20-30mins on a 64player map - That should tell you if it's running too hot or not :) You will be able to track the temperatures of the CPU and GPU while playing.

Thing is, I am picking it up, testing it in a coffee shop for about an hour or so, then taking it home if it's alright. I don't want to drive more than an hour to my pickup location, drive home, then realize things don't work.

Are there any portable utilities I can use to test how high the GPU temps will get at load? (Something to put on a USB stick, then quickly copy onto the machine and run)

Would the Unigine Heaven / Valley Benchmarks work?

Ginseng
11-08-2014, 05:22 PM
Thing is, I am picking it up, testing it in a coffee shop for about an hour or so, then taking it home if it's alright. I don't want to drive more than an hour to my pickup location, drive home, then realize things don't work.

Are there any portable utilities I can use to test how high the GPU temps will get at load? (Something to put on a USB stick, then quickly copy onto the machine and run)

Hello, I'm not sure if this is a website or what.. check this video and look at how they measure the temperatures, I hope it helps... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htgAFgW5rzE&list=UUJ9O0vRPsMFk5UtIDimr6hQ

Sagi
11-08-2014, 07:17 PM

Well, it's better than nothing I guess :) Perhaps try furmark, even tho it can toast your GPU if it runs too long.

hmscott
11-09-2014, 12:05 AM

BRSxIgnition, hope this isn't too late, but yes the Unigine Heaven will heat up the GPU, Furmark is a bit more directed toward finding heat issues - it has a 15 minute burn-in button configured for max heat generation.

For the CPU I always use Prime95 8 cores FFT test. It runs without throttling on a well made G750 series, so it should do the same on the G751.
http://www.mersenne.org/download/#download

And, to watch the temps I use 2 programs. hwinfo64 Sensors only mode for CPU/GPU and GPU-Z Sensors tab for GPU only.

hwinfo64 download
http://www.hwinfo.com/download.php

GPU-Z ROG version download
http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/2417/techpowerup-gpu-z-v0-8-0-w-asus-rog-skin/

You can leave those run during benchmarks / stress tests and look for throttling in the hwinfo - errors in GPU-Z - hwinfo64 will also log to a file.

Please come back and let us know how your new G751 tests :)

BRSxIgnition
11-09-2014, 06:58 AM
Thank you very much, hmscott - are there any specific settings I should test out my system at? Extreme on the Heaven/Valley Benchmarks? A different setting?

hmscott
11-09-2014, 07:07 AM
Thank you very much, hmscott - are there any specific settings I should test out my system at? Extreme on the Heaven/Valley Benchmarks? A different setting?

BRSxIgnition, the defaults are a good start, take a look at the options and read the docs in the tool and on the site. You can take it to the max resolution, and experiment with the settings.

The Heaven results dialog above has the test settings used for that result.

_
11-11-2014, 01:38 AM
Please remember this is primarily a support forum, so people are discussing product issues here. You won't get satisfied users signing up to go "everything is great, kthxbye" and we sell far more than people posting in here ;)

Sagi
11-11-2014, 09:33 AM
No, but you can go back and tell them what they did wrong ;)

Somwhere out there, there is a delivery guy running around with my G751JY .. If I somehow manage to get a hold of him today, I will post a review of it - Good or bad :)

Depends on how it's working!

guvadc
11-11-2014, 12:09 PM
As far as the testing software is concerned, My G751JM came with the ASUS | Intel Extreme Tuning Utility that has benchmarking and a Stress Test option. I got to it by clicking on the Asus Software Installation Wizard that was on my Start Menu in the lower left when in Desktop Mode.

I'm totally new to these and do not know how good this actually is , or if this software is considered junk by most.

Exostenza
11-11-2014, 01:32 PM
My G751JY has the super crappy speakers that buzz and rattle. I moved out of my home country though so I am stuck with them. For such an expensive machine it is a real let down to see that they cheeped out on the speakers. My first one didn't have any issues with the speakers although the GPU died in like 4 days, lol.

Poops

TheiKing
11-12-2014, 03:14 AM
Updating about this situation, the black pixel all of a sudden fixed itself today. I woke up and was getting ready to package it up to send it into Asus for repair......and the black/dead pixel was suddenly not there.

Words cannot describe how fortunate this is, the only issue left with the laptop is the crappy speakers which have a annoying buzzy noise at certain notes. Im hoping that I can find a way to get rid of all this equalizer nonsense and plug my JBL speakers or headphones in for some good unaltered audio.

My Model: G751JT - Non SSD version

Findermb
05-17-2015, 12:02 AM
Got mine G751JT-CH71, from Amazon, on March... Was looking good, no dead pixels, or displaced keyboard or trackpad, hell it didn't even got any heat problems running AC:Unity on maximum settings for about 30min.... The really f$%^&ing problem was the battery, it wasn't even 4 days since I got it and the battery was starting to give problems, first it would switch between charging and not charging witch will mess up your gaming because of the performance "BIOS - or Windows" about battery status (plugged/not plugged), I checked the charger and it was sending stable Voltage, thought it was the motherboard plug but it was OK, it was THE BATTERY, after 1 night I keep it downloading some games, the next morning it was "plugged but no charging" and the battery was sucked at 4%, now, I could use it for another day but I had the bad luck that someone unplugged my laptop and the battery dried DEAD. Nothing would turn it on again, and the Battery as you know is not replaceable, of course the warranty was going to cover for it, but in Ecuador they don't have an Asus Tech Support, and cause I work overseas at the Middle East, when I had to travel, you can't have a electronic that doesn't turn on on your personal bag (for terrorist and security issues) so I had to send the box with my new Dead Laptop in the Check-in luggage, and as you might bet, they removed and stole it.... So at least for me, NO LUCK at all with this laptop, although I might say, is one of the TOP BEST laptops I have ever used honestly it beats Alienware and MSI by a milestone!