PDA

View Full Version : G750JZ slow with Solidworks

Savage-wp
11-07-2014, 06:36 PM
I have a G750jz laptop. I haven't over clocked anything yet. I installed Solidworks, and have set Graphic settings to always use Nvidia for solidworks
Solidworks opens quickly, but when I open a stp file, it takes forever to generate the model.
Is there some setting / settings I can change to speed it up.
I would think that a laptop with these specs should be able to open a 3d model quickly.

beatc
11-08-2014, 08:54 AM
Do you have SSD installed? If not, then i suggest you install one

Antares
11-08-2014, 03:28 PM
This is a completely different issue than using SolidWorks in its normal capacity. When you open a .stp file in Solidworks (or any 3D CAD program) you are getting into conversion processes (the STEP Translator in SolidWorks nomenclature) as this type of file is not natively supported by modern CAD software. I realize they try to maintain the appearance of native support but it is converted into structure and code that the program does support. And when you save in .stp you are again engaging the conversion process (for the sake of argument think of this side benefiting from several time-saving operations that are simply inapplicable on the load side of the equation). In other words, you will experience slowdown on even ultra high-end machines (think $20,000+ CAD Workstations). This is not some previously missed major fault, just the cost of doing business. Be thankful it is able to complete such processes successfully without crashing and the associated headaches. Not that long ago I recall seeing just that in fairly hefty machines, due to minor instabilities in the then current releases. And when I was in college, and Windows 2000 (pre XP and service pack 3) was the OS, I watched my Pro-Engineer disappear completely, with all my hard earned and unsaved work. And have to reboot and reload and pray for an available license. Slow loading may be annoying and frustrating, but the alternatives quickly stack up to a whole lot worse. Your hardware if it is not displaying any other issues, is fine. Cheers!

Savage-wp
11-08-2014, 05:22 PM
Thanks Antares. Yes, I know it is converting, I just thought it would be quicker. But apparently all systems battle with this conversion.
I will save my files in native Solidworks format.