PDA

View Full Version : G751JY upgrade issues

zwankh
11-07-2014, 08:10 PM
Hello guys, I just bought a G751JY and I replaced the second hdd with a ssd I had and trying to install the hdd on the optical drive (to replace the blue-ray burner). However I just found out that the thickness of that blue-ray burner is thinner than most of the optical caddy than on amazon and the one I used for G75 doesn't fit. What should I do? Anyone have an optical drive that fits? Thank you!

hmscott
11-07-2014, 09:33 PM
Hello guys, I just bought a G751JY and I replaced the second hdd with a ssd I had and trying to install the hdd on the optical drive (to replace the blue-ray burner). However I just found out that the thickness of that blue-ray burner is thinner than most of the optical caddy than on amazon and the one I used for G75 doesn't fit. What should I do? Anyone have an optical drive that fits? Thank you!

zwankh, you could file a Technical Inquiry to Asus to ask what size caddy you can use to fit the optical bay - and are there are any HDD/SSD height restrictions.

https://vip.asus.com/ <== create a login, register your laptop, file a Technical Inquiry with your clearly stated question (to help then translate)

Please report back as to whether the G751 optical bay SATA port is I, II, or III. In the G750 it was a SATA I interface, which was quite slow.

zwankh
11-13-2014, 04:33 PM
They said they don't have a model, lol. WHYYYYYYYY

hmscott
11-14-2014, 03:37 AM
They said they don't have a model, lol. WHYYYYYYYY

zwankh, try a PM to MarshallR@Asus, you will need a few more postings, I think 5, before you can PM anyone.

Enough time has passed, you might find optical bay expansion caddy's listed on sites selling custom G751's.

When you it please post here :)