PDA

View Full Version : G751 JY GH71 help please! How i can do a full factory out of the box system back up?

Noel
11-08-2014, 05:12 PM
hi, could anyone please explaine how i can do a full factory out of the box system back up for my new G751 JY GH71, on a USB3 flash drive? Will windows 8.1 automaticly make the flashdrive bootable ? or do i have to do this manualy before useing? still waiting for delivery and there are no cd included so better to have one. any Usb 3 flash drive recomanded please. thanks in advance, Noel

Sagi
11-08-2014, 07:12 PM
There is a recovery partition on the ssd or hdd - In case you need to restore it back to factory settings.

I read somewhere, that it's located on the ssd.

cl-Albert
11-11-2014, 05:25 PM
Yes, as Sagi mentioned you should be able to reset/recover Windows back to the original factory new condition using the preinstalled recovery partition and Win8/8.1 'Reset' function (let us know if you need more info) as long as nothing bad happens to it or the SSD/HDD.

If you just want to back-up the original ASUS Win8.1 factory partition to USB though, consider trying ASUS Backtracker as mentioned in the thread below, but it's a good idea to test the back-up you created if you can.
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?40548-Backing-up-your-ASUS-factory-Win8-Recovery-Partition

Otherwise, there should be third-party utilities that are able to back-up your drive (not something I'm as familiar with though) if you want to look into it more and hopefully we can get more suggestions.

Noel
11-12-2014, 04:15 PM
Hi thanks for your reply, all i need is to have a system recovery backup incase in future my pc becomes corupted or won't startup.
The only thing i need to know is! Will backtracker make the usb flash drive bootable ?or do i have to format and make it bootable befor i use ?
This will only let me do one time so i need to be sure. Shame i spent 2000 and not even a recovery disk. Thanks to you and all .

cl-Albert
11-12-2014, 05:11 PM
Yes, if ASUS Backtracker works, it will format your USB drive and make it bootable, so no worries there (you might think of it as a 'recovery disk' on a USB drive).

I may worry too much, but I'm not sure how well ASUS Backtracker will work for these newer G751 models (and your unit), so something to watch out for, and once you create the back-up, wondering how you can test the back-up to confirm it's good?

hmscott
11-13-2014, 09:35 AM
Yes, if ASUS Backtracker works, it will format your USB drive and make it bootable, so no worries there (you might think of it as a 'recovery disk' on a USB drive).

I may worry too much, but I'm not sure how well ASUS Backtracker will work for these newer G751 models (and your unit), so something to watch out for, and once you create the back-up, wondering how you can test the back-up to confirm it's good?

cl-Albert, maybe you and/or Marshall can do a test of Backtracker create/restore with your G751 in house for testing?

Some reports of it working fine so far to 2.5" SSD's and 2.5" HDD's, which is great.

But, 1 report of failure when trying to restore from the USB 3.0 16GB recovery flash drive made from the bootable HDD to a user purchased M.2 PCIE SSD... it restores but won't boot - perhaps you can specifically test that situation and let us know how to get it to boot?

Thanks!