PDA

View Full Version : G750JW won't POST. Blank screen, solid numlock key

JonathanR33D
11-09-2014, 04:06 AM
Alright I had just rebooted system after installing Windows 8.1 updates. I pressed restart to reboot computer and then left the room, so I don't know what happened right after that. But when I returned it seemed like the system was stuck in an infinite reboot tho I couldn't see anything on screen but it was flicking a bit. I knew it was rebooting because I could hear the DVD drive restarting and I think I saw the usual reboot lights.

So, I thought that maybe the computer had fallen asleep or something after rebooting and I could just power it off and restart it and all would be well.

The result is a completely blank screen. It doesn't even power on for a moment. I could only see a solid power led and a solid num lock led. When I try and turn num lock off, it doesn't register. Neither the caplock or any other key.

The interesting thing is that whenever I unplug system and taken battery out and then just plug in power cable, the system powers on without me even pressing the power button. But it never posts. It's the same blank screen

I tried removing hard drive but nothing works. I tried to flash bios but nothing shows up on screen. It doesn't not register
Any suggestions?

JonathanR33D
11-09-2014, 04:36 AM
Also, the system keeps powering back on when I turn it off on its own. It won't stay off as long as the power cord is in. I don't have battery pack in. Just power cord. Weird.

GottiBoi55
11-09-2014, 11:49 PM
Sounds like the "updates' didn't complete fully, or a bad "BIOS Flash".
Can you enter the BIOS?
Have you tried to enter the Windows 8 recovery environment by pressing f9 at start up?
You my be able to run "system restore" from the Windows 8 recovery environment.
But if your issue is caused by a "bad BIOS Flash" you will need to RMA.
Come on back with a little more information after trying my suggestions.

JonathanR33D
11-10-2014, 01:37 AM
Hey thx for reply. As I stated, though, the system doesn't post at all. Sure I can turn it on: It still powers up. But that is it. You just know that it's on. You hear fan and see the solid num lock key. Nothing else. This issue is far beyond a Windows update. And I never tried to flash bios until long after the system gave out on me. But the system doesn't even function enough for me to attempt a flash

GottiBoi55
11-10-2014, 02:23 AM
Hey thx for reply. As I stated, though, the system doesn't post at all. Sure I can turn it on: It still powers up. But that is it. You just know that it's on. You hear fan and see the solid num lock key. Nothing else. This issue is far beyond a Windows update. And I never tried to flash bios until long after the system gave out on me. But the system doesn't even function enough for me to attempt a flash

If you still had the "Asus live Update" installed on your NB, the utility most likely "auto updated" the BIOS. (and failed to complete the flash)
Asus Live Update will do so without you knowing, and there's been reports of bricked NB after auto update of the BIOS.
So you have entered the BIOS, and tried to use E-Z Flash utility?

JonathanR33D
11-10-2014, 02:57 AM
I haven't been able to do anything. Right now I just wish there was a way to know if it is a GPU failure or mobo issue.

And I never had any Asus utility installed so that would not b likely the case

JonathanR33D
11-10-2014, 06:04 AM
...... Thx but for the millionth time, my computer doesn't boot up at all. It does not get far enough for me to do any of the aforementioned fixes. The screen never comes on. The keyboard is not responsive.

hmscott
11-10-2014, 06:20 AM
...... Thx but for the millionth time, my computer doesn't boot up at all. It does not get far enough for me to do any of the aforementioned fixes. The screen never comes on. The keyboard is not responsive.

JonathanR33D, it is difficult within the confines of your description, and your current disappointed negative view - which is completely understandable, but you need to remain positive and try things out, or give up and RMA to Asus to fix it for you.

Did you connect an external monitor - even a TV via HDMI? Do you see anything?

From power off, press power button, then tap F2 key 2x / sec until you get into the BIOS - even from a boot black screen you will be surprised to know the BIOS post precedes the blown Windows install, so you should see the BIOS screen.

If you do get the BIOS screen then power off and try the same from power off, but tap the F8 key... you should get the view from the link here:

Step By Step How to Solve Windows 8.1 and 8 Black Screen Issue upon boot
http://www.vmwareandme.com/2013/10/step-by-step-how-to-solve-windows-81.html

Then you go from there. :)

If none of this works, and you can't get anything via a 2nd monitor on hdmi/dp/vga, then there is one last thing to try before RMA to Asus for repair.

Power off, unplug the AC power, eject the main battery, and hold down the Power button for 30 seconds to clear/reset the power settngs.

If that doesn't work, then it's time to RMA - since you are unable to do anything - it makes no sense to sit on it hoping something changes.

https://vip.asus.com <== create a login, register your laptop, file a Technical Inquiry. Be sure and tell them it happened after the first reboot from a Windows 8.1 upgrade - this is important, as if they can get the steps above to work themselves, they will be able to recover Windows with all of your data.

The other thing to try, as Asus will ask you to try it, is to do a restore back to out of box install. Using your Asus Backtracker Flash drive, from Power Off, press power on and then tap ESC 2x / sec until you see the boot options and your USB flash drive, boot on it to do a complete reset restore.

Please let us know how it works out :)

Maxter
11-10-2014, 06:12 PM
I had this issue with my old G1S... if secondary screen doesn't work, GPU has fried and you need to replace. In the G1S, the GPU was built into the MoBo, so it required full MoBo replacement. I don't know about the G750. Good luck.

GottiBoi55
11-11-2014, 12:01 AM
I haven't been able to do anything. Right now I just wish there was a way to know if it is a GPU failure or mobo issue.

And I never had any Asus utility installed so that would not b likely the case

So you did a "clean install" of windows 8/8.1?
If not you have the "Asus live update".

GottiBoi55
11-11-2014, 12:25 AM
Try this trick :

1. Remove battery an power adapter press an hold power button for 1 minute
2. Connect power adapter (No battery, just the power adapter)
3. Press power button. (your indicator lights should light up)
4. Now do a hard shutdown/reset by holding power button till all light go out
5. Connect battery, and power adapter.
6. Press power button to start (Keep fingers crossed), and hopefully it will start up.