PDA

View Full Version : Asus G550JK laptop: Windows 8.1 black screen issue.

pixelord
11-10-2014, 02:47 AM
Hi,

I just bought a Asus G550JK laptop which came with a windows 8.1 OS.
Laptop configuration is as follows:

Processor: Core i7-4700HQ
RAM: 16 GB
Graphics Card: Nvidia GTX 850M, 4 GB Memory.
HDD: 1 TB

After I got the laptop delivered, I updated windows 8.1 with latest updates and installed the latest Nvidia driver (344.60 I think). But the screen started to go black after those updates. I was not sure, which was responsible for the issue, the windows update or the Nvidia driver!

I searched in the net and found lots opinion but still wasn't sure about the root cause. Tried to disable the Intel graphics but it didn't help.

After that I reset my windows and the issue was gone. and then I re-installed latest nvidia driver, it was working fine. Then I started to install the windows, one after another. suddenly the issue re-appeared.

After I log in to windows it shows no issue. But as soon as I go full screen with the applications, the black screen issue kicked back again. I am quite confused with the issue and not sure how to solve it.

Any help would highly appreciated.

Thanks!

hmscott
11-10-2014, 06:30 AM
Hi,

I just bought a Asus G550JK laptop which came with a windows 8.1 OS.
Laptop configuration is as follows:

Processor: Core i7-4700HQ
RAM: 16 GB
Graphics Card: Nvidia GTX 850M, 4 GB Memory.
HDD: 1 TB

After I got the laptop delivered, I updated windows 8.1 with latest updates and installed the latest Nvidia driver (344.60 I think). But the screen started to go black after those updates. I was not sure, which was responsible for the issue, the windows update or the Nvidia driver!

I searched in the net and found lots opinion but still wasn't sure about the root cause. Tried to disable the Intel graphics but it didn't help.

After that I reset my windows and the issue was gone. and then I re-installed latest nvidia driver, it was working fine. Then I started to install the windows, one after another. suddenly the issue re-appeared.

After I log in to windows it shows no issue. But as soon as I go full screen with the applications, the black screen issue kicked back again. I am quite confused with the issue and not sure how to solve it.

Any help would highly appreciated.

Thanks!

pixelord, I don't suppose you noted the Microsoft Windows update KB?????? that caused the problem, you were doing them one at a time... you can look in the Windows Update History and sort by date to find the last install.

Updates KB2975719 and KB2984006 cause black lock screen on restart
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-windows_update/updates-kb2975719-and-kb2984006-cause-black-lock/1c50c436-9d5c-4718-a0d3-3f68ca4b67b0

There seems to be several potential causes, but looking at your history might narrow it down, then you can uninstall that KB and hopefully get back to normal. Then follow the Microsoft forum and KB articles for fixes.

Please come back and post what you find :)

pixelord
11-10-2014, 07:46 AM
Hi Scott,

Thanks for pointing out the KBs. I'll try those thread.
However, my issue was not related to login screen. I could log in as regular but the whenever, I put some applications (Internet Explorer, Chrome, etc) to full screen, the screen flickered and the black screen kicked in.

I was thinking may be it was an issue regarding graphics driver?

Thanks.

hmscott
11-10-2014, 08:06 AM
Hi Scott,

Thanks for pointing out the KBs. I'll try those thread.
However, my issue was not related to login screen. I could log in as regular but the whenever, I put some applications (Internet Explorer, Chrome, etc) to full screen, the screen flickered and the black screen kicked in.

I was thinking may be it was an issue regarding graphics driver?

Thanks.

pixelord, it may be another symptom of the same issue. For the black screen at start you go into safe mode to disable the Intel Video driver. This one is switching from Intel GPU to Nvidia GPU - but no Nvidia GPU drivers have reported this problem.

What driver versions for Intel and Nvidia do you have installed? If you have the latest, back up a rev or two on both and see if it goes away - and pursue the KB's in your recent history too.

Arsen
11-10-2014, 11:51 AM
I have same issue.http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?53499-Black-screen-ROG-G550JK

pixelord
11-10-2014, 03:15 PM
Hi Scott,

I checked all the installed update in my machine.
These two updated are not installed, but it still showing the issue.
Here, what I have tried so far:

1. Reinstall intel graphics driver version 15367 [didn't work]
2. Rolled back to older graphics driver version 15363 [didn't work]
3. Disabled intel graphics driver [didn't work]

hmscott
11-10-2014, 03:25 PM
Hi Scott,

I checked all the installed update in my machine.
These two updated are not installed, but it still showing the issue.
Here, what I have tried so far:

1. Reinstall intel graphics driver version 15367 [didn't work]
2. Rolled back to older graphics driver version 15363 [didn't work]
3. Disabled intel graphics driver [didn't work]

pixelord, if this happened recently, I would start with the updates, apps, and drivers installed just before the problem started. Try a clean install of the Nvidia driver too - do a clean install to reset to defaults.

There are so many complaints about this issue, and so many potential solutions, it's best if you google it and look for solutions to try close to your symptoms.

Let us know how it works out.

pixelord
11-11-2014, 12:37 AM
Hi,

I tried several solutions. Including, not installing the problematic windows KB updates.
I tried to reinstall my windows from my recovery partition and then disabled automatic driver update.
Then I freshly installed Intel HD graphics driver and nVidia driver. It didn't help.
Then I tried to disable Intel HD graphics, it looks like if I disable HD graphics then nVidia chip also stops working (which is weird, it looks like regular desktop graphics is usinf Intel HD and when I use 3D application it uses nVidia GPU).

Then I tried to install an older Intel HD graphic. but it didn't help.

(PS: If tried connecting my LED TV using HDMI port, and it was working correctly. Even though the laptop screen went black, TV was still working.)

Still investigating, let's see if I can fix it.

hmscott
11-11-2014, 03:20 AM
Hi,

I tried several solutions. Including, not installing the problematic windows KB updates.
I tried to reinstall my windows from my recovery partition and then disabled automatic driver update.
Then I freshly installed Intel HD graphics driver and nVidia driver. It didn't help.
Then I tried to disable Intel HD graphics, it looks like if I disable HD graphics then nVidia chip also stops working (which is weird, it looks like regular desktop graphics is usinf Intel HD and when I use 3D application it uses nVidia GPU).

Then I tried to install an older Intel HD graphic. but it didn't help.

(PS: If tried connecting my LED TV using HDMI port, and it was working correctly. Even though the laptop screen went black, TV was still working.)

Still investigating, let's see if I can fix it.

pixelord, when you did the F9 recovery, did you select Refresh or Reset? If you didn't load from scratch - Reset - try that too. That should have solved it - Reset restores the laptop to the out of the box configuration - if the black screen wasn't happening out of the box, it also shouldn't happen after Recovery Reset.

You could also create a Asus Backtracker flash recovery drive and boot on it to restore. Same as F9 reset.

After you run out of options and are still experiencing the black screen, contact Asus and file a Technical Inquiry with all the things you tried, and you may need RMA... it's an odd one :)

https://vip.asus.com <== create a login, register your laptop, and file a Technical Inquiry.

Please let us know how it works out :)

pixelord
11-11-2014, 08:01 AM
Hi Scott,

I actually did Reset my windows 8.1 and installed it from scratch. Surprisingly, it was still showing black screen issue.
I dropped my laptop this morning to my retailer to look into the issue.

I called them few hours ago and they told me the technician was trying to check it thoroughly.

I'll post the update. :-)

Arsen
11-14-2014, 08:44 AM
Pixelord, do you have any news?

Sorkary
11-15-2014, 12:37 PM
Pixelord, could you give me any update about your situation please? I do have the same problem with the same laptop and my retailer had to send the laptop to Asus and I am already assuming the worst things. I mean they said I might have to wait 1 month for an awnser so if you know what is the problem beforehand and tell about it I would apprecciate a lot.

SuddenD
02-24-2015, 08:28 PM
I would also appriciate if you'd update on this subject. I've had my G550JK for 5 months, working just fine then one day the screen suddenly starts turning black once whenever I start a program/app/whatever (exactly the same problem as you described). Screen works again if you turn the PC off or put it in sleep mode (only if you alt f4 your way back to the desktop, otherwise black screen comes on right after logging in). After which I can reach the start screen where I log onto my user and even the desktop, but as soon as I start any program (chrome/word etc) the black screen returns. Everything runs in the background, and I can change screen light from keyboard etc. It's very annoying and I've tried about everything including but not limited to:
* Uninstalling all recent drivers.
* Manually uninstalling nvidia-drivers.
* Uninstalling recent windows updates.
* Resetting PC to former state (2 months back when everything worked perfectly) and disabeling auto-updates.
* Reboot system.

I suspect it has something to do with some windows update, but can figure out which one or why it remains even after rebooting the whole system.

Warranty still apply but I am reluctant to send my PC away because I need it for my studies/work.

SuddenD
03-09-2015, 09:12 AM
Pixelord, could you give me any update about your situation please? I do have the same problem with the same laptop and my retailer had to send the laptop to Asus and I am already assuming the worst things. I mean they said I might have to wait 1 month for an awnser so if you know what is the problem beforehand and tell about it I would apprecciate a lot.

Any news?

Mitchilled
01-08-2016, 02:30 AM
Any news? I have the same issue, it's incredibly frustrating