PDA

View Full Version : G751JT-CH71 Sound only playing through subwoofer. FIX??

BRSxIgnition
11-12-2014, 04:16 AM
PLEASE SEE CONDENSED THREAD REBOOT HERE:>
G751 Subwoofer-only Sound Problem OFFICIAL SUPPORT THREAD (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?54313)

As the title says, all of my laptop's audio is only playing through the Subwoofer.

After a few things went wrong with cloning my old drive onto my new SSD and I ended up needing a fresh install of windows 8.1 x64 Pro - I've now gotten my computer to it's previous state, and I've transferred my files over + downloaded and installed all drivers from the ASUS G751JT support page. (Including the audio driver: "Audio_Realtek_Win81_64_VER6017335")

Thing is, after doing a speaker test now - finally in a place where I can hear them 100%, unlike the mall where I originally tested them - the sound is distinctly coming from only the subwoofer. If I make any level (Left/Right Volume) changes to the center/front/rear/subwoofer in the audio settings, only "front" makes any difference.

It makes the ONLY difference. (See: 0 = NO SOUND -> 100 = SOUND) Levels change completely normally when using headphones.

When I plug in the headphones, this screen pops up - if I go back to its settings, and select a 5.1 surround sound setting for my options, it says I have no side speakers. When I run the test and it lights up the speakers in the image while playing a sound on them, the results are the following:

Left & Right Channels play through Subwoofer
All other channels (Center, Rear Left & Right, Subwoofer) fail and do not play a sound. (Though the ambient noise of it failing to play a sound can still be heard from the subwoofer)

Before you recommend it, deselecting "Swap Center / Subwoofer Output" does nothing.

.... What do I do?

toronto699
11-12-2014, 04:28 AM
un check "Swap center/subwoofer" in device manager go to "sound video game controllers" check if audio driver is installed correctly , on my unit other devices is my printer

BRSxIgnition
11-12-2014, 04:53 AM
Like I said, "Swap Center / Subwoofer" does not work or do anything.

From what I can tell, all the devices listed under "Sound, video and game controllers," aka:

Bluetooth Audio Device
High Definition Audio Device
NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device (Wave Extensible) WDM
Realtek High Definition Audio

...are working correctly. (There are no error symbols or anything)

toronto699
11-12-2014, 04:59 AM
"Realtek High Definition Audio" is your audio driver ,
code 28 could be a driver not installed correctly or a registry error.
find "Run" type "temp" in the run box delete all temp files , then type " %temp%" in the run box delete all those files reboot

BRSxIgnition
11-12-2014, 05:21 AM
How do I fix Code 28? Are we sure that that device/driver is the cause of the issue?

I did what you said about the temp folder, and other than Nvidia folders which were "in use in another program," I could delete all of them.

There was no change in the audio.

toronto699
11-12-2014, 05:30 AM
some files in temp will not delete as they are in use that's normal , usually code 28 is a driver that was not overwritten when it was reinstalled and causes an error in registry or by a files in temp that windows thinks are still in use usually code28 is an audio driver issue or usb issue , u can try reinstalling the audio driver. it could be one missing install code or ini file that did not install correctly
I checked Microsoft error page thats what Microsoft error code pages said code 28 is

BRSxIgnition
11-12-2014, 05:40 AM
I have tried reinstalling the audio driver multiple times now...

I'll try getting it right from Realtek but I don't think it will work.

BRSxIgnition
11-12-2014, 05:51 AM
UPDATE: MY SPEAKERS ARE NOT DEAD.

I decided that as a last ditch resort, I would delete all audio drivers in device manager and reboot, essentially forcing "general use" microsoft drivers to take the place of the old ones. It worked, but there are now 3 "Speaker"-labeled "High Definition Audio" devices listed under sound. Two of them are listed as connected, and after playing the test tone, one of them is for the two rear speakers, and one of them is for the subwoofer. The last "device" is labeled speakers, but is "disconnected." (I think it's the thunderbolt port)

(The top "speaker" is the back speakers, the bottom "speaker" is the subwoofer.)

What driver do I install to combine the two working "devices"?

Can I even do so?

toronto699
11-12-2014, 06:05 AM
why not install the audio driver from your G751JT software page , the same way by uninstalling audio driver from device manager then installing the realtek V 60117335

BRSxIgnition
11-12-2014, 06:14 AM
why not install the audio driver from your G751JT software page , the same way by uninstalling audio driver from device manager then installing the realtek V 60117335

I will try that. Hopefully it works this time and it doesn't end up like the first time I "fresh installed" it.

Wish me luck.

toronto699
11-12-2014, 06:21 AM
when u did fresh install , driver I assume did not install correctly

BRSxIgnition
11-12-2014, 06:37 AM
Well it didn't install correctly this time either. It still plays on the subwoofer only.

Even worse, when I did a system restore to when I had split the sound devices, neither actually play any sound now. I'm going to try uninstalling the drivers again to redo what I did to split them.

While I do that, any other ideas?

BRSxIgnition
11-12-2014, 07:11 AM
Alright, after another attempt, I have found out that to get windows drivers to detect both speakers - main set and subwoofer - I need to uninstall the devices and delete the driver data that Realtek installed. So at least now I know how to get back to a semi functional state.

Now are there any ideas about what the problem is that is causing this, and how to get my speakers + subwoofer to work together again?

thamann2000
11-12-2014, 01:59 PM
Id like to cosign this issue. I am having the same problem. I thought the sound was "off" out of the box. So I tried a few things and spoke to tech support. Nothing they recommended worked. Instead of sound come from rear, I only have audio from subwoofer. The subwoofer should be primarily bass. Instead I have no bass, and just audio from the sub.

Here's where it gets interesting. Amazon had lost my initial package and sent me a replacement. But just yesterday the lost laptop showed up. Before sending it back I tested the audio. In addition to having a broken F9 key and six distinct burnt pixels, the sounds had the exact same issue. interesting. ASUS FIX PLEASE!!

BRSxIgnition
11-12-2014, 04:00 PM
I was hoping if I went to sleep I could wake up the next morning and have more replies about things to try..

Is there anything else I can do about this?

I'm currently sitting around with a system that can use either the main speakers or subwoofer, but not both in tangent. I want to fix this. I have labeled both and both produce sound fine, I just can't seem to get them to wotk together.

I am unsure if it is related, but under "Other Devices" in Device Manager, I have something called "Unknown Device" which has the following status: "The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28) There are no compatible drivers for this device."

I do not know if this is related to the speaker issue or completely separate.

toronto699
11-12-2014, 04:25 PM
http://www.station-drivers.com/index.php/component/remository/Drivers/Realtek/Audio/Realtek-High-Definition-Audio-(HDA)/orderby,2/page,2/?Itemid=0 here is a list of realtek audio drivers , maybe try , I find it upsetting that uninstalling driver from device manger did not work , as it usually does. there are 2 pages of realtek drivers , in the station driver forum there are more with some comments about how they work

toronto699
11-12-2014, 04:39 PM
http://support2.microsoft.com/mats/hardware_device_problems/ maybe this will help Microsoft tool email from Microsoft said try this for code 28 error

BRSxIgnition
11-12-2014, 04:54 PM
Thank you, but the tool didn't work. All it did was scan for hardware changes and then tell me everything was fixed. (Unknown Device is still listed, with no changes)

I'm going to try repairing the Intel Chipset Drivers, as well as the ATKPackage, if neither work, I'll try downloading a different realtek driver.

BRSxIgnition
11-12-2014, 05:04 PM
Installing the other realtek driver does the same thing as the Asus-provided one, it plays the sound through the subwoofer only...

toronto699
11-12-2014, 05:09 PM
if I had this problem id start with bios from the jt driver page and reinstall everything one driver at a time at a time work my way down the driver page audio would be last thing id install

BRSxIgnition
11-12-2014, 05:15 PM
if I had this problem id start with bios from the jt driver page and reinstall everything one driver at a time at a time work my way down the driver page

That's what I'm thinking of doing. I just have two questions:

What is a good program to get rid off all the bad drivers?
How do I update/re-install the BIOS? (I REALLY don't want to mess that up....)

Thank you very much for all your help so far.. Hopefully we can fix this...

BRSxIgnition
11-12-2014, 08:24 PM
It didn't work.

It's pushing audio only through the subwoofer, again.

(I now have ROG Audiowizard and Realtek Audio Manager programs, but that doesn't do much with the speakers the way they are.)

I'm heading to work - I'll fiddle with it tonight in 10 hours and tomorrow morning....

Ugh.

stoop14
11-12-2014, 11:59 PM
Just got my g751jy and sound only from sub also :(

BRSxIgnition
11-13-2014, 02:08 AM
I've uninstalled/reinstalled all drivers from the G751JT support page on the ASUS website, and even updated the BIOS to its newest version, and the Audio Driver still pushes sound through the Subwoofer.

It's a software issue, since I can tell the speakers themselves are working, so I really don't want to have to go and return the entire PERFECTLY GOOD system because some of the drivers aren't co-operating...

It's so frustrating. I wonder if MarshallR could set us up with some support?

hmscott
11-13-2014, 03:53 AM
As the title says, all of my laptop's audio is only playing through the Subwoofer...

BRSxIgnition, sorry you got sucked into the maw of Realtek, it happens to all of us eventually :)

It looks like they added simulation of Surround sound speakers, or it is an actual mistake in the program in this version Vis--vis the G751.

For reference, here is your dialog again.

First, when you have a subwoofer, you don't want to enable Full Range Speakers for your L/R speakers - and the surrounds are simulated so disable it for them too. You want the Subwoofer to handle the low frequencies and not burden the L/R speakes with low end signal - blurring the signal for the frequencies it should be getting - taking away from the sound - maybe even introducing distortion - certainly removing capacity from the speaker in the frequency range it is best.

You only have a 2.1 system built in, so don't enable 5.1 for the speakers - look at the little room/speaker graphic, you don't have that :)

I don't have a G751 to debug this for you - I would normally set it up like I see you have it set up - thanks for posting the snippet of the control panel settings. So I can't suggest the exact fix... yet.

Click on the drop down for the Speaker Configuration, and either select Stereo or 2.1, if Stereo / 2.1 has a check box for Subwoofer, make sure it is checked, uncheck the Full Range check boxes, uncheck the Swap Center/Subwoofer Output.

Change to match real physical speaker configuration

That should match the physical configuration you actually have.

That should take you back to reality, and the sound should come out of all 3 speakers, L/R/Sub.

Now you likely need to adjust the subwoofer "volume" - strangely you can't do that in this dialog - you need to do it in the Sound Control panel for the Speakers Properties, and should look something like this:

From the experience with the G750, the subwoofer overdrives if set to 100%, but starting at 50% you should be good - not distort - on most material - once you are ready to tune it, you can slide up the drive to the subwoofer when listening to your favorite material at the max volume - and normal volume - to get the best match of fullness and non-distortion.

Now, getting back to the surround simulation capability, you can go back to the dialog, and try these settings while on Surround 5.1 Speaker configuration: Uncheck both Full-range Speakers check boxes, uncheck the Swap Center / Subwoofer Output, and check the Speaker Fill box - that is the key one to fill in the surround signal to the speakers you have from the speakers you are simulating. After that works, try enabling Bass Management and see if it lets you set the subwoofer driver %.

Change to match surround emulation configuration on 2.1 physical speakers

Please let us know how that works for you, and if you find anything else of interest while checking/unchecking things suggested - images too :)

BRSxIgnition
11-13-2014, 07:15 AM
Thank you very much for your input hmscott, it's very helpful.

I will try your recommendations once I try something I thought up.

I noticed in Device Manager that there were 1 or 2 NVIDIA Audio drivers, either virtual or non-virtual, so I have uninstalled all of my Nvidia programs/drivers, and I will be installing Realtek's Audio Drivers before them this time. (As well as trying to avoid downloading the "Audio" portion of NVIDIA's drivers.

I may be barking up the wrong tree, but I hope I'm right. (Or you are, haha.)

I'll let you all know.

BRSxIgnition
11-13-2014, 07:49 AM
Alright - so that didn't work. Both options seems to have failed.

Installing Realtek's Audio Drivers first did nothing, and then changing the settings to stereo also still pushes the sounds to the subwoofer rather than full speakers. The below image is of what my stereo options are, and changing the "Front Left / Right" option or "Surround" option both do nothing. I can hear both test tones, but they're distinctly coming from the subwoofer, not the speakers.

More help would be greatly appreciated, hmscott - hopefully we can find the solution to this, not just for me, but so others can avoid this driver hell. Other than this glaring flaw, the machine is AMAZING, which just makes it hurt MORE.

thamann2000
11-13-2014, 08:41 AM

Installing Realtek's Audio Drivers first did nothing, and then changing the settings to stereo also still pushes the sounds to the subwoofer rather than full speakers. The below image is of what my stereo options are, and changing the "Front Left / Right" option or "Surround" option both do nothing. I can hear both test tones, but they're distinctly coming from the subwoofer, not the speakers.

More help would be greatly appreciated, hmscott - hopefully we can find the solution to this, not just for me, but so others can avoid this driver hell. Other than this glaring flaw, the machine is AMAZING, which just makes it hurt MORE.

I have been closely following and somewhat mimicking brs is doing and I am getting identical results. I've tried everything listed here. When I deleted the driver and let Microsoft put in a dummy driver I got great sound from my speakers and my sub albeit separately. So it's not a hardware issue. I am on my fourth chat with asus support. No offense but these guys are LOST. one guy told me my computer came with only a sub. Another made me wait 5-6 minutes for every responsible. Hmscott and Marshall, please pass on to your superiors that the chat is not fairing well.

With all that said, this is the greatest piece of comp tech I've ever owned so I'm going to wait till the last day at the 11th hour before I return this laptop. Allegedly I'm getting a call or email in 4-5 hours with instructions for help. That rep who advised of that disconnected our chat prematurely so I'm not hold my breath.

hmscott
11-13-2014, 08:57 AM
I have been closely following and somewhat mimicking brs is doing and I am getting identical results. I've tried everything listed here. When I deleted the driver and let Microsoft put in a dummy driver I got great sound from my speakers and my sub albeit separately. So it's not a hardware issue. I am on my fourth chat with asus support. No offense but these guys are LOST. one guy told me my computer came with only a sub. Another made me wait 5-6 minutes for every responsible. Hmscott and Marshall, please pass on to your superiors that the chat is not fairing well.

With all that said, this is the greatest piece of comp tech I've ever owned so I'm going to wait till the last day at the 11th hour before I return this laptop. Allegedly I'm getting a call or email in 4-5 hours with instructions for help. That rep who advised of that disconnected our chat prematurely so I'm not hold my breath.

thamann2000, I don't work for Asus :)

BRSxIgnition/thamann2000, not sure what is going on, since many have reported working 2.1 separation. I don't know if it was a driver update, misconfiguration - like turning off Speaker Fill and turning on Full Range and Swap Sub/Center - ( you never do that - except in 1 particular instance ) while under 5.1, or moving from Stereo/2.1 to 5.1.

If the underlying infrastructure drivers were installed correctly, the 2 settings scenarios I outlined above would have both worked.

Somehow you both need to get back to the out of the box configuration, and start again - note the changes / updates you make and retest Speaker Integrity after each change - to find out what it was.

If you haven't created an Asus Backtracker USB 3.0 16GB flash drive for recovery, I would do it now - in case an F9 reset fails to work properly - you need that recovery flash drive as a fail safe backup.

Then you can do an F9 reset and put things back to the out of the box experience. And test the speakers without making any changes.

If you would please post Snipping Tool screen shots of the out of the box RealTek and Sound control panel settings for the Speakers - each tab - so we now how it is set out of the box.

That way you will have a known good base to work from. :)

AFAIK, things were working fine out of the box before updates, drivers, and your own tweakings / tuning. Let us step back and get it working out of the box, then recreate the changes you made to find out which one(s) broke function.

It may be that the version of Realtek HD Manager you have is a different branch than the ones with higher rev numbers online - the graphic is newer looking and not the same as I see on my G750, or anyone else's G750 - so you probably shouldn't download and install Realtek drivers from the G750 download areas, or from Realtek directly.

Please post what you see / find out :)

thamann2000
11-13-2014, 01:01 PM
I NEVER changed anything. My sound was only through subwoofer out of box. Period. Only change I made was downloading new driver like I was told to by asus support

Sagi
11-13-2014, 03:07 PM
I NEVER changed anything. My sound was only through subwoofer out of box. Period. Only change I made was downloading new driver like I was told to by asus support

Did it work/fix the problem?

thamann2000
11-13-2014, 03:51 PM
Nothing so far recommended or suggested has worked including the last info given on the previous page. Again my sound didn't work out of the box. I didn't make any changes. As of now I have left the drivers removed and a getting good sound from the actual left and right speaker. The subwoofer is doing nothing. I am awaiting the contact from Asus in 4-5 hours which I was offered 8 hours ago. Will keep the forum posted like BRS has been. I am just glad to see everything is working physically. I am confident that any issue is software and driver related. And that's a good thing because I am NEVER giving this laptop up. It's just too nice.

BRSxIgnition
11-13-2014, 03:58 PM
I feel the exact same way, thamann. It's such an amazing laptop, I'd be gushing about it and posting a review if I didn't have this tiny-yet-MASSIVE sound problem.

As for HMScott's recommendation, I can't get back to what I had out of the box because I had a problem with cloning my hard drive to an SSD, I needed to do a fresh install. Once I had upgraded to Windows 8.1, I downloaded all the drivers on the ASUS G751JT support site, and no dice. I've even updated the BIOS.

Nothing I've tried so far wants to get these speakers working in tandem, it's either back speakers or subwoofer right now, not both. Since it's so obviously a software issue, I really don't want to return my machine, especially considering how great it is otherwise and all the work I did installing the SSD and such.

thamann2000
11-13-2014, 04:31 PM
One thing is for sure, when it is working, I think this will be the first time I have ever been fully satisfied with no shortcomings

BRSxIgnition
11-13-2014, 04:33 PM
One thing is for sure, when it is working, I think this will be the first time I have ever been fully satisfied with no shortcomings

Hahaha same - it feels good.

One thing I find odd, when I let Microsoft install its own drivers now, I get a third "speaker" audio playback device that says it's not plugged in. See above. Could this maybe be part of it? I don't know where this speaker would be located on the machine if so...

thamann2000
11-13-2014, 05:37 PM
When you enable that, sound comes from sub. There should be no highs only lows from the sub.

BRSxIgnition
11-13-2014, 05:58 PM
When you enable that, sound comes from sub. There should be no highs only lows from the sub.

The one that says "not plugged in"? It's enabled but it's "not plugged in."

I labeled the two working "Speaker" play back devices "Speakers" and "Subwoofer." When I select either, it pushes all the sound through the one I select.

That means this is another device, separate from the speakers under the screen and the subwoofer under the laptop. I wonder if this is what is causing the issue?

Why can't this just work?? This is annoying me so much...

Sagi
11-13-2014, 06:20 PM
Find the app called AudioWizard - Turn it off!

There you go, sound is fixed :)

Please never install something like that again ASUS!!!

BRSxIgnition
11-13-2014, 06:47 PM
Find the app called AudioWizard - Turn it off!

There you go, sound is fixed :)

Please never install something like that again ASUS!!!

.... Don't get my hopes up. That didn't do anything at all.

Sagi
11-13-2014, 07:43 PM
Sorry, worked like a charm for me tho :) But I think there is a lot of people out there with no bass or anything, wondering why the sound is so terrible.. This will fix it!

BRSxIgnition
11-13-2014, 07:52 PM
Sorry, worked like a charm for me tho :) But I think there is a lot of people out there with no bass or anything, wondering why the sound is so terrible.. This will fix it!

The problem we're having isn't about bad sound quality, it's about having proper sound at all. Our speakers are working but the drivers refuse to install properly and end up pushing sound only through the subwoofer, not the regular speakers.

We still need a solution to that problem.

thamann2000
11-13-2014, 08:37 PM
agreed

Sagi
11-13-2014, 11:02 PM
I actually DID have that problem - Sound was coming from the sub.

But it fixed it self once I turned that app off.

yupyup
11-13-2014, 11:28 PM
I actually DID have that problem - Sound was coming from the sub.

But it fixed it self once I turned that app off.

But are you getting audio from the right speaker? I did the same thing, audio sounds better "more bass" but im still not getting audio from right speaker, only from sub.

hmscott
11-14-2014, 01:58 AM

thamann2000, so it is a problem out of the box.

All of you with this problem should report it to Asus via a Technical Inquiry, so they can replicate then fix the problem in a new release of whatever driver(s) are causing this problem.

The more of you that report it, the higher visibility it will have on Asus list of things to fix.

https://vip.asus.com <== create login, register laptop, file Technical Inquiry

Perhaps get the word out not to waste a bunch of time debugging this right now, let Asus come up with a fix, and to file a Technical Inquiry reporting the problem.

It's weird that all of sudden a bunch of G751's have this problem out of the box, but the day before no such issue - for several weeks of release. It is unusual for the software release to be changed, once it goes GA the same release gets loaded on every built laptop.

It could be a problem with the OS build for one region, are all of you located in the same region?

Maybe let Asus know what version driver(s) came with your laptop. And ask people without the problem to list the driver versions they have.

Hopefully it is software related, it is possible Asus revved up the release again and new laptops have different versions.

BRSxIgnition
11-14-2014, 07:18 AM
Alright, I've sent the following message to ASUS VIP Support and I am looking at another possible fix that someone else may be using. I will let you know if it works.

Hello,

I have recently purchased the ASUS G751JT laptop, and after having to re-install windows 8.1 64bit fresh after a cloning error with my SSD, I am greatly enjoying it.

... Other than a single, glaring - hopefully software only - flaw. The speakers don't work. (At least not as intended.)

Installing the drivers on the ASUS G751JT Support Page for Audio, aka "Audio_Realtek_Win81_64_VER6017335" causes all audio signals to be pushed through the subwoofer. No sound comes through the two speakers by the screen/hinge at all.

However, I have realized that when I uninstall the Realtek Audio drivers and force Windows to use its own general "High Definition Audio Device" drivers, the machine detects 3 different "Speakers" as audio playback devices. (Also see: Image attached)

The first "Speakers" playback device is the main set of hinge/screen speakers. (If this is selected, sound plays through them, but not the subwoofer.)
The second "Speakers" playback device is listed as "not plugged in", and cannot be selected. (Unsure if this has anything to do with the issue, it began showing up after quite a few resets and error fixes, and may be related to an NVIDIA virtual audio driver)
The third "Speakers" playback device is the subwoofer. (If selected, sound only plays through subwoofer, and not the hinge/screen speakers.)

Because I can select the speakers separately when the Realtek drivers are uninstalled, I can confirm that physically, all of them are working. Sound can play through both the regular speakers and the subwoofer.

However I must choose one and not the other, and installing the Realtek drivers again pushes the sound through the subwoofer only. (Again.)

I am unsure what is causing this, but I'd like a fix to be looked into. I am not the only one experiencing this issue.

If you would like more information, please read the following forum threads thoroughly, as I have posted my attempts at fixing the issue in them:
http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/765155-g751jt-ch71-sound-only-playing-through-subwoofer-fix.html
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?53560-G751JT-CH71-Sound-only-playing-through-subwoofer-FIX

PLEASE fix this issue. I want to keep this laptop - it's great - but if I/you can't fix this, I will have to return the machine.

Thank you in advance.

Sagi
11-14-2014, 01:23 PM
But are you getting audio from the right speaker? I did the same thing, audio sounds better "more bass" but im still not getting audio from right speaker, only from sub.

No I'm not .. Or at least it's hard to tell if I am - All my sound seems to be coming from leftside of the laptop.

It doesn't really bother me tho, I don't even pay attention to it doing games..

BRSxIgnition
11-14-2014, 04:53 PM
No I'm not .. Or at least it's hard to tell if I am - All my sound seems to be coming from leftside of the laptop.

It doesn't really bother me tho, I don't even pay attention to it doing games..

The subwoofer is on the left of the laptop. Put your ear near the front left corner, then the back left corner by the screen.

You should be able to tell where the sound is coming from at that distance, and it's likely you have the same issue as us.

BRSxIgnition
11-14-2014, 06:17 PM
It looks like I'm going to have to return this machine.. MarshallR hasn't stepped in with any advice, ASUS Support likely won't have any information, and I've exhausted my last option. (Using a driver that has been confirmed to work on the G751JY, Realtek v7348)

What should I do...? Returning it will be a giant bother (Going across the border, shipping it back, etc.), and I'll be left without a computer until I get a new one, which I don't even know what systems to look at. (Other than the apparently inherently flawed G751...)

Seriously ASUS?

hmscott
11-15-2014, 02:53 AM
It looks like I'm going to have to return this machine.. MarshallR hasn't stepped in with any advice, ASUS Support likely won't have any information, and I've exhausted my last option. (Using a driver that has been confirmed to work on the G751JY, Realtek v7348)

What should I do...? Returning it will be a giant bother (Going across the border, shipping it back, etc.), and I'll be left without a computer until I get a new one, which I don't even know what systems to look at. (Other than the apparently inherently flawed G751...)

Seriously ASUS?

BRSxIgnition, if you PM'd MarshallR@ASUS give him some time, follow up again in a day - it's the weekend now, so resend on Sunday/Monday his time. Marshall probably needs to do some research about it before confirming anything, it would be nice to get a quick response but not realistic.

How many days do you have to return to the seller? I would use all that time before sending back, especially if everything else is working fine.

If it is a software fix, there is no reason to return it.

Does the same thing happen with Headphones? For now you can drive external speakers direct or through a receiver.

What did Asus say in response to your Technical Inquiry?

If you put together a clear concise description of what you have tried / found and ask for the 1st Tier response to escalate up to a solution engineer, I think that is an eventually successful path.

I know you are frustrated with this problem, as there is no current solution, but there will be a solution and Asus or Realtek will post a fix.

Hang in there and enjoy the otherwise awesome laptop :)

BRSxIgnition
11-15-2014, 07:24 AM
I've just PM'd MarshallR, hopefully he can either get this issue noticed by the people at ASUS, or help us out directly. There is now another thread someone has made with the same issue we have, so the issue is clearly not a singular one-person problem.

How would I elevate my Technical Inquiry to get it looked at by a Solution Engineer? Could Marshall do that? Currently, I've received no response from them, and I sent the message above yesterday night, so I should receive some kind or response tomorrow at least. (I have the day off, luckily/unluckily enough.)

As for the number of days I have left, I have until December 6th, aka 22 days, until I can no longer return and ship my laptop back to Amazon. (In the US, which calls for a border crossing as well...) It doesn't even need to be said how much I want this to be a software issue with a simple driver fix, but I need it soon, otherwise I'll need to get a replacement. (From ASUS or Amazon, I don't care, I just want a replacement if it ends up taking that long.)

I understand that it's likely a software issue and a fix is incoming, but I've got very little spending money and after making a purchase this large, I expect better than the QC I've been seeing thus far. I just want a working laptop, and while everything else with my unit is fine - this is too big of a flaw for me to accept.

So yes, update/driver fix is nice and very much wanted, but I can't say this is the best experience I've ever had, and it's my first with ASUS.

Here's hoping it can even be fixed...

thamann2000
11-16-2014, 12:01 AM
We are still in same boat. I will say headphone sound is amazing so it's holding me over. I escalated again tonight. This is a debacle.

BRSxIgnition
11-16-2014, 01:19 AM
How do I escalate my technical inquiry? I put in a question the night before last, but I still haven't gotten a response.

thamann2000
11-16-2014, 01:47 AM
now ive got sound from all three but its like 90% subwoofer an 5% each side
how do I control the sound levels of each individual speaker?

BRSxIgnition
11-16-2014, 02:38 AM
Please post your fix!

To contol the levels for each speaker, you can find it by clicking the volume button on the bottom right and clicking mixing - adjust the sound levels for the appropriate speaker, until it reaches the level you want.

I'm currently away from mine, but I seriously hope you've found the fix for this - thank you very much!!

thamann2000
11-16-2014, 02:59 AM
If I am on the windows 8.1 desktop and I click the sound icon in the corner and then mixer four things are shown:

Device: Speakers
System Sounds
RealTek HD Audio Manager
Internet explorer which is open because I am using the browser

My sounds is coming out still - 90% from sub but there is distinct sound from the left and right. The issue now is that the total volume on the laptop is low anyway and so much comes from sub it is almost muffled. I have zero bass in this thing.

I found indidvual speaker controls in the volume settings but There is front, rear, center, and subwoofer. Only adjusting front works and it only lets me raise or lower the overall sound of the laptop for all speakers. Im giving it till 6p Monday then returning. The customer service has been beyond horrid, broken promises, no calls or emails back, no solutions. I applied every available update. I flashed the bios(the winflash app on asus website doesn't even work). This is going from a great experience towards a disaster. I just want vibrant powerful sound. For $1500 plus tax I deserve. And amazon still wont even give me the free game and no one is willing to help with that. Beyond frustrated.

thamann2000
11-16-2014, 03:09 AM
sorry for venting, just so disappointed in ASUS. But I was looking forward to this I waited so long and even traded in a g750 for this.

thamann2000
11-16-2014, 03:13 AM
Ok heres a comparison between the speaker properties hmscott has on his g750 and what I have on my g751 - remember only he front setting does anything. The top photo and bottom right are mine. And there is no 2.1 dropdown in the realtek audio manager screen. Only 5.1 or stereo or quadraphonic.

BRSxIgnition
11-16-2014, 03:19 AM
No problem - I'm feeling similar, I'll be so happy with my purchase if I can just get the speakers working, otherwise I'll need to keep asking for a replacement until I get one that works.

I really hope that Asus steps in and starts investigating a solution, this isn't a single person issue anymore...

Until then, how did you get yours working? Perhaps we can go from there?

thamann2000
11-16-2014, 03:34 AM
do your speaker properties look like mine or hmscott back on previous page?

BRSxIgnition
11-16-2014, 03:41 AM
When the drivers are installed it looks like yours, but I can't check and be 100% until I get home and check it in person.

What did you do to get it working in the right direction?

Exostenza
11-16-2014, 05:22 AM
Same issue as everyone else here as well with the G751JY from Canada. 90 percent of the sound is from the subwoofer so it sounds like everything is from the left side and hardly any sound from the speakers. I tried everything here with no positive results. I was wondering why the sound on this mahcine sucked so hard compared to the MSI Dominator I had previously. Also, my audio preferences do not look like the one thamann2000 has posted and tweaking the level of the subwoofer does absolutely nothing. Using my headphones is fine for me so it is not a huge issue, but having someone over and watching a movie is going to suck because of the terrible, one sided and super tinny sound.

I hope we get a fix from Asus.

BRSxIgnition
11-16-2014, 07:38 AM
Before I state anything else, I want to urge everyone who is experiencing this issue to go to vip.asus.com, register their laptop, and submit a technical inquiry, explaining the issue clearly, and linking to this thread.

This is a big enough issue that ASUS needs to look at, and since my OS is a re-installed one, having others with the same issue on the base OS to back me up will be the key to getting a quick response and fix from ASUS.

do your speaker properties look like mine or hmscott back on previous page?

My windows look exactly like yours - and act the same it seems (only front makes a difference) - when I have the Realtek Drivers installed. Here are images of the playback devices & levels for each when the different drivers are installed...

Windows Default Drivers (Temp Fix) - Speakers are Default Device (Working/Tinny), Subwoofer is connected but not in use. (Working/Distorted) Selected device pushes all sound, un-selected device is ignored.

Realtek Audio Drivers (Problem) - Sound is pushed through Subwoofer only - all other speakers are silent, and all levels but front do nothing.

How did you get sound to come through all three at once earlier, Thamann? That info may be the key to a proper fix.

sati747
11-16-2014, 01:15 PM
I noticed early (when plugged in my headset and the Realtek HS Audio Manager popped up) the inability to get any sound except the front left and right. There are more "devices - subwoofer/real speakers" under quadraphonic and 5.1 speaker but you can get only sounds from those two front speakers. But my songs play OK (this is my first gaming laptop of any kind) and sounds from Netflix is acceptable. I thought since I dont really have real speakers on my laptop that's why it is not working -- those settings are maybe only for when you connect your laptop to external advanced sound systems. My settings in Control Panel - Sound is exactly the same as you guys. The songs although plays OK but you can tell it is mainly from the left side. Do I have a problem?

sati747
11-16-2014, 01:19 PM
BTW, I have a G751JT-CH71 with original OS from ASUS.

Tergon
11-16-2014, 02:32 PM
I will report this once I register, just waiting till Nov 24, as I still am covered under Canada Computers in store warranty on the laptop. I defiantly have the same problem though, noticed it right away. I had originally bought a G750JZ, it had great sound, crazy loud and lots of bass, then returned it for the G750JY, for oblivious reasons, much better video card and about the same price. Will send in tech inquiry as soon as in store warranty is up. perhaps a cut/paste, responds should be made up, with all the current details needed listed, so as not to miss anything, I haven't read the entire thread, so not sure what all has been tried as yet. Cheers

sati747
11-16-2014, 02:44 PM
In my earlier post -- I meant "rear" speakers.

BRSxIgnition
11-16-2014, 03:09 PM
BTW, I have a G751JT-CH71 with original OS from ASUS.

It sounds like you have the same issue, but you're at the windows driver stage. When you play music, do you hear anything from the underside of the laptop? Are sounds mainly coming from the front left corner of the machine? Or is there no sound coming from the sub, and only distant sound coming from the main (hinge) speakers?

If you check your playback devices under the volume icon (right click) which of the images in my last post does it look like? Realtek or Windows?

I will report this once I register, just waiting till Nov 24, as I still am covered under Canada Computers in store warranty on the laptop. I defiantly have the same problem though, noticed it right away. I had originally bought a G750JZ, it had great sound, crazy loud and lots of bass, then returned it for the G750JY, for oblivious reasons, much better video card and about the same price. Will send in tech inquiry as soon as in store warranty is up. perhaps a cut/paste, responds should be made up, with all the current details needed listed, so as not to miss anything, I haven't read the entire thread, so not sure what all has been tried as yet. Cheers

There should be no issue with registering it to report the issue and still using your return period to return or replace it if nessecary and everything else fails. So no worries.

sati747
11-16-2014, 03:54 PM

Playback devices screenshot is attached.
I still somehow feels songs play OK though (better than my old Lenovo laptop anyway :-)). I am not really a "stereo" person to tell the differences all sounds are from speakers or the sub. Sounds are mainly from the left side (stereo effect is still noticeable although it is much better when I put the headset on) -- I guess this is normal since the speaker is at the bottom left. Anyway, I just registered and posted a technical inquiry with a link back to this forum thread.

BRSxIgnition
11-16-2014, 04:21 PM
Yeah, that's how mine looks and works when I have realtek installed.

There's some stereo effect on the subwoofer, but it's only because it's channeling the left and right sound signals, not because of a change in position like the two rear speakers. (Single point vs. Two Point)

I recommend uninstalling the Realtek High Definition Audio Device AND Driver in Device Manager, under "Sound, Video and Game Controllers" - then right click your computer name at the top and "Scan for Hardware Changes."

It will install the Windows dummy drivers and you'll be able to select the actual back stereo speakers from the "Playback Devices" tab when you click your Sound button.

You still wont get any sound from the subwoofer until we get a proper fix, but it's better than nothing.

sati747
11-16-2014, 05:18 PM
I did what you said above and now my sounds are all screwed up LOL. I reinstalled the Realtek driver back and the "rickness" of stereo sounds are gone and the "loudness" is obviously much lower now. And I dont get sounds when plugged in my headset anymore. :-| I guess there is a "sequence" that drivers need to be applied. I will tweak a little more see if I can get my sound back ; otherwise I am going to start my last resort - restore to the factory image.

BRSxIgnition
11-16-2014, 05:40 PM
I did what you said above and now my sounds are all screwed up LOL. I reinstalled the Realtek driver back and the "rickness" of stereo sounds are gone and the "loudness" is obviously much lower now. And I dont get sounds when plugged in my headset anymore. :-| I guess there is a "sequence" that drivers need to be applied. I will tweak a little more see if I can get my sound back ; otherwise I am going to start my last resort - restore to the factory image.

???

Both me and Thamann have done that and gotten sound out of the back speakers - did you switch your default device to the other speaker output before testing it? There should have only been one device/driver you needed to uninstall, then a reboot (or scanning for hardware changes) would install the general drivers and you'd be able to get sound out of the back speakers...

This keeps getting more and more confusing. I hope your restore works.

stoop14
11-16-2014, 07:24 PM
Ya it almost sounds like there might be some sound from the speakers under the screen but it's really hard to tell. I tried the Uninstall of the real audio drivers to see if the windows drivers would work but it then wouldn't play any sound (maybe it didn't install windows drivers?) So I reinstalled real audio drivers and back to sound from sub and maybe some from the speakers under screen!

BRSxIgnition
11-16-2014, 11:14 PM
After deleting the Realtek Drivers completely, you need to reboot your machine for windows to detect the devices and install its own drivers.

I do that, and that works for me. (At least it gets sound working again)

stoop14
11-16-2014, 11:36 PM
It did reboot when I Uninstaller the real talk audio

sati747
11-17-2014, 01:23 AM
Just finishing up restoring factory image. My headset port is now back to normal. There must be a sequential driver installation one needs to follow. I am not playing with it anymore. Scary moments there -- thought I bricked the headphone jack/port.

_
11-17-2014, 02:44 AM
I've asked our G series team to confirm the support site drivers work/don't work on a fresh Win 8.1 install.

Note that we don't support/expect drivers direct from Realtek website to work.

toronto699
11-17-2014, 05:09 AM
Ill confirm BRSxlgnition out of the Box "sound only playing from sub" on a New G751-JTDH72-CA from Canada Computes on 11/14/2014 their technicians could not get audio to work after an hour . I was to use it as my Back up Laptop

BRSxIgnition
11-17-2014, 05:44 AM
Thank you very much for that, MarshallR, we're all very hopeful that these issues can be fixed. If you need any information from anyone, please ask for it here or PM one of us.

Please be aware that not all of the "Subwoofer-only-Sound" problems originate from 8.1 fresh installs like mine, some, like stoop14's issues are from out-of-the-box.

Those with a 8.1 fresh install and the "Subwoofer-only-Sound" issue are:

Me - (BRSxIgnition)

Those with an out-of-the-box "Subwoofer-only-Sound" issue are:

Toronto699
Thamann2000 (x2)
Stoop14
Sati747 (Possibly not same issue, unknown)
Tergon
Exostenza

Those with unknown (OOB or 8.1 Install) cases of "Subwoofer-only-Sound" issue are:

Yupyup

The main linking feature is that our speakers still work when windows can find them, and that I believe we've all downloaded the Audio drivers from the support site. I've urged those affected to create a technical inquiry to explain their issues in more detail and link here for more information, so please look at those as well.

I hope this helps, MarshallR. Let us know if you need any information at all.

PS: Keep us updated on the chances for a fix, please!

thamann2000
11-17-2014, 09:08 AM
Also note I had the same problem out of box on two ch71s

thamann2000
11-17-2014, 09:15 AM
After all of the problems and emails and phone calls and chats and broken problems, asus better do something HUGE to make it up to us. Don't get me started on order delays and other things from the retailer, I've got my own issue with them. I'm about ready to send this thing back and demand a jy as compensation. I am beyond frustrated. If one person gave a Damn or followed up with me or followed through on a promise I'd be fine but it's been an utter failure from step one.

Exostenza
11-17-2014, 01:56 PM
@BRSxIgnition: I have an out of the box OS install and have changed nothing. All of my sound comes from the subwoofer and I get no bass what so ever.

G751JY from Canada

sati747
11-17-2014, 03:33 PM
There was one thing I noticed during tweaking to get my headphone port back (failed) -- If Microsoft drivers are used and you select one of the two speakers (you need to experiment, only 2 of them anyway) as the default, the front right speaker is much farther right (true right) to the keyboard. On my restored setting (headphone port is now functioning again), the "right" speaker is almost at the middle of the keyboard. ASUS needs to get this sound driver fixed. I am afraid to play around driver/sound settings -- it takes a lot of effort to restore and put all my applications/settings back.

BRSxIgnition
11-17-2014, 04:59 PM
After all of the problems and emails and phone calls and chats and broken problems, asus better do something HUGE to make it up to us. Don't get me started on order delays and other things from the retailer, I've got my own issue with them. I'm about ready to send this thing back and demand a jy as compensation. I am beyond frustrated. If one person gave a Damn or followed up with me or followed through on a promise I'd be fine but it's been an utter failure from step one.

I know how you feel Thamann, but as long as there's a fix for the sound issue that gets my speakers working as they should, I think I'm just so happy with the beast that is my G751 that I'll be alright.

It's been a long time since I've been this impressed with a laptop - it runs everything I throw at it, is built great, looks awesome, runs cool, has a great matte screen, etc.

If the sound issue gets fixed, I'll be alright.

@BRSxIgnition: I have an out of the box OS install and have changed nothing. All of my sound comes from the subwoofer and I get no bass what so ever.

G751JY from Canada

Updated, thank you, Exostenza.

There was one thing I noticed during tweaking to get my headphone port back (failed) -- If Microsoft drivers are used and you select one of the two speakers (you need to experiment, only 2 of them anyway) as the default, the front right speaker is much farther right (true right) to the keyboard. On my restored setting (headphone port is now functioning again), the "right" speaker is almost at the middle of the keyboard. ASUS needs to get this sound driver fixed. I am afraid to play around driver/sound settings -- it takes a lot of effort to restore and put all my applications/settings back.

That means it (the windows driver temp fix) is working. If you right click the device that sounds further back and right, and click test, it should play two stereo tones, one will play through the back left speaker, and one will play through the back right.

If you do this on the Realtek Drivers that you get from Asus, it will play both through the subwoofer, and there will be no discernible difference in where each comes from.

thamann2000
11-17-2014, 07:47 PM
I'm starting to think from better business bureau responses, Facebook posts, and various info online that this is par for the course for asus. I agree the machine is a beast so I hope I'm wrong. Been attempting to reach corporate office with no luck.

Tergon
11-17-2014, 09:31 PM
Gave up waiting sent in my tech inquiry this afternoon.

thamann2000
11-17-2014, 11:16 PM
I have two escalations pending and am speaking to an asus rep Jolene @ cl-jolene@asus.com. She has been zero help. Doesn't acknowledge there's a problem and keeps saying to return it for a refund or replacement. I tried to reason with her and escalate further but she's like a brick wall. She sounds like one of the people on the better business bureau website. No compensation, no authentic sorry, no real research into the problem.

If enough people escalate and email her with no resolution, we may need to consider class action status.

yupyup
11-17-2014, 11:54 PM
I'm also having this issue. I didn't test the speakers before installing the drivers. I haven't uninstalled the drivers either after seeing that it doesn't fix the problem. I would just like to see a reply from asus. Just for them to acknowledge the problem. Reminds me of the Lenovo y50 problem, where the screen was locked at 48hz. It never got resolved and I ended up not buying that laptop (thank god, g751 ftw!). I made sure to state this issue in my newegg review just so others would know.

BRSxIgnition
11-18-2014, 07:54 PM
I should be getting a response to my technical inquiry sometime today, so hopefully this whole thing starts going somewhere sometime soon.

My personal best guess is that there is unique to the G751JT-line that is causing this problem, or something unique to the support site drivers, but there are people who have G751JY's with the issue out of box, so I guess that's not very likely...

It's been forever since I've liked a computer this much - I'll replace it until I get a working model, but having a fix for the issue will be so much easier.

PS: Regarding replacements, if I clone the drive (currently my SSD) back onto the original 1TB that the laptop came with, there should be no issue returning it, right? Just in case I end up needing to.

k8tdog
11-18-2014, 09:13 PM
I though the sound issue was me until I read this thread. Add another out of the box sound from subwoofer only to the list.

BRSxIgnition
11-18-2014, 09:15 PM
I though the sound issue was me until I read this thread. Add another out of the box sound from subwoofer only to the list.

Just wondering, what model are you using? JT, JY. JM?

k8tdog
11-18-2014, 09:52 PM
G751jy-dh71.

BRSxIgnition
11-19-2014, 01:07 AM
So... It's 5PM - I sill haven't gotten any response from ASUS regarding my inquiry, even though I sent it in 48+ "business hours" ago.

So that's a thing.

Tergon
11-19-2014, 01:55 AM
This was Asus response:
Dear Valued Customer,

Thank you for contacting ASUS Customer Service.

My name is Pig and it's my pleasure to help you with your problem.

Please restore the BIOS for a try.
Restart the computer, enter the BIOS by rapidly tapping the F2 key during power-up. Switch to "Save & Exit" menu and select Restore Default. Press F10 save and exit.

Then please try to download and reinstall the Audio driver Version V6.0.1.7335 from the following link:
http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&s=719&m=G751JY&os=41&ft=4&f_name=Audio_Realtek_Win81_64_VER6017335.zip#Audio _Realtek_Win81_64_VER6017335.zip

Sorry for the inconvenience and hope this helps!

Welcome to refer Asus support website: http://support.asus.com/servicehome.aspx?SLanguage=en

If you continue to experience issues in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us.

An email survey will be sent to you within the next 5 days. Please be sure to rate the service I provided to you today.

Best Regards,
Pig
ASUS Product Support Team
888-678-3688

Pretty **** as far as I am concerned.

BRSxIgnition
11-19-2014, 02:01 AM
Has this method been tested?

It doesn't seem like it will work - on paper - but it is something we haven't tried yet.

thamann2000
11-19-2014, 04:37 AM
It doesn't work. I have bios 204 and reinstalled realtek 7335

BRSxIgnition
11-19-2014, 04:48 AM
Yeah, I've done the same.

Please reply that it doesn't work on whatever model yours is, as well as the G751JT that me and Thamann have.

Tergon
11-19-2014, 03:59 PM
Nothing seems to have fixed the problem. Running on G751JY, Canada, from canadacomputers. The best solution is enable 5.1 and disable rears and center option and swap center to sub output, best sound option available that I could figure out, still not the bass that should be, that I had on the G750JZ, that I had returned after a few days to buy the G751, much better GPU.

toronto699
11-20-2014, 02:39 AM
http://www.mediafire.com/download/988xp6tt7ddajca/Realtek_HDA_6.01.7378.7z
A Moderator @ Station-Drivers said these drivers may fix the sub only audio problem , lets hope if not there is no hope. Said after install to configure your speaker settings he said be sure to uninstall the RealTek Driver from Device Manager First,

SORRY Driver Did Not Fix Audio From Sub Only Problem

BRSxIgnition
11-20-2014, 04:13 AM
Currently restoring my system due to a failed windows update - please post if you try the above fix and it works! (Or if you do and it doesn't work...)

thamann2000
11-20-2014, 05:56 AM
Virus central. Tons of adware and spyware in the download including geek buddy. But I cleaned up the file and installed it anyway. Froze up my computer and corrupted several files

thamann2000
11-20-2014, 06:03 AM
Tried again. Confirmed no fix.

thamann2000
11-20-2014, 06:06 AM
And confirmed virus. Mcafee just caught it.

thamann2000
11-20-2014, 06:21 AM
Ok I am official defeated. Nothing I have tried works and the the customer service is abysmal. I don't think I want to start a new relationship with a company that is treating me this poorly. I CANNOT get through to their reps. Nothing I try or say works. I am not going to send it in for "software" repair and the potential not get it back until after the return policy is up. I tried. Im not going to bother with a lawsuit or a BBB complaint. It's past that, Read their BBB feedback. They just don't care and nothing makes me think they will start to

BRSxIgnition
11-20-2014, 08:41 AM
I'm tempted to believe you're right.

I waited and hoped (an extra 24 hours more than they said they'd be), and the only response I received was the following:

Dear xxxxxxxxxx,

Thank you for contacting ASUS Customer Service.
My name is John and it is my pleasure to help you with your problem.

For this issue, I need update this to the related department to help you solve the problem.

Welcome to refer Troubleshooting & FAQ for ASUS products in ASUS website:
http://support.asus.com/servicehome.aspx?SLanguage=en

If you continue to experience issues in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us.

An email survey will be sent to you within the next 5 days. Please be sure to rate the service I provided to you today.

Best Regards,
John
ASUS Product Support Team
xxx-xxx-xxxx

What garbage. The link doesn't even take me anywhere but the support site which I had a problem with ORIGINALLY. (I wasn't even pointed out what I should do from that point on.)

Come the hell on... This is really making me think about settling for a return and getting a plain, WORKING, non-gaming laptop just to save money and avoid ASUS...

Richdog
11-20-2014, 09:15 AM
ASUS support is truly terrible, they really should be shamed of providing such service. Any company with a good support system would be creating a proiblem record for this specific issue, and then relating all outstanding queries to it in the hope of solving it. The reply like you got is lazy, patronizing, and bordering on negligent.

Is telephone support completely unavailable?

Seriously, try contacting a well-known tech media site that reviewed this device, link them to this thread, and ask if they can do a follow-up article and contact ASUS support. Also email their marketing department, and any executives that you can find the email address of on the internet. Link them also to this thread and describe the situation in detail. It may help.

HERE IS A BIG LIST OF ASUS CONTACTS AT HIGHER LEVELS http://elliott.org/contacts/asus/

BRSxIgnition
11-20-2014, 09:14 PM
Yeah, I think I'm calling it quits - for the first time in forever, I think I rather actually be without a computer for a while and just wait. I've had it with all the issues this thing has, and I'm looking up an alternative 970m or equivalent computer.

Thing is, for me, I have to go back across the border to return mine - unless Amazon.com (US) accepts returns from across the border. (Canada)

They have a week to issue a patch for the "Sub-only-Sound" and Lower Left USB port issues, or I'm returning my computer and swearing off Asus for good, regardless.

k8tdog
11-21-2014, 12:59 AM
deleted realtek and am using windows default drivers. decent sound from left/right speakers is way better than tinny sound from subwoofer only. Additionally, it was throwing me off (positionally) in games. This is a gaming laptop after all.

_
11-21-2014, 01:56 AM
We are working on it guys! I understand your frustration but it takes time to resolve. Our Software RD dept. can't just magic a fix, even if you start emailing higher-ups. And unfortunately I've had food poisoning for the last 2 days so I've just got back to the internet sorry.

Please help us by running the following tool, zip+upload the results to Dropbox/Drive and PMing me the link to download. I will then send those files to our RD dept to analyze further.

Here is the tool: https://www.asuswebstorage.com/navigate/s/EF53C8E8311D4D7282CDD94521BD14E6Y

Please make sure you install the G751 support page drivers first. NOT ANY DIRECT FROM REALTEK.

TICKED BOXES:
General IO
HDA Drv IO
Dump Dat

Then click 'Dump' button. It will generate a text file to send to me.

Thanks!

Richdog
11-21-2014, 05:52 AM
We are working on it guys! I understand your frustration but it takes time to resolve. Our Software RD dept. can't just magic a fix, even if you start emailing higher-ups. And unfortunately I've had food poisoning for the last 2 days so I've just got back to the internet sorry.

Please help us by running the following tool, zip+upload the results to Dropbox/Drive and PMing me the link to download. I will then send those files to our RD dept to analyze further.

Here is the tool: https://www.asuswebstorage.com/navigate/s/EF53C8E8311D4D7282CDD94521BD14E6Y

TICKED BOXES:
General IO
HDA Drv IO
Dump Dat

Thanks!

Then as someone who works for ASUS, please let us KNOW you are working on it a little more often please, be more vocal and visual, and chase your teams for updates as often as possible, giving them information from these threads. Our frustration stems from BS support replies from ASUS, and a lack of comfort from your side. You talk like; "we are working really hard and can't magic a fix" without acknowledging that the laptops were SHIPPED Like this in large numbers and clearly NO TESTING was done on them to ensure they reached us in the condition we expect form a luxury item. The fact that the speakers do not work for so many people in a highly repeatable problem is simply inexcusable, and simply awful quality control.

Please don't take it personally, but you just happen to be the rep of a company known for providing bad support, and at this time there are a lot of highly annoyed users who have just spent 2k+ on a laptop with what are quite frankly unacceptable common problems. Someone at ASUS needs their job giving to someone who can design laptops that function as intended out of the box.

And please make a response in the USB port problems thread too, I want to know ASUS are working on this issue which has apparently been around a LONG time! http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?53877-G751-Problem-with-USB3-0-ports-(left-side)-and-external-HD-anyone-else

PS: Thanks, get well soon and sorry about the food poisoning. :)

BRSxIgnition
11-21-2014, 05:55 AM
MarshallR, do you want us to have the drivers installed or uninstalled when we run the tool?

Does it matter?

Thank you very much for the update - please keep the info coming as it becomes available!

_
11-21-2014, 06:19 AM
Yes yes yes - please make sure the support page drivers are installed BEFORE you start. Sorry, should have confirmed that.

(Also, it's Friday afternoon here now so if you all can send me the files over the weekend I can pass them on Monday morning)

_
11-21-2014, 06:21 AM
Then let us KNOW you are working on it a little more often please, be more vocal and visual, and chanse them for updates as often as possible, giving them information from these threads. Our frustration stems from BS support replies from ASUS, and a lack of comfort from your side. You talk like "we are working really hard and can't magic a fix" without acknowledging that the laptops were SHIPPED Like this in large numbers and NO TESTING was done on them to ensure they reached us in the condition we expect form a luxury item. Don't take it personally, but you just happen to be the rep of a company known for providing bad support, and at this time there are a lot of highly annoyed users who have just spent 2k on a laptop with what are quite frankly unacceptable common problems. Someone at ASUS needs their job giving to someone who can design laptops that funciton as intended out of the box.

There is considerable testing and validation done before shipping all ASUS products. Feedback here is a very small percentage of the overall sales we do.

Richdog
11-21-2014, 06:25 AM
oops dp

Richdog
11-21-2014, 06:28 AM
There is considerable testing and validation done before shipping all ASUS products. Feedback here is a very small percentage of the overall sales we do.

Marshall, how are we supposed to believe there is "considerable testing on all products" when the problem is so widespead? There will be a TON of people who buy this laptop and never report the problem as they probably think the speakers are crappy but working as intended... only more demanding people like us actually take the time to chase and report this. If you read the main notebook forums there are more horror stories about ASUS support than any other manufacturer I have seen. Something is not right with your company.

BRSxIgnition
11-21-2014, 06:47 AM
Richdog - this isn't the place to argue points like those - let's just work on getting THIS issue resolved for now, then we can worry about other issues or the company as a whole.

I'll be sending in my dump file sometime late tonight or early tomorrow morning.

Thanks again for the help MarshallR, please continue talking with them for a fix so we can keep our otherwise-beastly computers.

Richdog
11-21-2014, 06:47 AM

Sagi I am having similar thoughts here. When I play a songand I switch Audiowizard off the sound is a TON clearer, and sounds much more "full", like its coming from more than just the main subwoofer )although the majrotiy of sound is still at the front). It has bass. If I switch to "Multimedia" setting then the sound loses all of its bass and body, and really sounds like it is specifically coming from the front left corner.

I'm starting to think they are actually working properly with Audiowizard "Off", and that the speakers are just an especially bad design where the sound is directed out of the front left. If that is the case and there is no "fault" per se, then this is something I can live with, as I really don't expect much from laptop speakers at the best of times.

Richdog - this isn't the place to argue points like those - let's just work on getting THIS issue resolved for now, then we can worry about other issues or the company as a whole.

I'll be sending in my dump sometime late tonight or early tomorrow morning.

Thanks again for the help MarshallR, please continue talking with them for a fix so I can keep this otherwise-beastly computer.

Its as good a place as any, and anyway I have said my piece now..

Tergon
11-21-2014, 10:20 PM
Well I ran the data dump and sent off a link via PM to MarshallR, lets hope.

BRSxIgnition
11-21-2014, 11:28 PM
Same here - hopefully the results help us get a fix.

Boaz Beatz
11-22-2014, 05:58 PM
asking if my audio is fine when i do the sound test in the windows audio settings i press the test sound thing and it shows that it plays from the left and the right speaker, does that mean my speakers are working and there is nothing wrong? sorry for the stupid question but im not sure if they are working correcly or not

BRSxIgnition
11-23-2014, 04:04 AM
Hearing both tones doesn't prove you are fine, unfortunately. If you place your ear above your space bar and listen carefully, do the tones you hear come only from the front left of the laptop, by the windows key, or do they come from the top left and right of the computer, by the hinge/bottom of the screen?

It should be easy to tell. The tones are slightly different, but will still be pushed either only from the sub, or from the back left and right speakers, if it's the former, you have the issue too.

crudetrader
11-23-2014, 04:39 AM
Been following this thread closely as i was just about to purchase but am waiting for a resolve, could i ask about another reported issue??
want this to hook up to 3 other displays as advertised, anyone have any issues or try this config? if so does anyone know can i go all three with thnunderbolt daisy or individual outlets?? hope im not distracting ..thanks

Exostenza
11-23-2014, 04:55 AM
Sent off my info to Marshal... let's how that we get a fix soon.

OT: I also have found that any BIOS over 202 limits us by a multiplier on the core which means slightly less performance which is a drag. This CPU is surprisingly underpowered for the GPU. I find it strange that most of the previous gen gaming laptops were the 4800/4810 and now they are all 4710. I wish we could overclock more like previous Asus ROG laptops!!!

hmscott
11-23-2014, 06:38 AM
Sent off my info to Marshal... let's how that we get a fix soon.

OT: I also have found that any BIOS over 202 limits us by a multiplier on the core which means slightly less performance which is a drag. This CPU is surprisingly underpowered for the GPU. I find it strange that most of the previous gen gaming laptops were the 4800/4810 and now they are all 4710. I wish we could overclock more like previous Asus ROG laptops!!!

Exostenza, as reported so far, the 203 BIOS reduced the multiplier, but the 204 restored it back to normal. And, I haven't seen a report back for the 205 BIOS yet.

The previous generation G750's were all 4700HQ,4710HQ until recently with the 4860HQ. The 48x0's are new... you might be thinking of the 4500, which was the other common part during the last generation.

Most of the other laptops had 4700MQ while the Asus ROG's had the HQ series, which has a couple important options for doing Virtual Machines.

I don't think the CPU is under powered in the things I am doing. You do know you can unlock the multipliers with Intel XTU - which now comes installed on the G751's. You can slide the sliders up for each core and the CPU cache.

Like this:

Increasing the Turbo boost wattage helps sustain performance through load peaks, recently was pointed out by another forum member. Stopped my glitches in some streaming video that had recently come about with a doubling of internet throughput from 60mbps to 120mbps.

Try it, you'll like it :)

Did you try the 205 BIOS yet? Are the multi's ok?

thamann2000
11-23-2014, 11:47 PM
OK so I got an email and thought there was progress from asus - still nothing just a bunch of nonsense. still no recourse, still saying they will do nothing to make this right for users when fixed, still no eta, honestly what ive read in the forum with marshall chiming in has been it. Going to give it a few more days but im getting antsy.

thamann2000
11-23-2014, 11:51 PM

Marshall I appreciate what you do and try to do. But this is not 100% true. This issue has been confirmed to appear in ALL CH71 laptops. The sound problem is for EVERYONE. I have and others have on many other forums and through amazon have yet to find one single person without the sound problem. I do believe you do testing and validation but in this particular case, asus blew it. Hopefully you guys get fixes in place soon so we can all keep our products so you don't get a massive amount of returns or have to do a recall. And lets pray that people using the sub for highs haven't damaged it up till now.

thamann2000
11-23-2014, 11:55 PM

Please make sure you install the G751 support page drivers first. NOT ANY DIRECT FROM REALTEK.

TICKED BOXES:
General IO
HDA Drv IO
Dump Dat

Thanks!

I am glad you took the time to say this, but it directly contradicts everything your reps have been saying. every rep I have talked to said there is no issue and to send my computer in at my cost for hardware repairs. im glad you woke them up.

thamann2000
11-24-2014, 12:29 AM
my dump file sent - but all of us first day purchasers are getting dangerously close to our return window closing

I know you guys need time but that is the one thing us end users do not have

I don't mean for my messages to be mean or rude but the time for niceties is over. We need to get moving on these issues asap.

Hopefully for future issues asus wont wait so long to acknowledge a problem and major error.

Exostenza
11-24-2014, 01:31 AM
Exostenza, as reported so far, the 203 BIOS reduced the multiplier, but the 204 restored it back to normal. And, I haven't seen a report back for the 205 BIOS yet.

The previous generation G750's were all 4700HQ,4710HQ until recently with the 4860HQ. The 48x0's are new... you might be thinking of the 4500, which was the other common part during the last generation.

Most of the other laptops had 4700MQ while the Asus ROG's had the HQ series, which has a couple important options for doing Virtual Machines.

I don't think the CPU is under powered in the things I am doing. You do know you can unlock the multipliers with Intel XTU - which now comes installed on the G751's. You can slide the sliders up for each core and the CPU cache.

Like this:

Increasing the Turbo boost wattage helps sustain performance through load peaks, recently was pointed out by another forum member. Stopped my glitches in some streaming video that had recently come about with a doubling of internet throughput from 60mbps to 120mbps.

Try it, you'll like it :)

Did you try the 205 BIOS yet? Are the multi's ok?

Hahaha! First of all I was that forum member that pointed that out to you! Second, 204 still hampers us as the max four core multi is 34x and not 35x as you can well see in your screenshots. My last gaming laptop was an MSI Dominator GT70 with a 4810MQ in it and it was 1600 bucks which is curious why this so much more expensive laptop has a worse CPU. I will try 205 soon, but I don't see why they would have missed it in 203 and 204 then all of a sudden fixed it in 205. I mentioned it to MarshalIR or whatever his name is in the same email that I sent my audio information in and I hope he gets back to me.

crudetrader
11-24-2014, 04:27 AM
im going to throw in my two cents here marshall as an individual who was just about to purchases the g751jt-ch71...i am no where near tech oriented as these folks are but to here the multiple back and forths over this time its hard for my little brain to understand why a multiply reported problem has not reached a solution,,, i understand some crucial data may have just been sent but please realize this is being viewed my many people such as myself and there would be no way i would lay out 1500 bucks with such a cluster*&^&** in regards to a sound fix,, i say this purely for feedback and not to be critical... i hope for all concerned , including myself this problem is fixed shortly

Visa_Declined
11-24-2014, 05:52 AM
im going to throw in my two cents here marshall as an individual who was just about to purchases the g751jt-ch71...i am no where near tech oriented as these folks are but to here the multiple back and forths over this time its hard for my little brain to understand why a multiply reported problem has not reached a solution,,, i understand some crucial data may have just been sent but please realize this is being viewed my many people such as myself and there would be no way i would lay out 1500 bucks with such a cluster*&^&** in regards to a sound fix,, i say this purely for feedback and not to be critical... i hope for all concerned , including myself this problem is fixed shortly

I ordered that same model a few hours ago through Amazon, but I'm fully expecting there to be something wrong with it once it arrives Wednesday. I'm sure there will be a fix for the speakers, but I've seen at least four people report that their keyboard had dragging, stuck, or non-responsive keys. The trackpad buttons not working has me worried also, because there are multiple people complaining about that as well.

Tonight I purchased my dream laptop, but instead of being happy and excited, I have a deep sense of dread that i'll simply be putting it back in its box, and shipping it back to Amazon.

Richdog
11-24-2014, 07:59 AM
My last gaming laptop was an MSI Dominator GT70 with a 4810MQ in it and it was 1600 bucks which is curious why this so much more expensive laptop has a worse CPU..

Basically, the cost of this laptop stems form the 980M... the CPU was kept as a 4710 to keep the price down. It's still a fast CPU, and at 3.5gz will do a decent job of powering the 980M, even better if you push it to 3.7ghz of course. It's not a top-end CPU, but it is regarded as a high-end one.

But anyway lets keep this about the speaker fix... not a thread for general rants.

BRSxIgnition
11-24-2014, 08:10 AM
Let's please keep this thread on the topic of the G751 sound issues, rather than CPU and such.

Thank you.

ggrr123
11-24-2014, 08:45 AM
The same problem with G751JM. Sound goes basically through subwoofer. I can change only "front" level. Changing "rear", "center" or "subwoofer" level makes nothing. When changing "front" balance all to the right, I can clearly hear sounds from the left side, out of subwoofer. If it is not a bug, when it is the worst notebook sound I have heard since 2007. Hope some fix will be found soon.

dapogz
11-24-2014, 01:13 PM
Hello, is this issue affects the 4 audio socket also?.. or just the built-in speakers thanks

Boaz Beatz
11-24-2014, 03:13 PM
Going on a 3 hour train ride just to get my laptop replaced

hmscott
11-24-2014, 03:31 PM

Boaz Beatz, it probably goes without saying to test for the same problem before you leave the seller, no matter how much they complain about checking it before you purchase/swap. Return the one you have for a full refund if they won't let you test it before purchase, and with the understanding that you get a full refund if the new one has a speaker problem too.

Likely as not, it will still have the same, or slightly different but still disappointing speaker problem. There are a lot of reports about the speakers not working correctly. Asus is working on a fix.

You could be in for a long wait for a fix, and it might require an RMA trip, we don't know yet, but you can't assume it is going to get fixed quickly.

Right now you can take it back and get your money back and wait for Asus to fix it before purchasing again, you might consider that alternative.

Have a nice trip, and please come back and let us know how it works out. Hopefully the one you get will work just fine out of the box :)

Cédric
11-24-2014, 03:32 PM

I hope this time your JT will run just perfectly. please give us some news.

crudetrader
11-24-2014, 04:29 PM
please let me know if you have any issues,,,im pretty close to purchase but hesitant for obvious reasons

Boaz Beatz
11-24-2014, 05:12 PM
On my way bck home now. Will post my findings tommo going to sleep if there is a prob i will return it for money back

BullFinch
11-24-2014, 05:21 PM
I have a G751JT-CH71. After initial subwoofer biased pitchy sound which I fixed it by updating the driver and turning Audiowizard off. However after above sound level 55 the sound creaks to the point of annoyance. Does this mean this machine has to go to service?

BRSxIgnition
11-24-2014, 05:25 PM
The same problem with G751JM. Sound goes basically through subwoofer. I can change only "front" level. Changing "rear", "center" or "subwoofer" level makes nothing. When changing "front" balance all to the right, I can clearly hear sounds from the left side, out of subwoofer. If it is not a bug, when it is the worst notebook sound I have heard since 2007. Hope some fix will be found soon.

Yeah, you have the issue then. I recommend leaving the Realtek drivers installed and using the program MarshallR provided us with a few pages back to create a file dump for the people at ASUS to check, when you have it, just PM it to Marshall and explain you have the subwoofer issue as well.

Since the issue is so widespread, and we've confirmed that the speakers aren't actually broken - just not receiving the right sound signals - I'd assume we'll be waiting.. maximum a month, for a fix. I hope they fix it before then.

Until then - AFTER using the dump program and sending MarshallR your file - you can restore sound tot he back left and right speakers by following this little guide:

Right click on "PC", click "Manage" and go to "Device Manager."
Select "Sound, Video & Game Controllers", and right click the Realtek Device. (There should only be one.) Select uninstall.
Make sure "Uninstall Driver Software?" or similar is checked. Confirm.
Either reboot or right click your PC name at the top of Device Manager list. Click "Scan for new Hardware Changes."
Go to "Audio Playback Devices" by right clicking the speaker symbol on the task bar on the right.
Select the other "Speakers" option, right click, and set as default. These are your back speakers. Test.
Viola.

This is how I proved that the issue is not hardware related, and is simply the software not being able to use both "Speaker" devices at the same. Enjoy your (slightly better) tinny speakers until we get our fix.)

please let me know if you have any issues,,,im pretty close to purchase but hesitant for obvious reasons

If you do purchase, it may be best to order from Amazon.com - since their return policy seems to be the longest, giving you the most time to wait for a fix. It's what I have.

I have until January 31st to return it, so I'm giving ASUS until January 16th - 21st to solve the issue.

I have a G751JT-CH71. After initial subwoofer biased pitchy sound which I fixed it by updating the driver and turning Audiowizard off. However after above sound level 55 the sound creaks to the point of annoyance. Does this mean this machine has to go to service?

Sounds like you have the issue where all sound - both Treble and Bass - is pushed to the subwoofer.

Follow the guide I created above to make sure all your speakers are physically fine. If so, wait for their patch/fix (If it will be out before your return period is up) If not, return it to get the speakers (hardware) fixed.

crudetrader
11-24-2014, 06:26 PM
thanks however im in florida where they charge 7% tax,, i was thinking of newegg,, strict 30 day return there though...interesting the few sales there are not reporting the sound issue,,, if i had to guess they are probably just hearing sound and assuming all is well.

Exostenza
11-25-2014, 08:33 AM
Anyone get a confirmation from MarshalIR regarding have received the audio information he asked for?

Richdog
11-25-2014, 11:58 AM
Anyone get a confirmation from MarshalIR regarding have received the audio information he asked for?

if you sent it to him at the right address, then I'm sure he will pass it on regardless of confirmation or not.

thamann2000
11-25-2014, 01:18 PM
I got confirmation

Boaz Beatz
11-25-2014, 03:06 PM
got my new laptop still bad sound i mean the sound sucks in the g751 laptops and the subwoofer makes it so the mouse pointer on the laptop vibrates and makes a sound so did the old one, but then again i got it at a cheaper price then they normaly cost and i can use headphones at least the cooling is good in it and the screen so im going to use it and ignore the sound and vibration issues

Tergon
11-25-2014, 04:18 PM
I got confirmation, he received it.

BRSxIgnition
11-25-2014, 07:14 PM
Confirmation here as well.

Mublur
11-26-2014, 06:31 PM
For me the sound did not work perfectly (as it never worked with G75VW either), it was constantly bumping up to 100%

Solution for all my sound problems was:

1) removing all sound devices from device manager
2) rebooting
3) unzipping the realtek driver into a directory
4) selecting "upgrade drivers" for one of the found sound devices (windows lists two devices for some reason)
4) selecting the realtek driver package directory as the source for new drivers

Edit: this way also the speaker outputs were selected correctly automatically, no need to enable/disable them after installation manually

the realtek installer does something else than just directly installing with the inf files in control panel. now i finally have no sound problems

This way it install

andreacos92
11-26-2014, 06:43 PM
And now it works in 2.1?
2 speakers and the subwoofer together?

Mublur
11-26-2014, 06:50 PM
Yes, for me it works in 2.1 currently. I will probably not upgrade the drivers even if ASUS releases something new as I'm afraid something similar will happen to G75 (never ending hunt for the right driver version from some obscure sites to get at least the basics working, such as headphones)

andreacos92
11-26-2014, 07:16 PM
Oh well!
What version of Realtek drivers have you installed?

Now let's wait that others try your way and post their feedback :)

crudetrader
11-26-2014, 08:24 PM
yes please, i would also like to know what specific driver you downloaded and what site you got it from? thanks

BRSxIgnition
11-26-2014, 08:41 PM
Can anyone see if this works on the "Subwoofer-only-sound" issue?

(Please say yes.)

thamann2000
11-26-2014, 10:27 PM
#hellaskeptical

cl-Albert
11-26-2014, 11:38 PM
Hi,

Sorry for the delay.

Not sure if it's been mentioned already, but was looking into this with our G751JT test unit and wondering if anybody has found the 'secret Audio Wizard' Equalizer as in the screenshot below?

It should already be installed with the ASUS Windows Image /Realtek audio driver and can be found under the Win8.1 Start Screen Programs, or just search for 'audiowizard' to pull it up.

Edit: Looks like you can also access the Audio Wizard from the 'ASUS Gaming Center', so not quite as 'secret' as I thought.

I did some quick testing and seems to help some you get some of that subwoofer bass in my opinion (if the equalizer settings are adjusted correctly?), but would like to find out what others think.

hmscott
11-26-2014, 11:47 PM
Hi,

Sorry for the delay.

Not sure if it's been mentioned already, but was looking into this with our G751JT test unit and wondering if anybody has found the 'secret Audio Wizard' Equalizer as in the screenshot below?

It should already be installed with the ASUS Windows Image /Realtek audio driver and can be found under the Win8.1 Start Screen Programs, or just search for 'audiowizard' to pull it up.

I did some quick testing and seems to help some in my opinion (if the equalizer settings are adjusted correctly?), but would like to find out what others think.

cl-Albert, you shouldn't need to pump up the MaxBass all the way like you have it. On a working G750 you can set all those controls to mid-setting - no boost and no reduction = Neutral Sound.

And, this should be the same on the G751, but right now all the sound is coming out of the Subwoofer.

The settings you have shows the G751 system audio is grossly our of whack, and trying to correct for that with these settings isn't helpful... definitely not long term. As a temporary band-aid to help people live until the real fix is available.

What does your subwoofer level setting show in Sound control panel? Normally there is so much Bass driven you need to cut it down to 50-65% on most material to keep the sub from distorting (bottoming out) and the laptop keyboard / mouse keys from buzzing.

Do you have Loudness enabled? That helps low level listening by boosting the Bass and Treble.

All of this works together to give balanced sound. But, you shouldn't need to throw any of them way into the maximum settings range just to get normal listenable sound.

Using the AudioWizard Equalizer to get the G751 with Audio only coming out of the Subwoofer to sound better is ridiculous :)

You are going to need a driver fix from Realtek/MaxxAudio to get the audio working through all the speakers before the AudioWizard is going to work right.

Have you reproduced the audio only coming out of the subwoofer with your G751 sample?

Have you tried the 2 suggested work arounds? Disable AudioWizard MaxxAudio processing by turning it OFF - instead of selecting a mode like Multimedia you click OFF instead. Or have you uninstalled the Realtek driver to get the sound to come out of the L/R and subwoofer?

Any word back from Realtek or MaxxAudio?

cl-Albert
11-26-2014, 11:55 PM
cl-Albert, you shouldn't need to pump up the MaxBass all the way like you have it. On a working G750 you can set all those controls to mid-setting - no boost and no reduction = Neutral Sound.

hmscott, thanks for the suggestions and wondering if the G751 customers would like to try some of them as well, but as mentioned in some of the earlier posts, the speaker properties are more of a mess on the G751 compared to the G750 (if you didn't already know, I tested this on the G751JT and wanted G751 customers to try it instead of G750 customers), so I was hoping if G751 customers could locate this equalizer, they could adjust the sound more to their liking.

It also appears if you keep everything at mid-setting for the equalizer, the G751 subwoofer just sounds like the speakers and you don't get any bass out of it, so some customers may want to play around with those equalizer settings to correct this.

Yes, honestly I don't know my way around an equalizer, so please adjust the settings to your liking instead of following mine and others may want to post their settings that work well.

Just wanted to make sure G751 customers were able to find and try this Audio Wizard Equalizer since I just found out today that it was available and believe it helps some with the sound quality.

ericysh
11-27-2014, 12:01 AM
Hi Guys.

I currently own a G751 JY Model and I have all sound (treble and bass) coming from my speakers and my subwoofer. I understand that only the bass should be directed to my subwoofer and everything else should be directed through my speakers. Because my subwoofer is also playing the treble, it gives off this aweful creak (screech) sound everytime my audio is in high frequency. I have already tried reinstalling the drivers and with no avail. Does anyone else share this problem? Does anyone know the fix to this? Any help is appreciated.

hmscott
11-27-2014, 12:25 AM
hmscott, thanks for the suggestions and wondering if the G751 customers would like to try some of them as well, but as mentioned in some of the earlier posts, the speaker properties are more of a mess on the G751 compared to the G750 (if you didn't already know, I tested this on the G751JT and wanted G751 customers to try it instead of G750 customers), so I was hoping if G751 customers could locate this equalizer, they could adjust the sound more to their liking.

It also appears if you keep everything at mid-setting for the equalizer, the G751 subwoofer just sounds like the speakers and you don't get any bass out of it, so some customers may want to play around with those equalizer settings to correct this.

Yes, honestly I don't know my way around an equalizer, so please adjust the settings to your liking instead of following mine and others may want to post their settings that work well.

Just wanted to make sure G751 customers were able to find and try this Audio Wizard Equalizer since I just found out today that it was available and believe it helps some with the sound quality.

cl-Albert,

Using the AudioWizard Equalizer to get the G751 with Audio only coming out of the Subwoofer to sound better is ridiculous :)

You are going to need a driver fix from Realtek/MaxxAudio to get the audio working through all the speakers before the AudioWizard is going to work right.

Have you reproduced the audio only coming out of the subwoofer with your G751 sample?

Have you tried the 2 suggested work arounds? Disable AudioWizard MaxxAudio processing by turning it OFF - instead of selecting a mode like Multimedia you click OFF instead. Or have you uninstalled the Realtek driver to get the sound to come out of the L/R and subwoofer?

cl-Albert
11-27-2014, 02:27 AM
cl-Albert,

hmscott, I'm getting sound from my left and right speakers as well as the subwoofer (which all sound the same with the default settings) and if I play around with that Audio Wizard Equalizer, I can get a little more bass out of that subwoofer.

In case anybody isn't sure where the ('front'?) speakers are located, they are located in the rear right and left corners by the vents and if you use the Windows balance settings, it should help you confirm this. Just wondering if some people might be getting sound from those speakers without realizing it since the subwoofer audio may sound about the same or very similar at first (play with the Audio Wizard Equalizer settings to change this).

Haven't fooled around with any workarounds since the audio on my G751JT test unit seems pretty normal using the stock ASUS image/Realtek driver (version *.7335) and the Audio Wizard Equalizer settings.

Don't suggest customers to fool around with the Windows Speaker 'Playback Device' settings through the icon on the taskbar other than using the balance if you want to try to isolate the left and right speakers and confirm they are working okay (subwoofer audio will be playing too though).
The Realtek HD Audio Manger in Control Panel doesn't seem to be particularly useful, so would suggest avoiding that as well and stick to the Audio Wizard when you can.

Unfortunately, I'm not the guy who talks to Realtek and haven't heard much about newer drivers yet, but before customers start trying something more drastic to improve their sound, just wanted to make sure they try to adjust the Equalizer settings in the Audio Wizard to see if that helps.

toronto699
11-27-2014, 02:47 AM
cl-Albert what audio devices in "Sound Video Game Controllers " do u have listed in "Device Manager" on your G751JT with the Realtek Driver V 7335 I rejected the G751 I was going to buy , after a week of trying Canada Computes Teckies could not get audio from the front speakers, only from sub, Equalizer has nothing to do with no sound from front speakers but I do have a G751-JY-DH72X with some modifications that works Perfectly with a Realtek driver but not the V 7335 I installed a different Realtek Driver with Dolby

cl-Albert
11-27-2014, 03:19 AM
cl-Albert what audio devices in "Sound Video Game Controllers " do u have listed in "Device Manager" on your G751JT with the Realtek Driver V 7355 I rejected the G751 I was going to buy , after a week of trying Canada Computes Teckies could not get audio from the front speakers, only from sub, Equalizer has nothing to do with no sound from front speakers but I do have a G751-JYDH72X with some modifications that works Perfectly

toronto699, below is a screenshot from my G751JT-DH72 test unit right after a recovery.

I may be wrong, but since those rear speakers are mislabeled as 'front' speakers inside Windows and the subwoofer plays the same audio when you first have the unit, I'm guessing you may really have been getting audio from the speakers of that defective unit you returned and just didn't notice it.
If you get the chance to check another unit, suggest putting your ear to the rear right or left corners and using the balance settings inside Windows for the left and right speakers to confirm they are working okay?

Anyway, just an idea since it's not too difficult to mistakenly think the 'speakers' are not working in my opinion since the audio from the subwoofer is very noticeable and there doesn't seem to be an easy way to turn only the subwoofer off.
If you confirm the speakers are okay, be sure to play around with those Audio Wizard Equalizer settings to improve the audio quality too.

toronto699
11-27-2014, 03:44 AM
cl-Albert come on u think the tecks At Canada Computes are that stupid to, No Audio From L-R Speakers , Sub Only sound was and still is the problem. And the unit was straight out of the Box @ Canada Computes We , Me and Canada Computes tried the unit in store straight from Box we tried DVDs , web , youtube ect no Sound From L-R Speakers , This reminds me of the Dell "Screech Of Death" they had with the X-FI cards in their 720 and 730 towers, Still no fix for that either after all these years. The Audio Devices Listed in Device Manager In the unit @ Canada Computes had "Realtek High Definition Audio" and "High Definition Audio Device" plus the Nivida Audio Drivers , Thanks for your input.

BRSxIgnition
11-27-2014, 03:53 AM
cl-Albert, I understand you are trying to help, but please stop, you are misunderstanding the problem.

Our sound - when using Realtek drivers - is always coming out of ONLY the subwoofer. There is no sound coming from anywhere else, and adjusting equalizer levels does not fix the problem, even temporarily. Playing treble out of a speaker designed for bass greatly damages the diaphram, and you can hear it audibly shaking and vibrating if the volume is past 40%.

I've now also tried Mublur's fix and can confirm it doesn't work.

Come on, MarshallR, get them to work faster! (Please...)

hmscott
11-27-2014, 04:19 AM
toronto699, below is a screenshot from my G751JT-DH72 test unit right after a recovery.

I may be wrong, but since those rear speakers are mislabeled as 'front' speakers inside Windows and the subwoofer plays the same audio when you first have the unit, I'm guessing you may really have been getting audio from the speakers of that defective unit you returned and just didn't notice it.
If you get the chance to check another unit, suggest putting your ear to the rear right or left corners and using the balance settings inside Windows for the left and right speakers to confirm they are working okay?

Anyway, just an idea since it's not too difficult to mistakenly think the 'speakers' are not working in my opinion since the audio from the subwoofer is very noticeable and there doesn't seem to be an easy way to turn only the subwoofer off.
If you confirm the speakers are okay, be sure to play around with those Audio Wizard Equalizer settings to improve the audio quality too.

cl-Albert, the Sound Control Panel, icon in the systray, and properties all give you the view you show on the right side of the the image - the Speaker Properties dialog with all the speaker output Slider controls, Center, Subwoofer, Rear, Front.

You "turn off" the Subwoofer by sliding the Subwoofer slider all the way down. 0 level is off.

Also, in the Equalizer you have the MaxxBass turned up all the way - that is going to make the Subwoofer too loud. Turn it back down to Middle setting.

Those 2 controls control the Subwoofer.

It sounds like the unit you have isn't exhibiting the sound problem everyone else is seeing.

Can you please work with the Service Department to get an G751JT or G751JY unit RMA'd from a user with Audio only comes out of the Subwoofer problem?

Unless you can replicate the problem, all Audio coming out of the Subwoofer, you aren't going to be able to debug the problem.

If you had a unit with the sound only coming out of the subwoofer, you wouldn't be able to "fix it" as you did with settings.

If you think it is really a perception issue, and control/equalizer/settings will fix it, you will need to do it with a unit that has the problem from a user RMA, not a unit from your inventory. The early reviews of shipping units didn't have any complaints about the sound.

Thanks for the hard work :)

CRAYOL4
11-27-2014, 05:26 AM
Hello, I also have this problem with a brand new G751jt.

Sound is only coming through the subwoofer. I've done the driver uninstall temporary fix and i can toggle between the subwoofer and speakers.
Hopefully this can be solved quickly

geneticweapon
11-27-2014, 07:42 AM
I have the JT, and I have sound coming out of all 3 speakers. The 2 up top(by the hinge) are difficult to hear, you've really got to put your ear right up on them, but they're working.

CRAYOL4
11-27-2014, 08:00 AM
I have the JT, and I have sound coming out of all 3 speakers. The 2 up top(by the hinge) are difficult to hear, you've really got to put your ear right up on them, but they're working.

yes they're "working"

but they are not properly working

Richdog
11-27-2014, 08:24 AM
I cranked up the bass on the subwoofer yesterday and at least we know that it IS capable of providing some actual bass... can't wait until release a fix for this so I can hear what it sounds like as intended.

geneticweapon
11-27-2014, 08:43 AM
yes they're "working"

but they are not properly working

I agree. If I adjust the balance to the left, I get sound out of the left front speaker and the subwoofer. If I adjust the balance to the right, I get sound coming out of all 3 speakers still. I cannot turn down the front speakers and have only the subwoofer play, the sub is tied in with the front speakers somehow.

BRSxIgnition
11-27-2014, 05:05 PM
There are no front speakers. There are speakers by the hinge/screen in each side and one subwoofer on the base of the laptop, towards the front left.

When you play the test tone, it will send both a left and right test tone to the speaker, if you have the issue and its pushing through the subwoofer, then it will play both. Thing is, because the tones are slightly different, the "right" tone sounds as if it's coming from the right a bit more than the "left" tone is, but it's still only coming from the subwoofer.

Try the fix I posted a page or two back, then play the test tones again, the right tone should be coming from the back right, and the left tone from the back left - nothing should come from the subwoofer when playing test tones.

It's a bit confusing but make sure you know where your sound is coming from before you say you're is working/not working.

(Either way, the effected user number seems to be growing.)

geneticweapon
11-27-2014, 05:43 PM
It's a bIt confusing but make sure you know where your sound is coming from before you say you're is working/not working.

I have sound coming from all 3 speakers, adjusting the balance in audio properties is all screwy, but I don't have sound playing "through the subwoofer only".

hmscott
11-28-2014, 02:55 AM
I have sound coming from all 3 speakers, adjusting the balance in audio properties is all screwy, but I don't have sound playing "through the subwoofer only".

geneticweapon, thanks for the details, can you expand on the "balance in audio properties is all screwy" with some details? Which are the L/R speakers - Front/Back/or? Is the L/R balance correct, or?

I wonder if someone tried to fix that problem and messed up a production run of laptop sound with some sort of an attempted fix to straighten out the balance, and now they are back to the pre-fix mode - screwed up assignment of speaker and balance, but at least working out of all 3 speakers.

geneticweapon
11-28-2014, 06:17 AM
geneticweapon, thanks for the details, can you expand on the "balance in audio properties is all screwy" with some details?

I made a video, hopefully I can explain things better while you guys visually follow along :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCe_nuGrQoI&feature=youtu.be

BRSxIgnition
11-28-2014, 06:32 AM
First of all, thank you very much for the video, Geneticweapon.

Odd, when I have the realtek drivers installed, it works exactly like you show in the video for me as well, but the sound is only coming from the subwoofer on the bottom of the laptop.

For me, there is absolutely no sound coming from my other speakers, which I can hear perfectly clearly if they are using the windows generic drivers.

Are you 100% sure the test tones are coming from all of your speakers? They do sound a bit different, so the right test tone will sound like it's coming a bit more from the right than it actually is, while it's really coming from the Sub, just like the left test tone.

geneticweapon
11-28-2014, 07:10 AM
Are you 100% sure the test tones are coming from all of your speakers?

If they weren't, this thing would be on its way back to Amazon.

I promise you that I'm not clueless, I've been an audio fan most of my life. I have a fetish for Audio-Technica's, I play guitar and love the warmth of my tube amp, many of my past cars have had trunks full of speakers, etc. etc. I know when speakers are playing and when they're not, :)

BRSxIgnition
11-28-2014, 07:16 AM
If they weren't, this thing would be on its way back to Amazon.

I promise you that I'm not clueless, I've been an audio fan most of my life. I have a fetish for Audio-Technica's, I play guitar and love the warmth of my tube amp, many of my past cars have had trunks full of speakers, etc. etc. I know when speakers are playing and when they're not, :)

Hahaha.. Well, go figure. I'm a fan of Audio Technica too, I have a pair of ATH-M50's, and have owned 3 others in the past.

Back on topic though, I've got a little update from MarshallR:

We're still working closely with Realtek to plan the next step. Because there's a big mix of inputs and testing methods it's hard to narrow down the exact issue. The dumps have been analyzed but please bear with us until next week.

Hopefully this all works out and we hear something next week.

geneticweapon
11-28-2014, 07:21 AM
Wow, that's really good news!

hmscott
11-28-2014, 08:05 AM
I made a video, hopefully I can explain things better while you guys visually follow along :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCe_nuGrQoI&feature=youtu.be

geneticweapon, that's awesome! I mean it sucks that it is happening, but that clearly shows the problem on your laptop. You say the sound comes out all 3 speakers, but others have said it only comes out the subwoofer - that is a different problem, but a problem that needs fixing.

Hopefully someone at Asus will PM you, or otherwise contact you in the forum, thanks geneticweapon.

crudetrader
11-28-2014, 02:27 PM
as a non techy (but also a guitar player with a tube fetish-- rock on gw) the best solution as was posted is for an R M A 'd product to be returned for analysis--- hope marhsall or whomever was paying attention to that post

hmscott
11-28-2014, 02:41 PM
as a non techy (but also a guitar player with a tube fetish-- rock on gw) the best solution as was posted is for an R M A 'd product to be returned for analysis--- hope marhsall or whomever was paying attention to that post

crudetrader, Markshall and others have been pointed in that direction, and it looks like the wheels are turning in that direction :)

If you have posted that you have the problem here, or via a Technical Inquiry - or even better - both, then you might get contacted to send in your laptop to help debug the problem.

If you can't afford to be without your laptop for a couple of weeks, then don't send it in, but if you can and you are sure you have the problem, then please help out Asus and yourself to get it fixed by RMA'ing your laptop. Make sure you have that connection with Marshall/support about using your laptop for debugging before RMA'ing your laptop - as there is no fix to RMA for yet.

geneticweapon
11-29-2014, 02:57 AM
Using my cellphone, I tried to record a video while shoving it's microphone up close to the front speakers. I don't think I was successful in isolating the sound though:( I really do enjoy watching music videos and movies on this thing, it sounds much better than any laptop I've had in the past.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15-0PyxPO-g&feature=youtu.be

hmscott
11-29-2014, 04:46 AM
Using my cellphone, I tried to record a video while shoving it's microphone up close to the front speakers. I don't think I was successful in isolating the sound though:( I really do enjoy watching music videos and movies on this thing, it sounds much better than any laptop I've had in the past.

geneticweapon, sounds loud, and not distorted, but isn't it essentially mono / same sound coming out of all 3 speakers, as per your other video? Actually it is better than mono, it is all channels mixed together, but without stereo separation?

I would say that sounds liveable till the sound separation gets fixed :)

geneticweapon
11-29-2014, 06:19 AM
geneticweapon, sounds loud, and not distorted, but isn't it essentially mono / same sound coming out of all 3 speakers, as per your other video? Actually it is better than mono, it is all channels mixed together, but without stereo separation?

I would say that sounds liveable till the sound separation gets fixed :)

I have no way of knowing for sure if it's mono or stereo. I bet it will sound awesome once the fix comes in!

Evil Hotdog
11-29-2014, 03:21 PM
I have no way of knowing for sure if it's mono or stereo. I bet it will sound awesome once the fix comes in!

Having the same issue here. Hope there will be a fix soon ! Or at least how to turn off subwoofer, sounds like most sound is coming from the left now.

Tergon
11-29-2014, 05:24 PM
I have the same issues as geneticweapon, and have sumbit my system dump to Marshall as well.

BRSxIgnition
11-29-2014, 08:11 PM
Same issue here, but for me it's very obviously coming from only the subwoofer, and it's easy to see that my back speakers sound completely different. (When they work)

d0r1n
11-30-2014, 01:27 PM
Same issue here, but for me it's very obviously coming from only the subwoofer, and it's easy to see that my back speakers sound completely different. (When they work)

in romania stores the asus g751jy have the same problem, i switched 2 laptops in the last 3 days and it's not the laptops broken,it's a driver problem.

dapogz
12-01-2014, 01:17 AM
From what i see on the volume settings we are using a 5.1 sound driver instead of a 2.1 driver, i'll try to help in finding other 2.1soundriver that will work on our laptop..

ericysh
12-01-2014, 02:44 AM
From what i see on the volume settings we are using a 5.1 sound driver instead of a 2.1 driver, i'll try to help in finding other 2.1soundriver that will work on our laptop..

will trying other drivers even work?

hmscott
12-01-2014, 03:29 AM
in romania stores the asus g751jy have the same problem, i switched 2 laptops in the last 3 days and it's not the laptops broken,it's a driver problem.

d0r1n, it is still an unknown. What is known is that the first few weeks of shipping G751JT/JY's didn't have audio issues, and run the same drivers... including updating them.

So, it still might be either a system software change between production runs or a hardware change. We won't know till Asus debugs some RMA'd units and fixes them.

dapogz
12-01-2014, 03:34 AM
will trying other drivers even work?
I mean other versions of realtek.. ;) probably start with the lower versions.. going up :D

hmscott
12-01-2014, 03:49 AM
I mean other versions of realtek.. ;) probably start with the lower versions.. going up :D

dapogz, this and all the combinations of it have already been tried by various owners on 2 boards. The only combination I haven't heard back on is the one where you unpack the installer and adjust the Setup.ini file to not install AudioWizard/MaxxAudio - installing everything else.

It isn't clear which option needs to be enabled/disabled, but removing the Maxx* files from the Vista64 sub-directory might cause errors using those tokens to disable/enable might show during an install attempt.

But, given that is more a curiosity than a for sure solution, I wouldn't waste any time, and increase your level of frustration by trying to fix something noone has fixed by playing with the Realtek drivers, from Asus, Realtek, or back channel sites with unreleased versions.

File a Technical Inquiry with Asus about your problem so they know you need a fix, and if you can do without your laptop for a few weeks then offer to let them use it for testing fixes - Asus needs failure mode laptops to test.

https://vip.asus.com <== create login, register laptop, file Technical Inquiry - attach a zipfile with images, photo's, video/audio of the problem.

Asus also has a Feedback / Complaint channel, make sure they know of your problem and intelligently calmly stated how upset you are.
http://vip.asus.com/VIP2/Services/QuestionForm/Complain

Main Contact Us page those links are listed:
http://support.asus.com/contactus.aspx

Please update us here on Asus response / progress :)

dapogz
12-01-2014, 05:04 AM
@hmscott: ok.. ill probably do that, but i think not this season, parcel here sucks at this time of season :D .. but for the meantime i'll try to research more on the issue.. until i can send it back next month.. Thanks.

hmscott
12-01-2014, 05:15 AM
@hmscott: ok.. ill probably do that, but i think not this season, parcel here sucks at this time of season :D .. but for the meantime i'll try to research more on the issue.. until i can send it back next month.. Thanks.

dapogz, no dogsled delivery service in your area? ;)

At least file the TL and complaint so Asus knows there is 1 more G751 with the problem, you can tell them you can't part with the laptop right now, but intend to send it in for a fix if required - if no software fix will solve it.

Are you using external speakers, headphones, or? to work around the speaker issue?

dapogz
12-01-2014, 07:13 AM
Are you using external speakers, headphones, or? to work around the speaker issue?
i use headphones since internal speakers sounds like monk.. once i got backhome i'll try to connect all 3 audio jack and see if my theory is correct, that once i connect this to a 5.1 speakers.. all volume knobs should work as it should be.. :D then at least this will prove that we should only see 3 volume knobs when we use the internal.
1 master knob
2 speakers
3 sub speaker

It will only change once we try to output 5.1 :D
got this theory on my old desktop with an old realtek driver.. ;) i'll research more

d0r1n
12-01-2014, 02:43 PM
hmscott i switched 2 laptops,and both had the same isue, u sugest RMA the second laptop too? or wait to see what it hapends in the next 30 days?
i have 30 days return policy,so.....but i dont think is the laptop to blame,i think is a codec isue because without the driver installed the speakers work,so...

hmscott
12-01-2014, 02:50 PM
hmscott i switched 2 laptops,and both had the same isue, u sugest RMA the second laptop too? or wait to see what it hapends in the next 30 days?
i have 30 days return policy,so.....but i dont think is the laptop to blame,i think is a codec isue because without the driver installed the speakers work,so...

d0r1n, Asus won't be able to debug the problem without a failing example. Right now the last I heard is that their sample works. Early deliveries worked ok. There are several people on the forum with early delivery G751's with working audio. The problem started all of a sudden, and then lots of people had the problem.

I am going to assume any number of them are returning their laptops to the seller, and the seller to Asus. As well some owners will RMA directly to Asus as well.

If you can RMA your laptop to Asus now, contact MarshallR@ASUS via PM and see if he wants to coordinate your unit for debugging for a fix. If you can't then wait till a fix is available before RMA.

If you can return for 30 days, then you have till the end of that time to wait, and then try another new production example to see if it works. I should note that a couple of people have mentioned getting new G751's recently with working audio, IDK if those are first release stock still sitting around or new production.

Let us know what you decide and how Asus treats you :)

hmscott
12-01-2014, 02:53 PM
i use headphones since internal speakers sounds like monk.. once i got backhome i'll try to connect all 3 audio jack and see if my theory is correct, that once i connect this to a 5.1 speakers.. all volume knobs should work as it should be.. :D then at least this will prove that we should only see 3 volume knobs when we use the internal.
1 master knob
2 speakers
3 sub speaker

It will only change once we try to output 5.1 :D
got this theory on my old desktop with an old realtek driver.. ;) i'll research more

dapogz, I was wondering about that as well. How is the 5.1 mapping to the 2.1, and perhaps in that is the problem - it should be a stereo+sub or 2.1 - early on I asked if the G751 presents that choice, but noone said yes/no... I can assume then there is now 2.1 Speaker option to select?

Are you going to try 5.1 through the Toslink, or a downmix through the analog stereo?

Please let us know what you hear :)

crudetrader
12-01-2014, 05:07 PM
d0r1n, Asus won't be able to debug the problem without a failing example. Right now the last I heard is that their sample works. Early deliveries worked ok. There are several people on the forum with early delivery G751's with working audio. The problem started all of a sudden, and then lots of people had the problem.

I am going to assume any number of them are returning their laptops to the seller, and the seller to Asus. As well some owners will RMA directly to Asus as well.

If you can RMA your laptop to Asus now, contact MarshallR@ASUS via PM and see if he wants to coordinate your unit for debugging for a fix. If you can't then wait till a fix is available before RMA.

If you can return for 30 days, then you have till the end of that time to wait, and then try another new production example to see if it works. I should note that a couple of people have mentioned getting new G751's recently with working audio, IDK if those are first release stock still sitting around or new production.

Let us know what you decide and how Asus treats you :)

what i cant figure out is if this is an apparent problem why doesnt asus recall all these models from amazon , newegg, etc so perspective new buyers dont have to deal with this ... very lame

yizzle
12-01-2014, 05:22 PM
I'm wondering if a certain batch of these mainly have the problem. Perhaps some sellers received more or less of the defective laptops. I am about to order one and am leaning towards Newegg because it is tax free...but would consider other sellers if we could figure out any correlation. Where have all of you with this problem purchased from?

crudetrader
12-01-2014, 05:28 PM
im in youre exact position yizzle, what would be nice is if asus could define that parameter at which point buyer could contact seller themselves, tough with newegg since you cant call them,,,,,heres a business model - sell crap but have exemplary customer service, you'll put these companies out of business!

BRSxIgnition
12-01-2014, 05:37 PM
As long as they fix the issue via a patch or offer FREE 2-WAY SHIPPING + REPAIRS on defective units, I'll be happy.

We'll have more news on the first possibility by the end of this week, and MarshallR can't comment on the second option until the first option has been attempted. His exact words:

Can't comment further yet until we've worked through the situation sorry.

Either way, I just want a working computer so I can move on and NOT spend hours looking for a solution to the problem every day.

crudetrader
12-01-2014, 06:13 PM
is that email accurate and direct to marshall (ends in .com?) and exactly who is he in relation to asus?

BRSxIgnition
12-01-2014, 06:32 PM
is that email accurate and direct to marshall (ends in .com?) and exactly who is he in relation to asus?

He is a PR person for ASUS, and I've been reaching him by PM'ing him on this forum.

geneticweapon
12-01-2014, 06:32 PM
what i cant figure out is if this is an apparent problem why doesnt asus recall all these models from amazon , newegg, etc so perspective new buyers dont have to deal with this ... very lame

For the JT model I bought off Amazon, there's only 2 reviewers complaining about sound issues. The rest are glowing "5 Star" reviews, so Asus probably doesn't deem this worthy of a recall, when a tiny number of people are affected.

d0r1n
12-01-2014, 08:22 PM

Arnas
12-01-2014, 08:39 PM
If is true, then well done mate

d0r1n
12-01-2014, 08:47 PM
it worked for me,test it and tell me if it works to you

the drivers are here http://www.asus.com/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/ASUS_ROG_G750JZ/HelpDesk_Download/

thamann2000
12-01-2014, 09:51 PM
Confirmed not a fix. Same sound performance. It works exactly the same.

crudetrader
12-01-2014, 10:11 PM
He is a PR person for ASUS, and I've been reaching him by PM'ing him on this forum.

may i ask how does one pm him on this site?

d0r1n
12-01-2014, 10:30 PM
Confirmed not a fix. Same sound performance. It works exactly the same.

did u check if the right speaker works?...the sound will hear a little bit from the left because the subwoofer is on that side,but get close with the ear to the right speaker and check to be sure.

BTW the setting should be on "STEREO" and note "5.1"

BRSxIgnition
12-02-2014, 12:23 AM
I'll test it tonight when I get home, assuming it's not debunked by the time I'm off work.

ericysh
12-02-2014, 01:01 AM
it worked for me,test it and tell me if it works to you

the drivers are here http://www.asus.com/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/ASUS_ROG_G750JZ/HelpDesk_Download/

doesn't work for me. I previously had sound of all ranges coming from all three speakers. after installing this driver, i only had sound coming from the subwoofer. i had to revert back to the driver of g751jy.

gatomlinson@gmail.com
12-02-2014, 03:01 AM
well it did work might not be for everyone
bose companion 20
dumb me upside down

bookedirl
12-02-2014, 03:46 AM
This is probably a stupid question.. but where exactly are the speakers located? I'm completely deaf in one of my ears and partially in another.. so I rely on headphones anyways. I can't tell where they are.

gatomlinson@gmail.com
12-02-2014, 03:54 AM
behind the screen on either side bump out not very big

dapogz
12-02-2014, 07:27 AM
Are you going to try 5.1 through the Toslink, or a downmix through the analog stereo?

Please let us know what you hear :)

i use the analog and the sound knobs are for 5.1.. all knobs are working and the sound is good.. its the 5.1 driver that mess things up.. i'll try d0r1n's suggestions. Hopefully this will solve most of our problem.. ;) (good job guys)

@d0r1n: hi dorin does the sound balance work?(left / right) does the sound comes at different channels? Thanks

BRSxIgnition
12-02-2014, 07:46 AM
Here to (unfortunately) confirm that both of the driver versions (7231/7304) listed by D0r1n do not work.

Neither has moved my sound from the subwoofer. Please do not cry "FIX!" when it only "works" for you.

Richdog
12-02-2014, 08:13 AM
well it did work might not be for everyone
bose companion 20
dumb me upside down

You didn't fix anything, you just used a pair of external speakers to bypass the problem.

PS: Using your email address as your username... not a smart idea. Ask the mods if you can change it to something less personal.

hmscott
12-02-2014, 10:56 AM
Here to (unfortunately) confirm that both of the driver versions (7231/7304) listed by D0r1n do not work.

Neither has moved my sound from the subwoofer. Please do not cry "FIX!" when it only "works" for you.

BRSxIgnition, I know you are frustrated, but d0r1n did fix his problem, his fix solved that particular failure mode. It appears there are several failure modes.

1) All sound comes out of the Subwoofer.

2) All 3 speakers put out the same sound.

3) 5.1 channel configuration doesn't work, 2.1/Stereo channel configuration does <== d0r1n's problem.

When you find something that fixes a problem, you want to post it, whether it fixes everyone's problem isn't a front most consideration. It is likely there will be several fixes, and some don't exist yet. Not everyone knows there are several failure modes, they only know about theirs.

There are likely others with d0r1n's particular failure mode that will be helped by his discovery.

We don't want to deter anyone trying to make a positive contribution. :)

d0r1n
12-02-2014, 01:31 PM
BRSxIgnition, I know you are frustrated, but d0r1n did fix his problem, his fix solved that particular failure mode. It appears there are several failure modes.

1) All sound comes out of the Subwoofer.

2) All 3 speakers put out the same sound.

3) 5.1 channel configuration doesn't work, 2.1/Stereo channel configuration does <== d0r1n's problem.

When you find something that fixes a problem, you want to post it, whether it fixes everyone's problem isn't a front most consideration. It is likely there will be several fixes, and some don't exist yet. Not everyone knows there are several failure modes, they only know about theirs.

There are likely others with d0r1n's particular failure mode that will be helped by his discovery.

Thank you...

Richdog
12-02-2014, 01:35 PM
Thank you...

We do appreciate you trying to help d0r1n and I am sure your intentions were good, but please next time do not make dedicated and separate threads claiming that you have the definitive solution to this problem in a very cocky and overconfident until you have others saying that it has worked. Otherwise, people will be understandably dissappointed. :)

d0r1n
12-02-2014, 01:57 PM
We do appreciate you trying to help d0r1n and I am sure your intentions were good, but please next time do not make dedicated and separate threads claiming that you have the definitive solution to this problem in a very cocky and overconfident until you have others saying that it has worked. Otherwise, people will be understandably dissappointed. :)

If u read the post was " test and tell if it works for u too" not that is definitive,so stop the aberation.
i got confirmation from 5 user that works just fine,nobody uses 5.1..the stereo is enough...so have a nice day.

Richdog
12-02-2014, 02:42 PM
If u read the post was " test and tell if it works for u too" not that is definitive,so stop the aberation.
i got confirmation from 5 user that works just fine,nobody uses 5.2..the stereo is enough...so have a nice day.

There is no aberation, it was just the way you wrote your post, and the fact that it is not a universal fix for everyone. You have a nice day too...

BRSxIgnition
12-02-2014, 03:53 PM
I've yet to see one person post that your fix works, let alone 5.

Please just admit that your solution fixed your issue, but didn't do anything to solve the bigger problem. (Something you claimed your fix was a "perfect" fix for. )

Regardless, I applaud your enthusiasm.

Richdog
12-02-2014, 06:24 PM
Well for the moment I just uninstalled the Realtek drivers... the sound from the two speakers sounds cleaner. Hope they fix this before Christmas, being able to use my new laptop as intended would be the perfect gift. :rolleyes:. :eek:

BRSxIgnition
12-02-2014, 06:46 PM

I am not trying to deter people from posting potential fixes, but they should be labeled as "POTENTIAL", not "Now they work perfectly!" in big red text. Otherwise, many people will be disappointed and it will just make us more frustrated.

While I appreciate what you are trying to do in keeping the boards civil, I agree with Richdog when he says "Please stop policing them" - leave that to the moderators. All I'm doing is asking someone not to shout "Fix!" - remind you of a story? :D

Hopefully MarshallR has something for us this week.

thamann2000
12-02-2014, 07:46 PM
Here's the bottom line everyone should remain civil with each other. We should save all of our rage for asus. This whole situation has been an absolute abomination and has shaken my faith in their products. At this point I am trying to do everything I can to buy myself time to see if they can come up with a fix. Realistically it should've been fixed before it ever left the factory. You have to figure if they change the speaker type from the G7502 the G751 that testing and quality assurance should've eliminated the vast majority of problems. So it is very very disappointing that virtually everybodyhas this exact same problem. I know that they say message boards are typically only a small percentage of users but I have yet to find more than one person who says their product works perfect out-of-the-box. A lot of people are saying I primarily use headphones anyway and that's great and that's probably true but for the times that I need to play the laptop out loud I personally would not be satisfied or content with the sound they are putting out. I have emailed the moderators I have emailed the CEOs and leaders of the company that were given out on one of the earlier messages I have chatted online 15+ times I have done three escalations. All to no avail I think the saddest part is that it took weeks just to get anybody take knowledge there was a problem and aces comes up with the BS answer that all they do is repair and that there's nothing they can do in terms of like standing behind their products doing anything to make it right for consumers or anything like that. I know this is a superior product to a Dell gaming laptop in terms of power and price ratio but if Dell or HP or Lenovo or any other major company released a product like this they would be doing everything 24 seven around-the-clock to try to get in front of this issue and make sure that people understand everything they are doing to make it right. Instead this company tells you just to stick your thumb up your butt and wait. I think the most disappointing part is that it took so much effort just to get them to even get started and now I may run out of time on my return policy before if I ever get to see if the fix came out. Just an absolute disaster and mess by this company and even after end-user suffering they have made it clear they don't give a damn and if you don't like it don't buy from them. So the only thing I can do now is to speak with my money going forward and stop buying their products until they take steps to make this whole thing right.

KoolASUS
12-02-2014, 10:05 PM
Just being curious here, and sorry if it's already written somewhere.
But : is this flaw specific to the G751 ? Do the G751 have a different Realtek chipset than the G750 ? (having a G750JH, under Win8.0, and using the Realtek 7095 driver)

crudetrader
12-02-2014, 10:48 PM
i feel ya' thamann, i have not purchased this unit yet, finger on the trigger untill i saw these posts,,,there should be no reason why asus doesn thave a posted fix or at least a round trip free expedited ship as previously mentioned was being possibly done,, i need a laptop quickly for some important buisness app's and would prefer to get the write off before year end so this is ticking me off also,,,,would someone mind explaining to me how to pm on this site?i would like to talk to marshall and ask a couple of questions,, would appreciate it

crudetrader
12-02-2014, 11:18 PM
never mind..got it

gatomlinson@gmail.com
12-03-2014, 12:07 AM
not my main email i barely use this one
only using it because asus half lost my other account
keep trying to get it reset but i get no email from them

hmscott
12-03-2014, 12:15 AM
Just being curious here, and sorry if it's already written somewhere.
But : is this flaw specific to the G751 ? Do the G751 have a different Realtek chipset than the G750 ? (having a G750JH, under Win8.0, and using the Realtek 7095 driver)

KoolASUS, it appears there is enough of a difference in the G751 from the G750 that these problems start with the G751.

There was an issue with the G750JW/JX Realtek driver not installing AudioWizard/MaxxAudio, that was a Realtek installer bug - it was extremely annoying and caused the audio to sound weak and not as full as with AudioWizard/MaxxAudio installed.

There were several fixes along the way, but the final fix was an updated driver from Realtek that cleaned up the problems left by previous Realtek installers, and installed AudioWizard/MaxxAudio correctly.

The G751 shipped with .7335, and that is the same one I am running without problems on the G750JH, but their dialogs look different, so it must be calling in different code.

Here is the sticky thread from the G750 forum with the posts from that earlier Realtek installer problem:
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?34135-Waves-MaxxAudio-gone-solved&p=276215&viewfull=1#post276215

pit_ns
12-03-2014, 12:51 AM
I decided not to buy G751 until they fix all the issues you guys have.... (subwoofer, usb ports and not sure what more....)

I hope they realized what is the issue and will fix it quickly....

_
12-03-2014, 01:39 AM
not my main email i barely use this one
only using it because asus half lost my other account
keep trying to get it reset but i get no email from them

Via account.asus.com? Please check your spam folder and turn off any adblock for asus.com just in case the CAPTCHA is being stopped, maybe.

ARX7Arbalest
12-03-2014, 02:38 AM
Marshall just sent you my Realtek Dump. Also having sound come thru the subwoofer only. Cloned OS to SSD then this happened. Worked fine when first bought it. ASUS G751JT-CH71.

Is there also a way to add USB/DVD to boot options in the BIOS? Mine seems to only show 1 boot option.

geneticweapon
12-03-2014, 03:54 AM
Is there also a way to add USB/DVD to boot options in the BIOS? Mine seems to only show 1 boot option.

I inserted my USB stick while the notebook was running, rebooted into bios, and it gave me the option to boot from it.

BRSxIgnition
12-03-2014, 06:38 AM
Marshall just sent you my Realtek Dump. Also having sound come thru the subwoofer only. Cloned OS to SSD then this happened. Worked fine when first bought it. ASUS G751JT-CH71.

From what I could tell when I tested mine upon reception, all my speakers worked fine before cloning/reinstalling my OS as well.

This means a lot because it shows that people are getting this issue both out of the box as well as after installing the site drivers on a fresh install.

ARX7Arbalest
12-03-2014, 06:43 AM
Yeah. You know where I can get an image of the Recovery Partition or something to restore it to factory settings? My brother wiped the HDD when he cloned the OS to SSD. I just want to try reverting back to just using the HDD like it was first bought to see if the speaker issue will still be the same.

BRSxIgnition
12-03-2014, 07:08 AM
Yeah. You know where I can get an image of the Recovery Partition or something to restore it to factory settings? My brother wiped the HDD when he cloned the OS to SSD. I just want to try reverting back to just using the HDD like it was first bought to see if the speaker issue will still be the same.

Alas, no - I have no idea. I've long since settled on a fresh install.

In other news, I've moved this thread to a more updated - hopefully more helpful...

NEW THREAD. (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?54313-G751-Subwoofer-only-Sound-Problem-OFFICIAL-SUPPORT-THREAD)

xeromist
12-03-2014, 06:57 PM
Please see the new thread linked by BRSxIgnition above for ongoing discussion and updates.