PDA

View Full Version : lot of BSOD G750JX , Kernel Power Error 41 - need help....

ReneMR
11-12-2014, 06:33 PM
Hi Guys,

big trouble suddenly with my G750JX... getting BSOD all 15 minutes (!). I am really frustated already... please help me to find the root cause.
Specifiaction: Asus G750JX, Windows 8.1. 64 bit, 16 GB of RAM, ASUS ROG bundled Mouse in use. Nvidia Grafic driver (GTX770M) is on 344.60, BIOS on 207, but I dont think this is the issue ?!?!

However I updated the drivers, but with each update of a specific driver the problem get more worst. I found in the forum the solution to update the mouse driver, I have done it but without succsess. I tried with another mouse -> again BSOD
Currently I deinstalled the mouse driver (ROG mouse driver) - still BSOD.
The BSOD occurs randomly and not always the same.
Crash dump directory: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Wed 12.11.2014 18:29:35 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\111214-15250-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: intelppm.sys (intelppm+0x2211)
Bugcheck code: 0x1E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF8018ECB7211, 0x0, 0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF)
Error: KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\intelppm.sys
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: Processor Device Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

On Wed 12.11.2014 18:29:35 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: intelppm.sys (intelppm+0x2211)
Bugcheck code: 0x1E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF8018ECB7211, 0x0, 0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF)
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\intelppm.sys
description: Processor Device Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

On Wed 12.11.2014 18:07:51 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\111214-15687-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x14F1A0)
Bugcheck code: 0xA (0x405, 0x2, 0x1, 0xFFFFF80266CF383C)
Error: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Wed 12.11.2014 17:59:16 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\111214-15359-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x1E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF803FD9D5162, 0x0, 0x2D)
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Wed 12.11.2014 17:42:17 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\111214-15046-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0xBE (0xFFFFFA80015CC790, 0x8000000003C80121, 0xFFFFD00020C3E2E0, 0xA)
Error: ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY
Bug check description: This is issued if a driver attempts to write to a read-only memory segment.

On Wed 12.11.2014 17:36:17 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\111214-14796-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC0000005, 0xFFFFF803EEAF8E74, 0xFFFFD000A39A7750, 0x0)
Error: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
Bug check description: This indicates that an exception happened while executing a routine that transitions from non-privileged code to privileged code.

On Wed 12.11.2014 17:29:09 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\111214-14843-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x1E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF801FCF0FE74, 0x0, 0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF)

On Wed 12.11.2014 17:26:56 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\111214-20109-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x1E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF8029D368884, 0x0, 0x9EE79B72)

On Tue 11.11.2014 20:24:15 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\111114-14750-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC000001D, 0xFFFFF8002F85B3C6, 0xFFFFD00022A70D50, 0x0)
Error: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
Bug check description: This indicates that an exception happened while executing a routine that transitions from non-privileged code to privileged code.

On Tue 11.11.2014 18:42:01 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\111114-17703-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0xA (0xFFFFF800CD219000, 0xD, 0x1, 0xFFFFF800CE253FF3)
Error: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Bug check description: This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above.

Downloaded the whocrashed program, I can show you the result, mostly the ntoskrnl.exe is the reason, see above.

I think it is definitely a driver issue, but which one ? How can I find this out, I dont want to reinstall my full windows...
Is driver verifyier an option in win 8.1 ? If yes how to use it correctly ?

I have made a memtest, also the mem test from windows board, no error !
I have done sfc/ scannow and Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth - didnot help.

Event Trance shows me error Kernel Power Failure 41.

Any help is highly appreciated, thanks
Rene

Dinooz
11-13-2014, 05:45 AM
I had random BSOD's on my 750jx, after pulling my hair out ,updating drivers,uninstalling the mouse,running the tests you mentioned everything coming out ok,buying retail win 8.1 and fresh install but still the problems persisted.Started to believe it must be a hardware problem so started swapping out the ram (32gb) all the sticks were ok .Finally nailed the problem to a dodgy ram slot.Running only 24GB now with an empty slot haven't had a BSOD or any problem for 6 months, now she is running sweet as a nut. The guilty ram slot was the bottom of the two easy to get to slots.

hmscott
11-13-2014, 06:07 AM
I had random BSOD's on my 750jx, after pulling my hair out ,updating drivers,uninstalling the mouse,running the tests you mentioned everything coming out ok,buying retail win 8.1 and fresh install but still the problems persisted.Started to believe it must be a hardware problem so started swapping out the ram (32gb) all the sticks were ok .Finally nailed the problem to a dodgy ram slot.Running only 24GB now with an empty slot haven't had a BSOD or any problem for 6 months, now she is running sweet as a nut. The guilty ram slot was the bottom of the two easy to get to slots.

Dinooz, good to know, sucks, but good to know - nice debugging :)

Did you get a chance to look into the slot with a bright light / magnifying glass? Is it a visible broken / bent pin or another visible defect? Did you try compressed air in the socket?

It isn't too late to RMA it, Asus can replace the motherboard and restore full 32GB support.

ReneMR
11-13-2014, 08:44 AM
Hi Dinooz,

yes thank you, its really wicked... Yesterday evening I removed one ram (4 GB) and currently it seems to be working, maybe it is really a problem with a RAM stick. I will let you know my tests soon...

THanks
Rene

Dinooz
11-13-2014, 01:12 PM
Dinooz, good to know, sucks, but good to know - nice debugging :)

Did you get a chance to look into the slot with a bright light / magnifying glass? Is it a visible broken / bent pin or another visible defect? Did you try compressed air in the socket?

It isn't too late to RMA it, Asus can replace the motherboard and restore full 32GB support.
Hmscott, yeah I did exactly that,bright light and magnifying glass even wiped the contacts clean with alcohol all looked ok,I am replacing the the wireless card when it arrives with an AC card to supplement my new dsl ac68 modem/router so when its apart I will have another closer look,maybe a dry or cracked solder joint,weird because there is a black texta pen circle on the mobo where the slot is.When I first stripped the keyboard off to replace the 2x4 ram with some 8,s3 things I found,1 the battery wasn't seated correctly,2 the retaining clips on the inside ram slot wouldn't hold the stick in and was relying on the upper stick to stop it popping out (pair of needlenose pliers and a bit of bending the spring clip sorted that. 3 the retaining snap lock on the HD ribbon wasn't locked down
Dissapointing really but alas those 3 probs didn't sort out the BSODs regarding an RMA I am livin in Thailand and it would be like getting blood out of a stone maybe wait a while and upgrade to a g751 once they have been out for a while.

Dinooz
11-13-2014, 01:36 PM
Regarding the 751,the two different processers appear similar in speeds,the only diff I can see is one supports iris pro the other doesn't,would this alleviate the problems associated with optimus probs on the latter 750's ? BTW I am really happy with the JX now the BSOD,s have gone,no screen issues,in fact no issues now at all.Running 2x 256 Samsung 850 pro,s in Raid0, One TB hdd in the optical drive.Let ya know when I pull it apart to fit the AC card if I find anything regarding the dodgy ram slot.

ReneMR
11-13-2014, 04:17 PM
after 4 hours I got again a BSOD, running currently with 12 GB .... now I test the other RAM (1x4 GB)... But to be honest, I dont think that the change of RAM will solve my bsod :( .... so is driver verifyier an option in win 8.1 64bit ? or flash to BIOS 209 ?

Dinooz
11-14-2014, 12:44 AM
Rene,
I suggest you take out both Ram Modules and run the machine on 8GB Ram,if the BSOD,s still occur you will have to open up the notebook and swap out the Ram with the two you took out from the easy slots as one can presume if the BDOD still occurs it is not being caused by the two in the easy slot.As I mentioned earlier when I opened mine up I found the Lowest Ram slot would not even hold the Ram module in place I had to bend the spring clip to secure the Module,I am not sure if it standard to have tape covering the lower Ram module but mine had a layer of tape over the top,maybe to pack so the upper module would hold the lower one down and in place.
All my BSOD,s were random in nature but the common address was ntskrn.exe that is why I first thought it was a corrupt windows file and bought a retail copy of win 8.1 and did fresh install............it didn't fix the problem.What it seems to me is that for some reason (dirty contact.bent pin or dry soldered joint on or within the slot was allowing data stored in memory to "leak out" and when an address was called up it had gone and the "your computer has run into a problem and needs to restart" message.
How long have you had the JX and when did the problems start occurring? Not after a Ram upgrade I presume.My Jx came with BIOS 209 and still BSODed so don't think flashing the BIOS will solve the problem,dont know about driver verifier but if you have the latest drivers the machine shouldn't BSOD,as I said earlier I have left that dodgy slot empty and have been trouble free for months now and really think the JX is a good machine,Good Luck..............................Cheers Dino

ReneMR
11-14-2014, 09:27 AM
hi Dino,
thanks... very much for your input. I will test this weekend, my JX is nearly 1 year old, and I got BSOD only really sometimes, so I though well okay its a problem of old driver, or when playing a game like JustCause 2 (which is not officially supported for Win 8). But the BSOD´s occurs now more and more, so I assume as you said it is RAM related issue. It is really annoying... Last week the BSOD occurs 2 - 3 in few hours...If I find a final solution, I will post it here. However good luck to you as well, cheers Rene

ReneMR
11-16-2014, 06:41 PM
Hi all,
Well - good news... w/o additonal RAM moduls - there is no dump anymore.

The issue of my bsod was indeed faulty RAM moduls... both moduls (4GB) have the specification of PC3-12800, so with 1.5 Volt instead of PC3L-12800 (LOW) with 1.35 V. !!!

See also post of hmscott http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?33744-Upgraders-1-35V-memory-is-required!

Hence I got thess dumps, but strange to say that only since few weeks I got more and more dumps... .
So it was the fault of my retailer, I have ordered wiith 16GB of RAM, and got 2 wrong RAM moduls inside my ASUS... however I have them contacted already and its clear case of warranty. I will get now the correct 1.35 V Ram moduls...

Dinooz
11-17-2014, 01:56 PM
Rene,
Good news mate, glad I wasn't dreaming about faulty ram/slots the cause of these frustrating BSOd,s,yeah its weird the problem got worse slowly mine was from day one. The Kingston number is KVR16S11/8 for the 8GB /4 for the 4GB 1600mhz....... go enjoy ya JX now...............Dino

ReneMR
11-18-2014, 10:07 AM
yes keep on gaming - yeah