PDA

View Full Version : G751JM dead pixel on arrival

kirby2525
11-12-2014, 07:46 PM
Just got a G751JM (matte display) that I had ordered through bestbuy's website. Thing arrived with a dead (stuck?)pixel in the lower left quarter of the screen. Should I bother RMAing it, and if so, with whom?

TheiKing
11-13-2014, 12:42 AM
I had this same issue on m G751JT, I was all set to send it into Asus to repair the screen yesterday when all of a sudden
the pixel had fixed itself. For a week I put up with the dead pixel and to my surprise the day I was going to ship the laptop back, the issue righted itself on its own.

If I were you, I would simply return to best buy & get a replacement.

hmscott
11-13-2014, 04:42 AM
Just got a G751JM (matte display) that I had ordered through bestbuy's website. Thing arrived with a dead (stuck?)pixel in the lower left quarter of the screen. Should I bother RMAing it, and if so, with whom?

kirby2525, as TheiKing says his was fixed after a period of time of use - which is typically how they self correct - a large percentage of them just go away with repeated use.

You can accelerate the fix with several programs, or physical massage techniques - I have used them successfully many times to work out dead pixels in laptops / displays I get assigned by clients.

How to fix a stuck or dead pixel
http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/how-to-fix-a-stuck-or-dead-pix-95332

As s a Consultant I often initially have to use whatever is available to get to work, before the stuff ordered for me arrives. I will ask for whatever high end laptop that has dead pixels they have in stock - rejected and not RMA'd - as typically I have found I can fix the dead pixels and end up with a max config laptop :)

If it doesn't work itself out in a day or two, certainly before your return period with the seller expires, I would swap for a new one from the seller.

Or, if stock is low, as it is right now for the G751, and you can live with the dead pixel until you get a chance to RMA with Asus - and it doesn't adversely affect usage - then keep it for RMA with Asus later. It's better to have an awesome latop with a minor flaw than to return it and not have anything for weeks or months.

As part of deciding whether to return to seller or RMA to Asus, check with Asus about the particular pixel issue to make sure they will RMA it.

If you get the RMA number, you can then stretch out the RMA if you need to keep using the laptop right now - make sure you get it on record with Asus that they will fix the dead pixel problem you have - your pixel problem specifically not generically in general - before deciding whether to hang on to it for eventual RMA.

Send photo's of the dead pixel area - closeups - that clearly show the problem and attach the photo's as a zip file to the Technical Inquiry you submit for the dead pixel RMA request.

https://vip.asus.com <== create login here, register laptop, file Technical Inquiry with photo's attached as a zipfile.

You can always return the laptop in the return period, even after registering it and filing the Technical Inquiry and getting an RMA number. If you do end up returning it to the seller, please be nice and let Asus know so they can cancel the RMA and remove the laptop from your registration.

Please come back and let us know what you decide, and how Asus / the seller treat you. :)

kirby2525
11-13-2014, 05:19 AM
Have decided not to bother with returning it over the dead pixel as I'd have to get the replacement matte display version mailed in (pix isn't as bothersome as expected so far). I have however noticed another semi concerning issue, when plugging in the laptop sometimes it wont charge until the power brick is unplugged from the cable that connects to the power outlet, is that normal?

hmscott
11-13-2014, 05:54 AM
Have decided not to bother with returning it over the dead pixel as I'd have to get the replacement matte display version mailed in (pix isn't as bothersome as expected so far). I have however noticed another semi concerning issue, when plugging in the laptop sometimes it wont charge until the power brick is unplugged from the cable that connects to the power outlet, is that normal?

kirby2525, it seems to be normal now... a number of people have mentioned this recently. It is an annoying behavior because you need to unplug the AC side to reset the adapter to start supplying DC power again.

It seems like a protection circuit - when the load on the DC side drops, it goes into an offline mode, that only resets when you power cycle the AC side.

You could put the AC side on a switched AC source, wall switch, or switched power strip - that is what I do with all AC power adapters that don't need to run 24/7, to avoid parasitic AC being burned up by the unloaded power adapters; I can turn off a bunch of them at once this way - and I put the other 24/7 AC devices on another power strip that I never turn off.

Yaderb11
12-09-2014, 02:49 PM
I know this is a bit of an old thread but I got my g751jt yesterday and had no dead pixels so it was all good. I packed up to go to my moms house and when I get there bam! Dead pixel left center of the screen granted I did try nv ocerclocking feature and was able to hit 100hz on the display but got scared and reversed it right away. I did not notice any issue, could the overclock have caused the dead pixel? (can only see it in white background) also the enter key gets stuck at times, thankfully my speakers work well. I am on the fence on sending to Asus I doubt Newegg will take it back since I put a samsung evo in it and wiped the og drive. I am dissapointed to say the least and would appreciate some help here. What should my next step be here? Can I reverse the cloning process using samsung migration? I really like the laptop but I am obsesive with things like dead pixels, my wife and mom keep telling me to let it go and just enjoy the laptop for what it is... But can you when you pay 1.5k and get all this issues??? Ugh sorry for the rant all help is greatly appreciated.

Sagi
12-09-2014, 04:50 PM
I would sent it back for RMA - That's what I did.

I didn't have any dead pixels tho, but I had tons of other issues.. Trust me, once its been fixed you will enjoy it a lot more!

I made a list of things like this:

1. bla bla bla
2. bla bla
3. bla

I also add'd a picture of the laptop (like when you have it in front of you) where I made circles around those area I experienced the issues with.
Each circle had a number refering to the issue I had adressed - They actually gave me some positiv feedback on that.

Just an idea :)

Yaderb11
12-09-2014, 05:04 PM
Thanks for sharing. I will probably call Asus support instead of sending it to newegg since there is no guarantee that a replacement unit won't have similar or worst issues, it is shame really first my RIV extreme now this laptop. Feels like I can't trust this brand to deliver a good product without defects...�� I am also concerned on sending it with my 500gb ssd in it, and then getting a laptop with a missing drive. *Update decided to call newegg and they agreed to an RMA fingers crossed that the mext unit works as it should. I have read in many places that Asus support is pretty bad besides a new laptop should not need repairs, was holding my breath with the first one not getting my hopes up but you never know might win the lotto with the next one feels like I am doing just that playing my luck at this point.

Sagi
12-10-2014, 08:05 AM
Can't give you any update on my RMA yet - I'm still waiting on it.

Atm. they are waiting on the new screen, which should have been there by now.. But for some reason it's been delayed.

I just hope that once I get it back, everything will be working like it should. If I see as much as 1 scratch on my laptop, it's going back again - That's my biggest concern tbh, cause I plan to resell it at some point.

Yaderb11
12-10-2014, 06:14 PM
Well good luck. I think I am going to keep mines since the pixel is so tiny. I rather not deal with returns and the stress that comes from them, this will not be my last laptop so I'll just deal with it. Btw did you notice blur when playing games. I see quite a bit of blur on my unit. Is thiss normal?.

Sagi
12-11-2014, 07:23 AM
Well good luck. I think I am going to keep mines since the pixel is so tiny. I rather not deal with returns and the stress that comes from them, this will not be my last laptop so I'll just deal with it. Btw did you notice blur when playing games. I see quite a bit of blur on my unit. Is thiss normal?.

No, even tho I had other issues, I didn't experience ANY blur what so ever.. I would sent it in for RMA.

But it seems like it's taking some time for them to get the screen.. So far it's been 14days since they ordered it and they still haven't recieved it.

ArthurV
12-25-2014, 12:47 PM
G751JY-DH72X, same story - two stuck pixels, and the speaker sound is rubbish. I'm wondering is it so hard to test the devices before selling it Asus?
So many defects. I've spent $3100 and I'm still feel like I'm a lucky guy because I've got just two bad pixels and not ten. A there's many stories when someone returned laptop with just 1 bad pixel and got replacement laptop with 5 and more bad pixels. Jesus Asus. I know that the IPS panel is actually LG made but it's Asus job to test panels they are putting into the laptop.

Is it worth sending it back for RMA?
I got it from Amazon. Those faulty pixels are visible (bright colored) only on black background, but they are catching my eye every time a black background occurs. But I'm afraid that they will send me back another laptop with with faulty issues and probably even more defects.

Yaderb11
12-25-2014, 06:28 PM
That is the reason I kept my laptop, single dead pixel which I tried fixing also sticky enter key. I did get an RMA confirmation from Rodel from Asus but I am unsure on sending it in after reading the horror stories on the web about Bizcom. I rather keep mines since it is nearly flawless. I will go with MSI or another brand next time though all of my Asus proructs have being defective one way or another one laptop before one mother motherboard shows poor quality control overall, love their stuff but they don't stand well with me anymore.

ArthurV
12-30-2014, 11:47 AM
I actually decided to send it back in the end and I got a new replacement from Amazon. I just decided that for this price I should not be experiencing any defects. Result: the same crappy sound from built in speakers - waiting for updates from Asus on this, still can use headphones or external speakers, can live with that. But, at least, no bad/dead/stuck pixels which I'm very happy about.

+1 for Amazon, -1 for Asus