PDA

View Full Version : Installing SSD with Windows HP 64 on an ASUS G74SX XN1

WhirledNews
10-28-2011, 03:03 PM
I recently purchased an ASUS G74SX XN1 and it is up and running smoothly right now, but one of the reasons why I purchased this model is because of the empty drive slot that I can put the SSD from my desktop in. I have Windows Home Premium 64 Bit installed on the SSD already, is there any way that I can just plop in the SSD, set the BIOS, load drivers and be ok? I hope it is that easy but it really never is, does anyone know if Windows would even allow that or if I will have to reinstall clean? What is the best route to go when trying to get this computer running from a new drive?

Thanks in advance!

BrodyBoy
10-28-2011, 06:33 PM
I recently purchased an ASUS G74SX XN1 and it is up and running smoothly right now, but one of the reasons why I purchased this model is because of the empty drive slot that I can put the SSD from my desktop in. I have Windows Home Premium 64 Bit installed on the SSD already, is there any way that I can just plop in the SSD, set the BIOS, load drivers and be ok? I hope it is that easy but it really never is, does anyone know if Windows would even allow that or if I will have to reinstall clean? What is the best route to go when trying to get this computer running from a new drive?

Thanks in advance!
No, just moving the SSD is not an option. Windows isn't "transferable" like that. You must install a fresh copy of Windows, or transfer the WIndows installation that's already on the Asus.

WhirledNews
10-28-2011, 06:47 PM
Yeah I figured that would probably be the case. I have created a disk with the Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit ISO file on it, I am just worried about the product key. Will it still be valid and work once I reinstall windows on the SSD? Like I said, I have already got the laptop up and runnning and updated Windows on it, I hope that will not affect anything, thanks for the reply.

BrodyBoy
10-28-2011, 06:55 PM
Yes, you can still use your Asus Product key with the new installation. (You may need to go through the automated phone activation system.)

The OEM Windows Product Key that you paid for with your laptop can always be used for a Home Premium installation on THAT machine. It can't be transferred to Windows on any other machine, and it can't be used for any other version of Windows on your G74.

ricksaint
10-28-2011, 07:16 PM
Yeah I figured that would probably be the case. I have created a disk with the Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit ISO file on it, I am just worried about the product key. Will it still be valid and work once I reinstall windows on the SSD? Like I said, I have already got the laptop up and runnning and updated Windows on it, I hope that will not affect anything, thanks for the reply.

Try this. It worked for me. Use the bottom link (beta)
http://directedge.us/content/abr-activation-backup-and-restore

BrodyBoy
10-28-2011, 07:38 PM
I use ABR too....very handy!

But new users should also be aware that they can just re-use the Product Key (manually) and that it's legal and it works.

JRd1st
10-28-2011, 07:43 PM
Try this. It worked for me. Use the bottom link (beta)
http://directedge.us/content/abr-activation-backup-and-restore
Ooo, a useful toy! Tnx!

BrodyBoy
10-28-2011, 08:00 PM
Ooo, a useful toy! Tnx!
It really is. I do a lot of Windows clean installs and re-installs.....and it really makes that part easy.

BTW, I have another G74 coming today! So here we go again! (I plan to use DPC as I go through the clean install, and really try to figure out how/why that Intel WLAN driver is causing hiccups....)

WhirledNews
10-28-2011, 08:41 PM
Ok, now I am a bit confused. BrodyBoy when you are doing these clean installs what CD are you using, I read on the ABR website that you need to have the SP1 disc if that is what was previously installed. Also, why use ABR if you can just write the product ID down when you look in system properties and type it in when installing, or do you have to call Microsoft for that?

JRd1st
10-28-2011, 08:50 PM
BTW, I have another G74 coming today! So here we go again! (I plan to use DPC as I go through the clean install, and really try to figure out how/why that Intel WLAN driver is causing hiccups....)
Good luck Bro!

My Intel wlan driver is showing a spike every 30 seconds, whether the radio is on or off. Only way to stop it is to disable the driver. I don't notice ANY ill effects, though, so I'm not going to obcess over it.

BrodyBoy
10-28-2011, 08:55 PM
This is why I didn't mention ABR, even though I like and use the program. I think it adds unnecessary confusion when someone is just learning how to do this. ABR is a convenience, NOT a necessity, when doing a clean install and re-using your OEM Product Key. The reason I use it is that, once you're familiar & comfortable with it, it makes activation completely seamless and quick. No potential for having to go through MS's activation phone menu, etc. (You won't necessarily have to use the phone system when doing it manually, but it occasionally happens.) But again, it's NOT required.

Also, I sometimes do "experimental" installs, just to test drivers and configurations. This often means re-installing Windows multiples times, so the easy transfer of the activation is a time-saver.

I now use a Windows Installer that includes SP1, but not because of ABR. It's just faster than adding SP1 later.

WhirledNews
10-28-2011, 09:22 PM
Ahh ok I gotcha, I would like to avoid having to do the whole phone bit so I might try it out.

WhirledNews
11-02-2011, 05:20 PM
Well I managed to install the SSD and get Windows running for a bit and then it won't update to SP1, keeps stopping and giving me errors. So I go back and do another reinstall of windows, hopefully it will work this time. Also I think that my screen has a dead pixel in the bottom left corner, I don't even know if I want to mess with the RMA process or not, this blows.

dstrakele
11-02-2011, 05:55 PM
Try installing this Microsoft Update prior to installing SP1: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2533552

BrodyBoy
11-02-2011, 06:02 PM
Also I think that my screen has a dead pixel in the bottom left corner, I don't even know if I want to mess with the RMA process or not, this blows.
You usually get a 30-day dead pixel guarantee. But if that pixel really bothers you, I'd suggest you exchange that unit for another one.