PDA

View Full Version : G751JT-CH1 BIOS reset via jumper or similar?

kennycol
11-14-2014, 05:54 PM
BAH!

This particular model didn't come with an SSD so I purchased a separate one, a Samsung 840 pro 512GB drive (SATA III, not PCIe M.2). I booted to the included HDD when I got the laptop and everything was fine.

Then I pulled out the built in 1TB HDD and put the new SSD in its place. I booted to a USB flash drive with Win8.1 on it and did a fresh Windows install to the SSD. Everything was working great. I did windows update and installed and updated all of the drivers. Once everything was good with the Windows install on the new SSD I put the original HDD back in, but in the second bay.

When I booted up again with the SSD in bay 1 and the HDD in bay 2 it booted to windows just fine, but it was booting up to the windows installed on the HDD, in bay 2. This was the original Windows install that shipped with the laptop. I had already moved that HDD to the second bay and was hoping that was enough for windows to boot to the SSD, since it was in bay 1 and had a valid Windows install as well.

So then I rebooted the laptop into the UEFI BIOS and went to the boot order and deleted the HDD from the list of boot options and made sure that the SSD was the top of the list (which it was).

When exited and saved the laptop rebooted and immediately turned back off again. I tried powering it on again and the same thing happened again. It stays on for about a second (the keyboard lights just barely turn on) and then it powers back off. There's nothing I can do with it! There's no time to try to get back in the BIOS (I've tried) before it turns off again.

I pulled out the HDD leaving just the SDD in bay one and tried again, no luck. I tried pulling the SSD and leaving just the HDD behind, same behavior. I try with no drives in there at all and still no luck.

If this were a desktop motherboard I would just reset the BIOS back to factory defaults with the reset jumper on the motherboard. I looked for such a jumper on the exposed parts of the MB under the bottom access door (where the drives/memory are) but can't see anything like that. Is there any way for me to reset the BIOS without being able to get into the BIOS, or am I going to have to return this laptop?

I'm afraid I'm going to have to send it back and I'm really not happy about it.

jps77
11-22-2014, 12:04 AM
I have almost exactly the same issue. I tried to put a Samsung SSD and it wanted to boot off the old drive. I tried to change boot priority and now when I turn it on all I get is the lightbulb in lower left lights up but I get no display and the keyboard won't light up. Does anyone know of a way to reset the BIOS?

GGFER
12-13-2014, 01:16 AM
some solution

kanecvr
12-26-2014, 09:50 PM
Switch the drives. Put the SSD where the HDD was. If that doesn't work, remove the HDD, and install Windows on the SSD in UEFI mode (worth it, much faster boot time - 2-4 seconds tops). After you finished installing windows in UEFI mode on the SSD, plug in the HDD, enter BIOS, go to the last pannel, and under boot override select UEFI:SAMSUNG whatever model it is. It will boot off the SSD. Once you're in windows, delete all partitions on the HDD, create new ones (empty) and restart. Now it won't boot off the HDD because there's no OS on it to boot from.

I have a hunch ASUS wants us to keep the machines as they are. That's why they put the stock 8gb of ram under the palmrest, and make it difficult to bood from a SATA SSD. I've had several issues until I installed Win 8 in UEFI mode.