PDA

View Full Version : Help! Backtracker just bricked my G751JT-CH71

asgeorge
11-15-2014, 01:17 AM
I got my new laptop today as well as a new 250GB SSD. I figured before I start putting stuff on the machine I'll put the new SSD in bay #1 and move the HDD to bay #2. But first I used Backtracker on a 128GB Sandisk 3.0 USB drive to create the recovery volume.

The Backtracker recovery creation worked perfectly.

I did the swap. Rebooted, the first time I missed the F2 key and it actually booted to the Bay #2 and booted back to windows.

The second time I rebooted I caught the BIOS and swapped the HDD and USB boot order so it would boot to the USB drive.

That time the Backtracker > Recover system to factory default setting window popped up.

Great! Exactly as expected. I choose to Continue and restore.

Backtracker's status bar was about 10 pixels in and I get an error "Failed to recover the system's factory default settings."

"Failed to read or access the USB storage device. System recovery failed. *Please ensure that your USB storage device, which contains the backup data, is connected to your computer's USB port. *Please ensure that your USB storage device is working properly."

I stuck it in my desktop machine and it reads perfectly.

I try all four USB ports, at least twice, same error every time.

I have no copies of Windows laying around, nothing else to load onto my laptop.

I need help and am totally lost. All I can think to do is fork over another $120 to Microsoft and buy another copy of Windows 8 on DVD.

Does anyone have any other ideas?
Thanks.

asgeorge
11-15-2014, 01:32 AM
I went back into BIOS, now only the USB drive is recognized as a bootable drive. The Harddrive is gone (as far as the BIOS is concerned). I went (in the BIOS) into Add New Boot Option, and it sees the Harddrive, but when I select it, I get "No Valid File Available in the Selected File System".

Thanks ASUS!! Great software this Backtracker.... :/ Maybe I'll return the laptop and tell Amazon it was DOA..... So pissed right now.

hmscott
11-15-2014, 02:08 AM
I went back into BIOS, now only the USB drive is recognized as a bootable drive. The Harddrive is gone (as far as the BIOS is concerned). I went (in the BIOS) into Add New Boot Option, and it sees the Harddrive, but when I select it, I get "No Valid File Available in the Selected File System".

Thanks ASUS!! Great software this Backtracker.... :/ Maybe I'll return the laptop and tell Amazon it was DOA..... So pissed right now.

asgeorge, that really sucks, I am very sorry it happened to you, I have seen this reported on the forum several times.

The key step you missed was to remove the original HDD/SSD with the Asus OS installed before starting the recovery to the new SSD.

Asus Backtracker erases anything it finds in both bays before starting the restore, and if the USB flash drive isn't compatible and can't complete the restore - it's already too late - the drives will be re-partitioned - erased - before you find out that the USB drive wasn't compatible.

The only good choice you have now is to RMA it to Asus to have the OS reloaded on to the original HDD - put it back in the original position first and pull out your SSD before shipping - which will likely take 1-2 weeks.

Or, return to Amazon. They will check and find out what happened, IDK if there is a restocking fee. It's best to be honest with the returns person - let them know Asus Backtracker failed to create a working backup and when you went to restore it fails to complete, and now you can't boot.

If you purchased from a brick and mortar store, you might be able to swap units, or even better get a new USB 3.0 16GB flash drive and run Asus Backtracker on the Asus G751JT demo model.

It would be good to know which make/model of USB Flash drive you have that failed, so others don't try it.

For future reference, always remove all drives attached to the ROG laptop before restore. And, remove all USB drives besides the flash drive being created before doing the creation - some have lost their connected USB drives too.

And, always test the restore capability before blowing away your original HDD, as that is the only backup you have.

Please let us know what you decide and how it works out.

asgeorge
11-15-2014, 02:34 AM
Wow, that is a great reply. Thanks for the info. My USB drive is 128gb, it's a SanDisk 3.0.

I am making an image of the USB drive and I'll try this on another USB drive. I'll also call Amazon and see if they'll do an exchange. Sigh....

hmscott
11-15-2014, 02:42 AM
Wow, that is a great reply. Thanks for the info. My USB drive is 128gb, it's a SanDisk 3.0.

I am making an image of the USB drive and I'll try this on another USB drive. I'll also call Amazon and see if they'll do an exchange. Sigh....

asgeorge, good idea, if you can dd up through the end of the 20GB partition (max size created no matter the size of the flash drive), you might be able to get another compatible flash drive to work.

I have suggested doing that before, but noone has tried it. The only thing that might keep it from working is that it is the actual image laid down that is the problem - even though it failed writing correctly it completed. Hopefully it is in the restore commands that the failure is occurring, not the original creation.

Please let us know how it works out.

bookedirl
11-15-2014, 11:00 PM
When you are putting a new hard drive to replace your OS drive you need to remove the old one after you have created the backup image. Once you remove it you can then proceed using the USB image file to load the OS on the new hard drive. The reason is ASUS back tracker will completely erase both hard drives if you don't and like the OP if the image you created is bad you can't create another image. It's 8 screws and one screw to remove the lid... but you don't need to do anything unless you're putting in a different drive like the OP.

cl-Albert
11-18-2014, 11:45 PM

Sorry for the delay and if I read this thread too quickly, but was just thinking if you plan on putting everything back to how it was originally, you may just want to try restoring from your USB drive again to see if it reinstalls your original hard drive without the 'new SSD' installed.

I may be wrong, but just guessing that ASUS Backtracker was not working correctly with the new SSD installed, and may be able to reimage the original hard drive once you put everything back to original configuration.

If that actually works, then you may want to look for a different utility to transfer the hard drive image to your new SSD.

Anyway, you may have thought of this already, but thought I would run it by you just in case.

asgeorge
12-05-2014, 06:24 PM
So, quick update: I was unable to burn the image of the USB onto a smaller flash drive. I have no idea what this means: "if you can dd up through the end of the 20GB partition".

So in the end, I called ASUS, they were nice enough, but insisted that the only thing I could do was FedEx it back to them and let them fix the original HD. I took out my SDD and shipped it back to them in original form.

The shipping took a week, the fix took a week and two days and shipping back to me was almost a week. So I got it back yesterday.

I downloaded the latest version of Backtracker, ran it again on the same USB drive. Then I did the restore the *right* way (took out the orig HD before running the backtracker). The new SDD got the Backtracker image loaded without a problem and Windows came up and looks good.

Then I repartitioned the 1TB drive using a USB adapter plugged into my desktop machine and then put it in the second bay.

The first time I rebooted the laptop it did not see the second drive. I went into BIOS but didn't see anything that would "activate" a second drive. But when I exited and rebooted, the second drive was there!

So I'm fixed, but it was a painful mistake.

I noticed during the Backtracker restore procedure that it does:
1) Formatting Disks
2) Verifying restore image.

Whoever wrote this software should be waterboarded (then shot). Why not check the image first, then format the drives? And why format all drives, why not ask which one I want to do the restore on????? Retarded....

hmscott
12-06-2014, 02:14 AM
asgeorge, There have been some people recently with restore failures from Asus Backtracker, from 1TB HDD boot drives to 250GB SSD's, but your creation/restore worked.

What make/model of Flash drive and SSD did you use? A URL to the specific item would be helpful too.

The Backtracker app needs some logical redesign, and it should allow you to make a DVD for boot as well - to take out the USB flash drive requirement.

..."I was unable to burn the image of the USB onto a smaller flash drive. I have no idea what this means: "if you can dd up through the end of the 20GB partition"."

If you knew what dd was, that was enough to say, otherwise if you didn't know, it would take too long to train you up on what to do, and I didn't want to send you off on a tangent.

For future reference, you would boot on Linux via a Live DVD on the same machine, or run the dd from another machine, or try cygwin from Windows.

dd is UNIX/Linux distro independent for the most part, any UNIX/Linux man page will do, here are some descriptions:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dd_%28Unix%29
http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/utilities/dd.html
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/disk_cloning
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/learn-the-dd-command-362506/

Glad to hear it all worked out. :)

Leptoid
01-14-2015, 02:08 AM
it fails because it is trying to make very specifically sized partitions and runs out of space. you can do it manually with a partitioning program.

krakusek
01-16-2015, 02:56 PM
Is it possible to keep recovery partition on HDD after process of recovering from USB into SSD?
so there will be possibility to recover system from HDD after swapping drives to original state (SSD out, HDD in 1st bay)

@asgeorge - is there on SSD drive recovery partition made during recovery process?