PDA

View Full Version : G751 with three 2.5" drives: Caddies?

JJAP
11-15-2014, 07:50 PM
Hi. I'm ready to pull the trigger on a G751, but I want to make sure I can properly put three 2.5" drives in it. (I want this as a desktop replacement. One drive for storage, one for Windows gaming, one for Unix work).

Question, the first:
According to the sticky "notes" topic, the optical drive can be replaced with a 12.7mm hard drive caddy. Maybe I'm being paranoid, but essentially any generic 12.7mm caddy I find on amazon/newegg for $10-20 should work just fine? (For example, silverstone tek 12.7, 2.5" sata 3 caddy)

Question, the second:
I don't need the M.2 PCIe speed, and so I'd like to buy the 1TB model (CH71) and put a 2.5" in the M.2 PCIe/Sata 2.5" combo slot. We all know that this model won't come with the metal adapter for the M.2 card, but what about a caddy for using the Sata 2.5" slot? With the CH71 come with one? Can a buy one for myself? I'm Ok with just taping it down!

In summary: Will I run into any problems if I buy... the G751 CH71 with 1TB spinning; two 2.5" SSDs; a generic 12.7mm optical drive caddy for one those SSDs; electrical tape for the second :)

zwankh
11-18-2014, 05:19 PM
Hi. I'm ready to pull the trigger on a G751, but I want to make sure I can properly put three 2.5" drives in it. (I want this as a desktop replacement. One drive for storage, one for Windows gaming, one for Unix work).

Question, the first:
According to the sticky "notes" topic, the optical drive can be replaced with a 12.7mm hard drive caddy. Maybe I'm being paranoid, but essentially any generic 12.7mm caddy I find on amazon/newegg for $10-20 should work just fine? (For example, silverstone tek 12.7, 2.5" sata 3 caddy)

Question, the second:
I don't need the M.2 PCIe speed, and so I'd like to buy the 1TB model (CH71) and put a 2.5" in the M.2 PCIe/Sata 2.5" combo slot. We all know that this model won't come with the metal adapter for the M.2 card, but what about a caddy for using the Sata 2.5" slot? With the CH71 come with one? Can a buy one for myself? I'm Ok with just taping it down!

In summary: Will I run into any problems if I buy... the G751 CH71 with 1TB spinning; two 2.5" SSDs; a generic 12.7mm optical drive caddy for one those SSDs; electrical tape for the second :)

Actually, most of the hard drive caddy you can buy on amazon does not fit the G751, which I found out after I uninstalled the old caddy drive on my G75. The new one is much thinner(Which is silly).

JJAP
11-26-2014, 06:19 AM
Can you confirm the caddy size? Is it 12.7mm or 9.5mm?

mavrik
11-27-2014, 11:12 AM
So then are we supposed to use a 2.5 hdd in the left bay without a bracket (caddy) ? I don't imagine that would be safe!

Richdog
11-27-2014, 01:22 PM
So then are we supposed to use a 2.5 hdd in the left bay without a bracket (caddy) ? I don't imagine that would be safe!

I assume that was a rhetorical question.

mavrik
11-27-2014, 01:45 PM
No I'm really asking. If what @zwankh claims is the case then how are we supposed to use a regular 2.5 inch hdd in the left bay? Scotch tape?

Richdog
11-27-2014, 02:21 PM
No I'm really asking. If what @zwankh claims is the case then how are we supposed to use a regular 2.5 inch hdd in the left bay? Scotch tape?

Without a caddy, you can't, at least not without having the skill to make a comparable secure DIY solution. Hence why I assumed it was a rhetorical question.

JJAP
12-07-2014, 07:34 PM
Wait. This can't be right: If you buy the 1 drive version, not only do they not give you the metal support piece for the M.2 drive, they don't give you a necessary caddy for a second 2.5"?

toronto699
12-08-2014, 01:28 AM
http://www.hidevolution.com/asus-g751jy-dh72x-i7-4860hq-4gb-nvidia-gtx-980m-17-3.html
this is where I bought my G751 with 3 HDs plus I kept the optical drive in case I wanted to use it , maybe they can help u out

hmscott
12-08-2014, 03:47 AM

Question, the first:

Question, the second:

JJAP, the G751 has a slimmer optical drive than the G750 which used the 12.7mm size, the G751 has a 9.5mm slot, from a recent post by Zjones1994 used this caddy:

DBPOWER(US Seller) Universal 2nd HDD HARD DRIVE 9.5mm SATA to SATA Caddy
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FWOR638/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here is Zjones1994 post
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?53705-First-ROG-laptop-GL551JM-DH71-Questions&p=455337&viewfull=1#post455337

Which sticky did you find the 12.7mm info for the G751? That should be corrected...

All modern/new G75x laptops come with an empty 2.5" caddy for "empty" bays. There is the rare occurrence where it is missing, but complain to Asus to get one sent to you. Before Asus started shipping them, they weren't available for order either, so a couple of foam strips on bottom/top held the drive connected in place just fine when pressed down by the access cover when in place.

Don't write off the M.2 PCIE speed, it really is a big jump up even from the fastest 2.5" SATA III SSD - from SATA III Max of 550MB/sec to over 1100MB/sec - depending on the performance of the particular M.2 PCIE x4 drive you get. Even the "slow" M.2 PCIE drives attain 900MB+, and the port will support up to 1.6GB/sec when the M.2 PCIE x4 SSD gets made.

Storage IO speed really is the bottleneck to solve for modern computers, lag, skips, and jitters are induced by the HDD. You can cure the worst by disabling APM with a program like quiethdd, but even so the slow 80MB/sec speed to load in game data stops the game mid action - a 550MB/sec SSD won't, and a 1GB/sec M.2 PCIE or a RAID0 of 2 SATA III ports won't even blink.

You should know that for most G751's the Left Bay (the one with the M.2 PCIE port) 2.5" is a SATA III, and the Right Bay is a 2.5" SATA II port - yup, SATA II with a theoretical Max speed of 300MB/sec for your 550MB/sec SSD.

Don't forget to use Asus Backtracker to back up the 1TB HDD recovery partition for safe keeping. Even easier and almost as cheap is to Clone the HDD to a new SSD and set the HDD aside for emergency use, as it's own backup. 2.5" HDD's and even SSD's are cheap enough these days to allow putting that $50 HDD on the shelf.

Please come back and let us know how it works out for you :)

mavrik
12-08-2014, 03:17 PM
So when I get my g751jy I should move the 2.5" hdd to the left bay? (I won't be using an ssd)

hmscott
12-08-2014, 03:23 PM
So when I get my g751jy I should move the 2.5" hdd to the left bay? (I won't be using an ssd)

mavrik, it should already be in the Left Bay, Asus considers that Bay the boot drive Bay - with the M.2 PCIE and SATA III connector. You can physically only use 1 at a time :)

mavrik
12-08-2014, 03:33 PM
mavrik, it should already be in the Left Bay, Asus considers that Bay the boot drive Bay - with the M.2 PCIE and SATA III connector. You can physically only use 1 at a time :)

Thanks. I don't get it though, why couldn't they both have been SATA III
Also, I ordered from HIDevolution and I was told it doesn't come with a caddy for 2.5 hdd

hmscott
12-08-2014, 03:46 PM
Thanks. I don't get it though, why couldn't they both have been SATA III
Also, I ordered from HIDevolution and I was told it doesn't come with a caddy for 2.5 hdd

mavrik, Asus is shipping them, so HIDevolution should be passing them along to you, not charging you for them. Asus sends an empty caddy for every Bay. You should get 2 2.5" caddy's one with the HDD and an empty one for the 2nd Bay.

Check around, other vendors have them included.

mavrik
12-08-2014, 04:19 PM
mavrik, Asus is shipping them, so HIDevolution should be passing them along to you, not charging you for them. Asus sends an empty caddy for every Bay. You should get 2 2.5" caddy's one with the HDD and an empty one for the 2nd Bay.

Check around, other vendors have them included.

Thing is, those guys are easier to deal with for international people.
It's already shipped but I haven't gotten it yet, so I'm not entirely sure if they excluded a 2.5" caddy, but when I asked I was told that it only comes with one.
Though they did include the M.2 PCIE caddy.

hmscott
12-08-2014, 04:33 PM
Thing is, those guys are easier to deal with for international people.
It's already shipped but I haven't gotten it yet, so I'm not entirely sure if they excluded a 2.5" caddy, but when I asked I was told that it only comes with one.
Though they did include the M.2 PCIE caddy.

mavrik, I guess you will find out when you get it then, cross fingers :)

mavrik
12-09-2014, 03:06 PM
mavrik, I guess you will find out when you get it then, cross fingers :)

FYI, I just picked up the notebook and there's only one 2.5" caddy and the HDD is in the right bay...

hmscott
12-09-2014, 04:48 PM
FYI, I just picked up the notebook and there's only one 2.5" caddy and the HDD is in the right bay...

mavrik, the Right Bay is the correct place for a HDD, under SATA II - if that is what the Right Bay on your computer is - you still get 300MB/sec throughput potential and the HDD will like be at most 120MB/sec - mine does 90MB/sec.

The Left Bay is supposed to be SATA III, up to 550MB/sec throughput, so that is good for the SSD when you get it :)

Where did you get the laptop? You should have received a 2nd empty Caddy, file a complaint with Asus as a Technical Inquiry here:

https://vip.asus.com <= create a login, register your laptop, and file the Technical Inquiry, and politely let them know you didn't receive your 2nd Bay caddy and you need Asus to send it to you. Be polite but persistent and escalate to a manager, call in and chat as well as needed.

Did you check in the box? Some are taped up inside the box, with the screws to attach the disk also provide in a plastic bag - look in the manual/paperwork bag for them.

Enjoy your new laptop! :)

toronto699
12-09-2014, 07:11 PM
my G751-JY-HD72X came from hievolotion with all the caddys included , asus ssd , plus 2 other ssd HDs with caddys installed and a caddy for the bluray so I can swap it out when needed. ill check my invoice to see if they charged for the caddys when I get home to night . I talked to hidevolution today I can buy extra caddys for my second HD72X from them they say. its a wonderfull laptop to edit Beta Cam HD video , no bottlenecks in editing or transferring HD beta to the laptop , I got what I asked for from hidvolution.

mavrik
12-09-2014, 07:56 PM
mavrik, the Right Bay is the correct place for a HDD, under SATA II - if that is what the Right Bay on your computer is - you still get 300MB/sec throughput potential and the HDD will like be at most 120MB/sec - mine does 90MB/sec.

The Left Bay is supposed to be SATA III, up to 550MB/sec throughput, so that is good for the SSD when you get it :)

Where did you get the laptop? You should have received a 2nd empty Caddy, file a complain with Asus as a Technical Inquiry here:

https://vip.asus.com <= create a login, register your laptop, and file the Technical Inquiry, and politely let them know you didn't receive your 2nd Bay caddy and you need Asus to send it to you. Be polite but persistent and escalate to a manager, call in and chat as well as needed.

Did you check in the box? Some are taped up inside the box, with the screws to attach the disk also provide in a plastic bag - look in the manual/paperwork bag for them.

Enjoy your new laptop! :)

but my HDD is SATA III 6 GB/s, wouldn't a SATA II connector impede it from using its full performance potential?
I can live without a second hdd caddy, I'm just glad it got here in one piece after crossing all this distance :D

hmscott
12-09-2014, 08:19 PM
but my HDD is SATA III 6 GB/s, wouldn't a SATA II connector impede it from using its full performance potential?
I can live without a second hdd caddy, I'm just glad it got here in one piece after crossing all this distance :D

mavrik, the speed of the media - the hard disk - is the limiting factor, not the interface. At 120MB/sec either a SATA II or SATA III interface would both deliver the same performance for that HDD.

A 550MB/sec SSD would run at full speed on the SATA III interface, but only at 300MB/sec on the SATA II interface. In that case the SSD would be best on the SATA III interface..

Which is likely why Asus put the slow HDD in the SATA II Bay, and left the SATA III Bay Empty in case you want to install a fast SSD later.

Have fun :)

mavrik
12-09-2014, 08:32 PM
mavrik, the speed of the media - the hard disk - is the limiting factor, not the interface. At 120MB/sec either a SATA II or SATA III interface would both deliver the same performance for that HDD.

A 550MB/sec SSD would run at full speed on the SATA III interface, but only at 300MB/sec on the SATA II interface. In that case the SSD would be best on the SATA III interface..

Which is likely why Asus put the slow HDD in the SATA II Bay, and left the SATA III Bay Empty in case you want to install a fast SSD later.

Have fun :)

Thanks for the info, I appreciate your input.
One last question though; if i'm not using an SSD and I have a SATA II and a SATA III, would it make any difference which one goes in which bay?

hmscott
12-09-2014, 09:26 PM
Thanks for the info, I appreciate your input.
One last question though; if i'm not using an SSD and I have a SATA II and a SATA III, would it make any difference which one goes in which bay?

mavrik, try it, run a few disk benchmarks, swap bays, run the benchmarks again, and let us know if there is a practical difference. :)

toronto699
12-10-2014, 04:35 PM
hidevolution.com charged me 15$ for the ODD caddy {optical bay SATA Hard drive Caddy Adaptor} the caddys for the 2 other SSDs were included in the price of the HDs no extra charge

IggyUSA
12-16-2014, 06:15 PM
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004Y8SGXW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

9.5 mm

for model G551

Swarmy
03-10-2015, 01:17 AM
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?52776-Notes-before-buying-G751-series

Post #6 By Marshall.

hmscott
03-10-2015, 01:28 AM
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?52776-Notes-before-buying-G751-series

Post #6 By Marshall.

Swarmy, that is incorrect, it is 9.5 mm not a 12.7mm, I let Marshall know and asked him to please update his old post, thanks for catching that Swarmy!

Swarmy
03-10-2015, 06:14 AM
No problem, I ordered a 12.7 and couldnt fit it in, good thing I have an Y580 that really liked the upgrade :) Just got my 9.5 in from China! WOOOO!!!! lol will get it installed asap.