PDA

View Full Version : G751 Have you updated to BIOS 204? Please answer this question.

Exostenza
11-16-2014, 05:25 AM
BIOS 203 made it so that the max turbo boost goes down one multiplier which leaves us with 3.4ghz max in Intel XTU while the original 202 BIOS allows for 3.5ghz. I was wondering if someone has updated to the new 204 BIOS and could tell me if the max multiplier is still stuck at 34x or if they fixed it and it can go to 35x on all four cores. The CPU in this machine is slightly too weak to fully drive the GPU so the extra 100mhz actually gives us a few more FPS in games. I want to have the updates for the thermal policy and EC Bin, but I want the 35x multiplier more.

Thanks

hmscott
11-16-2014, 07:33 AM
BIOS 203 made it so that the max turbo boost goes down one multiplier which leaves us with 3.4ghz max in Intel XTU while the original 202 BIOS allows for 3.5ghz. I was wondering if someone has updated to the new 204 BIOS and could tell me if the max multiplier is still stuck at 34x or if they fixed it and it can go to 35x on all four cores. The CPU in this machine is slightly too weak to fully drive the GPU so the extra 100mhz actually gives us a few more FPS in games. I want to have the updates for the thermal policy and EC Bin, but I want the 35x multiplier more. Thanks

Exostenza, good news - reports here of the 204 update fixing temp issues, and I noticed their hwinfo64 reports posted shows 35x in the multi section :)

http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/761783-asus-g751-coming-maxwell-gtx-980m-gtx-970m-15.html#post9831122

Re-posting comment and image:

"After installing newest bios i tried prime95 again (separately this time). Click image for larger version. This is better right?"

Exostenza
11-18-2014, 02:26 PM
Thanks a bunch!
FYI: I increased the turbo boost power max from 47A to 48A and it stays in a higher multi during higher stress situations.

hmscott
11-19-2014, 07:07 AM
Thanks a bunch!
FYI: I increased the turbo boost power max from 47A to 48A and it stays in a higher multi during higher stress situations.

Exostenza, great find! I had played with this before, but only when testing under heavy load, and it didn't make much difference so I stopped tweaking it.

But, recently I have been having streaming video glitches in Hulu/Netflix which I couldn't quite optimize out, upping the Turbo Boost Power Max to 50w, I haven't had a single glitch in days :)

Before this change I also tried running in High Performance mode, which didn't help, now I am back on the Balanced Performance Power Plan, and no hiccups in streaming playback.

I think the issue for me was that recently the Comcast plan has gone from 60Mbps to 120Mbps and somehow the speed up caused load issues that have been smoothed out by the increased Turbo Boost Power Max to 50w from 47w.

Thanks Exostenza!

seagle7
11-19-2014, 07:23 AM
BIOS 203 made it so that the max turbo boost goes down one multiplier which leaves us with 3.4ghz max in Intel XTU while the original 202 BIOS allows for 3.5ghz. I was wondering if someone has updated to the new 204 BIOS and could tell me if the max multiplier is still stuck at 34x or if they fixed it and it can go to 35x on all four cores. The CPU in this machine is slightly too weak to fully drive the GPU so the extra 100mhz actually gives us a few more FPS in games. I want to have the updates for the thermal policy and EC Bin, but I want the 35x multiplier more.

Thanks

I can confirm it too, out of the box, I was around 50 to 55 degrees celcius in idle for the CPU and 50 degrees for the GPU, with the Bios 204, I am around 40 to 45 degrees for both the CPU and the GPU, which is great !

Have a good day

Exostenza
11-21-2014, 04:14 PM
@hmscott I am glad to be of service! It sucks though that we are limited to 3.4ghz with BIOS 203 and above. That extra 100mhz actually gives us a bit more performance in games from our card. I guess I will have to contact support and ask if they can forward to the BIOS team a question to look into it.