PDA

View Full Version : ROG CG8480 recovery / upgrade too ssd

Pyropetepete
11-16-2014, 03:47 PM
My friend has a ROG CG8480, it's got a 2TB drive installed. He's done the upgrade to 8.1. I've tried but unable to get the system to do a recovery or make disk. The options are not there.

I've got an offical 8.1 ISO (MSDN) but he doesn't have his COA. Is this emebeded or it worth me trying to recover his COA from some some software?

The plan is to upgrade to an SSD which we have waiting but can not clone the 2TB due to it being full of DATA. So the fall back plan was to use the recovery discs to make a new install. Doesn't look like much of an option so have too be the old way of install windows etc etc.

Anyone able too advice please

sk2play
11-17-2014, 01:12 AM
Welcome to Asus Forum Pyropetepete :rolleyes:

This thread might be moved to the Gaming PC's area where several CC8480 questions have been asked

I see the recovery partition for this series is on the (2tb HDD) which you seem to be aware it is there. When you first boot up the desktop, do you see hit F2, F5, F10 or ? to enter system restore. If you do, this should be able restore the original SSD without effecting the 2tb Data Drive.

If not, why not clone the original SSD to the new SSD? Recommend using http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx Then keep that original SSD in storage as your back recovery disk. You may want to get a 2.5 external SATA enclosure for ease of use.