PDA

View Full Version : Memory Usage- Possible problem ?

hudjw
10-28-2011, 11:02 PM
Hello.
I have purchased asus g74 before about a week and until now everything works perfect.

Last two days, i am checking each while the windows gandget that showing the cpu and memory usage and the memory usage its starting from 49% and after about 5-6 hours it goes to 70%.

I have 8 gb ram installed.

I am only running football manager 2012 and google chrome( of course and all the other programs that asus have pre-installed on my laptop, but does those programs use all those memory ? )

i am waiting for your helpful answers:)

JRd1st
10-28-2011, 11:10 PM
I don't know how much memory the Asus programs use, but if you aren't using them, uninstall them. Look in Task Manager, under the Processes tab, and you'll see a column for memory. See what's using all that memory!

Let us know.

BTW, I think Chrome has a bunch of processes. I'm sure you know that Google cares more about gathering your info than it does about giving you a browser, right?

hudjw
10-28-2011, 11:19 PM
i ve just made two print screens of my memory usage, those maybe help you understand

http://i41.tinypic.com/hurf41.jpg

http://i43.tinypic.com/rjef4y.jpg

I didint know that about chrome, what intertet browser are you suggesting ?

JRd1st
10-28-2011, 11:22 PM
I use Firefox

JRd1st
10-28-2011, 11:27 PM
Football Manager used a LOT of memory! 1.2GB approx! What does that program do? If you close it and reopen it does it go right back to the same memory usage?

And Chrome has 7 processes. Why does a browser need 7 processes?

hudjw
10-28-2011, 11:30 PM
Football Manager used a LOT of memory! 1.2GB approx! What does that program do? If you close it and reopen it does it go right back to the same memory usage?

And Chrome has 7 processes. Why does a browser need 7 processes?

Maybe because i am using a lot of tabs the same time ?

i will try to close Football manager now and i will let you know

hudjw
10-28-2011, 11:34 PM
i have closed fm 2012 , memory is now about 50 %

JRd1st
10-28-2011, 11:36 PM
OK.

Do you leave your notebook on all the time, or do you shut the power down at night?

BTW, I have 12GB RAM and I'm using 19% with just Firefox, but closing Firefox only brings it down to 18%, so 18% is all background processes, like antivirus, PerfectDisk, Acronis TrueImage, etc

JRd1st
10-28-2011, 11:37 PM
Restart your notebook, what is it after all the background processes are loaded, but you haven't run any applications?

Yahooligan
10-28-2011, 11:39 PM
Keep in mind that the OS caches data in memory, memory isn't ONLY used by processes. The memory used for cache will also show up in the widget as "used" memory. When a program reads data from disk then some of that data and the application itself will be cached so it loads faster if you were to close it and re-open it shortly thereafter.

I wouldn't be worried about it. If you want to know more, search for "windows memory management" and do some reading. :D

As for Chrome, all you have to do is turn off sending them usage statistics and make sure you have sane privacy settings. I gave up on Firefox, Chrome works much better for me.

hudjw
10-28-2011, 11:40 PM
I am closing my laptop at night.
i will make a restart in a while and i will let you know because i am waiting a download to be finished that is not supporting resuming.

What are all those svchost.exe that are running ? about 15 procceses svchost.exe

JRd1st
10-28-2011, 11:57 PM
OK, but if it's any use to you, I restarted and when everything was loaded I had 15% of my 12GB used, so that would be about 22% if I had 8GB, I think.

Yahooligan
10-29-2011, 12:34 AM
svchost manages core Windows services.

hudjw
10-29-2011, 08:30 AM
hello again.

thanks for your answers.

I ve just open my laptop now and the memory starts at 25% at the start up without running any other programs.

About yesterday, as i said i was downloading something with google chrome and when it finished from 60% the memory went down to 25 !!! thats was very strange

I have runned the memory diagnostics tools of windows and i got no errors.

JRd1st
10-29-2011, 01:14 PM
The download is cached until its completed then its written to disk.

When you get rid of unneeded Asus apps, and check what you have running at startup, you should be fine.

Good luck!

hudjw
10-29-2011, 02:21 PM
Thank again mate for the answers
I have found two topics here that explain how to make a new installation of windows, because i will change my second hard drive to the new ssd i have bought. i will made the new installation and install only the necesary programs, then i think everything will be fixed.

dstrakele
10-30-2011, 05:01 AM
From what you reported to date, I don't believe you are experiencing any unusual memory problems. Memory leaks occur in software, even OS processes, because they are not designed properly. They get memory allocations to perform tasks and should eventually release that memory when the task is completed or the application is shut down (or when OS memory caching - as discussed by Yahooligan -determines it can be released). Sadly, this is not always the case. Some processes will not release memory when they should. As a result, they keep using more and more memory as long as they run, and can evetually run your system out of memory unless it is rebooted. The memory is recovered only on a hard reset of the system. If you continue to sleep/hibernate your system without EVER rebooting, at some point you will experience a failure just for this reason.

Reducing the number of applications running at any one time (i.e. the ASUS Bloatware) could only help reduce memory consumption and memory leaks.