PDA

View Full Version : Workaround: G551JM goes to sleep while playing games

emooo
11-16-2014, 09:29 PM
I have external monitor connected to the my G551 laptop. I have a setup in "power options" where closing the lid is not putting the computer to sleep so I can have the laptop screen collapsed to prevent dust piling on laptop keyboard. This is very common setup for laptop gamers.

My problem - when i start a game (Crysis3, Battlefield 4 and more) computer goes to sleep after 3-5 min (| have sleep disabled in power options). First i thought my computer is overheating but then i noticed that it goes to sleep only when the lid is closed. That doesn't happen in desktop mode only when playing games. My workaround so far is to keep the lid open but i don't like that.

I hope Asus representative to read that and escalate this bug and have it fixed. I hope this post to help other people having same issue. Many post over internet points to GPU overheating but obviously it is not in my case because everything is fine with lid open.

grimpa
12-19-2014, 10:20 PM
Hi, just wanted to note that I'm having this exact same problem. Running win 7 pro. Have not seen the issue at any time other than when gaming.

Maybe it's just something we've both missed in windows.

Wolverine130
01-04-2015, 05:00 PM
I'm seeing the same issue with the G551JM while running World of Tanks. I've tried it using the onboard graphics and the NVIDIA GTX 860M. While using Core Temp it appears to be a CPU temperature issue, during normal desktop use it varies from 49 to 61 degrees, but during WoT it ramps up 89 to 90 with the display lid up, and peaked at 93 degrees with the lid down before it goes to Sleep. I assume that it hit 95 and the system shut down due to the 100 degree max with a 5 degree safety shutdown. I also have the laptop on a cooling pad. This is a new stock G551JM, the only other programs installed on it is Microsoft Office products, so it's as lean as it gets.

Asus, any ideas?

GodLikeBG
01-25-2015, 06:08 PM
hi guys i have the same problem but when i play Star Craft 2 after 6-10 min and my screen is closed , laptop i going in sleep mode

any solutions ???

d0rf3n
05-22-2015, 11:20 PM
For people looking this up having the same problem. Me and some other people have encountered problems with the ATK Package Driver somehow causing this.

Try updating to the latest through this way: http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&m=ATK+Package&hashedid=n%2fa

Later version then on some of the laptops own driver page. Currently 1.0.0038 as of writing this post.

This has worked for me! Hope it helps someone else.

Otherwise try to uninstalling ATK Package to check if its really the problem.