PDA

View Full Version : So... anyone bought a G751 that WORKS PERFECTLY out of the box? No issues?

Richdog
11-18-2014, 09:19 AM
We have a couple of thread for the awful (and quite frankly unforgivable) speaker issues, and I have read a lot of reports of problems with the WLAN 7260 module too.

What I want to know is, does anyone have an ASUS G751 where the speakers DO WORK properly in 2.1 sound, and where the WLAN is holding a fast and stable connection?

Reading about these issues are making me feel like I want to get a refund on my (as yet uncollected) machine, so I am eager to hear from people who DO have machines that are working as intended! :(

seagle7
11-18-2014, 11:22 AM
We have a couple of thread for the awful (and quite frankly unforgivable) speaker issues, and I have read a lot of reports of problems with the WLAN 7260 module too.

What I want to know is, does anyone have an ASUS G751 where the speakers DO WORK properly in 2.1 sound, and where the WLAN is holding a fast and stable connection?

Reading about these issues are making me feel like I want to get a refund on my (as yet uncollected) machine, so I am eager to hear from people who DO have machines that are working as intended! :(

Well, I'm tempted to say yes, as a matter of fact, only poeple who have problems would post to signal it, the others just won't.
Mine is working great, I just have a minor issue with my ssd array where one disk works only at 3Gb/s but it seems to be a disk related issue, like I replaced the original disks, I can't blame Asus for this...

What I can say on the other hand is that, I see a lot of videos, forums, where poeple seem to be very happy with their products and I am one of them :)

QC_AGENT
11-18-2014, 12:28 PM
Mine was perfect until I find that the Webcam/microphone was dead out of the box. I just sent it back for an RMA exange. I'm so worried about getting another faulty machine in exange...

However I won't cancel my order (cause I still can ask for a complete refund) I experienced what this incredible machine can do and I definitely want it back. I Will RMA until I get one that is fine.

bookedirl
11-18-2014, 12:33 PM
So far I have had 2 JT models. One with non functional mouse buttons and one with a spacebar not registering keys.
I didn't really notice an issue with sound but I normally wear headphones... I'll be checking on the next one.

BullFinch
11-18-2014, 03:52 PM
I have a JT-CH71 from Amazon. Till this point the machine has no problem apart from a slightly pitchy speaker, but I don't know how a ROG speaker sound in real life though since this is my first ROG after 8 years of Mac.

irablumberg
11-18-2014, 04:11 PM
I have a JY that I got 3 days ago. So far it seems perfect. I have run Shadows of Mordor and it looks great and sounds very nice. I have not tested everything. For instance, I have no idea if the webcam and microphone work as I don't usually use these things.

All the major stuff works fine. The keyboard is fine, the display has no bad pixels, the disk drives work properly, the tack pad and buttons are good, WiFi is fast and reliable after a driver update, ethernet port works, battery charges quickly and seems to have good life, etc.

Overall, a very nice system with excellent performance. It hits higher benchmark numbers than my desktop with an AMD R9-290 GPU on Shadows of Mordor.

HulkSmash
11-18-2014, 04:14 PM
JT-CH71 working perfectly from amazon!

BRSxIgnition
11-18-2014, 05:46 PM
Hulk, do you want to be the hero of this board and see if installing the Realtek Audio Drivers from the ASUS G751JT support site does anything to your speakers?

Seeing as yours are working fine and we think that the drivers may be causing the "Subwoofer-only-Sound" issue, we need someone with working speakers to test it. Only if you can restore afterwards, of course.

QC_AGENT
11-18-2014, 06:19 PM
Ignition, After I foud Out that my embedded microphones/webcam were not working, I went to the Asus support and installed the Realtek Drivers Version V6.0.1.7335.

It did not change anything. The speakers were fine though before AND after. I also updated two chipset intel drivers. Everything else was up to date.

My Laptop is a G751JY-DH73-CA. Actually out for an RMA exange

hmscott
11-18-2014, 07:05 PM
Hulk, do you want to be the hero of this board and see if installing the Realtek Audio Drivers from the ASUS G751JT support site does anything to your speakers?

Seeing as yours are working fine and we think that the drivers may be causing the "Subwoofer-only-Sound" issue, we need someone with working speakers to test it. Only if you can restore afterwards, of course.

BRSxIgnition, shouldn't we ask Hulk what version of the Realtek drivers are installed out of the box? It would be nice to know what version is working, before he installs the new version, also so he can back up to it if the new version doesn't work :)

BRSxIgnition
11-18-2014, 07:14 PM
BRSxIgnition, shouldn't we ask Hulk what version of the Realtek drivers are installed out of the box? It would be nice to know what version is working, before he installs the new version, also so he can back up to it if the new version doesn't work :)

Actually, someone PM'd me last week and mentioned theirs came with Realtek Audio v7348, which seems to be a newer driver actually.

I tried installing it but it didn't do anything.

Ignition, After I foud Out that my embedded microphones/webcam were not working, I went to the Asus support and installed the Realtek Drivers Version V6.0.1.7335.

It did not change anything. The speakers were fine though before AND after. I also updated two chipset intel drivers. Everything else was up to date.

My Laptop is a G751JY-DH73-CA. Actually out for an RMA exange

Hmmm... Odd.. I wonder why the issue is only happening with some of them then.. Maybe it is simply focused on the JT-line?

seagle7
11-19-2014, 07:29 AM
Actually, someone PM'd me last week and mentioned theirs came with Realtek Audio v7348, which seems to be a newer driver actually.

I tried installing it but it didn't do anything.

Hmmm... Odd.. I wonder why the issue is only happening with some of them then.. Maybe it is simply focused on the JT-line?

I can be that hero :D as soon as I get back home to do it, I am actualy trying to transfert my OS to a raid 0 array and I have issues with one SATA port so I can test pretty much everything with the drivers/system if you ask to, don't hesitate. i already backed up my system in every possible way so it won't matter.

Richdog
11-19-2014, 10:14 AM
Mine (picked it up last night) seems to be ok barring awful wireless issues... will start a separate thread on that I think.

fidelity101
11-19-2014, 03:08 PM
I have the G751JY. Camera works fine. I'm not 100% sure on the wireless issues as I'm using my Iphone 5S for wireless internet (connected via the cable) as the hotel wireless speed is horribly slow at 3mbps...took me 2 day to download far cry 4. :) But using my Iphone 5S, I was getting speeds of about 5-12mbps. I went into the audio wizard and I do not appear to have a subwoofer on the laptop. Speaker audio (2 channel) works fine but anything else, like 5.1, only plays the first two speakers...nothing from the subwoofer.

Other than that, I'm pretty happy that I can play Far Cry 4 for about 70 minutes on a fully charged battery with smooth graphics.

Also, my audio drivers are 6.3.9600.16384 provided by microsoft on 8/22/2013.
This is from DEVICE MANAGER, AUDIO INPUTS AND OUTPUTS, SPEAKERS

Under DEVICE MANGER, SOUND VIDEO AND GAME CONTROLLERS, REALTEK HIGH DEFINITION AUDIO:
6.0.1.7335 from Realtek provided on 9/2/2014

Under DEVICE MANAGER, SOUND VIDEO AND GAME CONTROLLERS, NVIDIA HIGH DEFINITION AUDIO:
1.3.32.1 from NVIDIA provided on 7/21/2014

UPDATE: Apparently there is suppose to be a subwoofer in this G751 laptop. I can see it, but it doesn't work. Hopefully it's only a software issue but I've never heard it come on.

andreacos92
11-19-2014, 05:16 PM
That's really demotivating, WiFi and sound issues seem to be usual on this laptops.
Reading your experiences, I'm not so sure anymore.. if I spend € 1800+ I expect it works flawlessly, but here seems you have to pray for having no issues :(

QC_AGENT
11-19-2014, 07:03 PM
Hummm, since it is brought up, I never noticed a 2.1 output on any laptop sound manager software. It always refers to Laptop Stereo output (2.0). I always assumed it was working 2.1 even it was described 2.0.

BRSxIgnition
11-19-2014, 08:32 PM
Well, the issue most of us have been experiencing is sound coming only through the subwoofer. (Nothing through the back speakers)

To partially remedy this, a user can delete the realtek device AND its drivers in Device Manager, then reboot their machine. Doing so installs the windows drivers and allows them to switch to the rear speakers. (But not to use both the rear speakers + sub in a 2.1 setup)

This is a really annoying flaw to have on what is otherwise an amazing laptop.

I still haven't gotten any help (or response) on my technical inquiry.

seagle7
11-19-2014, 08:53 PM
My speakers are working fine, here are the drivers installed, just tell we if you want me to test other drivers

hmscott
11-20-2014, 12:35 AM
My speakers are working fine, here are the drivers installed, just tell we if you want me to test other drivers...

seagle7, the version number we are looking for is the installed package version number. I show the same driver number as your image for the Realtek Digital Output, thank you, but we need to see the version number that shows in Programs and Features, like this v6.0.1.7335 - commonly known as version 7335

Thanks seagle7!

rsainju
11-20-2014, 12:59 PM
Hi,
I have a issue with my display, as i am connecting via HDMI with extended display. The problem is when ever i restart or re-boot it only goes to external display and the laptop display goes black. while i check in screen resolution it shows another display not detected and i would able to choose dedicated VGA. but still the problem is there. Is there any solution for this or I need to send it back!

Richdog
11-20-2014, 01:39 PM
Hi,
I have a issue with my display, as i am connecting via HDMI with extended display. The problem is when ever i restart or re-boot it only goes to external display and the laptop display goes black. while i check in screen resolution it shows another display not detected and i would able to choose dedicated VGA. but still the problem is there. Is there any solution for this or I need to send it back!

I would create a new and dedicated thread for this to ensure you get more answers... this is not really the thread for tech support.

Solaran_X
11-20-2014, 04:53 PM
The only issue I have with my G751JM is that ASUS GPU Tweak doesn't seem to function properly and won't initialize.

Aside from that, my only gripe is the very poor SODIMM arrangement that makes the factory installed SODIMMs require removing the bottom plate of the laptop in order to remove and upgrade.

As of right now, I've added 16GB of Corsair Vengeance DDR3L (and yes, it does run at 1.35V and not 1.5V - verified with HWInfo) and replaced the 1TB 5400 RPM HHD with a pair of 250GB Samsung 840 EVO SSDs. Sooner or later I'll remove the bottom plate and put the last 16GB of Corsair into it.

dapogz
11-24-2014, 02:01 AM
Hello, anyone manage to transfer their OS to to an SSD without any issue?.. Thanks

gknitz
11-24-2014, 02:08 PM
I am looking to buy a G751JY-DH71

I read a number of reviews that talk about issue with the ASUS G751 series out of the box problems.
Is there a diagnostic or way to test a new machine out of the box without having to find out 3 months from now something never worked? The machine is useless if it is out for repair.
TIA.

wesley101
11-24-2014, 07:19 PM
I would like to say that my Asus Rog G751JT-CH1 from Newegg.com was working out of the box. I tested audio, video display, USB ports, HDMI and the touchpad plus left / right clickers, keyboard etc... All seems fine.

One problem i had was trying to install Windows 7 Pro on SSD in my attempt to eliminate Windows 8.1. I couldn't do it, doesn't seem to have drivers, so Windows 8.1 has grown on me.

Solaran_X
11-24-2014, 09:18 PM
Hello, anyone manage to transfer their OS to to an SSD without any issue?.. Thanks
I had to run the migration process twice with Samsung's software, but it runs find on my Samsung 840 EVO.

Pio Kildare
11-25-2014, 05:44 PM
Well cant say perfect

I use headphones, have not tried speakers
Could not get HDMI to work on my external monitor, switched to a VGA cable
Dont use Wifi, it has a hard line to my router.

But no other issues besides a printer conflict with an old version of Snagit I like to use, disabled the printer install and now works fine.

CĂ©dric
11-25-2014, 06:06 PM
3 issues with this laptop

1) probs with speakers

2) 1 USB 3.0 ports keep disconecting/reconnecting

3) Slow internet speed

This ROG is my 2nd ROG laptop in 4-5months, the first one was a G750JM with BSOD and now i get this....
I'm really thinking about sending it and get my money back and forget Asus ROG and laptop for a long time.

soniality
06-02-2015, 02:47 AM
1. Left speaker problem. left side of the touch pad. is it the bass or speaker? able to notice some buzzing sound.

2. One left USB port not working properly. sometime work sometime not.

3. installed SSD and moved my window. after cloning, bios dont boot from SSD and keep restart my laptop non-stop. my screen keep blinking. tried multiple times and succeed.

4. try to turn on my laptop, but black screen. Can see keyboard backlight, can on and off CAPLOCK. force shutdown multiple times, unplug power cord, then finally able to log in to window.

I got 1 to 1 exchange on the spot when i purchase it. same speaker problem, unacceptable. Still within 7 days, think to exchange for another new unit due to the black screen.

AQUASTEVAE
06-02-2015, 09:26 PM
i bought my g751jy from gentechpc.com, and i haven't had any of the problems i have read about. mine came with the 7432 audio drivers, and my sound is excellent. it is very loud, no cracking and crystal clear. of course i tweaked the hd audio program as soon as i got it. also, i must admit, i deleted win 8.1 the first day i got it, and installed windows 7 ult. x64 on one partition, and windows 10 on the other. i also have all ssd's in it. but it has run perfectly almost the entire time i've had it. the only problems i have had, i caused while trying to do things. all my usb's work, screen is the best i've ever seen on a notebook, and the keyboard is excellent. the one thing that has really, really pissed me off, is the lacking sata port in the second drive bay, but i also put both my samsung evo 1tb ssd, and the pcie ssd in the first bay together, and all is well with the world.

ltrees
06-11-2015, 10:35 AM
I'm also facing problems with my G751JY, which I got a few days ago.
It keeps freezing( or hanging), be it when I was watching Youtube on Google Chrome to playing games.
After freezing, it will automatically restart itself.
I have tried many things, short of erasing everything.
I refreshed my PC without affecting the files and reinstalled everything.
Can't seem to find out what seems to be the problem.
Anyone else has this issue?

Bayerius
06-11-2015, 06:41 PM
jt -- sound issue... like all others...

skimpi
06-12-2015, 06:53 PM
I updated the sound drivers a while back and also the wireless one . tbh the sound is OK but rattly/distorted at full volume but I don't need it loud anyway (b4 sound driver update it was terrible) , and as for the wireless speeds they seem pretty good now after updating .JY model here 24gigs ram 256 ssd 980m. Am I happy , I guess so -) .
Im still on original bios which I should prolly update ?
this g sync debate however I'm hoping for the freebie -)) would make me feel like Asus were a decent company (first time I bought from them since a gtx 460 many moons ago)
edit
one thing I had to do was disable the trackpad as it was spamming left click sometimes when not being pressed which drove me mad , along with my big hands using wasd keys the touchpad was impossible to avoid sometimes which caused issues. Maybe the bios update fixes that issue I realy don't know

recky-rockt
06-19-2015, 04:32 PM
Hey,

i got two machines from Amazon.de and both I sent back because I had several issues.

1. I was not able to do a backup image of the system.
2. The notebook went down and I could not start it again immediately. After several times off restart I came back to windows.
3. I had several issues with the sub ports
4. I got often a windows freeze, the only thing to solve this was pushing the power button but then I was in the situation as I mentioned under point 1.

Two machines, two back to the vendor.

I like this power notebook, but it does not work fine. For me, 2000€ for a machine that does not really work as it should is not a good deal!

Gr

Ps. My speakers were fine:)