PDA

View Full Version : A Simple Question, Does the g751jy have a backup on it?

Boaz Beatz
11-18-2014, 09:33 AM
Does the g751jy have a backup on it? or do i need to create one myself if i wanted to restore windows and start over as new?

hmscott
11-18-2014, 11:01 AM
Does the g751jy have a backup on it? or do i need to create one myself if i wanted to restore windows and start over as new?

Boaz Beatz, that is the right question to ask, and I wish more people would think of it before blowing away their only recovery media - the partitions on their original boot drive.

You can use Asus Backtracker to create a bootable USB 3.0 16GB flash drive to use to restore to another drive later. It should be the first thing we all do when we get a new ROG laptop. If the original boot disk gets blown away, there is no other way to restore the OS than to return it to Asus for reloading.

Loading a Microsoft Media install of Windows ends up losing/miissing functionality, varies across difference models - it's fun to experiment, but keep the original install available to load before sending back to Asus for support - they will ask you to do that before you RMA it, to verify the failure also happens on the Asus OS build before RMA is approved.

You can also use power off, power up, tap F9 - to get the recovery refresh/reset options to refresh Windows to defaults or reset to out of the box install - blowing away the current partitions on all drives in the laptop.

Be careful. When creating the Asus Backtracker flash recovery drive, disconnect any other USB devices as they might be erased.

Before booting on the Asus Backtracker USB 3.0 16GB flash recovery drive, pull out any other internal drives - like the original boot drive - as the first thing the restore does is to re-partition all the drives it finds. If the restore fails - you would have blown away the original recovery partition and wouldn't be able to try to create another flash drive. RMA back to Asus.

Sometimes Asus Backtracker will say it created a recovery drive successfully, only to fail on the restore. Make sure you do a test restore if you don't intend to use it right away - put in another drive - not your original boot drive - and test the restore. If you are going to use the recovery flash drive for a restore to a new SSD/HDD right away, that will be your test :)

2.5" drives are cheap, the 1TB boot drive that comes with the Asus can be purchased for $50, I recommend putting it on the shelf to use later if you need to send the laptop in to Asus for service.

If you want to clone the original OS, along with your new installs / configurations, I use Macrium Reflect. It let me clone down in size from the 1TB to 256GB/512GB SSD. It preserves the GPT/UEFI on the original boot drive, so you can clone to a new SSD, swap it in the old HDD position, and boot up without BIOS changes.

Macrium Reflect Free
http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

Asus splits all drives into at least 2 partitions, and the boot drive gets carved up into two mounted partitions and several recovery / system partitions.

On the clone or restored new SSD you can delete the partitions and combine into 1 mounted partition for C, and the 2nd Bay drive can be combined to put all the space into 1 mounted partition.

You need to use admin command line diskpart, and delete override to delete the protected OEM partitions. Here is a post with examples:

Anyone knows how to merge C & D disk/drive into one?
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?51245-Anyone-knows-how-to-merge-C-amp-D-disk-drive-into-one&p=433539&viewfull=1#post433539

Have fun :)

Boaz Beatz
11-18-2014, 12:02 PM
but lets say if i want to just restore it to stock i can use the f9 option right and it will be as the day i got the laptop?

hmscott
11-18-2014, 12:47 PM
but lets say if i want to just restore it to stock i can use the f9 option right and it will be as the day i got the laptop?

It's in there :)

"You can also use power off, power up, tap F9 - to get the recovery refresh/reset options to refresh Windows to defaults or reset to out of the box install - blowing away the current partitions on all drives in the laptop."

QC_AGENT
11-18-2014, 01:56 PM
Scott, I read you a lot on this forum and first, thanks four your clever advises. You are helping a lot here. Secondly, it caught my eyes that you are always refering to a flash drive when talking about creating a factory recovery disk. With my previous G73 and G75 I was using ASUS AI Recovery Utility by burning up to 5 DVDs.

I believe ASUS Backtracker is the replacement of the former AI Recovery? Can we get the recovery disk over a Blue-Ray disk by using Backtracker?

hmscott
11-18-2014, 02:00 PM
Scott, I read you a lot on this forum and first, thanks four your clever advises. You are helping a lot here. Secondly, it caught my eyes that you are always refering to a flash drive when talking about creating a factory recovery disk. With my previous G73 and G75 I was using ASUS AI Recovery Utility by burning up to 5 DVDs.

I believe ASUS Backtracker is the replacement of the former AI Recovery? Can we get the recovery disk over a Blue-Ray disk by using Backtracker?

QC_AGENT, unfortunately there is no way to create DVD/BD recovery disks. Only a backup onto a USB flash drive.

Asus Backtracker uses about 14GB for the backup, and only creates up to a 20GB partition no matter how large the flash drive is. That is why I suggest a 16GB. 32GB gives you a few more GB for additional backup, but only 20GB of the 32GB is available.

andreacos92
11-18-2014, 02:23 PM
If I use Backtracker to create the backup on the 16GB USB drive, then can I do what I want on the partitions and I can always restore it to stock?

Ask that because I read that the drives come split in two partitions, so the 256GB ssd comes with two partitions of 128GB each.
Can I delete one of the partition and extend the other to have only 1 partition of 256GB? And then I can always restore to stock?

Boaz Beatz
11-18-2014, 07:19 PM
If I use Backtracker to create the backup on the 16GB USB drive, then can I do what I want on the partitions and I can always restore it to stock?

Ask that because I read that the drives come split in two partitions, so the 256GB ssd comes with two partitions of 128GB each.
Can I delete one of the partition and extend the other to have only 1 partition of 256GB? And then I can always restore to stock?

would like to know that too

hmscott
11-18-2014, 07:54 PM

would like to know that too

andreacos92 / Boaz Beatz, answered in my post above, and the links included :)

Boaz Beatz
11-19-2014, 07:15 AM
you should post a more detailed guide on how to delete the disk so you get 256gb cus i did not get it myself

hmscott
11-19-2014, 08:44 AM
you should post a more detailed guide on how to delete the disk so you get 256gb cus i did not get it myself

Boaz Beatz, you don't think this post link that I included in the above post has enough detail to work it out on your own?

Anyone knows how to merge C & D disk/drive into one?
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?51245-Anyone-knows-how-to-merge-C-amp-D-disk-drive-into-one&p=433539&viewfull=1#post433539

Boaz Beatz
11-19-2014, 09:07 AM
to much work for me ill just let it be as is

Boaz Beatz
11-19-2014, 09:28 AM
well can what i have read the asus backup tool deletes the drives when it backs it up but im not sure about that, can you use the macrium reflect or what ever it was called to backup all the drivers and the restore partition? and then have a simple time to restore the backup or is it hard?

hmscott
11-19-2014, 10:44 AM
to much work for me ill just let it be as is
well can what i have read the asus backup tool deletes the drives when it backs it up but im not sure about that, can you use the macrium reflect or what ever it was called to backup all the drivers and the restore partition? and then have a simple time to restore the backup or is it hard?

Boaz Beatz, it may seem an overwhelming PIA at first, but if you take it a piece at a time, and work step by step in understanding - before doing - it isn't outside of your capability. It may take more than one sitting, but come back to it when you are ready to continue.

Consider it a game, puzzle, challenge to complete - with the bonus of having a backup and a new SSD with all of it's tiny space available in the one place you need it all - the C drive.

I know you can do it, so many have.

If you want to clone fist to SSD with Macrium, then put the HDD away and work/practice/test on the clones copy on the SSD. You can do the Asus Backtracter creation from the SSD clone too - before you delete and combine partitions.

Doing the cloning first will get you the SSD speed. If you need disk space, consider getting a better HDD to put in the 2nd Bay - and preserve the original install on the original HDD - you can get another of those low performing wonders for $50 :)

But, if you aren't feeling it, then play games on the HDD for now, and hit the System cloning later... don't want too long though - you don't want to lose the HDD through some mishap and not have a backup...

andreacos92
11-19-2014, 05:57 PM
Hi, hmscott.
Thanks for you replies, always exhaustive.

But, after reading here (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?53790-A-Simple-Question-Does-the-g751jy-have-a-backup-on-it&p=450942&viewfull=1#post450942) and here (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?51245-Anyone-knows-how-to-merge-C-amp-D-disk-drive-into-one&p=433539&viewfull=1#post433539), I still have some doubts (excuse me :) )

We have to do the backup on the USB flash drive first thing when I get the laptop.
You say "Before booting on the Asus Backtracker USB 3.0 16GB flash recovery drive, pull out any other internal drives - like the original boot drive - as the first thing the restore does is to re-partition all the drives it finds. If the restore fails - you would have blown away the original recovery partition and wouldn't be able to try to create another flash drive. RMA back to Asus."
This advice applies only when I want to test if the recovery USB drive works, or I have to pull out any internal drives also when I want to really restore my system?
How can the USB drive restore my system if I pull out all the internal drives? I'm missing something :rolleyes:

After backup, I can delete all the partitions on my SSD drive except C, and extend the C partition with the free space, as you indicate.
However, to delete the recovery partition, I find this (http://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1008647/), too.
Maybe Boaz Beatz can try this method, it seems easier.

The procedure of tapping F9 at boot will work only for restoring from the restore partition?
If I did the backup on the USB drive and deleted the partitions, and afterwards I want to restore my system, I have to just boot from the USB, right?

Sorry for all these questions, I just want to be sure I understand.
Thank you :o

hmscott
11-19-2014, 06:09 PM
Hi, hmscott.
Thanks for you replies, always exhaustive.

But, after reading here (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?53790-A-Simple-Question-Does-the-g751jy-have-a-backup-on-it&p=450942&viewfull=1#post450942) and here (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?51245-Anyone-knows-how-to-merge-C-amp-D-disk-drive-into-one&p=433539&viewfull=1#post433539), I still have some doubts (excuse me :) )

We have to do the backup on the USB flash drive first thing when I get the laptop.
You say "Before booting on the Asus Backtracker USB 3.0 16GB flash recovery drive, pull out any other internal drives - like the original boot drive - as the first thing the restore does is to re-partition all the drives it finds. If the restore fails - you would have blown away the original recovery partition and wouldn't be able to try to create another flash drive. RMA back to Asus."
This advice applies only when I want to test if the recovery USB drive works, or I have to pull out any internal drives also when I want to really restore my system?
How can the USB drive restore my system if I pull out all the internal drives? I'm missing something :rolleyes:

After backup, I can delete all the partitions on my SSD drive except C, and extend the C partition with the free space, as you indicate.
However, to delete the recovery partition, I find this (http://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1008647/), too.
Maybe Boaz Beatz can try this method, it seems easier.

The procedure of tapping F9 at boot will work only for restoring from the restore partition?
If I did the backup on the USB drive and deleted the partitions, and afterwards I want to restore my system, I have to just boot from the USB, right?

Sorry for all these questions, I just want to be sure I understand.
Thank you :o

andreacos92, details are important, but safety and common sense need to be in sync for things to work. :)

When you do a test restore, it is a real restore. There is no test button, it is restore only. So you need to remove the 2nd bay drive - the non boot drive before doing any restore - test or otherwise. As the restore will first find all internal drives, including the optical bay if you put one there, and erase and repartition them.

When doing a real or test restore, you need to pull out the 2nd bay non-boot drive or it will get erased.

That other method of deleting the recovery partition may or may not work, I haven't tried it. Once you see how to use diskpart as the examples show, you just repeat the command for each partition you are trying to delete, also shown. Boaz Beatz will need to delete the data partition that way as well, so we aren't helping him by introducing another method to delete 1 of the partitions.

If Boaz Beatz takes his time to read and get comfortable with it, I think he will do ok. Others that have started with his experience have done it. Sometimes I hear back after weeks and months, and when they are ready they do it. Usually it coincides with running out of disk space on the C drive :)

Need is the mother of all actions :)

Yes, once you delete the recovery partition F9 won't work. To boot on the USB drive, from Power off, press the Power On button and then tap the ESC key until you get the Boot menu the select the USB drive - you should see something that indicates the manufacturer name / size and then hit return while that item is selected to boot and restore.

The only part missing between posts is deleting the data partition, and that is easy. You don't even need diskpart for that. You can use the Windows Storage Manager, find the 2nd data partition on the boot drive, right click on it, and delete it - of course you need to back up the data on it before doing that :)

andreacos92
11-19-2014, 06:50 PM
andreacos92, details are important, but safety and common sense need to be in sync for things to work. :)

When you do a test restore, it is a real restore. There is no test button, it is restore only. So you need to remove the 2nd bay drive - the non boot drive before doing any restore - test or otherwise. As the restore will first find all internal drives, including the optical bay if you put one there, and erase and repartition them.

When doing a real or test restore, you need to pull out the 2nd bay non-boot drive or it will get erased.

That other method of deleting the recovery partition may or may not work, I haven't tried it. Once you see how to use diskpart as the examples show, you just repeat the command for each partition you are trying to delete, also shown. Boaz Beatz will need to delete the data partition that way as well, so we aren't helping him by introducing another method to delete 1 of the partitions.

If Boaz Beatz takes his time to read and get comfortable with it, I think he will do ok. Others that have started with his experience have done it. Sometimes I hear back after weeks and months, and when they are ready they do it. Usually it coincides with running out of disk space on the C drive :)

Need is the mother of all actions :)

Yes, once you delete the recovery partition F9 won't work. To boot on the USB drive, from Power off, press the Power On button and then tap the ESC key until you get the Boot menu the select the USB drive - you should see something that indicates the manufacturer name / size and then hit return while that item is selected to boot and restore.

The only part missing between posts is deleting the data partition, and that is easy. You don't even need diskpart for that. You can use the Windows Storage Manager, find the 2nd data partition on the boot drive, right click on it, and delete it - of course you need to back up the data on it before doing that :)

Thank you, the question about removing the drive was soooo stupid, I know ;)

Last question, then you'll get rid of me :D

Assuming that I buy a G751 with SSD + HDD, at first startup I do the backup on the USB drive.
To test if the backup works flawlessly, I thought at this way:
- Power off PC, remove the SSD and put the HDD from the 2nd bay to the 1st.
- Then I boot from USB drive and restore the whole system on the HHD.
- If it complete the restore, I remove the USB drive and try to power on and boot PC from the HDD (still in 1st bay)
- If the system will boot and always is ok, with all the original partition restored etc, that means the backup on USB drive will work if I need it in future.
- Now I can put back SSD in 1st bay and HDD in 2nd bay, power on the PC and format the HHD in 2nd bay to remove the restore previously created.
- Keep the USB drive in a safe place :o

If the restore on HDD will not work, I put back SSD in 1st bay and HDD in 2nd bay, format HHD and USB drive and retry to create the backup on the USB drive with Asus Backtracker, until it will work.

Is all right, or I'm missing something (again) ?
Thank you (again) :rolleyes:

hmscott
11-19-2014, 07:00 PM
Thank you, the question about removing the drive was soooo stupid, I know ;)

Last question, then you'll get rid of me :D

Assuming that I buy a G751 with SSD + HDD, at first startup I do the backup on the USB drive.
To test if the backup works flawlessly, I thought at this way:
- Power off PC, remove the SSD and put the HDD from the 2nd bay to the 1st.
- Then I boot from USB drive and restore the whole system on the HHD.
- If it complete the restore, I remove the USB drive and try to power on and boot PC from the HDD (still in 1st bay)
- If the system will boot and always is ok, with all the original partition restored etc, that means the backup on USB drive will work if I need it in future.
- Now I can put back SSD in 1st bay and HDD in 2nd bay, power on the PC and format the HHD in 2nd bay to remove the restore previously created.
- Keep the USB drive in a safe place :o

If the restore on HDD will not work, I put back SSD in 1st bay and HDD in 2nd bay, format HHD and USB drive and retry to create the backup on the USB drive with Asus Backtracker, until it will work.

Is all right, or I'm missing something (again) ?
Thank you (again) :rolleyes:

andreacos92, yes, given all the pieces on the table that is what you would do. And, it should work, except...

I add another piece, an external USB 3.0 enclosure.

You really don't want 2 bootable drives in the laptop internal bays at the same time. I would take the test restored HDD and put it in the USB 3.0 Enclosure, boot on the SSD then plug in the USB 3.0 enclosure with the HDD and erase it - reformat - however you want to clean it.

Yes you have understand the process :)

andreacos92
11-19-2014, 07:13 PM
andreacos92, yes, given all the pieces on the table that is what you would do. And, it should work, except...

I add another piece, an external USB 3.0 enclosure.

You really don't want 2 bootable drives in the laptop internal bays at the same time. I would take the test restored HDD and put it in the USB 3.0 Enclosure, boot on the SSD then plug in the USB 3.0 enclosure with the HDD and erase it - reformat - however you want to clean it.

Yes you have understand the process :)

Well, good advice about the external USB enclosure.
Now I've understood how BackTracker works, and finally you're free :)