PDA

View Full Version : G751 Loud GPU Fan (NOT under load)

mstack1
11-18-2014, 01:46 PM
Hi all,

I'd like to get some help diagnosing an issue with my G751--which has been awesome overall.

50% of the times I turn the laptop on, the GPU fan spins up as fast as it can and sounds like a chainsaw. This goes on for about 20 seconds.

Then, after starting a 3D game and waiting about a minute, it will do this again for about 10 seconds.

Then it never does it again!

It is completely unreleated to load/temps. In fact it only seems to happen when it isn't being stressed.

Under stress this thing runs very quietly, with more of that "whooshing" sound rather than the chainsaw sound. :) My temps are great, no stability problems even when overclocking.

So to sum up, this is really more of a nuisance noise and a mystery---and I hate unsolved mysteries. I had a desktop card that used to do something similar (a Radeon) but I never figured that one out either.

Any ideas?

Exostenza
11-18-2014, 01:57 PM
Update the BIOS as they have changed the thermal policy, enabled a new thermal temperature diode and updated the EC Bin which controls the electronics. That might deal with it and if not just return it and get another one because that is not normal behaviour.

mstack1
11-18-2014, 05:43 PM
Well, I actually had the 204 BIOS installed and it still does it. I just need to decide whether to bother returning it over this issue. After conducting more tests, I am not sure what the source of the sound is. I can't even make the fans go a fraction of that volume.

hmscott
11-18-2014, 07:09 PM
Well, I actually had the 204 BIOS installed and it still does it. I just need to decide whether to bother returning it over this issue. After conducting more tests, I am not sure what the source of the sound is. I can't even make the fans go a fraction of that volume.

mstack1, it's best to return it if you aren't happy with it now. It might get better over time, stop doing it, or it might get worse. There were g750's that exhibited this behavior and they returned theirs too.

You might contact the seller and explain the situation, and see if they can get a new replacement in stock for you right away.