PDA

View Full Version : How to repair ASUS Recovery?

Tindrael
11-18-2014, 06:32 PM
Hi!
My G751JY came with factory installed Windows 8.1, however I have installed Windows 7 to try that one out too.
Now I want to go back to the factory OS, however F9 button does not work anymore.
In Windows I can see the factory OS partition, it is there, undamaged, I was also able to extract the install.wim from it, however Windows does not see it as a recovery partition so if I try to make a recovery disk from a fresh install of Win 8.1, the copy recovery partition box is grayed out.

How can I "revive" the OEM reserved recovery partition and reinstall the Windows as it was out from the box?

Thanks for the help.

hmscott
11-18-2014, 07:01 PM
Hi!
My G751JY came with factory installed Windows 8.1, however I have installed Windows 7 to try that one out too.
Now I want to go back to the factory OS, however F9 button does not work anymore.
In Windows I can see the factory OS partition, it is there, undamaged, I was also able to extract the install.wim from it, however Windows does not see it as a recovery partition so if I try to make a recovery disk from a fresh install of Win 8.1, the copy recovery partition box is grayed out.
How can I "revive" the OEM reserved recovery partition and reinstall the Windows as it was out from the box?
Thanks for the help.

Tindrael, I haven't heard anyone successfully recovering from that kind of configuration. You didn't make an Asus Backtracker USB 3.0 16GB flash recovery drive when you first got the G751? That is what everyone should do as soon as they get it, and do a test restore to make sure it works before moving on to blowing away their original boot drive configuration.

The only solution I know of to get back the Asus OEM OS install is to RMA to Asus to have them reload it, or if you are within the return period to return it to the seller, but there might be a restocking fee.

If you want to spend a lot of time, and perhaps not be successful in the end, you could load Windows 8.1 onto a similarly partitioned drive, then with both drives in the laptop, boot on a Linux Live distro, and do a dd copy of the recovery partition to the new Windows 8.1 install recovery partition, then install the latest Asus Backtracker onto the new bootable Windows 8.1 drive with the recovery partition, and try to run Asus Backtracker and see if it will create a bootable recovery flash drive.

Good luck, lets us know how it works out :)

Tindrael
11-19-2014, 07:16 PM
Yea, took more time than I've expected, but was able to restore the factory OS.
I will try to restore the restore partition now.

Good thing I only heard about Asus Bactracker after the recovery got messed up ... Asus really needs to preinstall this.