PDA

View Full Version : g751 jt left usb problem

Carl Fredrik
11-19-2014, 03:16 PM
when i start up the laptop i will almoust everytime have to pull out my mice (katana) and put it back in to be found by the laptop.
Its working fine until i shut the laptop of and on again.

Im using win 8.1 and cant find any conflicts on my usb ports.

bookedirl
11-19-2014, 03:39 PM
Try Advanced Power Options > USB Settings > USB selective suspend setting and choose disabled. I believe I had this same issues and this solved it. Is it the left USB closest to the palm rest or screen?

Carl Fredrik
11-19-2014, 04:05 PM
I have that setting to disabled but it keeps happening, any other solution? Its the usb closest to screen that im having the problem wiht, the other one works fine

thx for reply

Nikola
12-14-2014, 08:05 PM
when i start up the laptop i will almoust everytime have to pull out my mice (katana) and put it back in to be found by the laptop.
Its working fine until i shut the laptop of and on again.

Im using win 8.1 and cant find any conflicts on my usb ports.

I have same problem , update bios 205 can't fix my problem " pull out my mice and put it back many times "

dao_s33k3r
01-20-2015, 02:33 PM
I have the same problem. Did you manage to get by this ?

BIOS: 205

dapogz
01-20-2015, 05:25 PM
Hello,

Please see my solution Click Here (https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?54313-G751-Imbalanced-Sound-Problem-OFFICIAL-SUPPORT-THREAD&p=465687&viewfull=1#post465687) Post #364, Hope this helps you

dao_s33k3r
01-20-2015, 10:15 PM
Hi dapogz , unfortunately id did not make a difference. If connect a HDD or memory stick to one of the two ports, it works as expected but when I insert another HDD or stick into the second port the speed drops or halts or even freezes my laptop. So adding more power drain to that PCIX lane kills it.

pokerface
01-21-2015, 12:22 AM
Hi dapogz , unfortunately id did not make a difference. If connect a HDD or memory stick to one of the two ports, it works as expected but when I insert another HDD or stick into the second port the speed drops or halts or even freezes my laptop. So adding more power drain to that PCIX lane kills it.

Welcome to the world of ASUS ;) USB 3.0 problems since the G75VW and still ongoing! their engineers cannot produce a quality laptop that just works, plain and simple

dapogz
01-21-2015, 06:29 AM

Hello,
Are you running on battery? sometimes when i connect my very old 80gb seagate on the USB on the left.(on battery) it slows or sometimes disconnects because the power on the left USB side cant support the hardrive needed power when on battery.. but when plug in it works fine.. :rolleyes: dont knoew the real problem but it makes me think that, the left USB is maybe short on voltage. because the right USB has a powerplug which outputs more voltage and still output current even on off (i can still charge my phone - using it as powerbank ;) )

dao_s33k3r
01-21-2015, 08:53 AM
@pokerface Well if this goes on since G75VW then it's a matter of stupidity in my opinion. It's one thing to discover the problem after launching and another to have the same problem to multiple generations and not fix it.
@dapogz They are new SATA 3 disks but the same thing happens no matter what I connect to those ports IE a laptop cooler and a memory stick or two memory sticks.

rogdood
02-21-2015, 07:23 PM
I have the same issue now with a keyboard. Keeps disconnecting and reconnecting mid-game.
I have however disabled the power management options for all hubs in the device manager... still nothing.

pokerface
02-21-2015, 08:47 PM
I have the same issue now with a keyboard. Keeps disconnecting and reconnecting mid-game.
I have however disabled the power management options for all hubs in the device manager... still nothing.
yeah that's why I returned mine, all the latest ASUS laptops from the G750JX onwards have an issue with the left USB ports. ASUS doesn't know how to produce a motherboard with all USB ports working fine.

Read my thread why I returned my G751JY:

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?58123-Returned-my-ASUS-G751JY

rogdood
02-21-2015, 10:28 PM
Yea, strange thing is, this issue manifested itself on the right side as well. And only with the keyboard, eveything else seems to run just fine. I have 2 external HHDs connected on the left side everyday, but I'm on a trip and I took only an external keyboard and mouse. Mouse is ok, keyboard disconnects randomly no matter what USB port it is connected into.

hmscott
02-21-2015, 10:30 PM

rogdood, the power management disable is only for disconnects with external disk enclosure controllers that don't play nice with Intel USB 3.0 power management. It won't help with keyboards/mice/etc.

If you have devices that are incompatible with the left side ports, use them on the right side. If you need more ports, use a powered Hub - on either side.

Asus might have used a different / additional controllers for USB 3.0 and/or included some USB 2.0 ports to be compatible with more USB devices, but went with all Intel HM87 fast USB 3.0 ports.

Asus isn't the only laptop with USB issues, it is a controller issue, Asus doesn't make the controllers - Intel makes the one used in the G750/G751.

There are Asus motherboards with multiple controllers - to avoid these incompatibilities, but Asus chose to use the newest /fastest interface to the CPU for the G750/G751. Unfortunately not all USB devices are compatible.

Why give up on a laptop because of USB incompatibilities? - get new USB devices, use the old ones on old computers.

If you must have the disk / data on the G571 - get a new USB 3.0 enclosure that is compatible and move the data/disk to it. That's what I did when USB 3.0 came out and there were so many incompatibilities then - this isn't a new issue :)

pokerface
02-21-2015, 11:09 PM
rogdood, the power management disable is only for disconnects with external disk enclosure controllers that don't play nice with Intel USB 3.0 power management. It won't help with keyboards/mice/etc.

If you have devices that are incompatible with the left side ports, use them on the right side. If you need more ports, use a powered Hub - on either side.

Asus might have included some USB 2.0 ports to be compatible with more USB devices, but went with all fast USB 3.0 ports.

Asus isn't the only laptop with USB issues, it is a controller issue, Asus doesn't make the controllers - Intel makes the one used in the G750/G751.

There are Asus motherboards with multiple controllers - to avoid these incompatibilities, but Asus chose to use the newest /fastest interface to the CPU for the G750/G751. Unfortunately not all USB devices are compatible.

Why give up on a laptop because of USB incompatibilities? - get new USB devices, use the old ones on old computers.

If you must have the disk / data on the G571 - get a new USB 3.0 enclosure that is compatible and move the data/disk to it. That's what I did when USB 3.0 came out and there were so many incompatibilities then - this isn't a new issue :)

hmscott, with all do respect, I do not agree.

If you are saying this is an Intel controller's fault and ASUS chose to use all USB 3.0 ports rather than keep 2 USB 2.0 devices for compatibility reasons.........then why is it that on my Alienware 18 which also has all USB 3.0 ports all USB devices work fine on all ports?

hmscott
02-21-2015, 11:11 PM
hmscott, with all do respect, I do not agree.
If you are saying this is an Intel controller's fault and ASUS chose to use all USB 3.0 ports rather than keep 2 USB 2.0 devices for compatibility reasons.........then why is it that on my Alienware 18 which also has all USB 3.0 ports all USB devices work fine on all ports?

What are the chipset(s) for your USB 3.0 controller(s) on your Alienware 18" laptop? If they are different than the ones used on the G750/G751, then the compatibility profile will be different.

If I got a new laptop, and a USB device(s) didn't work, I wouldn't get rid of the laptop, I would find compatible USB devices.

All of my USB devices work on my G750JH (and also worked on my JW/JX), the same USB controllers as the G751. So I know it can happen, I am using it every day.

I have a WD 2TB USB 3.0 drive connected on the left side, bus powered, along with a USB wireless dongle to support my wireless keyboard. On the right side I have a 1TB USB 3.0 and my phone/tablet sync port. No disconnects, and no transfer issues.

Updated for clarity:
"Asus might have used a different / additional controllers for USB 3.0 and/or included some USB 2.0 ports to be compatible with more USB devices, but went with all Intel HM87 fast USB 3.0 ports."

Different incompatibilities for different laptops. Migrate to what works on your laptop. Change is good :)

pokerface
02-22-2015, 02:13 AM
What are the chipset(s) for your USB 3.0 controller(s) on your Alienware 18" laptop? If they are different than the ones used on the G750/G751, then the compatibility profile will be different.

If I got a new laptop, and a USB device(s) didn't work, I wouldn't get rid of the laptop, I would find compatible USB devices.

All of my USB devices work on my G750JH (and also worked on my JW/JX), the same USB controllers as the G751. So I know it can happen, I am using it every day.

I have a WD 2TB USB 3.0 drive connected on the left side, bus powered, along with a USB wireless dongle to support my wireless keyboard. On the right side I have a 1TB USB 3.0 and my phone/tablet sync port. No disconnects, and no transfer issues.

Updated for clarity:
"Asus might have used a different / additional controllers for USB 3.0 and/or included some USB 2.0 ports to be compatible with more USB devices, but went with all Intel HM87 fast USB 3.0 ports."

Different incompatibilities for different laptops. Migrate to what works on your laptop. Change is good :)
all I know is my Alienware uses the HM87 chipset which is the same as the one in the G751JY

hmscott
02-22-2015, 04:24 AM
all I know is my Alienware uses the HM87 chipset which is the same as the one in the G751JY

pokerface, you can check using a hardware inventory program like hwinfo64, in the G750 it is a Lynx Point PCH USB 3.0 / USB 2.0 (not used) only

Many Alienware laptops have used the Renesas Electronics USB 3.0 Host Controller, like the M18x.

What shows up in hwinfo64 in your AW 18", only the Intel Lynx Point interface(s), or?