PDA

View Full Version : Issues with my G74SX

Panda
10-29-2011, 06:34 AM
While I'm on Skype and I so happen start up a game, alt+tab into the game, etc., my friends hear a bubbling, toilet flushing type sound from my mic.

Even after downloading the latest Bios 203 and ATK 1.0.0014, some specific keys (a, y, m, g) don't register sometimes.

I think my hard drive with all my data is making a constant fan-like sound, or it could be the GPU. I can hear the sound from my doorway which is about 10 feet from the laptop.

The palm rest of the G74SX also feels like there are gaps at the edges, when applied pressure.

- also, before updating some sentililic drive for the trackpad, I was able to scroll down pages by scrolling down on the right side of the trackpad, but now I can't. Can someone link me to the drivers.

The backlit keyboard is fine and all, except that the spacebar is either covering up the right side of the LED or the LED is broken.

BrodyBoy
10-29-2011, 07:25 AM
It's unlikely that the hard drive is making that much noise, and a GPU doesn't make noise at all. So if it's really so loud that you hear it across the room, it's probably the fan. Does it seem like something could be caught in it? Does it sound off-balance, like the blades could be rubbing against something? For troubleshooting a noise that isn't coming from the speakers, the fan should be the focus.

There is a slight gap between the top cover and the chassis along the front edge- that's part of the design.

For your touchpad, it sounds like you should probably just roll back to your previous driver if you liked that one better.

Antigen
10-29-2011, 11:36 AM
'While I'm on Skype and I so happen start up a game, alt+tab into the game, etc., my friends hear a bubbling, toilet flushing type sound from my mic.'

Are you sure they aren't messing around with you? Because that sure sounds like something I'd tell my friends.
In all seriousnes though, thats not a hardware issue for sure. Does it happen with every game you play or just the one?

JRd1st
10-29-2011, 12:03 PM
Did you try rolling back your sentelic driver? Which do you have now and what did you used to have?

Tell your friends that's a sound we're all familiar with at this forum, but figuratively.

Panda
10-29-2011, 05:23 PM
@Antigen, it's not a joke that they're playing on me. For games specifically like CounterStrike-Source and Starcraft 2, that noise is constantly going, but for other games it just happens once I start it up or alt tab into it.

Panda
10-29-2011, 05:23 PM
Tell your friends that's a sound we're all familiar with at this forum, but figuratively.

So other users know about this sound? Is there a fix?

JRd1st
10-29-2011, 05:29 PM
No, sorry. When I said "figuratively" I meant it as a joke referring to where our money went when we bought . . .

Does it only make that sound when you're on Skype? Are you on Wifi or LAN?

Panda
10-29-2011, 06:01 PM
I'm on Wifi. I don't hear that sound myself, but I'd assume it also goes to other chat features. Do you have a Skype? We can do a conversation there.

JRd1st
10-29-2011, 06:24 PM
First be sure you have an Atheros Wifi/BT card, and if you do go HERE (http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?5224-New-Drivers) and download the Atheros Wifi driver in this post.

Then uninstall your current wifi driver and install this one.

leslaron
11-03-2011, 12:14 AM
I'm having the exact same issue. Whenever I'm on Skype and tab into or open a game (specifically Dungeon Defenders, Starcraft II, and World of Warcraft), the people I'm chatting with report a weird interference sound that they describe as "a piece of paper flapping in a high wind near your microphone". Sounds similar enough to me that it must be the same issue. As soon as I tab out of the game it stops, and sound is perfect again.

Any help greatly appreciated.:confused:

JRd1st
11-03-2011, 12:17 AM
Do the same thing I told the other person to do in the thread just above yours.

leslaron
11-03-2011, 12:38 AM
My apologies, I updated the driver through the device manager, didn't realize this would be a different one. Will post an update once it's downloaded as to whether or not it works.

-------
Update: It works fine now, except for a bit of stutter when the game first loads. Many thanks for the assist :)

Panda
11-03-2011, 12:48 AM
leslaron, it's good to know someone else has the same issue! But at JRd1st, I updated those drivers and it didn't fix the issue.

JRd1st
11-03-2011, 12:55 AM
Did you read this - http://forum.skype.com/index.php?showtopic=56858 ?

dstrakele
11-03-2011, 01:15 AM
Are you using the built-in microphone? If you go into Realtek HD Audio Manager, select the microphone tab, and enable "Noise Suppression" and "Echo Cancellation", does it have any effect?

Have you tried a standing USB microphone or headphones with a mic?

Panda
11-03-2011, 01:26 AM
@drstrakele, I don't have an external mic, and I already have the noise compression and echo cancellation features on.
@JRd1st, one post on that forum says that the computer's processing isn't "quick", does that say that this G74SX is faulty?

dstrakele
11-03-2011, 01:47 AM
@drstrakele, I don't have an external mic, and I already have the noise compression and echo cancellation features on.
@JRd1st, one post on that forum says that the computer's processing isn't "quick", does that say that this G74SX is faulty?

I suspect it's more of an issue with application incompatibility or internet download/upload speed than your laptop hardware. Try disabling video in the conversation. Does the audio improve? If so, it could be more bandwidth is required for the conversation.

Are you running the latest Skype version?

What Antivirus software are you using? If you set the Antivirus Services to "disabled" and reboot (to unload the A/V kenel mode drivers) does it help?

Here is another thread with a similar issue: http://forum.skype.com/index.php?showtopic=97772 It is indicative of some sort of incompatibility between Skype (even the recent versions) and the referenced games.

Have you posted your issue on the Skype forum? They may have folks that are more familiar with your Skype issue. My intent here is not to push you away, because I find your issue interesting and very appropriate to be discussed on the ROG forum. I just believe the Skype folks may have more experience with this particular problem and be able to more quickly point you to a resolution. If they do, we'd certainly like to hear about it!

JRd1st
11-03-2011, 01:48 AM
No. I don't believe that. Anyway, my daughter has a slower PC than my G74 and she uses Skype and has no problem. I think it's because she uses a headphone. If you're hearing what I think you are, try using a headset. It only stands to reason that if you're listening to someone and your microphone picks that sound up and sends it back to them it's going to sound weird.

What did you expect the Skype guy to say: "Oh sure that's a common problem with using a program like ours. It's called feedback."

Panda
11-04-2011, 12:02 AM
The bottom half of the keyboard chassis seems to bend, and when i exert force on the left side of the palm rest, it pushes down noticeably at that spot. Isn't this laptop supposed to be sturdy?

Panda
11-04-2011, 12:07 AM
K, i just realized it's because of the rubber "peg?" isn't.. alligned.. anybody else have this problem?

JRd1st
11-04-2011, 12:14 AM
Where is this rubber peg?

BrodyBoy
11-04-2011, 02:40 AM
K, i just realized it's because of the rubber "peg?" isn't.. alligned.. anybody else have this problem?
Are we talking about a G74? There's no "rubber peg" along the front edge. There are, however, seven (yes, seven!) screws along that edge that secure the top cover to the chassis. If the top cover is properly seated and all those screws are snug, there cannot be any "give" or movement in the front edge of the top cover.

Any chance a foreign object....the rubber peg...got caught in there during assembly? Did you remove it?

leslaron
11-05-2011, 05:56 PM
Getting this back on topic, there still seem to be serious issues with the sound on my end, even after the driver update mentioned earlier in this thread.

It has nothing to do with the internet or the games mentioned, because everything worked absolutely fine on my older laptop, same programs running, same connection.

When I go into the Mumble audio configuration I can actually hear what it is everyone else hears, since they play back a preview of the sound quality. The microphone sounds as if there's a race car running its engine right next to it.

It could still be the driver, since updating it did help somewhat, giving me a mix of clear moments and times where people mute me on mumble/skype.

leslaron
11-05-2011, 06:14 PM
I uploaded a short clip on youtube which should give you an idea of what's going on. One of my friends has confirmed that this is the exact sound people get on the other end of Skype and Mumble.

(Keep in mind, there is NO outside interference. The room is entirely silent, except for the fan noise, which doesn't seem high enough to cause that)

Click Me! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNXXY4eJPS8)

-----------------------------------------------------------

Update: Apparently the first friend is full of bollocks. Everyone else is hearing something that is a far lower pitch, and far faster.

JRd1st
11-05-2011, 06:18 PM
I don't remember all your details. Do you use a headset? Have you tried turning the microphone sensitivity down?

I believe this is some kind of feedback.

That's the underwater sound someone else described. I think we found a solution on NBR(?) let me look.

JRd1st
11-05-2011, 06:30 PM
I don't remember where I read a solution, but read this one (http://forum.skype.com/index.php?showtopic=26025&view=findpost&p=120521). Also, PM dstrakele . I think he may know

leslaron
11-05-2011, 09:14 PM
I'm using a headset, so it's not direct feedback, and yes, I turned mic sensitivity down. Didn't help either :<

JRd1st
11-05-2011, 09:38 PM
Are you on wifi or LAN? Now that I think about it, that sounds like a too slow connection.

It sounds like Vonage would sound on a slow connection.

dstrakele
11-05-2011, 10:18 PM
It has nothing to do with the internet or the games mentioned, because everything worked absolutely fine on my older laptop, same programs running, same connection.

When I go into the Mumble audio configuration I can actually hear what it is everyone else hears, since they play back a preview of the sound quality. The microphone sounds as if there's a race car running its engine right next to it.

It could still be the driver, since updating it did help somewhat, giving me a mix of clear moments and times where people mute me on mumble/skype.

Since you report a mix of clear moments and bad quality audio, I would recommend using DPC Latency Checker to see if other drivers (besides the Atheros driver you updated that somewhat improved your audio) also are causing DPC Latency on your laptop.

leslaron
11-05-2011, 10:57 PM
Are you on wifi or LAN? Now that I think about it, that sounds like a too slow connection.

It sounds like Vonage would sound on a slow connection.

wifi, but as I mentioned, it's the exact same setup as on my old laptop. There should be no connectivity issues.

leslaron
11-05-2011, 11:00 PM
Since you report a mix of clear moments and bad quality audio, I would recommend using DPC Latency Checker to see it other drivers (besides the Atheros driver you updated that somewhat improved your audio) also are causing DPC Latency on your laptop.

Test Interval: 1000microseconds
current latency: 329 microseconds
absolute: 888 microseconds

"This machine should be able to handle real-time streaming of audio and/or video data without drop-outs."

For the most part, the problem only really becomes noticeable for others when I'm on a loading screen for whatever game. Most of the time they report it as just vague background noise.

JRd1st
11-05-2011, 11:01 PM
Maybe, but the WiFi card is awful. You can try updating the drivers ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/nb/Drivers/WLAN/WLAN_Atheros_Win7_64_Z921459.zip or you can buy an Intel 6230 with wifi that's twice as fast and Bluetooth, for around $35

dstrakele
11-05-2011, 11:37 PM
For the most part, the problem only really becomes noticeable for others when I'm on a loading screen for whatever game. Most of the time they report it as just vague background noise.

When you were checking DPC Latency, did you load and run the game that causes the issue?

When a program is loading in the foreground, it receives top priority CPU processing. Take a look at http://techblissonline.com/run-program-process-cpu-priority-windows-vista-xp/ and increase the CPU processing priority of the Skype process(es) to see if it improves your audio quality.

I know you didn't have to do that on your old laptop. However, we don't know all the differences between it and your present system that may affect this issue.

One more thing - if you kill the Skype video, does that improve the audio quality for the folks you're talking to?

dstrakele
11-06-2011, 12:20 AM
wifi, but as I mentioned, it's the exact same setup as on my old laptop. There should be no connectivity issues.

Connectivity can change constantly, both on your end and on the end of the folks you're talking to.

leslaron
11-06-2011, 12:20 AM
I just tried the DPC Latency while loading the game. While the average does increase a bit, it stabilizes around 500 and there doesn't seem to be any noticeable spikes.

Increasing priority for Skype did nothing.

We're not using the video function at all, so that's not a factor. This issue occurs in the Mumble chat client as well.

My wifi card card is an Atheros AR9002WB-1NG Wireless Network Adapter, if that means anything to you guys.

Connectivity can change constantly, both on your end and on the end of the folks you're talking to.

I've never experienced this problem before, and we've had this net here for the last 3 years. I tested my old laptop and the sound is fine on that. Whatever it is, it's happening in the G74

Cheers for the quick replies, hope you can help me get this sorted :)

dstrakele
11-06-2011, 12:24 AM
What do the folks on the Skype (or Mumble) forum have to say? As I referenced in an earlier post, http://forum.skype.com/index.php?showtopic=97772 indicates there may be incompatiblities with recent versions of Skype and some games that affect connectivity.

Since you still have your old laptop, I suggest you look further into differences between it and your G74SX. Do they have the same download/upload speeds? If not, I'd be tempted to open the G74SX and confirm both Wireless Adapter antennas are securely connected.

To test download/upload speeds, go to http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest?flash=1 and select the same server for both systems.

leslaron
11-06-2011, 12:54 AM
Here, I managed to catch a perfect clip of it using the Skype echo test system.

Clicky! (http://youtu.be/FyYmVrZBMws)

Note how the sound is actually recorded straight into the video before it gets played back by the echo system a few seconds later. Using the same video capture program (Livestream Procaster), I started Starcraft II again and got the same result without Skype or Mumble running. Pretty much eliminates them from the equation as far as I can tell.

This isn't something I actually hear myself though. It's only when I got that clip that I knew exactly what it sounded like. Problem must be in mic-in.

dstrakele
11-06-2011, 01:07 AM
Does it also occur in Sound Recorder? If not, it is a transmission problem.

EDIT - Sorry, I see you've already done something similar with LiveStream Procaster.

If you go into Control Panel - Manage audio devices - Select the Recording tab - Select Microphone - and click on Properties button, how are the Listen, Enhancements, and Advanced tabs configured? Posting screenshots of these tabs would be very helpful...

leslaron
11-06-2011, 01:10 AM
Yes, it definitely happens in Sound Recorder as well.

dstrakele
11-06-2011, 01:26 AM
I couldn't get my previous post edit done in time....

If you go into Control Panel - Manage audio devices - Select the Recording tab - Select Microphone - and click on Properties button, how are the Listen, Enhancements, and Advanced tabs configured? Posting screenshots of these tabs would be very helpful...

leslaron
11-06-2011, 01:34 AM
http://imgur.com/a/zvu5K

Should be what you're looking for.

dstrakele
11-06-2011, 01:57 AM
You sent the Properties of the built-in microphone. I thought you were using the headset (that is unplugged in the images). Does this issue occur with both the built-in mic and headset mic?

I notice the built-in mic is configured in the Advanced tab for CD format. If you change this to DVD format, does it make any difference in the recorded audio quality while the game is loading?

leslaron
11-06-2011, 02:15 AM
I'm using a headset for sound, but the mic on it has been broken for ages.

BrodyBoy
11-06-2011, 02:57 AM
Perhaps the headset mic isn't disabled? And the G74 is trying to use it?

dstrakele
11-06-2011, 03:00 AM
I have my built-in mic set to "DVD Quality". I made a Sound Recorder recording as I opened a resource intensive application. I received a warning from that application that there were performance issues, but it eventually opened successfully. The sound recording was clear thoughout, however. I then reduced my mic sampling rate to "CD Quality" and made another recording while opening the app. It was also clear, but my application launched much quicker without error.

So in my case, the application launch is being delayed by the sound recording, so that recording quality is not compromised.

I am starting to suspect you may have a hardware problem with your built-in microphone, since you report there is a constant background noise that is exacerbated by opening a game while making a sound recording.

Can you completely remove the headset, so that only the built-in microphone is displayedi in the Recording tab, and reproduce the poor quality audio in a Sound Recorder recording?

dstrakele
11-06-2011, 03:00 AM
Perhaps the headset mic isn't disabled? And the G74 is trying to use it?

No, the Recording tab he posted shows it is not plugged in.

leslaron
11-06-2011, 07:20 AM
I have my built-in mic set to "DVD Quality". I made a Sound Recorder recording as I opened a resource intensive application. I received a warning from that application that there were performance issues, but it eventually opened successfully. The sound recording was clear thoughout, however. I then reduced my mic sampling rate to "CD Quality" and made another recording while opening the app. It was also clear, but my application launched much quicker without error.

So in my case, the application launch is being delayed by the sound recording, so that recording quality is not compromised.

I am starting to suspect you may have a hardware problem with your built-in microphone, since you report there is a constant background noise that is exacerbated by opening a game while making a sound recording.

Can you completely remove the headset, so that only the built-in microphone is displayedi in the Recording tab, and reproduce the poor quality audio in a Sound Recorder recording?

I tried both reducing and increasing the sound quality, but it didn't make any difference. Removing the headset entirely didn't help either. That weird moment of static is repeated every time, at about the same time in the game load. It's not just SC2 though, same thing is happening with all other games that I tried.

I wouldn't exactly call it background noise, that implies an outside source. The room is absolutely silent except for the laptop fans when I run the tests, and those are barely audible anyways.

JRd1st
11-06-2011, 10:32 AM
Is there any possible way you can just try a direct internet connection instead of wifi?

dstrakele
11-06-2011, 05:07 PM
My reproduction attempt of your issue wasn't a good one, since I wasn't launching any of the games you mentioned. Perhaps someone else could jump in with the results of a more accurate repro...

leslaron
11-06-2011, 10:24 PM
Is there any possible way you can just try a direct internet connection instead of wifi?

It can't be the internet connection since the glitch is being picked up on the windows Sound Recorder. :<

JRd1st
11-06-2011, 10:28 PM
So that means you can't try it anyway?

leslaron
11-07-2011, 12:50 AM
Took a while to find the cable but I tested it. There's no improvement unfortunately.

JRd1st
11-07-2011, 01:09 AM
And you're sure it was using the lan and not the wifi, right? If so, then I give up. Sorry, but I don't use Skype. Maybe One of the Asus moderators can help. Chastity@ASUS is really great at this, but she's mostly off the forums until she's done with her Customer Care Training, I think.

Good luck.

leslaron
11-07-2011, 06:15 AM
Well thank you for trying to help anyways, guess I just have to hope it's a simple driver update or something I'm missing.

For the record though, it isn't limited to skype. Anything that records the mic causes the same issue. Ah well.

dstrakele
11-07-2011, 04:14 PM
JR just posted a new Realtek beta driver: http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?5224-New-Drivers&p=38072&viewfull=1#post38072 Don't know if that will help your microphone audio quality issue or not.

I'd be interested to see a list of what you, Panda, and the other person reporting this issue have installed on your notebooks to look for a common app that may be causing some type of incompatibility issue. Otherwise, I'd be suspicious this is a hardware issue. Testing with another microphone and Sound Recorder would be one way to test that. If the new microphone doesn't exhibit the problem, it would be more likely the built-in mic is faulty.

leslaron
11-08-2011, 12:37 AM
I'll give the beta drivers a test. As for apps installed...not really that much since the laptop is only a week old. Off the top of my head though....

Steam
World of Warcraft
Starcraft II
Dungeon Defenders
RAGE
Mumble
Google Chrome
Avast! Antivirus
Pidgin Messenger
VLC Media Player
Livestream Procaster
Picasa
OpenOffice

Maybe a few more, but that's all I've installed since I got the laptop that I can remember right now.

----------------------

New driver version didn't help. As a sidenote, if it was a hardware issue wouldn't it be constant? The way it is now it only really shows up when any program or game is being loaded, as per the video I posted earlier in this thread.

380mcn
11-08-2011, 11:35 AM
i have realtek 2.66 installed and no issues with the mic. never had it.. so.. i think you should exchange for another g74 (less than 15 or 30 or 45 days) dependes where you bought it, or have ir RMA'd..

JRd1st
11-08-2011, 11:58 AM
i have realtek 2.66 installed and no issues with the mic. never had it.. so.. i think you should exchange for another g74 (less than 15 or 30 or 45 days) dependes where you bought it, or have ir RMA'd..

... and I'm sure it will come back with the same problem if RMA'd. This is a common thing with Skype if you google it. There's a setting someplace or something not hardware that hasn't dawned on us yet.

leslaron
11-09-2011, 02:40 AM
... and I'm sure it will come back with the same problem if RMA'd. This is a common thing with Skype if you google it. There's a setting someplace or something not hardware that hasn't dawned on us yet.

You're missing the point, it's not a Skype-only issue. It's happening with any program that records from the mic.

Update though, i bought a cheap external mic for $5 and all the static is eliminated when using it, which points to a hardware issue as far as I can tell.

JRd1st
11-09-2011, 02:51 AM
OK, then contact Asus for an RMA.

I'm not missing the point I'm just getting yours and Panda's problem mixed up. You have static. Sounds like a problem, send it in for repair, but include a note telling the techs exactly how to reproduce the problem.

Chastity@ASUS
11-18-2011, 09:50 PM
It's more likely a driver issue.

Try this driver vs Realtek's release:

ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/nb/Drivers/Audio/Audio_Realtek_SM_Win7_64_Z6016473.zip

What is happening is that the two apps are streaming over DirectSound different audio formats (bitrate and sampling rate) the audio glitch is the 2 streams getting resampled and sync'd.

Yes, annoying, but Welcome to Windows! You can also try setting the default samplerate setting for shared streams in the settings for Speakers to something like 16/48 or 24/96. Experiment to see what helps.