PDA

View Full Version : G751 bad "IPS glow" from screen... anyone else noticed it?

Richdog
11-22-2014, 05:13 PM
I have noticed that I have really bad "IPS glow" on my screen (LP173WF4-SPD1). That means that on dark colours or scenes, it has a luminous glow that makes the blacks look grey, almost like a TN panel., and destoys any detail meaning I can barely see anything! It is very distracting in games with dark scenes and is really annoying me now. It is noticeably worse than my old laptop that also has an LG IPS panel (LP156WF5-SPB1).

Has anyone else noticed this with theirs? :confused:

Sagi
11-22-2014, 09:21 PM
I have the same issue with my screen - It's only in the left side of it, but it's still annoying to look at.

This is also one of the reason I'm doing RMA this week.

Richdog
11-23-2014, 10:10 AM
Thanks Sagi. Anyone else?

Of all the problems I have hadso far this one is the deal-breaker... will be contacting ASUS support and the retailer tomorrow to ask what we can do about it. If I got another one exactly the same I could not live with it. The glow effect so strong that it destroys all blacks. Very dissappointing.

Carl Fredrik
11-23-2014, 10:12 AM
My sreen on my 751jt looks fine and black is realy black like i should on an ips screen. You could try lovering the gama , if you not using the preset modes by asus, game, theater and so on. Go to nvidia settings an choose nvidia, then you can put lower gama.

Sagi. It looks like you got a faulty display.

Richdog
11-23-2014, 12:01 PM
My sreen on my 751jt looks fine and black is realy black like i should on an ips screen. You could try lovering the gama , if you not using the preset modes by asus, game, theater and so on. Go to nvidia settings an choose nvidia, then you can put lower gama.

Already tried that, doesnt make things better. Black detail is still completely crushed and awful. :(

Carl Fredrik
11-23-2014, 02:03 PM
Was it like that from start? Maybe you could try a earlier graphic driver. I know there is some problems with the latest nvidia drivers and the 900 series

guvadc
11-23-2014, 02:43 PM
Isn't this typical of all IPS screens? A year ago I purchased 2 different IPS 27 inch monitors , and AOC and then ASUS. I ended up returning both and settled on a Samsung SPVA panel that had deeper more uniform blacks.

My G751JM isn't particularly bad in this regard, but it does have a minor glow. It is also the more reflective touch screen which could possibly hide more severe aspects of it.

Richdog
11-23-2014, 04:31 PM
Isn't this typical of all IPS screens? A year ago I purchased 2 different IPS 27 inch monitors , and AOC and then ASUS. I ended up returning both and settled on a Samsung SPVA panel that had deeper more uniform blacks.

My G751JM isn't particularly bad in this regard, but it does have a minor glow. It is also the more reflective touch screen which could possibly hide more severe aspects of it.

As per the first post, it is noticeably worse than my previous IPS screen, which I also have on the desk next to me.

guvadc
11-23-2014, 09:33 PM
As per the first post, it is noticeably worse than my previous IPS screen, which I also have on the desk next to me.

Is it the whole screen or just part of the screen? In my experience this tends to get worse progressively as you go up in screen sizes. Although going from a 15 to a 17 shouldn't be that big of jump to make it noticeably worse... I wouldn't think.

Richdog
11-24-2014, 07:34 AM
Is it the whole screen or just part of the screen? In my experience this tends to get worse progressively as you go up in screen sizes. Although going from a 15 to a 17 shouldn't be that big of jump to make it noticeably worse... I wouldn't think.

It is very even, so not a sign of traditional corner bleeding etc. Maybe it's just a characteristic of this particulal screen... but it is VERY distracting and certainly worse than my 15"! Maybe the increase in size does worsen it, but I wouldn't have though to this extent... sigh.

Richdog
11-26-2014, 03:38 PM
Anyone else noticing this?

KoolASUS
11-29-2014, 11:21 AM
Could you post, NOT a screenshot, but a photo of the screen and tell us what we should be looking for ?
It's possible many users have this but only very few notice it actually. Asus G751 isn't for sale in France yet so I couldn't tell. (but the G750JZ price has dropped 30%)

I also thought that IPS are good for graphists, but not always for gamers.

Evil Hotdog
11-29-2014, 03:18 PM
I'm having the same issue. Its only on the sides of the screen tough, like there's too much presure on those parts, because when i put pressure on the sides myself i produces the same kind of glow/light effect. Mostly noticable with a black background. I'm thinking to do an RMA, but heard stories it won't resolve anything... What should I do?

Sagi
11-30-2014, 09:58 PM
I've sent mine back for RMA because of this + a few other things.

I'll let you know once I get it back.

d0r1n
11-30-2014, 10:10 PM
i had a glow in the left hinge area,i send it back and after 24h i got the secont one that is good.

the thing about this model is that it glows if u push it to hard on the display,but with no touch and no flex it should not glow.
evil hotdog i had exact the same problem,it will replace if u send it,u should send it back,it's your money

Sagi
11-30-2014, 10:48 PM
I had to use the RMA.. It's bought through the company I work at.

So I don't have the same return policy as a normal consumer :rolleyes: Oh well, like you said.. It shouldn't be there at all.

bookedirl
12-10-2014, 01:22 PM
Please tell me this is not normal? Never owned an IPS display but this is what my replacement JT looks like while viewing a black background.

(I know its upside down)

Volador
12-10-2014, 04:53 PM
Attached is a screenshot of my jy-model screen. Taken in complete dark room with samsung galaxy s5 standard settings.

Edit. Except its not working with ipad. And not on computer too...it uploads the file but it does not appear on the page44072

Edit 2. the pic was too large.

romantico3pe
12-10-2014, 05:04 PM
Attached is a screenshot of my jy-model screen. Taken in complete dark room with samsung galaxy s5 standard settings.

Edit. Except its not working with ipad. And not on computer too...it uploads the file but it does not appear on the page44072

Edit 2. the pic was too large.

That aint glow, thats clearly screen bleed, deffective!!

Volador
12-10-2014, 05:06 PM
Well im still waiting for Asus support persons reply on my issues with this computer. I asked them that what do they think of the screen, they have not replied to me. Ive sent a few pictures of the screen to them.

Volador
12-10-2014, 05:08 PM
Can you post a shot from your screen?

Volador
12-10-2014, 05:21 PM

That's my screen when playing Thief. Taken with the same samsung, in dark room with default settings...

Darnassus
12-10-2014, 05:44 PM
Holy hellfire, that looks simply terrible.

Volador
12-10-2014, 05:59 PM
Really? Its my first ips screen so i thought they all look like that. Its been almost a week and still not getting an proper answer from asus. It takes 1-2 days and always a different persons messages me an short message. Last one was about my keyboard issue and they stated that do a complete reinatall of the os even tho i had written ive allready done that. Maybe they dont read the mails that accuratly.

romantico3pe
12-10-2014, 06:10 PM
Really? Its my first ips screen so i thought they all look like that. Its been almost a week and still not getting an proper answer from asus. It takes 1-2 days and always a different persons messages me an short message. Last one was about my keyboard issue and they stated that do a complete reinatall of the os even tho i had written ive allready done that. Maybe they dont read the mails that accuratly.

Bro just return that laptop thats really deffective, unless you dont mind that bleed, get you money back or ask for a replacement, dont send it to asus for repair, a new laptop should be perfect

Volador
12-10-2014, 06:22 PM
I just tested again, the camera makes the problem look worse than it is (because camera takes more light in). You can definetly see a blue hue when going to dark scenes in game.

Romantico i cant get my money back thanks to Finnish consumer laws. You have 14 days return period where you can take the item out of the box and look at it. If you start to "use" the item the return perioid end immediately. So.. basically you cant try electronics. After you boot up the computer the shops can say that you have accepted the item and.. if they are willing they can change it if the item is defective or they can send it for repairs. Most of the shops send the items for repair.

Can someone else post a screenshot of their G751 screen? Im guessing that this blue hue that is on the edges of the screen is ips glow. Its shifts if i move my head and it seems that in a straight line to my head is the most black image, on the sides the image has a blue hue. For a naked eye the backlighting looks pretty even.

Btw does anyone know about asus pixel guarantee with ROG series gaming laptops? I have one stuck pixel, tried jscreen but it did not help.

romantico3pe
12-10-2014, 06:40 PM
I just tested again, the camera makes the problem look worse than it is (because camera takes more light in). You can definetly see a blue hue when going to dark scenes in game.

Romantico i cant get my money back thanks to Finnish consumer laws. You have 14 days return period where you can take the item out of the box and look at it. If you start to "use" the item the return perioid end immediately. So.. basically you cant try electronics. After you boot up the computer the shops can say that you have accepted the item and.. if they are willing they can change it if the item is defective or they can send it for repairs. Most of the shops send the items for repair.

Can someone else post a screenshot of their G751 screen? Im guessing that this blue hue that is on the edges of the screen is ips glow. Its shifts if i move my head and it seems that in a straight line to my head is the most black image, on the sides the image has a blue hue. For a naked eye the backlighting looks pretty even.

Btw does anyone know about asus pixel guarantee with ROG series gaming laptops? I have one stuck pixel, tried jscreen but it did not help.

Sorry to hear you cannot return it, well the first one i got had the same problem as yours, the second or replacement didnt have any bleed, but had image retention, here is a link to the thread i created about before http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?54444-g751jt-backlight-bleed

Evil Hotdog
01-20-2015, 06:36 PM
HI, just wanted to tell that no screen from this line probably will be perfect (got 751JY). I just got my third replacement, the first one had bleed and some vent problems, the second one had it (there was also hair under the screen there...seriously? hair? you got to be kidding me Asus) and this one has it too plus some minor image retenion in the left down corner. I give up returning them and just live with it and maybe someday replace the screen somewhere else. The laptop is awesome but i guess they had to take a cheap screen to lower the costs.

KoolASUS
01-20-2015, 07:50 PM
just to tell you, in France the return period is EIGHT days and ONLY if bought via Internet (not in a brick & mortar store).... in the USA you are much more lucky concerning the "RMA" thing ....

BLoOdRAiN
01-21-2015, 09:37 AM
here is a few pic's of mine not sure if its good don't no much about ips its a G751JT at about 50% brightness 45732457334573445735

MPayne
02-02-2015, 12:30 AM
Hi,

Got my G751-7037h a few weeks ago. Nice machine, all good, except for that screen. Now I am planning to change it. But: In the store they told me there's a new model coming out. That means: exact the same specs, but another number. It will be 7036 in stead of 7037. Beats me.
Screenshots of the recent model(taken with Samsung Note 4):

I tell you: it's annoying!

arc08
02-02-2015, 07:21 PM
Hi,

Got my G751-7037h a few weeks ago. Nice machine, all good, except for that screen. Now I am planning to change it. But: In the store they told me there's a new model coming out. That means: exact the same specs, but another number. It will be 7036 in stead of 7037. Beats me.
Screenshots of the recent model(taken with Samsung Note 4):

I tell you: it's annoying!

I have the same one as yours, exact location as well lol. Not as bright tho. Hoping it doesnt get worse as I dont want to send it for repair.

MPayne
02-03-2015, 09:28 AM
I went to the store yesterday with the ROG(G751-7037h) I showeed them before, they told me first they didnt see anything. This time I show them the pics I made. Now I have a promise on paper that, when the new model is out, I can change it for free.... Name of the new model is ASUS ROG G751JY-T7136H btw....Same specs, dunno what the changes are. It is the same on the outside, specs seem the same... Keep you guys posted!

Hebrew
02-03-2015, 05:16 PM
I must've gotten lucky. I don't see this problem at all. My screen looks good. So ymmv.

kevtapia
02-04-2015, 07:10 AM
Hey guys, I just received my G751JY series and I noticed that whenever the screen is black (booting up, restarting and when screen is black) a greenish yellowish color is shown on the bottom left hand corner. I figured this is exactly what you guys are talking about here but I just wanted to make sure. So this isn't normal at all correct? Because if it isn't I might as well return it immediately.
I've attached pictures and the greenish light is seen both with light in the room and when its dark.
Please advise!

Cheers,

Kevin

arc08
02-04-2015, 08:51 AM
If you can still return it to the store, keep exchanging it till you get a good one.

MPayne
02-04-2015, 09:59 PM
Weird...Just day after the storeguy told me I was in for a new laptop(even new type) the type was on their website also...NOw I looked yesterday and today...ALL ROG laptops are vanished from their site... Gues I am gonna be calling again....

arc08
02-05-2015, 03:41 PM
Have decided to send mine for repair. The glow is really annoying especially the one on the bottom left. Anyone knows the average time it takes for Asus to repair and send the laptop back?

MPayne
02-06-2015, 02:29 PM
I looked today...the Asus ROG G751-7136h is on their website again... Now waiting for them to call me... I noticed one small difference though. There's, instead of a blue ray, a dvd player... Same selling price though...

kobejumpin
02-09-2015, 07:47 PM
Hi Everyone,

Could this be because the clip (for one side bleed) or clips (for both sides bleeding) is too tight? - I am just assuming that the rubber-looking things below the left and right sides of the IPS panel are indeed clips.

Mine has minor bleeds too (since turning it on when I got it back in December) on exactly the same areas, both left and right side, same as MPayne's on black displays like the start up and playing some games which are dark like running the P.I.P. Boy on Fallout 3.

Has anyone tried removing the IPS panel and re-inserting it again on the laptop and see if it would work? Just a suggestion ~~ Cause I don't want to risk doing it. ;)

Thanks

Evil Hotdog
02-10-2015, 04:09 PM
I removed the bezel from my screen and checked if the bleeding was still there. It was still there, the clips dont have an impact on the screen bleeding, but they do have a bit of an impact on the screen glowing.

aupoi351
02-10-2015, 04:13 PM
Did you succeed to remove it completely?
Because when I tried I didn't succeed to remove the clips on the bottom left and right corners.

kobejumpin
02-10-2015, 05:07 PM
Evil Hotdog / aupoi351,

Interested too on how to remove the rubber clips or loosen them if they would remove the glows on mine.

Apologies... bleed <> glow. I can classify mine as having glows on both bottom sides.

Thanks in advance.

Mailomator
02-12-2015, 09:02 AM
Hello , i just want to hear if the person who started this thread got a new unit back from RMA, i have this problem with my new G751JY and wonder if its gonna help to ask for a swap og repair ?

arc08
02-12-2015, 05:19 PM
If you're still within the return period from your retailer, you can return it to them and ask for a replacement. If outside the return period, you can only RMA it i think. Asus will not send you a replacement unless they can't fix the problem. Already sent mine in. Just waiting for updates.

Evil Hotdog
02-14-2015, 08:30 PM
Hi again,

I did not succeed in removing the bottom part of the bezel, but i had bleeding on the sides and top too which did not
dissapear when removing it. The glowing i noticed at the bottom corners, this got worse when i tried to loosen the bezel, so i think the better the bezel is pushed
Against the screen (like it normally should) the lesser you notice the glowing. I think i accidentaly may have damaged one of the clips on the left side, so the bezel is
looser now and the glowing is more noticable on that side now (put some tape there to fix it :p looks kinda stupid tho)

Anyway, i sent mine in for RMA to holland this week, since this is already the third replacement with the same screen issues. I will let you guys now when i get it back.

mtudor
02-19-2015, 09:50 AM
Hi all,

I had four laptops (G751JY-T7009H) exhibiting the same problem to a more or lesser degree from Amazon (all badged with a manufacture date of 10-14) and then a further one from SaveOnLaptops (same model, dated 11-14). It's a real shame, but it seems like it's a quality control issue across these panels. The one I have now is definitely the best of the lot, so now I have the difficult decision of whether to keep the slightly defective screen or gamble on a new one / Asus RMA. This is definitely backlight bleed rather than IPS glow (uneven green hue / pinch points rather than even across the screen whiteish glow) When I called Asus support, they claim to have no knowledge of a screen issue along these lines, which doesn't fill me with confidence in their ability to fix it. The risk, obviously, is getting the laptop back worse than when it went in!

I do notice that there is now another model, G751JY-T7117H being stocked at the retailer. It looks identical, spec-wise. I'm wondering whether the issue might be fixed in that one. Any of you guys experiencing this - do any of you have the G751JY-T7117H?

t3nch0
02-19-2015, 12:21 PM
After reading this thread I was scared when I ordered my G751JT, because I am super anal about stuff like this. I got mine from Newegg and was pleasantly surprised to receive one with 0 light bleed. I don't know if Newegg has a good batch or if i just got super lucky.

BigDRim
02-19-2015, 12:25 PM
You are "anal"?
Seriously, often you don't notice bleeding in normal conditions. Put max luminosity in dark, take a picture and look at it: you will probably see some bleeding.

Evil Hotdog
02-19-2015, 08:57 PM
So i got my laptop (G751JY) back from RMA (Holland) today, light bleeding is still there, its different but still there. Sigh. Image retention is gone, thats a good thing i guess. I also dont get why I have to package my laptop so carefully in an extra box when Asus themselves dont give a ****, i got my "repaired" laptop back in the original packaging, which was dirty of mud. Seriously not pleased by that, Asus keep your **** togheter and be consistent in your doings.

My vendor told me I was the only one with these problems, which i really doubt, since this is my third replacement already. Maybe other people won't notice that fast? I have to say that i'm really paying attention to it now, thats probably why I notice it harder.

Anybody of you think a second RMA will be usefull?

Evil Hotdog
02-20-2015, 09:30 AM
Ok I've done some more tests.
If the screen has bleeding, the bezel can make it worse, in contradiction to what is said earlier.
So the mediocre screen quality is because of the bezel (which causes glow and bleeding to become more or less visible) and the use of cheap screens (i did some research and found out they cost about 60 dollar).
I can't be sure now if putting a 100 procent good screen in the laptop will solve it, since the bezel might distort the lighting.

If anyone with a prefect screen could post a picture, at least then we now its possible (preferably from a g751 model that came out before november), because I'm seriously starting to doubt if anyone has a good screen.

Its a bit dumb to have awesome laptop with a poor screen, with every dark game or movie i can notice the glowing and bleeding.