PDA

View Full Version : Asus G73SW sound freezing problem

Kizlyk
10-29-2011, 10:10 AM
Hello,

I have this problem with my new notebook - sometimes the audio freezes and repeats the last sound in a loop, when it happens computer is not responsive at all, it looks and sounds very similar to this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_PiFTdqylw

It happens very randomly when I play games or watch videos, sometimes several times a day, and on some days it doesn't happen at all.

At first I thought that only hard reboot is needed in this situation, but then I found out that if I leave it for a minute or two everything returns back to normal.

I have already tried to uninstall creaive software, realtek drivers and power4gear hybrid utility. I also updated nvidia and realtec drivers to latest versions, but nothing helped so far.

If you know anything that might help to fix this, please let me know. Thanks for your help!

fuzon1337
10-29-2011, 10:51 AM
Hi

That link you sent, looks like his screen was frozen... most likely because of heat problems.

But your screen doesn't freeze or anything, it's just the audio it's happening with?
Have you tried to use a headset to see if there is any difference or is it the same with them also?

Kizlyk
10-29-2011, 06:40 PM
Hi

That link you sent, looks like his screen was frozen... most likely because of heat problems.

But your screen doesn't freeze or anything, it's just the audio it's happening with?
Have you tried to use a headset to see if there is any difference or is it the same with them also?

Hi, my screen also freezes, keyboard and mouse do not respond as well. It doesn't look like overheat problem because monitoring tools report that temperature is ok, and it can happen even 5 minutes after I launch PC, also it always happens with this sound loop, that's why it seems to me that it might be a sound card problem...

fuzon1337
10-29-2011, 07:14 PM
Ok, I had that problem before, on an another notebook that I borrowed when mine was at the workshop for defect KB/MB for backlit. I'm not sure, but I think it could be becasue the driver version since the computer didn't freeze before that update for Nvidia came out (I don't remember which version it is on that notebook, but I can find that out in few minutes).

And my computer started to freeze too with the drivers after 280.00 from Nvidia so I went back to 267.76 (because of getting the 3D to work)

So I will guess that you have updated your computer recently ? Try to install an younger version to your graphic card and see if that works :)

Kizlyk
10-29-2011, 07:56 PM
ok, I will try to downgrade nvidia drivers, thank you :)

fuzon1337
10-29-2011, 09:41 PM
Let us know if that worked :)

Kizlyk
11-01-2011, 06:42 PM
Unfortunately, installing old 267.76 nvidia drivers didn't help :(
Any other ideas are welcome.

fuzon1337
11-01-2011, 06:59 PM
Hmm, I'm sorry that didn't work, since your screen also freezes I thought it was something with the drivers for Nvidia.
Because when the screen freezes the sound also follows and the keyboard/mouse would not response.

Perhaps I have a another solution for the sound issue, THIS SITE (http://forum.notebookreview.com/hardware-components-aftermarket-upgrades/587521-fix-realtek-sound-popping-high-pitched-tone-squeal.html#post7617517) from Notebook Review :)

But when you said:

Unfortunately, installing old 267.76 nvidia drivers didn't help :(
Did nothing change?

Kizlyk
11-02-2011, 08:38 PM
Yes, the same issue appeared several times the next day - screen froze, notebook made this looping sound again and after a minute or so it returned to normal.

About your link, it does not seem to be my problem, my sound quality is fine, but thanks for the help anyway.

fuzon1337
11-02-2011, 09:11 PM
Hmm, about the link I must have thought about something else when I posted that.

Could it be that your ram is wrong clocked ? When Intel's Turbo Boost technology turns on/switch on it clocks (also your ram) up all capacity in the ram and processor to it's best, and sometimes it could overclock the ram so the computer would freeze.
(This is just a theory, it does not have to be like this)

Look at THIS SITE, (http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/576420-g73sw-freezes-have-hard-reboot.html) Chastity have tried to help out this guy there, look if one of the suggestions she has given him could fix your problem (if you don't already have done that)

Also you could go to Controlpanel -> System and security -> Administrative Tools -> View event logs. See there for error messages.

Kizlyk
11-08-2011, 07:20 PM
Unfortunately I don't really know how to check if the ram is overclocked, I tried to restore default settings in BIOS but it didn't help. I also wanted to add some new information - it seems that every time when computer freezes I hear soft clicks somewhere in the lower part of the notebook (somewhere under the touchpad or near it), maybe it will help someone to identify the problem...

dstrakele
11-08-2011, 07:52 PM
Unfortunately I don't really know how to check if the ram is overclocked, I tried to restore default settings in BIOS but it didn't help. I also wanted to add some new information - it seems that every time when computer freezes I hear soft clicks somewhere in the lower part of the notebook (somewhere under the touchpad or near it), maybe it will help someone to identify the problem...

I'd be suspicious of a bad HDD from that description. Are you seeing Disk Errors reported in the System Event Log when you experience these 'freezes'?

If your HDD supports S.M.A.R.T., you can download SpeedFan and get a nice in-depth online analysis. See http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?4661-Question-about-HDD-G-sense-error-rate-G74SX&p=33649&viewfull=1#post33649 for an example.

BrodyBoy
11-08-2011, 08:16 PM
I'd be suspicious of a bad HDD from that description.
Agreed.

@Kizlyk: Whatever the issue turns out to be, the mere possibility of HHD failure means you should back up or move any important data on that drive...ASAP. When they actually fail, they fail for good. :(

Kizlyk
11-10-2011, 08:05 PM
I tested my hard drives with SpeedFan, but there are no errors or anything, I also don't see anything suspicious in event log when this problem occurs... So still no clues so far.

I would turn to service center but I cannot reproduce this issue regularly enough to show them the problem :(

JRd1st
11-10-2011, 09:05 PM
Do you have Creative sound stuff installed? In my gaming days, there were always resource conflicts between Creative and nVidia. The light/fire of explosions for example would make the sound freeze and stutter.

Kizlyk
11-11-2011, 05:30 PM
Do you have Creative sound stuff installed? In my gaming days, there were always resource conflicts between Creative and nVidia. The light/fire of explosions for example would make the sound freeze and stutter.

I tried uninstalling it, but the problem was still there

JRd1st
11-11-2011, 05:37 PM
Download DPC Latency Checker (http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml) and run it when your PC is idle. Do you see red spikes? Those spikes are caused by drivers misbehaving. Read the page where the download is to get an idea of what to do. Come back if you need more help.

Good luck, man!

Kizlyk
11-13-2011, 08:32 PM
Download DPC Latency Checker (http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml) and run it when your PC is idle. Do you see red spikes? Those spikes are caused by drivers misbehaving. Read the page where the download is to get an idea of what to do. Come back if you need more help.

Good luck, man!

I tried this program, and there were red spikes indeed, not very high though - around 3000 mark. They disappear when I disable the "WeOnlyDo Network Adapter 2.5" device. I will try to use my notebook for a while with this thing disabled to see if there will be any difference...

JRd1st
11-13-2011, 08:55 PM
Good idea! :D

dr.alwi
11-13-2011, 10:40 PM
i have the same problem here too...
i really start to hate my laptop...
please help us

JRd1st
11-13-2011, 10:50 PM
i have the same problem here too...
i really start to hate my laptop...
please help us
Is your laptop new?

Have you done anything recently that may have precipitated this behaviour?

Something weird seems to be happening to G73's but mostly those with the ATI graphics solution. What's the commonality?

dr.alwi
11-14-2011, 05:29 AM
yeah my laptop is brand new and since i take it with same freezing ...
any suggestion :(

JRd1st
11-14-2011, 06:00 AM
Start by doing this http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?5126-Any-Kind-of-Lag-and-Atheros-WiFi-Card

rebrant
03-14-2014, 09:18 AM
I had the same problem but my mashine does not have any warrianty so manage to solve the problem my self, and it was very stupid!!! JUST DISABLE YOU BLUETHOOTH devise (it is messing with your sound card witch actually has 2 profils for energy consumption). Works like a charm for me - no more freezez even with latest video driver.