PDA

View Full Version : ROG G750 JW -LOL fps problem when unplugged / using battery power

silvershadow0099
11-23-2014, 09:58 AM
So i just got the ROG G750 JW and gforce experience sets the setting on very high for every thing on my laptop (for lol)

so when its plugged in i get 200 fps ( not sure if true :rolleyes: ) with not even a stutter,
but when its plugged out i get 30-50ish fps and it lags (on battery).

Any idea why, please help.

silvershadow0099
11-23-2014, 10:01 AM
sorry double post D:

Darnassus
11-23-2014, 10:12 AM
You cannot game properly on battery, the G750's dedicated card doesn't allow it.. not smoothly.

silvershadow0099
11-23-2014, 10:19 AM
You cannot game properly on battery, the G750's dedicated card doesn't allow it.. not smoothly.

is there any way to fix that or bypass that ?
also is it in this model or every other model ?
further more i was playing dmc4 and got 15~~ fps on battery... that is just sad..
thanks...

Darnassus
11-23-2014, 10:44 AM
Not that I'm aware of, but if you did, the battery would only last around 40 minutes to 50 and would strain it severely.

The GPU is dedicated, not integrated. It has it's own components and everything it needs that a GPU would normally, thus requires a lot of power.

If you look at your charging brick, you'll find that it supplies 20volts and 10amps, I have a good feeling a lot of that power from the brick goes to the GPU directly. (Theoretically anyway).

With the first generation G750's, the internal graphics (Inside the 4700) is completely ignored. If you wanted that, (which probably wouldn't run the games anyway) you would have needed to buy the second gen or above, being the G750JM / JS / JZ

silvershadow0099
11-23-2014, 11:43 AM
any suggestion what i should do ?

Darnassus
11-23-2014, 12:12 PM
Well.. game while plugged in. It's the best thing you can do. ':x

silvershadow0099
11-23-2014, 03:27 PM
then calling it a laptop is futile... if i cant game on the go.... hell i can even play DMC 4 with out lag....damn it.
disappointed.

Areseru
11-23-2014, 05:08 PM
You need to go to the NVidia GeForce Experience, search for Battery Boost and set it properly/disable it. Your choice.
P.S. I see that ROG Guru here are pretty disinformed, what a shame...

Maxter
11-23-2014, 08:36 PM
lower the graphics to low-medium, then you can play on battery.... gives you 1.5 hours (2 games)

Maxter
11-23-2014, 08:38 PM
above answer is for your LoL question. I don't know other games... but with lower graphics, you decrease the power consumption and the battery can power both CPU and GPU

Areseru
11-23-2014, 09:47 PM
Again? BatteryBoost is set to target 30fps with battery on so to drop out further consumptions. Disabiling BatteryBoost will give full power to GPU but will drain more battery charge.

silvershadow0099
11-24-2014, 12:37 PM
You need to go to the NVidia GeForce Experience, search for Battery Boost and set it properly/disable it. Your choice.
P.S. I see that ROG Guru here are pretty disinformed, what a shame...

battery boots is not enabled on my laptop....( SLI not supported ).

cl-Albert
11-24-2014, 05:00 PM
So i just got the ROG G750 JW and gforce experience sets the setting on very high for every thing on my laptop (for lol)

so when its plugged in i get 200 fps ( not sure if true :rolleyes: ) with not even a stutter,
but when its plugged out i get 30-50ish fps and it lags (on battery).

Any idea why, please help.

Check your G750JW bios version to see if you are running version 208 and the thread below if you haven't already to consider trying a bios update which may help some.
If you 'stress' your system while monitoring the CPU speed on battery power, it should also give you a better idea if a bios update may help.
Please be aware there is the possibility of killing your system if something goes wrong with the bios update if you would rather not take this chance, but normally you should not have any problems doing this.

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?35062-Processor-stuck-at-77Ghz-when-unplugged-solved-w-new-bios

Maxter
11-24-2014, 07:00 PM
Again? BatteryBoost is set to target 30fps with battery on so to drop out further consumptions. Disabiling BatteryBoost will give full power to GPU but will drain more battery charge. G750JW is not done to run games on "low-medium" settings, "guru".

so aggressive... you are what's wrong with the world. There are no Gurus here, just people that have experiences and try to help. The Guru labeling is given by ASUS and it's based on number of posts. Plus, it is evident you have no formal education on engineering, based on your statements (not worth discussing further with you).
Be nice, or get out.

Areseru
11-24-2014, 08:04 PM
so aggressive... you are what's wrong with the world. There are no Gurus here, just people that have experiences and try to help. The Guru labeling is given by ASUS and it's based on number of posts. Plus, it is evident you have no formal education on engineering, based on your statements (not worth discussing further with you).
Be nice, or get out.
Actually I have a B.Sc in CS ahahahah enough?

silvershadow0099
12-05-2014, 12:08 PM
soo i cant do any decent gaming with out my laptop plugged in ?

hmscott
12-05-2014, 03:04 PM
soo i cant do any decent gaming with out my laptop plugged in ?

silvershadow0099, it depends on the game, and it will run games better than an Optimus using an Intel GPU, but you need to set up profiles in your games for running on battery - set everything way down to start to get FPS up, and then tune up as best gives you a good gaming experience - some games that won't be possible on battery.

High end gaming GPU's require a lot of power :)

If you want to get the best performance, uninstall Asus Power4Gear, and make a High Performance Power plan for battery use - set brightness down, set CPU Performance to Min/Max 0%/99% to disable CPU Turbo - fixes it to 2.4ghz - enough for the GPU on battery, and then tune the game for battery use.

Please come back and let us know how it works out, and if you have any more questions specific to the game.

silvershadow0099
12-07-2014, 05:35 AM
ok one last thing...
if i buy another top end laptop (rog) will i still face this problem??
and which one should i bye?

hmscott
12-07-2014, 06:18 AM
ok one last thing...
if i buy another top end laptop (rog) will i still face this problem??
and which one should i bye?

silvershadow0099, sorry, but it is a problem for all high end laptops. You need an external power source the same as the AC adapter will provide, build one of those and go into business selling them.

It isn't as bad as you think though. With the 980m/970m drawing much less power, and Nvidia's FPS cap (variable?) set at 30 FPS, you can extend battery life a tad longer, and still get some good game play in.

Check out this video on the subject. From ==> http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?54387-New-member-and-have-some-questions-about-buying-laptop&p=455306&viewfull=1#post455306

GeForce GTX 980M: Mains Power vs Battery vs Nvidia Battery Boost Benchmark Tests
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fl62HC83rqE

Cutting down eye candy, resolution, fps, all go toward extending the battery time.

If you want to go the other direction, keeping FPS up with all the goodies, then find an external power supply to plug into the laptop that is portable and easy to move around. When you find one or make one, please post back here - we want one too :)

_
12-08-2014, 02:12 AM
GeForce experience Battery Boost target FPS can be changed anywhere between 30-60FPS.