PDA

View Full Version : Problems with G751JM(best Buy) wireless adapter

DarthVenius
11-23-2014, 07:30 PM
I'm having a hard time staying online with this new computer... I'm staying at a hotel for work and need to be online... first day after I bought it it would not connect to the hotels internet while all my other devices would.. finally resolved by having the hotel reset their router.. But now it only works when Im in their lobby.. the second I walk 10ft away it stops working.... anyone having this issue or know of any fixes?

EDIT: there are 4 access points around the hotel and I'm right next to know of them in my room so I know thats not the issue

hmscott
11-24-2014, 06:53 AM
I'm having a hard time staying online with this new computer... I'm staying at a hotel for work and need to be online... first day after I bought it it would not connect to the hotels internet while all my other devices would.. finally resolved by having the hotel reset their router.. But now it only works when Im in their lobby.. the second I walk 10ft away it stops working.... anyone having this issue or know of any fixes?
EDIT: there are 4 access points around the hotel and I'm right next to know of them in my room so I know thats not the issue

DarthVenius, I carry around a couple of older USB adapters for this situation. Newer wifi cards sometimes have trouble with older Wifi installations. I can't be without network connectivity, so even if the internal Wifi was 100% compatible everywhere, it can fail, so having a USB backup or two comes in handy.

For me I buy them as new protocol's come out so I have a stable of adapters to pick from. If you are getting them new, then look for the older and now cheaper DLINK and Netgear 802.11n 150/300 era units and an 802.11g era unit Very cheap and reliable - just make sure whatever you get has Windows 8.x support :)

Sorry to hear you had this happen. When this has happened to me the front desk often has a loaner, or can move you to a room with an ethernet cable.