PDA

View Full Version : The New G750JY ROG Laptop - 8gb 980m

CoryBee
11-24-2014, 02:10 AM
Figure I would try to piece what I found out about this laptop (asus folks please chime in)

Asus has it listed as so;

Processor: Intel® Core™ i7 4860HQ /4710HQ Processor
Chipset: Intel® HM87 Express Chipset
Graphic: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX980M 8GB GDDR5
Battery: 410 x 318 x 18 cm (WxDxH) (w/ 8cell battery)

And all the usually mumbo jumbo that isn't as important

I have been scouring the internets for more information and obviously am not sure what information is correct.

This site (http://www.centralpoint.be/nl/notebooks-laptops/asus/g750jy-t4009h-be-art-90nb07j1-m00090-num-2541838/#)seems to say there is an onboard graphics card as shown;
http://i59.tinypic.com/wk0is7.jpg

This would also indicate that there is most likely optimus like the G750JZ that I currently own.

Normally I wouldn't speculate that just because there is two video cards that optimus is there but considering that the videos of people in the device manager on their G751JY have only the 980m showing it is a fair bet the dual cards mean optimus.

This does not mean that the site is right in the specs though.

I really like the idea of keeping the same design that I have now with the chromed outlined trackpad and all. I think this Black and chrome with white leds is much classier than the dark red G751 models so to have the matching power, or even better more powerful G750JY would be fan-freaking-tastic!

BUT IF IT HAS OPTIMUS!!!!! I WILL WRITE A MEAN LETTER TO ASUS STATING HOW BAD THEY MESSED UP NOT LETTING ME HAVE WHAT I WANT!

Anyone with more info please chime in!

Darnassus
11-24-2014, 11:18 AM
Some more info here: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?53971-Asus-G750JY-real-G750-with-GTX-980M

Currently we're speculating if it'll be a slim form factor like the G750 JW / JX models, and not the JH size with the larger fans.

The height stated is 50mm. So we're in hopes for it to stay consistent.

CoryBee
11-24-2014, 01:28 PM
Thanks Darnassus.

Would also be nice if it had a small form factor like the G751. Although I am not sure how I feel about the non-removable battery.

Either way, optimus is a killer for me here. How can we contact ASUS techs to confirm?

hmscott
11-24-2014, 02:08 PM
This site (http://www.centralpoint.be/nl/notebooks-laptops/asus/g750jy-t4009h-be-art-90nb07j1-m00090-num-2541838/#)seems to say there is an onboard graphics card as shown;
http://i59.tinypic.com/wk0is7.jpg

This would also indicate that there is most likely optimus like the G750JZ that I currently own...

CoryBee, calling out the Intel GPU spec doesn't necessarily indicate Optimus.

Some of the G751JT/JY owners said their laptops had Intel GPU stickers calling out the iGPU model, which confused them because they couldn't figure out how to access it.

The G751JT/JY doesn't have Optimus, and there is a least a chance Asus didn't put Optimus on the G751JY - again there is no mention of the Intel GPU in the G750JY spec, and no mention of Optimus anywhere in the product page:

Graphic
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX980M 8GB GDDR5

http://www.asus.com/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/G750JY/specifications/

So there is still hope :)

CoryBee
11-24-2014, 02:15 PM
There is also no mention of optimus or the dedicated GPU on the G750JZ I have on their product page.

Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX880M 4GB/8GB GDDR5

I am hoping it doesn't. Cause I will definitely be getting the G750JY over the G751JY, just for aesthetics alone, but would be a bonus to have the 8gb Vram.

hmscott
11-24-2014, 02:25 PM
There is also no mention of optimus or the dedicated GPU on the G750JZ I have on their product page.

Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX880M 4GB/8GB GDDR5

I am hoping it doesn't. Cause I will definitely be getting the G750JY over the G751JY, just for aesthetics alone, but would be a bonus to have the 8gb Vram.

CoryBee, that's new, the G750JM/JS/JZ all had Optimus logos and mention of both GPU's at their release. I recall reading it and being disappointed.

If Asus is going to ship before xmas, we should hear soon :)

CoryBee
11-24-2014, 03:01 PM
CoryBee, that's new, the G750JM/JS/JZ all had Optimus logos and mention of both GPU's at their release. I recall reading it and being disappointed.

If Asus is going to ship before xmas, we should hear soon :)

I WANT TO HEAR NOW!

Thanks for giving me some hope though.

I was all set to buy the G751JY, now I need to wait for the G750JY to be release to know if I want it. Kills me!

CoryBee
11-24-2014, 04:55 PM
Just got off the chat with an ASUS rep.

Raymond L.: Hi Cory, how are you today?
You: I am good
You: I was hoping you could tell me if the new G750JY has optimus?
You: I was ready to purchase the G751JY
You: But noticed you have a new G750 listed and I much prefer the styles of the G750 series than the new model
Raymond L.: Sure I'll be happy to check on this for you , Please hold one moment .
You: thank you
Raymond L.: Your welcome.
Raymond L.: Sorry for the wait, please give me a few moments to have some additional checks done
You: Okay
Raymond L.: Thank your patience the model G751JY does not have the Optimus Technology.
You: I wanted to know
You: If the model
You: G750JY has optimus
Raymond L.: G751JY does not have the Optimus Technology.
You: G7-50-JY
You: 50
You: I know the 51 doesn't
Raymond L.: My apologies on the mistake Cory . Yes these models G750JY has Optimus Technology.

Raymond L.: My apologies on the mistake Cory . Yes these models G750JY has Optimus Technology.

Well, looks like it does. I am going to check with another representative to make sure.

But even so, they might now have the right info.....I hope.....

CoryBee
11-25-2014, 03:35 AM
Are there any ASUS reps on the forum that would like to chime in?

Darnassus
11-25-2014, 06:37 AM
Just got off the chat with an ASUS rep.

Raymond L.: Hi Cory, how are you today?
You: I am good
You: I was hoping you could tell me if the new G750JY has optimus?
You: I was ready to purchase the G751JY
You: But noticed you have a new G750 listed and I much prefer the styles of the G750 series than the new model
Raymond L.: Sure I'll be happy to check on this for you , Please hold one moment .
You: thank you
Raymond L.: Your welcome.
Raymond L.: Sorry for the wait, please give me a few moments to have some additional checks done
You: Okay
Raymond L.: Thank your patience the model G751JY does not have the Optimus Technology.
You: I wanted to know
You: If the model
You: G750JY has optimus
Raymond L.: G751JY does not have the Optimus Technology.
You: G7-50-JY
You: 50
You: I know the 51 doesn't

..... yeeeeeeeeah, I won't say this is confirmed. I bet he just looked at the second gen G750's the JM/JS/JZ and just answered 'yes'. People are only human, but the way he err.. 'functioned' just has me lose confidence in his feedback. Especially when he says 'These models'.

Thanks for the log though Mr. Bee! :3

hmscott
11-25-2014, 06:52 AM
Just got off the chat with an ASUS rep...

Defeat, snatched from the jaws of Victory... once again.

Time to get up, go to the Window, open it, and stick your heads out - and yell...

"I'm mad as Hell and I'm not going to take this anymore!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGIY5Vyj4YM&feature=player_detailpage

And, quietly get a G751JY instead :)

The more things change, the more things stay the same.

The long version, lead up, delivery, payoff. (1080p)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwMVMbmQBug

CoryBee
11-25-2014, 07:58 AM
Darnassus, I would love to believe the guy doesn't know what he is talking about. But considering what I found and what this guy said I am guessing that it has optimus. Which wouldn't be a big surprise. I was just happy to hear they were putting a beefed up version of the 980m in the style of laptop I like most.

I buy all my laptops off Amazon so I am just going to buy the G751JY and if I was wrong about the G750JY having optimus I will just get rid of the G751 for the new G750.

------

Thanks for that video, was nice to see that clip again. And yea, I am mad as hell!

Poor me, I guess I'll just have to make due with one of the most powerful laptops on the market, even if I don't find it as pretty. (1st world problems)

CoryBee
11-25-2014, 08:19 AM
Also if I don't like it when I get it, I might be willing to sell it to an ROG member at a discount.

Wulff
11-25-2014, 09:31 AM
so if this new g750jY has optimus would this mean us gtx880m users might be able to upgrade to a gtx980 then? since basicly the laptop is pretty much the same except from the cpu i have (4700HQ)

hope so cause i might be willing to spend money on that instead of buying a whole new laptop, and yes i know gfx cards are quite expensive

Darnassus
11-25-2014, 10:08 AM
Aw! :c Don't worry, we still haven't seen it yet, Mr. Bee! :3

beatc
11-25-2014, 11:27 AM
so if this new g750jY has optimus would this mean us gtx880m users might be able to upgrade to a gtx980 then? since basicly the laptop is pretty much the same except from the cpu i have (4700HQ)

hope so cause i might be willing to spend money on that instead of buying a whole new laptop, and yes i know gfx cards are quite expensive

possible but difficult to do

CoryBee
11-25-2014, 06:38 PM

I dunno, I doubt it brother. Most likely you wont be able to because from what I have gathered the G750JY will have the smaller form factor, which means it will weight and be similar shaped as the G751JY. So the internals are most likely in different places. Although I can not say for certain.

I might just say **** it and buy both, then decide which to keep.

hmscott
11-25-2014, 07:24 PM
...I might just say **** it and buy both, then decide which to keep.

Good call, then you can test them side by side. Otherwise you might get one then the other, then have to go back to the first one after you returned it.

It's a tough call. For me it would be up to temp increases between G751JY and G750JY - which with Optimus will likely be 10c hotter in CPU temps under load due to enabled iGPU. And, temps while running apps that only run on iGPU, how hot does the CPU get under double die heat load.

Looking forward to hearing the result of your testing :)

CoryBee
11-25-2014, 08:16 PM
Good call, then you can test them side by side. Otherwise you might get one then the other, then have to go back to the first one after you returned it.

It's a tough call. For me it would be up to temp increases between G751JY and G750JY - which with Optimus will likely be 10c hotter in CPU temps under load due to enabled iGPU. And, temps while running apps that only run on iGPU, how hot does the CPU get under double die heat load.

Looking forward to hearing the result of your testing :)

If i order both I will definitely post my benchmarks and heat performances on both machines.

Darnassus
11-28-2014, 03:50 PM
I myself am strongly considering finding a G751JT sometime. The 970m model. I'm pretty sure I can get nearly the same price I bought my JX for. ($2,000 here in Aus as it still seems to sell for $2,200.)

Why do people not like he G751 again? Is it just the shape? I need to admit, the metal plate on the lid is simply great, the normal G750 has too much flex and it always worried me.

Also found this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=1083621&gclid=CjwKEAiA1-CjBRDOhIr_-vPDvQYSJAB48SmE3p-LyWGYlGrkYbGgTHTRKyA8Wxjs6_Adbyx8ZKEqnhoCferw_wcB&Q=&is=REG&A=details

You think it's legit? That's quite cheap for the JT. ( It has no SSD, some reason a 256gb SSD is $280 more ';f )

hmscott
11-28-2014, 06:22 PM
...Why do people not like he G751 again? Is it just the shape? I need to admit, the metal plate on the lid is simply great, the normal G750 has too much flex and it always worried me...

Darnassus, there are several problems with the G751 right now that are putting people off it.

1) Many of the G751's coming off the production line have Speaker sound issues - all the sound comes out the Subwoofer, or all 3 speakers have the same audio output - no fix yet.

2) Some USB ports, left side, are dropping connections - mouse, disk, flash drive, etc. No fix.

3) The Intel 7260 Wifi gives a lot of people compatibility problems, either at home, work, or eleswhere. The home one they can solve with updated firmware / hardware, but work and elsewhere is out of their control and causes loss of connectivity.

4) The usual cosmetic defects from early production of new hardware.

5) The look... a bit gaudy from the G750 to the G751.

If the G750JY didn't have Optimus I would go for that myself for #5, the rest don't bother me as they can / will get fixed.

CoryBee
11-28-2014, 07:13 PM
If the G750JY didn't have Optimus I would go for that myself for #5, the rest don't bother me as they can / will get fixed.

But it does have optimus, stupid ASUS. I love this laptop style. JUST GIVE ME THE POWER! All I want is an 8gb 980m, 120hz lcd panel and it to look just like my laptop style. ASUS, you have forsaken me!

http://new4.fjcdn.com/comments/Gt+virtual+reality+video+games+gt+interstellar+spa ce+travel+_aa251957cf11a860d1e1ff03994e2735.jpg

Psycho
11-29-2014, 11:59 PM
Soon,I'll get this : http://www.pcgarage.ro/notebook-laptop/asus/173-rog-g750jy-fhd-procesor-intel-core-i7-4860hq-24ghz-crystal-well-24gb-1tb-plus-256gb-ssd-geforce-gtx-980m-8gb-black/

I think its enough to keep me on top like ~3/4 years and the price in $ is like ~2,795 . What do ya think? It will worth the mulla?

Psycho
11-30-2014, 12:05 AM
I think the 751 design is a bit weird-childlish,cause of its orange-red keyboard color,logo and exhaust vents are to obvious like they are like sparkles...I think the 750 look its just how I want macabre and darkish,even its a biiit louder and with max. ~5/7 degrees more hotter on full load.

P.S : Btw,if in like 3~ years it will come 951 models with Skylake / Broadwell CPUs (eg : 5860HQ) and new Nvidia series like KM3000...it will be more powerful than my monster? with like 30%? (or more). If that means ~ 15/20 more FPS and ~4/5k more points in benchmarks,I really don't mind,honest. I mean,I think it won't make this model to bow in knees in front of him.

CoryBee
12-03-2014, 11:27 AM
I agree.
I have one coming so I will judge it with my own eyes soon.

Joystick
12-03-2014, 04:51 PM
This G750JY is so... wrong. Why are they updating G750 to be partly better than G751JY? I can't prevent myself from thinking that they're disowning G751JY, they have rethought. There must be something really wrong with G751JY to go back to an old product and restart updating it. I was thinking to buy a G751JY (after problems resolution), but now I'm so confused: buying a G750JY is out of question (Optimus inside), but they're making fun of G751JY's buyers.

pit_ns
12-05-2014, 05:27 PM
Asus just put IPS screen in it. The colors are so much better than in old TN panels for me. I don't mind to have Optimus since it may actually help it to work quieter and I don't want to hear it when I don't play....

Darnassus
12-06-2014, 08:33 AM
What's so bad about Optimus? Like.. literally bad?

With Games going onto the iGPU, you can set a custom profile to MAKE the game use the dGPU, right? If so, the main issue seems solved.

The only issue I see with Optimus is the fact it limits your NVidia Control Panel's options, disallowing you to make your own custom resolution, example, boosting your Hz to something like 85. Doesn't the IPS provide enough performance to make 60Hz desirable again? (Good color, no scrolling, no tearing etc.)

What's the ACTUAL problem against Optimus? The above stuff is all I currently know about, which SEEMS to be rectified on the G751.

I mean, if Optimus will allow my battery to run a few hours longer if I'm web browsing or playing a lightweight game which the iGPU in the CPU can handle.. then, that's actually a good thing, right?

Optimus is a GPU system control tyrant.. but is it ACTUALLY affecting things?

Although with the G750JY (Attention: G750 model) I can see where Optimus would make problems.. I just thought I'd ask in general respect.

Joystick
12-06-2014, 11:44 AM
What's so bad about Optimus? Like.. literally bad?

With Games going onto the iGPU, you can set a custom profile to MAKE the game use the dGPU, right? If so, the main issue seems solved.
[...]

Optimus is about a virtual GPU which can be automatically or manually set for making use of a pool of GPUs. Manually setting is not always working, but nobody gives a ****, because (thanks Apple) notebooks should not be about best performance. The "not always working" thing is scaring people, specially because sometimes it means "your software is not working at all, you bought a brand new lemon".

To avoid this problem the manufacturers' solution is "not implementing Optimus" (the Asus' way) or allowing to physically disable the iGPU (which would probably increase the price of a notebook by $2).

gazzacbr
12-14-2014, 03:06 PM
..."not implementing Optimus" (the Asus' way) or allowing to physically disable the iGPU (which would probably increase the price of a notebook by $2).

I have the first option on my G750JX and am more than happy to never see the Optimess and all its problems.
But the second option is so obvious, that there can only be conspiracy somewhere.
An option in BIOS must surely cost next to nothing or even a tiny hardware switch to physicaly disable the damm thing would stop all the moaning in its tracks.
Also, for the people asking for 120Hz, it aint gonna happen as long as you have the graphics channeling (read crawling) through the Intel as that is not capable of those speeds. There must be a whole different approach with Intel to do that.
That is why my 3D 120Hz screen is directly connected to an internal display port (fast) and the Intel (slow) is not connected at all.

Psycho
12-26-2014, 09:00 PM
Well,well,well...I just bought the basic model of 751JY...and its have i7 4710HQ,16GB RAM,4GB 980M,240GB SSD,1TB HDD...and my buddy have thave the latest 750JY with 8GB 980M,24GB RAM,512GB SSD,2TB HDD,i7 4860HQ...and GUESS WHAT!? We did same benchmarks and our points were...like...~3k points maximum between and 6 more FPS...so yeah I got mine with 1k $ less. :) 751 is just the best price/performance from now to 2017/8 without doubt...even if there are going to be 951 models with Broadwell and so on...nobody cares about 12% ~ difference at performance like 5k points in benchmarks and 10 more fps cause new gen Nvidia...ugh.

hmscott
12-29-2014, 10:14 PM
Well,well,well...I just bought the basic model of 751JY...and its have i7 4710HQ,16GB RAM,4GB 980M,240GB SSD,1TB HDD...and my buddy have thave the latest 750JY with 8GB 980M,24GB RAM,512GB SSD,2TB HDD,i7 4860HQ...and GUESS WHAT!? We did same benchmarks and our points were...like...~3k points maximum between and 6 more FPS...so yeah I got mine with 1k $ less. :) 751 is just the best price/performance from now to 2017/8 without doubt...even if there are going to be 951 models with Broadwell and so on...nobody cares about 12% ~ difference at performance like 5k points in benchmarks and 10 more fps cause new gen Nvidia...ugh.

Psycho, interesting, I would think with equal configuration and tuning both of those laptops should be much closer in maximum performance.

You have had yours awhile and have likely tuned it up, and his is fresh out of the box with the older Nvidia driver.

Changing the Nvidia 3D Global settings for single display, Performance, and High Performance would make up that small difference.

Set both up with maximum tuning, newest/same drivers on both, and then re-run the test :)

hmscott
12-29-2014, 10:16 PM
Guys, the G750JY now has a download support area:

G750JY downloads
http://www.asus.com/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/G750JY/HelpDesk_Download/

Looking at the manual...

Good news, the battery is removable.

Not so good news, there is no mention of a BIOS or Switch to disable Optimus - no mention of Optimus at all.

There is a new setting in the BIOS screen shown: C-States

On laptops that setting usually is paired with an Optimus enable/disable option, and is a problem for Nvidia GPU's. When Optimus is enabled and C-states is enabled, the Nvidia GPU can have ACPI errors and to stop those ACPI errors you need to disable C-states which also stops Optimus from working.

I am hoping that Asus has combined the Optimus / C-states setting and if disabled will disable Optimus... :)

But, I don't know if the video will still come through the Intel iGPU, or if the displays external/internal will be fed from the Nvidia GPU.

gazzacbr
12-30-2014, 06:52 AM
...I am hoping that Asus has combined the Optimus / C-states setting and if disabled will disable Optimus... :)

But, I don't know if the video will still come through the Intel iGPU, or if the displays external/internal will be fed from the Nvidia GPU.

We can only hope Asus see the light ;)

does this model have a glossy or matte screen?

sasuke256
12-31-2014, 08:00 PM
Still not available in France !

Psycho
01-02-2015, 12:35 PM
Scott did that already told ya...its just a 5% ~ difference in 3D/PCMark with exactly 1249 points and in games like Far Cry 4 , Dragon Age Inquisition etc...are like the maximum difference was in Crysis 3 that I had with 7 less FPS...and thats all. The rest is the same...:D

Psycho
01-02-2015, 12:37 PM
And we did same thing like we have everything up to date...gpu , cpu , and so on after we did the performance test :).

hmscott
01-02-2015, 05:24 PM

Psycho, interesting, I would think with equal configuration and tuning both of those laptops should be much closer in maximum performance.
You have had yours awhile and have likely tuned it up, and his is fresh out of the box with the older Nvidia driver.
Changing the Nvidia 3D Global settings for single display, Performance, and High Performance would make up that small difference.
Set both up with maximum tuning, newest/same drivers on both, and then re-run the test :)

Scott did that already told ya...its just a 5% ~ difference in 3D/PCMark with exactly 1249 points and in games like Far Cry 4 , Dragon Age Inquisition etc...are like the maximum difference was in Crysis 3 that I had with 7 less FPS...and thats all. The rest is the same...:D

Psycho, while we appreciate the info, you aren't being very clear. You didn't list the results, just the differences in % and you didn't say which got what score. Without knowing the default CPU multipliers, power plan, GPU/memory frequencies, and how many runs of each test you did, on each laptop, we can't know what to attribute the differences in test results.

More importantly you didn't tune them for best performance, and if you did what were the settings? Did both have the 4710HQ or the 4860HQ. What were the CPU multipliers set in XTU, what was the GPU/memory frequencies for Stock Default and Maximum OC?

All those details matter when saying there was a 5%-7% difference. Including how many runs you did on each - those numbers are a little high for simple variance between test runs, but not so high as to rule them out.

If you didn't keep that info, that's cool, but next time the more data you can extract and save the better the report :)

Would you say there was little difference then? Nothing the user would perceive?

Did the G750JY have Optimus? Was there a way to turn it off? There is a BIOS setting for C-States, if you disable that does it turn off Optimus?

Side by side did you notice one quieter at idle or maximum load than the other? The Notebookcheck.com review measured the G750JY quieter by a good margin at idle, but louder at maximum load, was that noticeable?

Thanks Psycho!

Areosjc
01-03-2015, 03:04 PM
Share some G750jy pics please.

Good luck

Marcheopus
02-15-2015, 05:09 PM
I got mine last week.

Asus G750JY
CPU: Intel Core i7-4860HQ, 32 GB RAM
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M, 8 GB
Secondary GPU: Intel Iris Pro Graphics 5200 Mobile
512 GB SSD (in 2 partitions)
1024 GB HDD (in 2 partitions)

In addition to the computer, the box contained a backpack, a gaming mouse and a headset. I wasn't expecting it and it was nowhere mentioned. I suppose it was provided by the shop to compensate the crazy swiss franc hike (price is a bit lower now).

I'm very happy :-) I tried Alien Isolation and World of Warcraft with the highest video settings, both look great. World of Warcraft reports fps between 60 fps in worst cases to 180 fps in best cases. No Optimus issues. Also made some quite heavy computing with Matlab, it's much better than my (old) work desktop computer...

It looks good, not too "alien" so it can also be used for serious stuff in public (that's the first reason I chose this one and not the G751JY, the other one is the removable battery).

The only bad point is that it is really really heavy. I had a quite heavy 18.4 inches HP laptop, but this one is even heavier.

Feel free to ask questions!

Areosjc
02-16-2015, 06:01 AM
I got mine last week.

Asus G750JY
CPU: Intel Core i7-4860HQ, 32 GB RAM
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M, 8 GB
Secondary GPU: Intel Iris Pro Graphics 5200 Mobile
512 GB SSD (in 2 partitions)
1024 GB HDD (in 2 partitions)

In addition to the computer, the box contained a backpack, a gaming mouse and a headset. I wasn't expecting it and it was nowhere mentioned. I suppose it was provided by the shop to compensate the crazy swiss franc hike (price is a bit lower now).

I'm very happy :-) I tried Alien Isolation and World of Warcraft with the highest video settings, both look great. World of Warcraft reports fps between 60 fps in worst cases to 180 fps in best cases. No Optimus issues. Also made some quite heavy computing with Matlab, it's much better than my (old) work desktop computer...

It looks good, not too "alien" so it can also be used for serious stuff in public (that's the first reason I chose this one and not the G751JY, the other one is the removable battery).

The only bad point is that it is really really heavy. I had a quite heavy 18.4 inches HP laptop, but this one is even heavier.

Feel free to ask questions!

Can you please take some pictures from the hardware itself and from the device manager display section it will be really great please.

Thank you

Marcheopus
02-16-2015, 05:31 PM
Can you please take some pictures from the hardware itself and from the device manager display section it will be really great please.

Thank you

Here you have two pictures and two print screens from the hardware information given by 3D Mark 11 (no idea what it exactly means, but I got 11730 pts with the demo version without doing any tweak).

Areosjc
02-16-2015, 07:30 PM
Here you have two pictures and two print screens from the hardware information given by 3D Mark 11 (no idea what it exactly means, but I got 11730 pts with the demo version without doing any tweak).

Thank you very much, I´m really interested in see if the machine has the dual vent version (like the JH/JZ) or has the single vent version (like the JX/JS/JM) can you please take a picture from the rear air vents and from the bottom of the laptop please???

Thank you!!!

Gatsu55555
02-17-2015, 11:49 AM
I'm still trying to decide between the G751jy and the G750jy.
The G751 is better on the paper (No optimus and, the most important for me, IPS screen) but I think the design of the G751 is childish and too flashy for a person who intends to work with the laptop in an architects office.
My question is: Does the G750jy have the same screen as the older G750 models? Is it really big the difference with the G751 IPS screen.

Thanks!

code9523
02-17-2015, 07:01 PM
Is a g750jy low profile exhausted or a fat one?

Marcheopus
02-21-2015, 06:24 PM
Thank you very much, I´m really interested in see if the machine has the dual vent version (like the JH/JZ) or has the single vent version (like the JX/JS/JM) can you please take a picture from the rear air vents and from the bottom of the laptop please???

Thank you!!!

Photos of the back and bottom sides:

I can't answer for the screen question, no idea...

Areosjc
02-22-2015, 02:53 AM
Thank you so much !! For the display you will need Aida software in order to find the model of the screen, good luck!!

Marcheopus
02-22-2015, 03:55 PM
Thank you so much !! For the display you will need Aida software in order to find the model of the screen, good luck!!

The trial version gave me this:

Monitor Properties:
Monitor Name AU Optronics B173HW02 V1
Monitor ID AUO219D
Manufacturer AUO
Model B173HW02 V1
Monitor Type 17.3" LCD (FHD)
Manufacture Date 2012
Serial Number None
Max. Visible Display Size 381 mm x 214 mm (17.2")
Picture Aspect Ratio 16:9
Horizontal Frequency 30 - 83 kHz
Vertical Frequency 56 - 75 Hz
Maximum Resolution 1920 x 1080
Gamma 2.20
DPMS Mode Support None

Supported Video Modes:
1920 x 1080 Pixel Clock: 141.00 MHz

Gatsu55555
02-23-2015, 05:08 PM
Thank you very much. As it was expected, it's the same monitor the old G750s have.

IchEben
02-23-2015, 06:19 PM
The trial version gave me this:

Monitor Properties:
Monitor Name AU Optronics B173HW02 V1
Monitor ID AUO219D
Manufacturer AUO
Model B173HW02 V1
Monitor Type 17.3" LCD (FHD)
Manufacture Date 2012
Serial Number None
Max. Visible Display Size 381 mm x 214 mm (17.2")
Picture Aspect Ratio 16:9
Horizontal Frequency 30 - 83 kHz
Vertical Frequency 56 - 75 Hz
Maximum Resolution 1920 x 1080
Gamma 2.20
DPMS Mode Support None

Supported Video Modes:
1920 x 1080 Pixel Clock: 141.00 MHz

the specs are saying the resolution is 1920 x 1200 :

http://www.asus.com/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/ASUS_ROG_G750JY/specifications/

is this a mistake?

Areosjc
02-28-2015, 12:01 AM
Seems to be the same found in my G750JX.

Good Luck

sasuke256
03-20-2015, 08:12 PM
Nice machine, but why is it THAT expensive !!
1800euros minimum in France for the 4710/16G/256SSD+1000HDD/980M
come on ! the G751JT is @ 1350euro and the G751JY @ 1600euro..
More availability more lower prices and I may get one !

Maniac9331
05-06-2015, 03:36 PM
Soo guys, who have this G750JY laptop allready, do you recomand it over g751 series or over alienware 17R2?? i have 3k$ to spend and i also have a dilema between this 3, more recomandations are apreciated. thankyou (i don't care if the fans sound like a jet or if the laptop have 5 tons , this kind of things i am not interested in, all i search is performance and fiability) thanks

dragosj
05-14-2015, 12:35 PM
Hi, I have G750JY-T4036D and I opted for this instead of G751JY because of the specs.I was convinced to go to G750JY because of VGA with 8Gb RAM instead of only 4Gb on G751 and it was ~ 1,900 EUR all taxes (24GB RAM, 2 x RAID 0 128GB Sandisk M2 SSD put on an adapter in SATA port, 1TB 7200HD, i7 4710,etc.). It came without OS but I installed it myself with no issues as I have more win 8 licenses.
I know it has Optimus and the screen is TN instead of IPS but I don't care too much. The only thing I'm missing is the DSR option in Nvidia drivers (I'm using latest ones from Nvidia). I don't know why I can't activate DSR. I received as bundle promo made by Nvidia here (in Romania), because of GTX 980M, two games, Witcher 3 and latest Batman.
Also, another important thing for me was the look, while G750JY looks more business, (all black with white illuminated KB - Lenovo T series addicted :) ) G751JY looks more like a toy to me, the red light and paint for me is not very appealing and everybody is using red light for KB and logo (MSI, Lenovo...). It's just a matter of taste but these are my impressions about it after 4-5 days of use.

hmscott
05-15-2015, 09:34 PM
Hi, I have G750JY-T4036D and I opted for this instead of G751JY because of the specs.I was convinced to go to G750JY because of VGA with 8Gb RAM instead of only 4Gb on G751 and it was ~ 1,900 EUR all taxes (24GB RAM, 2 x RAID 0 128GB Sandisk M2 SSD put on an adapter in SATA port, 1TB 7200HD, i7 4710,etc.). It came without OS but I installed it myself with no issues as I have more win 8 licenses.
I know it has Optimus and the screen is TN instead of IPS but I don't care too much. The only thing I'm missing is the DSR option in Nvidia drivers (I'm using latest ones from Nvidia). I don't know why I can't activate DSR. I received as bundle promo made by Nvidia here (in Romania), because of GTX 980M, two games, Witcher 3 and latest Batman.
Also, another important thing for me was the look, while G750JY looks more business, (all black with white illuminated KB - Lenovo T series addicted :) ) G751JY looks more like a toy to me, the red light and paint for me is not very appealing and everybody is using red light for KB and logo (MSI, Lenovo...). It's just a matter of taste but these are my impressions about it after 4-5 days of use.

dragosj, coming from the long line of Stealth cases I also prefer the G750JY look to the G751JY, but after a few months the G751 has grown on me and I could live with it :)

DSR isn't running on G751's yet either (?) as of Nvidia driver 350.12, but eventually it will (?) - supposedly.

One of the things you can do on a G750 that you can't do on a G751, is patch in the Intel USB 3.0 drivers to work and truly support USB 3.0 SuperSpeed mounts.

Windows 8 and Intel USB 3.0 Host Controllers
http://plugable.com/2012/12/01/windows-8-and-intel-usb-3-0-host-controllers

There is a warning to not do it on Windows 8.1 now at the top of the page, but it works fine for me on the G750JH with the latest Intel drivers. The latest driver they mention is 1.0.6.245, and even though I downloaded later USB 3.0 drivers from Intel, my driver version in the devices shows 1.0.6.245.

The G751's get an error that so far hasn't found a workaround.

G751 - AC WLAN only at 7 MB per sec!?
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?55158-G751-AC-WLAN-only-at-7-MB-per-sec!&p=464477&viewfull=1#post464477

Please keep us up to date on how you like the G750JY :)

dragosj
05-17-2015, 04:35 AM
Hi hmscott, after you mentioned USB 3.0 issue I checked to see so I have an issue with USB 3.0. With a Microsoft cheap USB 1.1 mouse plugged and a UE700 USB 3.0 from Adata I get stutters with mouse movements and the speed reported by HWinfo is indeed 2.0 instead of 3.0 for UE700.
I will see if I will apply the patch you mentioned (thank you for the info) because some users reported loosing sleep mode for windows.
For WiFi I have an a/b/g/n model inside and I get between 90 and 120Mbps transfer rate Internet speed (500Mbps Internet connection but limited by WiFi card) and ~ 30MB copying from my server to G750JY (LAN transfer). I attached a print screen with internal speed but anyway I'll wait for a new Intel ac not 7260 as it is problematic (I have a Carbon X1 2014 model and have some issues with it).

Thank you again for your tip with USB 3.0.
Regards,
Dragos

dragosj
05-17-2015, 01:50 PM
Just to clear some things...
I preordered and already paid for the blu-ray disc for the image above :).

hmscott
05-17-2015, 05:39 PM
Just to clear some things...
I preordered and already paid for the blu-ray disc for the image above :).

dragosj, thanks for that, you had us all worried ;)

You can edit posts BTW, and using Advanced, remove images, for future reference, as well as deleting posts - GO advanced and click the Delete radio button, and then the Delete Button to actually complete the delete.

dragosj
05-23-2015, 09:58 AM
does anybody knows what size are the M2 SSD's inside (40mm, 60mm or 80mm)? The ones that are put on the adapter?
Regards,

hmscott
05-26-2015, 08:14 AM
does anybody knows what size are the M2 SSD's inside (40mm, 60mm or 80mm)? The ones that are put on the adapter?
Regards,

dragosj, the holes are drilled for 80mm, but there is enough room for the larger / smaller - you just need to tape down the ends.

And, they are the older M.2 SATA interface, not the newer M.2 PCIE x4 interface, they aren't electrically compatible, even those they physically fit.

octavjutaru
03-24-2016, 04:46 PM
dragosj, the holes are drilled for 80mm, but there is enough room for the larger / smaller - you just need to tape down the ends.

And, they are the older M.2 SATA interface, not the newer M.2 PCIE x4 interface, they aren't electrically compatible, even those they physically fit.

In G750JY the holes are for 2260. Do you know wheather or not does some Crucial M.2 2260 double sided 500GB would fit? Has anyone used theese for replacement?

luciangl
06-07-2016, 10:22 PM
I bought this SSD : Crucial MX200 500GB M.2 Type 2260DS SSD (CT500MX200SSD6) and is very good for my laptop.I think is the best option for the moment.