PDA

View Full Version : G551 HDD and other upgrades

balazs
11-25-2014, 11:44 AM
Hello Forum,

I have a couple quite simple questions, hope someone can help me with it. I would like to put the 1TB HDD in place of the ODD and put an SSD in place of the original hdd slot. I also thought about later on using the half sized msata as cache for the HDD.

-What kind of ODD caddy do i need?
-Did anyone do this switch before, how does the outside of the ODD look?
-What type of connection does the ODD have? Wont it be much slower than the HDD sata3 connection?
-What type of m.2 sata drives can we use in the G551? What is the size limit?
-How can we set up the cache to be used by the HDD? Can we boot from the m.2 sata disk?

-Did anyone try an AC wifi card in this laptop?
-Did anyone try to upgrade the TN panel to an IPS panel? Unfortunately the IPS version is not available in my country.

Thanks in advance!

balazs
11-26-2014, 08:02 AM
Is there really noone on the official ROG forums who knows the answers to these questions?

Is there an official mail where i could ask?

Or should I just simply forget ASUS?

rcolonna
12-04-2014, 02:26 PM
I have replaced the 1tb HDD with a SSD and put the 1tb in place of the ODD. the caddy I purchased was from Amazon and was DBpower brand, I caution you that it is a tight fit when installing into bay but it does work. I would try and research one that would fit better. the one I got is a 9.5 mm size, guess it is just the manufacturer of it. another brand might fit better. the outside of the caddy is flat. I am able to take the faceplate off of the ODD and place on the caddy but chose not to to prevent breaking any tabs off.

uzsoras
04-29-2015, 11:46 AM
I have replaced the 1tb HDD with a SSD and put the 1tb in place of the ODD. the caddy I purchased was from Amazon and was DBpower brand, I caution you that it is a tight fit when installing into bay but it does work. I would try and research one that would fit better. the one I got is a 9.5 mm size, guess it is just the manufacturer of it. another brand might fit better. the outside of the caddy is flat. I am able to take the faceplate off of the ODD and place on the caddy but chose not to to prevent breaking any tabs off.

I heard from othes too that they had problems with the caddy (G551).
I hope i can use what i ordered today. Somebody sad that the 9,5mm is too big for this laptop, but there is no smaller on the market or i cant find any.

Clintlgm
04-29-2015, 02:17 PM
Oh all of the Samsung SSD are 7mm at least the Pro version I have never seen an EVO, I also have an Intel SSD which is 7 mm